Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

A Changed vote

ConfusedPig fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

SerSpook posted:

Say at one point, but one point only, we understood the king as if he were speaking our tongue or we knew his.

"No he didn't, Sweetling, I think your confused, it's been a big day..." your mother says.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Ask mom to top calling you sweetling you're a man grown almost, dammit!

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
And hey, as long as we're asking questions:

Mother, who is my real father?

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

"Jalitha... I mean... mother... Is it wise to tell Tudiya that I am humbly honored by his cutting my hair and naming me? Should I stay silent?"
and

Pththya-lyi posted:

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Are the Athar people truly cannibals? How did you find out?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Voting A

Sure cut our hair whatever we just want to sleep leave us alone.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

A We've decided we're not going to offer any resistence, why start now?

I missed the previous vote, but I have to say that avoiding any choices that might have a negative impact on our character or that don't align with modern ways of thinking and morality can be a poor way to get an interesting story. Having our character sass the king, unintentionally or not, and have him be less will disposed to us could lead to more interesting challenges further in the story. And if we're going to be everything to all men hopefully it is because we have built up that skill during the course of the story.

Play posted:

Or at least not every third word, perhaps.

chiefnewo fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 30, 2013

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Hell yeah, a chance to be the king's stepson! :getin:

Maybe. :crossarms: It's a weird day.

Ask mom:
What made you think that the village people people from the village were cannibals?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Play posted:

This falls into the category of telling her to do something instead of asking for more information. Other people, weigh in if you want to do this or not please.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
A

"You tried to cut my hair once. Was that the same thing?"

quick edit: no to the sweetling thing, let mom be a mom

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Mom, what's so important about hair? And why do they need to give me a different name? I'm OG!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Diogines posted:

This falls into the category of telling her to do something instead of asking for more information. Other people, weigh in if you want to do this or not please.
Disagree. We have seen too much and are too worn out to tell anyone to do anything at this juncture. All we want to do is cry and go to sleep right now. Incidentally:

Arkanomen posted:

Voting F. Collapse and sleep I think we've done enough today. Lets give it a rest and see if the voice speaks to us in our sleep.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Ask her if the sea is far from where we are going.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Pththya-lyi posted:

And hey, as long as we're asking questions:

She looks down at the forest floor. "I... not the man you knew, Sweetling. Ask me again when you are older."

OhYo posted:

"Jalitha... I mean... mother... Is it wise to tell Tudiya that I am humbly honored by his cutting my hair and naming me? Should I stay silent?"
and

dyzzy posted:

A
"You tried to cut my hair once. Was that the same thing?"

HBar posted:

Mom, what's so important about hair? And why do they need to give me a different name? I'm OG!
"All the men of Baitel have their hair first cut when they are young, Sweetling" your mother says. "When Labaras first spoke with El, an ange-... a Sky Giant told him to make himself holy, so he cut his hair short. All of the men of Baitel do it sweetling and all the men of Zepath also. I've never heard of a king cutting the hair of anyone but his own sons before, it is a great honor sweetling, you should thank him. People don't get their names till their hair is first cut... I did not want to name you Og."

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

Are the Athar people truly cannibals? How did you find out?

my dad posted:

Ask mom:
What made you think that the village people people from the village were cannibals?
Your mother opens her mouth as if to speak, then closes her mouth and sighs. "I.. I am sorry Sweetling, but yes. Everyone in the village knew, except the little children."

Diogines fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 30, 2013

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

D We chose the sea people, we can't just completely give up on our heritage in every way.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Ah, angels.

Mother, you used a different word for Sky Giants. An ange. What didn't you say an ange before?

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Also, hey Mom, why are our people cannibals?!

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

my dad posted:

Ah, angels.

Mother, you used a different word for Sky Giants. An ange. What didn't you say an ange before?

"The sky giants aren't giants sweetling... they are angels. They are special people who help protect us and live in the clouds with El. El is not a giant... he is god" she says. Singular.

Raserys posted:

"They were not your people, Sweetling. We are going someplace better, where your people are, where no one eats anyone and where no one will hurt you" she says in a pained tone as she considers the many years she watched your your "father" beat you.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Raserys posted:

I mean, we've never eaten anyone. I think. What's the deal???

(it's the manhood ritual, but Og can't have figured that out yet)

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Edit: On second thought, changing vote. (From A to B.)

Also: What did you want to name me? (Can that be our name now?)

Vavrek fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 30, 2013

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Vavrek posted:

Also: What did you want to name me? (Can that be our name now?)

