Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Voting for E, but without being rude. Like "Thank you, but I really like who I am now and want to keep my name and hair the way it is."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I already voted but to clarify I want to accept the naming and haircutting so that we can get in tight with this badass jerk king and stab him in the back once we've got what we need from him.

Althair
Jul 26, 2006
words are weapons
B The one who has comforted us all our life continues to comfort us in the aftermath of the terrible battle. So many revelations, so much new information to grapple with for a boy raised in the unchanging way of the people on the beach. From this awe-inspiring monarch we have had praise and an affirmation that El and the other giants are guardians and allies. We believed in the Giants and in the Great Fish, but it seems like Asherah is only to be appeased, whereas El and his family bring aid and comfort to people.

We are traumatized, but clever, bereft of one parental figure but wrapped up in a mother's love and surrounded by men of great presence. Our mother tells us we are being honored, cleansed, restored. I believe we wish very much to be cleansed of the pain and the horror of what we've just seen. Let us do this thing which delights our mother and the king.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
B... I can't figure out how to post the icons from a mobile. :(

Given the revelation about cannibalism and our ignorance of it being called 'sweetling' all the time is a bit creepy.

I don't think the hair is what we think it is to Asherah. Bloooood is. We were bleeding when the sea spoke and our hair was already cut. Dad was bleeding when he called lightning. (We will always regret not tasting a bit of Dad! What were we thinking!?!)

We will have many names and be known in different places by many appellations! Og is just the first and it will not go away. We will be Og of the Many Names. Og will be buried and lost and our secret name of power! (Particularly once they go back and slay our entire village.). Hope we don't have to end up killing New Mom to keep it a secret. That would be a shame.

I vote B, with words of thanks and beginnings.

Jorah is almost certainly coming. I would ask Jalitha about this. I want to know does she love him? Will she try to get him killed? Will she try to convert him? What is her plan? She must have considered it. Or maybe it is just pretty stories to her? And grandad's name. We want to know it. Who was he, if she won't talk about New Dad.

We should also take some time to grieve Old Dad and we should pray to Asherah in whatever secret way we know to protect our village. Mind gently caress though it is for us, we should also pray to El for this, as we have done in the past.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 30, 2013

Klingtron
Sep 10, 2011
B

Also ask mom if Uncle Jorah was a canibal

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Diogines posted:

This is a statement, not a question. Weigh in if you want to say this, folks.

As a general rule of thumb:

Questions for information-Fire away!
Statements-Get input/possible mini vote, unless they are truly innocuous
Inflamatory statements-Also, mini vote

I'm all for making the statement about cutting our hair, but don't mention Asherah.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Incidentally, here's the vote icon album if anyone lost the link. It just makes it a little easier to pick out the votes.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

HiHo ChiRho posted:

I'm all for making the statement about cutting our hair, but don't mention Asherah.

Seconded.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

changed from A.

"Why did you cut my hair despite knowing that doing so would cause huge problems for us?"

e: If i can't loophole finding out why she cut our hair by formulating it through a question then ignore it.

ConfusedPig fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 30, 2013

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah,

Changed from A.

edit: Also, will we be near the sea where we are going? Asking Jalitha.

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013
A

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Diogines posted:

This is a statement, not a question. Weigh in if you want to say this, folks.

Yeah, I'm up for asking that.

To all those who do want to go placidly for the hair-cut (and it certainly seems like we might be heading for it whether we want to or not), I encourage you to remember that it means fully rejecting our past, and any hope of rescue; even if we do get a chance to escape, or get rescued by Jorah or Pagem or whatnot, with our hair cut there's no way they'd take us back, or that we could go back. Allowing our hair to be cut without qualm means that you've decided the character rejects Asherah and those he's known as his people and family, based pretty solely on Jalitha's statements. That might be fine, but I hope you've got a good idea of the kid's character in mind, to reconcile his previously established belief and dedication to Asherah, his stories and principles, and the ocean, with his now apparent willingness to completely disregard it all and go along with King Handsome. Could be scared, could be oddly cunning and long-term planning, could be entirely convinced by Jalitha's stories and antagonistic towards his people, could be weak-willed and easily led, whatever.

