Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Any tips on using the knee mortar?

I just aim and pray. No idea how to calculate where the shells will land.

Mousewheel while aiming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Orv posted:

I really like both IJ and Guadal but I might have to start playing on servers that don't have voting. I also seem to be witnessing a lot of contradictory action compared to the rest of the people in this thread. A bunch of you said you never see Axis win Guadalcanal but I see them win 7/10 it seems like.

The first two points are the big stumbling block for public games on Guadalcanal. They'll only drop with a lazy Axis team if the Allies are exceedingly bad. Otherwise, the Axis commander and squad leaders have to play well enough to coordinate smoke and artillery.

Mushball
May 23, 2012
Can I get some general pointers on how to shoot dudes before they shoot me? I find it's much less fun playing as an allied rifleman due to the fact I keep on getting killed by my unseen axis counterparts that my semi-auto rifle doesn't seem that potent compared to my arisaka rifle as Japanese.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

The spawn area protection seems very broken in favor of the Americans when I play. It's frustratingly common for the game to decide I'm in the enemy's spawn zone when I'm far from it, while the enemy team is literally able to toast me with a flamethrower right as I spawn. I got blasted by an MG after spawning on another map. By far the worst though, was the game suddenly saying I was in the enemy spawn, gave me a countdown timer, and when it reached 0 nothing happened and I had text and red borders on my screen and it wouldn't go away until I died. Has anyone else had frustration with the spawn protection system?

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Someone needs to make a mutator that allows people who were already in what is now the spawn-protected area to stay until they are either killed or leave it.

An Enormous Boner fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 29, 2013

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Mushball posted:

Can I get some general pointers on how to shoot dudes before they shoot me? I find it's much less fun playing as an allied rifleman due to the fact I keep on getting killed by my unseen axis counterparts that my semi-auto rifle doesn't seem that potent compared to my arisaka rifle as Japanese.

Don't be afraid to shoot at things you *think* might be enemies, even if it's just moving bushes. Use the semi-auto to your advantage and shoot at someone til they stop twitching. Don't stay in one place; your muzzle flashes are the best way to find you and you're bound to be shot a few seconds after firing if you just camp an entire match.

You can always get more ammo.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I remember when this game was going to be free :allears:

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

SHISHKABOB posted:

It is.. kind of. You can play, but not do anything but rifleman.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hate the Arisaka sights. The boxed in sights makes me overshoot because i think the top iron bit is the actual aim. gently caress.

The Springfield suffers from this but not as bad.

I miss my Mosin.

Microsoft Weird
Sep 11, 2007

SHISHKABOB posted:

:worship: Oh great and mighty troll. :worship: allow me to make a godly offering upon your altar, for there are haters who actually believe this. As much as TWI deserves goon scorn, bitching about the :10bux: is unfair.

Rising Storm was never mentioned as a "free DLC," RS was designed as an expansion, and as soon as Tripwire took the mod team under their wing it became a standalone paid release. This all took place long ago, before RO2 was displayed @ E3 2010!

John Gibson (TWI) posted:

[...]We would reach out to the mod community for Red Orchestra and the modding community at large and try and assemble a team of the best modders in the industry. We would then offer them the opportunity to work on a project under the guidance of Tripwire Interactive with an opportunity to actually earn some real money for their work. These guys would get early access to the modding SDK and actually be developing the expansion in parallel with Heroes of Stalingrad.

Alan Wilson (TWI) posted:

We wanted to be able to expand on the original theater for RO. We also wanted to get behind the modders who have done so much work on RO over the last few years. This way, a bunch of them get a great opportunity both to show what they can do AND earn money – and we get extra material for Heroes at a reasonably early stage. Most good mods for games take a year or two to make and we wanted this material available a lot sooner than that.

Microsoft Weird fucked around with this message at 07:51 on May 29, 2013

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Orv posted:

I really like both IJ and Guadal but I might have to start playing on servers that don't have voting. I also seem to be witnessing a lot of contradictory action compared to the rest of the people in this thread. A bunch of you said you never see Axis win Guadalcanal but I see them win 7/10 it seems like.

Yeah, I usually see Axis win on that one.

gimpfarfar
Jan 25, 2006

It's time to play Spot the Looney!

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Yeah, I usually see Axis win on that one.

I think the initial impression of Guadalcanal made a lot of people think it was balanced in favor for the allies, but there were similar issues on some RO2 maps when it was released, where the balance later shifted when people had time to learn the maps and figure out the mechanics.

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
im 6 levels away from my officer sword. after that ill chop someone up and never play this again

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

wikipe tama posted:

im 6 levels away from my officer sword. after that ill chop someone up and never play this again

Same but trench gun

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Is this game playable on a laptop? I can play Counterstrike: Global ops fine on this thing, but I can't play Far cry 2. So. . .

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Uh what, according to the Steam page the release is tomorrow? That was... sudden.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Double Bill posted:

Uh what, according to the Steam page the release is tomorrow? That was... sudden.

And not a single tank was made.

EvilHobo
Dec 28, 2008

Mans posted:

And not a single tank was made.

