Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

SerSpook posted:

I don't think calling a plan that the GM has said has the potential to lead to some pretty negative results is really sensible, to be honest.

I can see that, but Diogenes makes sure to remind us of that every time something is potentially inflammatory. It's expressly not him saying 'this will probably end bad' but him saying 'I want people to be sure that they know they're voting on something that could have significant results'.

quote:

Also, my suggestion (minus the demon part) I'd argue is absolutely the most in character. We are eleven, we memorize stories all the time. We are shocked by these events and just want to sleep, so we just string together what we know of El and leave it at that. The poem even makes sense if we consider it a memory aid we created while swimming in the ocean rather than something devised on the spot.

It's a good argument, and I like that people are presenting it that way. Still sticking with my plan, but it's a great way of framing it in character; Og is a guy who's been taught, very harshly in fact, to recite stories perfectly and on command. I could totally see him doing it, if it's phrased as a story or poem that Jalitha taught him.

Edit: Still worried that the King will be displeased with such a response though. Again, Diogenes makes sure to take previous votes and the like into consideration; if we provide something that implies we have a fervent and exclusive belief in the power of El, when our character, as voted previously, is a dude who believes in both El and Asherah, and the King really can tell if we're lying or not, then it might come off as us being dishonest or hiding something, and just piss him off.

Theglavwen fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Disargeria posted:

I really like how you set this spreadsheet up :v:

So do I! Except I forgot to count my own vote until just now :downsgun:

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Voting for repeating what Jalitha said about El without provoking the King into killing us . We really don't want to be taking any dumb risks this early on.

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.
How about a Disargeria/SerSpook combo?

El is the leader of the Sky-Giants, King and Father of them all, who rules the World. El is the Storm that Comes.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

maxhush posted:

Jorahs coming to get us - The outsiders have killed his brother; A priest of Asherah, stolen his son and taken Asherah's tooth, their most holy relic. The great hunger will guide them to us. Pagams going to go Predator on these demons from the North.

Say;

El is the king of the sky giants. He and his giants send lightning to punish evil people and monsters. My Dad shot lightning at you.

:colbert:

Voting this. 11 year old logic at it's finest.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Holy El, you people are loving morons. Voting Not Maxhush

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

paragon1 posted:

Because Jalitha will translate this word for word, and the mighty king will strike down the traumatized child. And Jalitha will totally just stand there and let that happen.

I wish I could vote Maxhush again, just to watch you cry.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

paragon1 posted:

I'm constantly amazed at how rabid people get over this stuff.

"What's this? A post? Whaforhowmygodno! This insolent forum goer thinks we ought to take an unfriendly stance against the imaginary story king who just decapitated the imaginary story dad of our imaginary story hero, then kidnapped him! I disagree! Forsooth, this poster must be a slavering, slack-jawed imbecile! How can he even post, let alone be allowed to moderate his own actions! I must inform him of this at once!"

Chill out people.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

He may not outright kill us, but being a jerk to the man who just killed our father for basically being a jerk to him is not going to make our life any better. It will make Tudiya consider us the angry, potentially powerful son of the man he just killed right in front of us.

Diogines posted:

"Sweetling" Jalitha says "This is Tudiya, King of Zepath." Jalitha goes on "He says sweetling that the time to cry is over and you need not be afraid because he has saved you and that he did not know he would do so when he left his city, but surely El put wanderlust into his heart to come here. But he says sweetling that-" The man interrupts and says something. Jalitha nods and says something back, then turns back to you. "Sweetling, he says that he has some very important questions for you and I can't help you answer, I can only explain to him what you mean, because he says even though he does not know your words, he is a king and because he is a king, he knows if any person tries to trick him." Tudiya says something else, Jalitha nods. "He asks, have I taught you about El, sweetling?"

He's testing us to see if we can follow him back and be a good member of his society. I doubt being a sassy 11 year old will pass that.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
This will somehow end with us puking up our skeleton.

I'm changing my vote to Not Maxhush.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I'm not voting maxrush because "funny sass," I'm voting maxrush because gently caress you guy who killed our dad. If it pisses him off too much then I guess we'd better run off and try to find jorah.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Theglavwen posted:

I'm constantly amazed at how rabid people get over this stuff.

"What's this? A post? Whaforhowmygodno! This insolent forum goer thinks we ought to take an unfriendly stance against the imaginary story king who just decapitated the imaginary story dad of our imaginary story hero, then kidnapped him! I disagree! Forsooth, this poster must be a slavering, slack-jawed imbecile! How can he even post, let alone be allowed to moderate his own actions! I must inform him of this at once!"