Beef-Stew
Feb 1, 2005
mmmmmmm... Beefy
Welp, time to turn our back on everything we knew and start a new life. A

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

C - as politely as we can manage.

Ask Jalitha what will happen to the other villagers, namely our "mom" and uncle Jorah.

BoyG
Nov 24, 2004

Have you heard the tale of the Cannibal King of Kavodel?
I'm sorry but E

WE ARE OG

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!

Theglavwen posted:

Yeah, I'm up for asking that.

To all those who do want to go placidly for the hair-cut (and it certainly seems like we might be heading for it whether we want to or not), I encourage you to remember that it means fully rejecting our past, and any hope of rescue; even if we do get a chance to escape, or get rescued by Jorah or Pagem or whatnot, with our hair cut there's no way they'd take us back, or that we could go back. Allowing our hair to be cut without qualm means that you've decided the character rejects Asherah and those he's known as his people and family, based pretty solely on Jalitha's statements. That might be fine, but I hope you've got a good idea of the kid's character in mind, to reconcile his previously established belief and dedication to Asherah, his stories and principles, and the ocean, with his now apparent willingness to completely disregard it all and go along with King Handsome. Could be scared, could be oddly cunning and long-term planning, could be entirely convinced by Jalitha's stories and antagonistic towards his people, could be weak-willed and easily led, whatever.

Yeah, I'm not really sure I'm liking the way this character is going. Placidly accepting this guy that just murdered our father and two of the only people we know as our king and letting him circumcise us cut our hair off and erase our entire identity because he has bulging muscles and a nice beard just seems way the gently caress off. I can't get behind that.

E

Kyyp
Jan 14, 2007

Going with B.

Og is a dumb name and we should thank him for giving us a better one.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Other: Choose another name for ourselves. Beaky

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Bularin posted:

Because Jalitha will translate this word for word, and the mighty king will strike down the traumatized child. And Jalitha will totally just stand there and let that happen.

I wish I could vote Maxhush again, just to watch you cry.

Theglavwen posted:

I'm constantly amazed at how rabid people get over this stuff.

"What's this? A post? Whaforhowmygodno! This insolent forum goer thinks we ought to take an unfriendly stance against the imaginary story king who just decapitated the imaginary story dad of our imaginary story hero, then kidnapped him! I disagree! Forsooth, this poster must be a slavering, slack-jawed imbecile! How can he even post, let alone be allowed to moderate his own actions! I must inform him of this at once!"

Chill out people.

Hahaha. I called the people voting for maxhush's option stupid because it was loving stupid, not because I have some special spergy attachment to this game. Take your self-righteous internet indignation and gently caress off.

Oh and B.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

"Jali-... mother. Is Jorah, Pagem or another from Athar going to come get me?"

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

paragon1 posted:

Hahaha. I called the people voting for maxhush's option stupid because it was loving stupid, not because I have some special spergy attachment to this game. Take your self-righteous internet indignation and gently caress off.

Oh and B.

You've got a weird sense of 'indignation', I'm hardly indignant that some people are driven to disparage other posters based on how they want to play the game, I'm flabbergasted.

That being said, 'stupid' implies a goal, some metric by which its effectiveness can be praised or demeaned, so it only makes sense to call the option 'stupid' if you've decided that one direction or outcome is the 'smart' or correct one. Unless you honestly think that presenting theological confusion at best, or calling our kidnappers a bad name at worst, would lead to the King striking the head off of an 11 year old kid he just saved, and ending the game, that comes down to a value choice on a certain direction.

So maybe, again, chill out and accept that other people like to play the game differently than you do. Dickwad.

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
Mother, how did you end up in the village?

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I am totally indignant! I don't have one dignant left!

I remember my first trip to the barber shop. Traumatizing! Horrific! I have completely lost all sense of perspective and am reliving this trauma again and again in this game!!! Make it stop! Make it stop!!!!

