Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

GrAviTy84 posted:

~~ahem~~ the ONETRUE martini is gin, stirred (never shaken), served straight up. :colbert:
As a point of fact, a martini is by definition a cocktail and a cocktail is by definition a mixed drink. Gin served neat is not a mixed drink, ergo not a cocktail, ergo not a martini.

I mean far be it from me from telling anyone how to take their drinks. But if you want gin there's already a perfectly serviceable way to order it without further corruption of the long-suffering sobriquet `martini'---just say `gin'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

SubG posted:

As a point of fact, a martini is by definition a cocktail and a cocktail is by definition a mixed drink. Gin served neat is not a mixed drink, ergo not a cocktail, ergo not a martini.

I mean far be it from me from telling anyone how to take their drinks. But if you want gin there's already a perfectly serviceable way to order it without further corruption of the long-suffering sobriquet `martini'---just say `gin'.

I like my shaker rinsed with vermouth before the ice goes in. I was merely stating vodka and shaking does not a martini make.

Dash of celery bitters can be cool, too.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I find martini ratios of more than 8:1 or so to be tiresome, and I almost always mix mine somewhere between 6:1 and 3:1. Good, fresh vermouth is a wonderful thing.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I drink my martinis straight from the bottle aka Lohan style.

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

where da white womens at?
I am joining in on the pro vermouth side. You need fresh, good, vermouth though - otherwise yeah, just drink straight liquor. Bad tasting vermouth makes a cocktail taste awful.

Taste your vermouth before you put it in your drink.. if you don't like the taste of it, you won't like the taste of it in your drink. It's the same rule as not using wine you wouldn't drink inside your food.

My preferences:

For martinis, gin and this guy:
http://www.dolin.fr/gb/vermout_dry_dolin.html

For manhattans, rye and this guy:
http://www.specialitybrands.com/brands/antica-formula-vermouth

Once you fix the vermouth, I like a 2:1 ratio.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Appl posted:

I am joining in on the pro vermouth side. You need fresh, good, vermouth though - otherwise yeah, just drink straight liquor. Bad tasting vermouth makes a cocktail taste awful.

Taste your vermouth before you put it in your drink.. if you don't like the taste of it, you won't like the taste of it in your drink. It's the same rule as not using wine you wouldn't drink inside your food.

My preferences:

For martinis, gin and this guy:
http://www.dolin.fr/gb/vermout_dry_dolin.html

For manhattans, rye and this guy:
http://www.specialitybrands.com/brands/antica-formula-vermouth

Once you fix the vermouth, I like a 2:1 ratio.

This is a good opinion. I usually mix my martinis like 3:1

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

GrAviTy84 posted:

~~ahem~~ the ONETRUE martini is gin, stirred (never shaken), served straight up. :colbert:

the rest can vary.
I prefer with a twist. Used to prefer Hendricks, but I think I'm getting over it lately. Been leaning Farmer's Botanical or Junipero.

This. In norway, drinks are only sold with 1.3oz booze, so if you order a martini it's topped off with vermouth. Yipes.

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

I like a dirty martini with AT LEAST one part olive juice and like, five olives stabbed onto a stirstick. I think at this point it's more of a disgusting olive juice cocktail, but it's great.

e: VVV I think it depends who I'm with. In good company I'll make a 3:1 and top my glass to the brim with olive juice so it's probably closer to 3:1:4, but in polite company it's closer to 3:1:1. v :shobon: v I don't drink often otherwise the salt may have killed me by now, heh.

Clavietika fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 29, 2013

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

One part olive juice is quite dependant on how many parts gin.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

BlueGrot posted:

This. In norway, drinks are only sold with 1.3oz booze

Wait, what? They limit the amount of booze per drink?

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Yes. Also, you have to pour the mixing ingredients into the booze. It's illegal to booze up soda, but legal to dilute booze with soda. If you want a double drink you have to order an additional shot. Our gin & tonics are awful. 6/10ths tonic.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I remember in Ireland, all the bars had (by law) electronic volume-measuring dispensers attached to each bottle, so you would get whatever exact amount law required. When I expressed skceptism of the necessity of such an expense (every bottle in every bar, nationwide), the Irish were bewildered: "What, you mean you would just trust a bartender to pour you a drink? If it was a mixed drink, how would you ever know if you got what you paid for?"