Chill out people.

I'm not surprised that people are getting so upset about how the vote might go. We all know that Og is fictional, but we still care about him as if he were real, so we're all invested in what happens to him. The thought of something seriously bad happening to Og upsets us, so we lash out at people who seem to be leading him down a path with potentially serious negative consequences.

EDIT: Just to be clear: yes, it is silly for us to get upset over fictional characters, but that's how our brains work and we have to make allowances for that.

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 29, 2013

gnarl
Jul 28, 2010
Soiled Meat

Rahul posted:

By the way, in spite of what I posted above, and despite it having no support or momentum, my personal vote remains plan Theglavwen:

Tell them he's boss of the sky giants, and worshipped by the people of the land, and who rules over them the way Asherah rules the sea.

Voting for Rahul's plan.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
In the comedy vein I suggest we tell the king that is funny because we also have the power to tell if people are lying and that apparently he is lying about his ability to tell whether people are lying.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'm going to change my vote to Rahul's plan.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

A RICH WHITE MAN posted:

How about a Disargeria/SerSpook combo?

El is the leader of the Sky-Giants, King and Father of them all, who rules the World. El is the Storm that Comes.

Changing my vote to this. Simple and to the point.

But seriously, guys, our character is 11, not 5. Nor is he an idiot. Saying something that will piss off the incredibly powerful person in front of us from whom we have no defense is idiotic, even if it's what we'd like to say to him. Discretion is the better part of valor, and all that.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Option Maxhush is the closest thing to what a tramatized 11 year old would actually do here. He wouldn't try to do some epic poem out of nowhere or some bullshit. He wouldn't suck up to the people who just killed his loving father--- sure, we and dad weren't on the best of terms, but he was still dad. He'd answer the question he was just asked, and be petulent about it.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

JT Jag posted:

Option Maxhush is the closest thing to what a tramatized 11 year old would actually do here. He wouldn't try to do some epic poem out of nowhere or some bullshit. He wouldn't suck up to the people who just killed his loving father--- sure, we and dad weren't on the best of terms, but he was still dad. He'd answer the question he was just asked, and be petulent about it.

No, a traumatized eleven year old would actually just repeat what he's been told in the past, not really knowing what to say or do. Or just zone out all of this.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

The update is done and will go up soon.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

I'm changing my vote to-

Diogines posted:

Eh, nevermind.

gerg_861
Jan 2, 2009

Diogines posted:

Refresh, refresh, refresh. Thanks again for the entertainment Dio.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Er, sorry! Soon meant about twenty more minutes.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

You and the others are still in the forest. You try to compose your thoughts to answer Tudiya's question and for a moment imagine an epic piece of verse, "El all-knowing, seeing all, El All-father..." but you stammer after a few words. You are a child and today has been an emotional roller-coaster which would be rough even on an adult. Your mother gives you an encouraging smile, as does the enormous man in front of you and you try again.

"El is the coming storm. He is the leader of the sky-giants" you say "king and father of them all. He rules the world. His spear is Smattas and he makes thunder when he fights." Your mother translates, several of the other men laugh but Tudiya does not, he gives them a stern look, they stop laughing. Tudiya motions for you to continue, which you do. "Maranal is a giant who blesses Smattas with lightning and heals sick people. Labaras was a land giant and built the Big Village Baitel. His sons built other big villages like Zepath." Your mother translates, the other outsiders seem surprised, Tudiya remains silent. His eyes are penetrating and you could almost swear he could see right through you. He asks your mother a question but you don't understand it, you don't understand your mother's answer either, but she used the word "truth". Tudiya motions for you to continue.

You continue "The giants never fight because they all work for El though sometimes they trick each other or argue. There are lots of monsters that El and his giants protect us from just like you protected me and my mother today. When you are in trouble you should ask El to save you and he will."

Tudiya says something and your mother bows her head to him and then speaks to you "You did very good, sweetling, the King says he is humbled by your words and that you are lucky to have-" Tudiya raises a hand and cuts her off, he speaks and you suddenly understand him perfectly, the tone of his voice has not changed at all but you suddenly feel it, as if his voice was a thing with weight. "El has truly blessed you child, to have a mother teach you to be a man when she was surrounded by animals for many years." Your mother beams.

Wait. No one seems surprised at Tudiya speaking your tongue, not even your mother, did you just understand his? Did something else occur? No one gives any indication that anything strange has occurred, but something surely just has.