Edit: I should add that Diogenes has done specific things very well, having to do with frame and such, to elicit exactly what you are complaining about. He should take your whinging as a great compliment given how young the game is.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 30, 2013

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Theglavwen posted:

Allowing our hair to be cut without qualm means that you've decided the character rejects Asherah and those he's known as his people and family, based pretty solely on Jalitha's statements. That might be fine, but I hope you've got a good idea of the kid's character in mind, to reconcile his previously established belief and dedication to Asherah, his stories and principles, and the ocean, with his now apparent willingness to completely disregard it all and go along with King Handsome.
The way I see it, we never liked Asherah. He's real, and he's important, but the reason we started paying attention to lessons is because as a socially outcast 11-year-old we had escapist fantasies of gaining superpowers. And of course, we also craved dad's approval. But now we see that even though his powers were exactly what we dreamed, they were still dumb and useless. And it sort feels like a betrayal that dad made us go through so much pain and time and effort for something that turned out to be a bunch of lame overhyped poo poo.

Meanwhile, these outsiders are offering us real escape, have better powers and all sorts of cool stuff we never dreamed of, and they're reassuring us that we're just as special as we always knew we were. And holy poo poo, Jalitha's our mom?! Somehow deep down, we always knew it. It feels right to run to her when we're scared.

But most of all, I think everything's feeling very surreal for Og right now. He's in shock, and that makes him more suggestible and malleable than he'd be in more stable circumstances.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Um, I'm Og. I've always been Og. If I get a new name, can I still be Og as well?

You said El's god. What do you mean? Is he like Asherah?

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Theglavwen posted:

D: I wish now we'd asked what the importance of the hair was, but we had it drilled in pretty hard that hair cutting = bad, I think we'd be hanging on to that impression for at least a while. Don't freak out or anything, but object to it.

Names never seemed terribly important though, so whatever, don't upset the frightening magic man any more than necessary. We can always change it back later if it sucks.

I DID ask. TWICE. But my questions were missed or ignored. :(

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Theglavwen posted:

Unless you honestly think that presenting theological confusion at best, or calling our kidnappers a bad name at worst, would lead to the King striking the head off of an 11 year old kid he just saved, and ending the game, that comes down to a value choice on a certain direction.

Yes. While Diog didn't say that it would lead to instant death, it would have lead to serious consequences. It was warned enough to have him quote the op:

Diogines posted:

A question, so I understand your response.

You understand that this is intentionally highly provocative and insulting, as the implication is that you are calling him evil or a monster, right? I only mention that because I suspect many people might not realize that and only voted it because it was funny? I am not sure. This is also a good time to quote something from the OP.

Diogines posted:

You do not have plot armor. Bad decisions can get you killed or wreak horrible consequences which you did not intend.

I just want to be certain you understand that this response is intentionally provoking/insulting the largest, most well muscled man you've ever seen (who ate lightning and lived, after it melted a hole in metal armor) and who may be a king. If you want to say something which is very probably inflammatory, by all means, choose the path you want to take, but I don't want anyone to be shocked by the outcome of their decision.

I am not sure why people are thinking maxhush's response was harmless enough to carry on with the game normally. It was one of the few options to have been described by the GM as on that potentially lead us to a confrontation we weren't prepared for, not even a week into the game. There were other ways to make the same statement without the intentional provoking, but that was not what was voted for.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I dunno, before Diog spoke up I was pretty certain the response would be a hearty laugh and a tussling of our hair. Maybe this guy is a little touchy about what eleven year olds say to him.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

OK. I strongly suspect El is going to be a dick. Much more than Asherah, the occasionally cruel but always straightforward force of nature. I also feel our #1 long term loyalty should be to the fish god and our tribe.

That being said. I don't think there's any way we're going to get out of this without a hair cut. The king will not accept out heathenisim. Jalitha won't let us avoid it either; if she was willing to chop our hair off when success may well have meant our death or exile, she's not doing to step back here. And nobody is going to be able to rescue us while the king is around. So: We thank the king and let him change our name/cut our hair. But we hold Asherah in our heart where the king cannot see him.

Also voting to insist Jalitha to stop calling us sweetling, x1000.

EDIT: For the record, I still think Jalitha is full of poo poo about the cannibal thing. :colbert:

EDIT EDIT: Actually, I think I changed A enough that it counts as a new one. So changing this to F.

FoxTerrier fucked around with this message at 03:01 on May 30, 2013

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
Voting B - these people seem better than the beatdown cannibals.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Voting C. Let him cut our hair, but noone's giving us a name until we want one. If he want's the right to give us a name he's got to earn it. Not just because he or someone else says we do.