I think of that response as "CountriesWithNoTippingCulture.txt"

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Weather was nice enough that we've been working on getting the garden ploughed and things watered, so as a way to celebrate that, we had a grilled meal last night. Everything on the grill - goat chops, bread, fennel/peppers/zucchini/etc., served with tatziki under the big walnut trees and the grape vines that have just started to put on little fruit buds. I love summer so much.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Weather was nice enough that we've been working on getting the garden ploughed and things watered, so as a way to celebrate that, we had a grilled meal last night. Everything on the grill - goat chops, bread, fennel/peppers/zucchini/etc., served with tatziki under the big walnut trees and the grape vines that have just started to put on little fruit buds. I love summer so much.

Our weather in the UK has been really poo poo for the most part: cold and/or rainy. My tulips did come up beautifully for the first time though, and they've given me a lot of pleasure. Just booked a holiday: 2 weeks in Tuscany. It has better be hot.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
I love Martinis! My favorite Martini is a Strawberry Chocopolitan.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

BlueGrot posted:

Yes. Also, you have to pour the mixing ingredients into the booze. It's illegal to booze up soda, but legal to dilute booze with soda. If you want a double drink you have to order an additional shot. Our gin & tonics are awful. 6/10ths tonic.

Whenever I feel down about draconic Swedish drinking laws I can console myself by thinking "at least it's not Norway".

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

Squashy Nipples posted:

I remember in Ireland, all the bars had (by law) electronic volume-measuring dispensers attached to each bottle, so you would get whatever exact amount law required. When I expressed skceptism of the necessity of such an expense (every bottle in every bar, nationwide), the Irish were bewildered: "What, you mean you would just trust a bartender to pour you a drink? If it was a mixed drink, how would you ever know if you got what you paid for?"

Do American bartenders just eyeball it then? I think the idea in the Netherlands is that one of those measures = one standard measure of alcohol so that one beer equals one glass of wine equals one whisky and so on in terms of how much pure alcohol they contain. Plus everyone wants to get exactly what they pay for/not give more than was paid for because Dutch people. :cryingclog:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
The eyeball system rules and favors heavy tippers and/or charming drunks so I usually do well under it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A lot places use those tops that are supposed to more or less measure out a shot, so it just means the bartender has to turn the bottle upright before she can continue pouring.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
With a whiskey gate, a 2 second pour is about 1.5oz o alcohol.

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

bunnielab posted:

The eyeball system rules and favors heavy tippers and/or charming drunks so I usually do well under it.

The trick in non-tipping cultures is a little small-talk followed by a tip. Not more than the price of one drink but enough to make them feel special.

E: Unless you're buying for a large group, tip well with a large group and be treated like kings.

PiratePing fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 29, 2013

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

BlueGrot posted:

Squashy Nipples posted:

:911:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBbBfrKsVqY

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Martinis on the rocks are not a new thing or an abomination, they've just fallen out of fashion. "up, or on the rocks?" used to be a question a bartender would ask after "vodka or gin?"

I like potato vodka martinis on the rocks, fairly dry and a tiny bit dirty- no olives. I have yet to be struck by lightning or strangled by an indignant mixologist.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

PiratePing posted:

Do American bartenders just eyeball it then? I think the idea in the Netherlands is that one of those measures = one standard measure of alcohol so that one beer equals one glass of wine equals one whisky and so on in terms of how much pure alcohol they contain. Plus everyone wants to get exactly what they pay for/not give more than was paid for because Dutch people. :cryingclog:

Yep, they just pour. We are probably kidding ourselves, but we think of mixing drinks as more art then science. A good bartender here never measures anything.

And yes, while I do love the Dutch, holy crap what a nation of cheapskates.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
First they came for the martini, and I did not speak up, because I was underage. Then they came for the manhattan, and I didn't speak up, because whatever gets people drinking whiskey is a start. Then they came for the pimms cup but whatever, that owns.