Heh.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

schizopol posted:

:worship: Oh great and mighty troll. :worship: allow me to make a godly offering upon your altar, for there are haters who actually believe this. As much as TWI deserves goon scorn, bitching about the :10bux: is unfair.

Rising Storm was never mentioned as a "free DLC," RS was designed as an expansion, and as soon as Tripwire took the mod team under their wing it became a standalone paid release. This all took place long ago, before RO2 was displayed @ E3 2010!

It was going to be a free mod. I'd probably have prefered it to stay that way too since it wouldn't have TWI's dirty hands all over.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I mean, the game is relatively bug-free compared to the launch of RO2 (helps that it's exactly the same engine) and I could not give less of a poo poo about tanks so it's basically good to go as far as I go. But still, it seems... hasty to release it so soon after the paid beta.

PROTOSTORM!!!
Oct 24, 2010
Can someone help me out with a beta? http://steamcommunity.com/id/youaretheloser

Would pick up the game if it will run well, should go okay says Sysreq but I'm real wary.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

The game releases tomorrow. I wouldn't worry about the beta.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Do stats reset?

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Do stats reset?

Yep.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

SaltLick posted:

It was going to be a free mod. I'd probably have prefered it to stay that way too since it wouldn't have TWI's dirty hands all over.

Do you remember what the other two (?) mods were going to be? They were only mentioned a few times in the first years of RO2 but I can't remember what. Gurkhas or Australians maybe?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

moths posted:

Do you remember what the other two (?) mods were going to be? They were only mentioned a few times in the first years of RO2 but I can't remember what. Gurkhas or Australians maybe?

Vietnam and world war I.

Guerrilla Warfare
Feb 22, 2008
Is anyone else getting lag spikes during beta play? Servers show up in the browser with 40 less ping than in-game and my ping has a tendency to jump to 150-200 at times. As far as I know, this is the only game I have installed that does it.

EvilHobo
Dec 28, 2008

Mans posted:

Vietnam and world war I.

Both of these mods have asked for my help within the last month but nobody seems to understand me when I try to tell them that I am an incompetent hack when it comes to modding/mapping.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Did they change something that forces minimum foliage now? I had managed to turn trees and grass completely off, and now they're back with a vengeance.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

SERPUS posted:

Did they change something that forces minimum foliage now? I had managed to turn trees and grass completely off, and now they're back with a vengeance.

Low became the new Medium or something like that. It happened in a patch.

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Turn off the fountain dear, it's just me.
Nap Ghost
Steam just replaced my RO2 install with "Rising Storm/Red Orchesta 2 Multiplayer", so I guess its out now.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Rolling Scissors posted:

Steam just replaced my RO2 install with "Rising Storm/Red Orchesta 2 Multiplayer", so I guess its out now.

Steam rolls over at 1pm EST so they probably just put the update in the queue with that.

So... yay, we get to continue playing exactly the same game we were playing, just with the addition of people that didn't pay to get in and will play it like vRO2 (hide in windows/bushes and snipe) :toot:

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
About the Garand reload"ping"... I think its possible to fake it without the veteran unlock. When you lie prone you can start a reload, wich makes the soldier eject the magazine with the familiar ping sound. However you can cancel this reload without any consequence by moving right after the ping.

But I'm not sure if this actually produces a ping the enemy can hear. I havent gotten the chance to test it with a friend yet.

GyverMac fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 30, 2013

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
This game doesn't have Steam forums so it makes me wary to buy it, but how is it overall?

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
Is it worth it to pay the extra bucks to buy RO2 also? Do you guys know why the "upgrade" button disappeared anyways? That would've been my best choice :/

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
So with the influx of new players the IQ seems to have dropped sharply. Loads of shitheads who just found out they have mics and find it hilarious to sing or use voice-changer, or do the "LOL, RACISM" with endless repetitions of "SHAMEFUR DISPRAY". Also, poo poo commanders without mics.

Christ, I think I'll wait out the transition period rather than subject myself to this.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Cable posted:

Is it worth it to pay the extra bucks to buy RO2 also? Do you guys know why the "upgrade" button disappeared anyways? That would've been my best choice :/

RO2 differs slightly in mechanics (the two sides are much more equal compared to American/Japanese differences) but mostly the difference is in tone and style. RS is about running through a colorful jungle and stabbing guys with swords. vRO2 is about having to listen to your Russian soldier beg for his life as he bleeds out in the snow, crying to his friends to help him even though he knows they can do nothing to save him, until he collapses and dies cold, alone, and unloved thousands of miles from home.

It's not bad, it's certainly different and interesting. But it's a *lot* darker.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Also Rising Storm is a lot more fun as a game.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer
So where are goons playing this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

An Enormous Boner posted:

Also Rising Storm is a lot more fun as a game.

No joke, i don't think i can go back to RO2 after this. The maps and game mechanics are just too good. Why the gently caress do i want to go back to the peek-a-boo game that punishes me for attacking a point (because you have to putz around in the open for minutes even if you don't want to).

• Locked thread