"I wanted to name you for my grandfather Sweetling... but he is long past. The king will pick a new name for you now."

Random Idiot
Mar 15, 2001

Jewcoon posted:

D We chose the sea people, we can't just completely give up on our heritage in every way.

Seriously, the reason most people gave for starting in the backwoods tribal village was for something different and now everyone seems super-eager to ditch all of the interesting bits and become generic village kid #205, blindly obeying the giant who busted into a peaceful fishing village and killed the spiritual leader.

Voting E. Where does this guy get the balls to try to change who we are?

Kristopher
Jun 28, 2006
Man, to hell with the lot of you. Still Og, still have long hair, still loyal to Asherah. E!

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

Diogines posted:

"All the men of Baitel have their hair first cut when they are young, Sweetling" your mother says. "When Labaras first spoke with El, an ange-... a Sky Giant told him to make himself holy, so he cut his hair short. All of the men of Baitel do it sweetling and all the men of Zepath also. I've never heard of a king cutting the hair of anyone but his own sons before, it is a great honor sweetling, you should thank him. People don't get their names till their hair is first cut... I did not want to name you Og."
That's all I needed to know.

"I am honored, and humbled by your cutting and naming. Thank you."

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

For the record, people who want to retain our spiritual identity, there's no way we get out of this without getting our hair cut. It's just not going to happen.

We might be able to talk our way into keeping our name, though. At least we'd hold on to that.

Globofglob
Jan 14, 2008
"When you cut our hair when we were young, you must have known what would happen. Every child in the village hated me for it. Also, there are many gods. Asherah is a god too."

Ask Jalitha this.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Diogines posted:

She looks down at the forest floor. "I... not the man you knew, Sweetling. Ask me again when you are older."

YOU loving TEASE

quote:

I've never heard of a king cutting the hair of anyone but his own sons before, it is a great honor sweetling, you should thank him.

Okay, I'll take your advice. Changed my vote from A to B.

Also, I'm okay with her calling us Sweetling. She's had a hard life, let her call us what she wants.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

"Fine. Cut my stupid hair, I hate it. But tell him that when he chooses a name it better still be Og."

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Diogines posted:

"I wanted to name you for my grandfather Sweetling... but he is long past. The king will pick a new name for you now."

Now we understand why she calls us "Sweetling" all the time. It was her grandfather's name!

Also, I have changed my vote (from A):
(Thank him in the tongue of his people, if possible.)

Vavrek fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 30, 2013

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Globofglob posted:

"When you cut our hair when we were young, you must have known what would happen. Every child in the village hated me for it. Also, there are many gods. Asherah is a god too."

Ask Jalitha this.

This is a statement, not a question. Weigh in if you want to say this, folks.

As a general rule of thumb:

Questions for information-Fire away!
Statements-Get input/possible mini vote, unless they are truly innocuous
Inflamatory statements-Also, mini vote

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

D

I suppose there's nothing stopping us form getting our ritualistic hair cut, then just growing it again during our rebellious teenage goth Asherah phase. But yea, keep the hair.

In regards to who our real dad is, perhaps Asherah went all Zeus on Jalitha before she washed up at our village. Maybe we'll still have an Asherah connection after all.

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 30, 2013

Globofglob
Jan 14, 2008
Haha, doubt anyone's gonna actually vote for that honestly.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

D. When I voted for this option originally it said the villagers were my people and my father was the high priest and that's what I'm staying with.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Random Idiot posted:

become generic village kid #205

See, I don't think that's what's going to happen. It sounds like Tudiya is adopting us, and while we may not be as important as his biological children, we'll probably occupy an honored place in Zepath society.

TenWren
Jan 22, 2012

D. Keeping the hair, if nothing else.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

Random Idiot posted:

Seriously, the reason most people gave for starting in the backwoods tribal village was for something different and now everyone seems super-eager to ditch all of the interesting bits and become generic village kid #205, blindly obeying the giant who busted into a peaceful fishing village and killed the spiritual leader.

Voting E. Where does this guy get the balls to try to change who we are?

Clearly we should have chosen the city life so we could wash ashore after a disastrous storm hits during a boat trip and get washed up on a tiny remote island.

Also I vote

Random Idiot
Mar 15, 2001

Diogines posted:

This is a statement, not a question. Weigh in if you want to say this, folks.

Yes, this event right here is one of the main reasons I never bought into Jalitha, the perfect caring mother bit. There's no way she lived with them for a year and didn't know cutting Og's hair would cause a shitstorm. Even Og knew, so this has to be bothering him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
The hair must go.

Deadly Ham Sandwich fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 30, 2013