But if you start loving with the negroni I will bury you all. Xoxo, VM, your humble cocktologist.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Vegetable Melange posted:

First they came for the martini, and I did not speak up, because I was underage. Then they came for the manhattan, and I didn't speak up, because whatever gets people drinking whiskey is a start. Then they came for the pimms cup but whatever, that owns.

But if you start loving with the negroni I will bury you all. Xoxo, VM, your humble cocktologist.

Well that was quick :godwin:

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Without stirring up that old can of worms, norwegians usually don't tip.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

I've never worked in the South of Ireland, but in the North we use measures to demonstrate that the customer is getting at least a standard 35ml measure of their spirit. Cocktails get as much as the drink needs/the management will let you use, and you'll get more than a standard measure if you a) are nice or b) tip.

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yep, they just pour. We are probably kidding ourselves, but we think of mixing drinks as more art then science. A good bartender here never measures anything.

And yes, while I do love the Dutch, holy crap what a nation of cheapskates.

High end places pour by hand but in regular bars you get a measure.

Most people feel a good cocktail is one where you basically only taste alcohol because that is Good Value For Your Money. The most deserved of stereotypes :saddowns:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Wroughtirony posted:

Martinis on the rocks are not a new thing or an abomination, they've just fallen out of fashion. "up, or on the rocks?" used to be a question a bartender would ask after "vodka or gin?"

I like potato vodka martinis on the rocks, fairly dry and a tiny bit dirty- no olives. I have yet to be struck by lightning or strangled by an indignant mixologist.

They're not new, but they're definitely an abomination. They've fallen out of fashion because the fashion has gotten better. The 70s-90s were dark decades for cocktails, but we've come a long way in the last 10 years. Also if you're ordering from a bar of course they're not going to strangle you. That's why I do all of my mixing at home, where I don't worry about tips.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Wroughtirony posted:

well sure, it's the hospitality industry. Thomas Keller will serve you a burnt steak if you ask for it. Doesn't mean it's right just means the bartender wants your money more than he wants to be right.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

PiratePing posted:

High end places pour by hand but in regular bars you get a measure.

My experience is the complete opposite. Normal bars just count out a pour for your jack and coke or whatever, high-end cocktail bars do precise measurements so your Aviation comes out perfect.

Or were you talking about those horrible pour-limit devices?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Vegetable Melange posted:

I use a negroni as the litmus test for a bar/bartender. If they can't do one right I will not bother to order any more mixed drinks.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

mindphlux posted:

good man. I'm not kidding about warning you not to search for it. :(

Pfft. That was not remotely terrible, internet-wise. That liquid looked fake, anyway. Once you've seen "3 men 1 hammer" and "1 man 1 jar," nothing else is the same.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:psyduck: Somehow I missed 3 men 1 hammer. What do I drink to get rid of this taste in my mouth?

E: VVVV :golfclap: Well done.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 30, 2013

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

:psyduck: Somehow I missed 3 men 1 hammer. What do I drink to get rid of this taste in my mouth?

a screwdriver ahahah

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
man sometimes it's really loving hard not to troll people on facebook

have fun with your sludgeburgers, girl I knew in elementary school! and they'll be totally gluten free too!

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 30, 2013

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Wife bought ground turkey for me to make turkey burgers once. I added an egg, some Worcestershire, and some other stuff because I knew it'd be a bit dry. 99% sure I cooked them right, and they were loving awful. It's the dryest drat meat ever. I can make a far better beet and lentil based veggie burger, so I'll stick to that for my healthy burg.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
I make turkey burgers every now and then, and they usually turn out pretty well. I shop at the same market that Mindphlux does and their ground turkey is really good (as far as I know at least). I still mix it with sriracha and some fish sauce though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Wife bought ground turkey for me to make turkey burgers once. I added an egg, some Worcestershire, and some other stuff because I knew it'd be a bit dry. 99% sure I cooked them right, and they were loving awful. It's the dryest drat meat ever. I can make a far better beet and lentil based veggie burger, so I'll stick to that for my healthy burg.
Apparently a trick is to roast some eggplants whole and then put the eggplant goop into the raw meat. But it's still gonna be a turkey burger.