Then we should shave our head at a later point. Reject all gods.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Yes. While Diog didn't say that it would lead to instant death, it would have lead to serious consequences. It was warned enough to have him quote the op:

I just want to be certain you understand that this response is intentionally provoking/insulting the largest, most well muscled man you've ever seen (who ate lightning and lived, after it melted a hole in metal armor) and who may be a king. If you want to say something which is very probably inflammatory, by all means, choose the path you want to take, but I don't want anyone to be shocked by the outcome of their decision.

I am not sure why people are thinking maxhush's response was harmless enough to carry on with the game normally. It was one of the few options to have been described by the GM as on that potentially lead us to a confrontation we weren't prepared for, not even a week into the game. There were other ways to make the same statement without the intentional provoking, but that was not what was voted for.

Nah, Diogenes is just very meticulous on making sure people know when they're voting for events that might have significant responses. Whether or not the response ends up being exceedingly minor, or game-ending, there's often a "Are you sure you want to say this possibly emotionally charged statement" warning when votes start going that way.

Not saying he necessarily wouldn't have turned into a raging, child beheading monstrosity at the merest hint that we think he might be a monster. Maybe he would have, or maybe it would have kept him from making us his son and law, and made us take another path. I think it would be folly, though, to start taking Diogenes' comments as suggestions on the right or wrong way to do things, he tries to avoid that, from what I've seen.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Voting against the whole sweetling thing, that can come when she tells us who our real dad is.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Hot Dog Day 80 posted:

Mother, how did you end up in the village?

Oh good question. How did you end up in the village? Is our father not from the village?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Theglavwen posted:

You've got a weird sense of 'indignation', I'm hardly indignant that some people are driven to disparage other posters based on how they want to play the game, I'm flabbergasted.

That being said, 'stupid' implies a goal, some metric by which its effectiveness can be praised or demeaned, so it only makes sense to call the option 'stupid' if you've decided that one direction or outcome is the 'smart' or correct one. Unless you honestly think that presenting theological confusion at best, or calling our kidnappers a bad name at worst, would lead to the King striking the head off of an 11 year old kid he just saved, and ending the game, that comes down to a value choice on a certain direction.

So maybe, again, chill out and accept that other people like to play the game differently than you do. Dickwad.

I think the goal and direction of most games is for the player character to at least survive, and hopefully thrive. Do you not think that having Og insult the man who just now killed our alleged father and is a King might just be a bad idea? You stupid rear end in a top hat.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

I don't think Tudiya felt that us as 11 years old would be threatening, but saying something like that and living with/near the king in his realm until we were at an age to take revenge would have been foolish on his part.

We chose to believe in El alongside Asherah anyway. I doubt we would have cut our hair while living with our dad to appease El, so I'm not inclined to worry about having our hair cut now to fit in the society we are going to live with now.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

JT Jag posted:

For the record, people who want to retain our spiritual identity, there's no way we get out of this without getting our hair cut. It's just not going to happen.

ChooseGet told your own adventure, eh?

D.

We know Asherah is real. We won't abandon our beliefs.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Who says we need to abandon Asherah if we thank the dude? Might as well be polite and try not to piss off the King.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

FoxTerrier posted:

OK. I strongly suspect El is going to be a dick. Much more than Asherah, the occasionally cruel but always straightforward force of nature. I also feel our #1 long term loyalty should be to the fish god and our tribe.

That being said. I don't think there's any way we're going to get out of this without a hair cut. The king will not accept out heathenisim. Jalitha won't let us avoid it either; if she was willing to chop our hair off when success may well have meant our death or exile, she's not doing to step back here. And nobody is going to be able to rescue us while the king is around. So: F. We thank the king and let him change our name/cut our hair. But we hold Asherah in our heart where the king cannot see him.

Also voting to insist Jalitha to stop calling us sweetling, x1000.

EDIT: For the record, I still think Jalitha is full of poo poo about the cannibal thing. :colbert:

EDIT EDIT: Actually, I think I changed A enough that it counts as a new one. So changing this to F.
I really like Foxterrier's take on B/A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Let's not give up our whole identity. Plus we've had this name for 11 years, giving it up would be weird.