What just happened?

Tudiya says something else in the outsiders language and then walks away. Your mother again interprets. "He says sweetling that we will come back with him and live in Zepath, we will go to a city sweetling, just like in the stories. He also says that first he will give you your Upsherin. Um. That he will cut your hair and give you your new name, so that we can live with them. Its just like a story sweetling and everything will be good from now on, the king only cuts the hair of his own sons, it is a great honor."

Tudiya has walked a bit away. He is now on his knees and has his hands raised towards the sky, open. He seems to be praying. Several of the other outsiders join him, as well as the boy.

You have a few minutes to speak alone with your mother and ask her questions, though when you finish, you...

OPTION A Nod, let Tudiya cut your hair, give you a new name but say nothing to him.
OPTION B Thank Tudiya and tell him you are honored.
OPTION C Thank him, let him cut your hair but protest about being given a new name. Tudiya did not seem to indicate you had any say in the matter, but you are going to disagree anyway.
OPTION D Thank him, let him give you a new name but object to cutting your hair.
OPTION E Refuse to let him cut your hair or give you a new name.
OPTION F Something else. Specify what.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Edit: Count.

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 30, 2013

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Excellent, a chance to break from the past in the form of betraying our ideals. I look forward to the inevitable plot point where our supposed father returns from death and swears revenge.

Voting A because that guy was a jerk anyway.

XOXO
Mar 8, 2013

Ask me about being weaker than a 60 year-old British woman.

Seems to be most reasonable here. We don't have much of a choice.

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009
A. No point in causing a fuss.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

A

I kind of wanted us to keep the hair, but I have a theory here. When we heard the voice in the sea, it came after our hair was cut. I think the hair somehow prevents us from hearing the voice of El/sky-giants.

Besides, the power Tudiya displayed there is interesting, and I think keeping him happy will lead to good things for us in terms of doing much of anything down the line.

edit: Also ask mother what was up with understanding the king right there.

e2: Vote changed.

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 30, 2013

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

D: I wish now we'd asked what the importance of the hair was, but we had it drilled in pretty hard that hair cutting = bad, I think we'd be hanging on to that impression for at least a while. Don't freak out or anything, but object to it.

Names never seemed terribly important though, so whatever, don't upset the frightening magic man any more than necessary. We can always change it back later if it sucks.

Eryxias
Feb 17, 2011

Stay low.

Let's keep rolling with what we've got going.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
B

We've been through a lot today, the king probably doesn't expect us to say much.

EDIT: Changing my vote from A to B. It never hurts to be polite, and it will make Jalitha happy.

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 30, 2013

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Dang my festering hatred quashed again! Hm this gonna be a tough choice for me to rationalize and keep in check with what I think of our character. Ah we'll I'll think on it. Thanks for the update Diogines, good lunch break reading. :v:

XOXO
Mar 8, 2013

Ask me about being weaker than a 60 year-old British woman.

SerSpook posted:

This seems like a good question to ask. I'm voting to ask this too.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Voting F. Collapse and sleep I think we've done enough today. Lets give it a rest and see if the voice speaks to us in our sleep.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

SerSpook posted:

I kind of wanted us to keep the hair, but I have a theory here. When we heard the voice in the sea, it came after our hair was cut. I think the hair somehow prevents us from hearing the voice of El/sky-giants.

Besides, the power Tudiya displayed there is interesting, and I think keeping him happy will lead to good things for us in terms of doing much of anything down the line.

You ask.

"What do you mean, Sweetling?" she says in response.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

A

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Diogines posted:

You ask.

"What do you mean, Sweetling?" she says in response.

Say at one point, but one point only, we understood the king as if he were speaking our tongue or we knew his.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

SerSpook posted:

After some convincing chat on IRC, I'm gonna have to agree with this one. I am angry at this imperious man and his obvious disregard for our village and our way of life. And yet, following him we will learn things about how this world works that could prove invaluable. Don't thank him for it, but humbly submit (for now). Be constantly aware. Og is in your HEART.

Play fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 30, 2013

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.

And better sit still or else we might lose an ear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Globofglob
Jan 14, 2008
D. Don't betray our heritage. Besides, remember what happened last time our hair was cut.

I'm just making it clear I really, really hate this guy and hope we kill him when we're older, both for defiling us and calling our people animals, as well as dooming our village(as far as we know).

Also, its official: Hair-cutting is a part of the El religion. She was trying to convert us when we were young, regardless of how much it hurt us.