Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Question for our brain;

Did any of our 'Dads' stories involve Asherah reaching out, either personally or by proxy, to smite 'Demons' or transgressors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

paragon1 posted:

I think the goal and direction of most games is for the player character to at least survive, and hopefully thrive. Do you not think that having Og insult the man who just now killed our alleged father and is a King might just be a bad idea? You stupid rear end in a top hat.

You take this far too seriously.

Also, changing vote to not B.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
When we get a chance we need to create a story and memorize it in the way we have learned, about these events.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
A. Og was a stupid name anyway.

Also, ask mum where she's from and how she wound up in the village.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Bularin posted:

You take this far too seriously.

Also, changing vote to not B.

Nah, I'm just playing how I want to play. And that involves calling things stupid when I think they're stupid.

Anyway, I'm very interested to see what we learn about this world next. So far we've only seen a very small part of the world.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

spacetimecontinuu
Dec 31, 2004
B

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

paragon1 posted:

I think the goal and direction of most games is for the player character to at least survive, and hopefully thrive. Do you not think that having Og insult the man who just now killed our alleged father and is a King might just be a bad idea? You stupid rear end in a top hat.

Bad idea as in 'would have gotten us killed', no, I don't think so. Bad idea as in 'won't let us thrive'? Well that depends on how you want to thrive: as a milksop who begs for approval and never questions anything while politely reciting psalms for his overlords? Or maybe as a stubborn douche who wants to go his own way and charge in the name of his barbarian god, consequences be damned? I dunno, up to personal preference I guess.

You poo face.

baby picture
Aug 7, 2004

I wish I could press a button and a rope would instantly tie around my ankle and I would be hung out of the highest window of the highest skyscraper in the world

Another B vote. Also, ask mom how she wound up in the village. "You weren't swallowed by a whale were you?"

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

SerSpook posted:

Yeah,

Changed from A.

edit: Also, will we be near the sea where we are going? Asking Jalitha.

"I'm not sure Sweetling, Zepath is far too the south, um, north from us though, I think."

Klingtron posted:

B

Also ask mom if Uncle Jorah was a canibal
She looks down at this question and is obviously upset, but she says nothing.

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

changed from A.

"Why did you cut my hair despite knowing that doing so would cause huge problems for us?"

e: If i can't loophole finding out why she cut our hair by formulating it through a question then ignore it.

This is not a loophole.

the_steve posted:

C - as politely as we can manage.

Ask Jalitha what will happen to the other villagers, namely our "mom" and uncle Jorah.

"I don't know sweetling, they will take care of themselves."

OhYo posted:

"Jali-... mother. Is Jorah, Pagem or another from Athar going to come get me?"

She shakes her head. "We are going to a new home now."

Rahul posted:

Um, I'm Og. I've always been Og. If I get a new name, can I still be Og as well?

You said El's god. What do you mean? Is he like Asherah?

Your mother shakes her head. "They... did not tell the truth Sweetling. Asherah is not a god... there is only one god. El."

Theglavwen posted:

Nah, Diogenes is just very meticulous on making sure people know when they're voting for events that might have significant responses. Whether or not the response ends up being exceedingly minor, or game-ending, there's often a "Are you sure you want to say this possibly emotionally charged statement" warning when votes start going that way.

Not saying he necessarily wouldn't have turned into a raging, child beheading monstrosity at the merest hint that we think he might be a monster. Maybe he would have, or maybe it would have kept him from making us his son and law, and made us take another path. I think it would be folly, though, to start taking Diogenes' comments as suggestions on the right or wrong way to do things, he tries to avoid that, from what I've seen.

You don't have a Sebek to warn you if you are going to say something potentially highly inflammatory at this point in time. If you wanted to say it, you could, by all means, I just wanted you to be sure you understood it was going to be inflammatory. It makes no difference to me if you do or not, I just don't want you to say something highly infalamtory without realizing it.

Globofglob
Jan 14, 2008
Changing my vote to Foxterrier's plan.

Random Idiot
Mar 15, 2001

Diogines posted:

"Asherah is not a god... there is only one god. El."

Somewhere off in another place and time, a manodile feels a chill breeze down his spine.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

You say what you gotta say to stay alive.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Random Idiot posted:

Somewhere off in another place and time, a manodile feels a chill breeze down his spine.

Suddenly a swarm of manodiles appears and devours King Handsome, before proceeding to scour the coastline of all life.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

+

I'd like to be thankful, but say that we want to keep our old name AS WELL AS our new name if that is okay.

I'm also not ready to give up on Asherah that easily, but this doesn't seem to be the time or place to bring it up. I'll keep quiet about it for now

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Theglavwen posted:

Bad idea as in 'would have gotten us killed', no, I don't think so. Bad idea as in 'won't let us thrive'? Well that depends on how you want to thrive: as a milksop who begs for approval and never questions anything while politely reciting psalms for his overlords? Or maybe as a stubborn douche who wants to go his own way and charge in the name of his barbarian god, consequences be damned? I dunno, up to personal preference I guess.

You poo face.

You know, that's actually a pretty unique take on the whole situation. I can certainly sympathize with wanting Og to maintain his cultural identity in spite of his problems. Still, it seemed like petulance for the sake of petulance to me.

You dickhead.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Canuck-Errant posted:

Incidentally, here's the vote icon album if anyone lost the link. It just makes it a little easier to pick out the votes.

Can we get the OP updated with this album if this is going to be the preferred way of voting? Right now, it has

Diogines posted:

Welcome to Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens, a Chose Your Own Adventure style game. The format of the game is simple. I will lay out the scenario and offer options to proceed with. You can always propose an alternate path to pick. The most popular choice will be picked. Type as much as you like, but please indicate your vote by bolding your choice like this.

The Bad Llama
Nov 22, 2004
The coke is just for color...
OPTION F Something Else.

This whole thing stinks of lies. Jalitha is not being completely honest with Og about alot of stuff and we seem to be having other people keep telling us what to do left and right.

Father was not our father.

Mother was not our mother.

People keep being obsessed with our hair for some reason.

This random person murdered our Father figure and our caretaker ran out screaming that our people were cannibals.

If anyone is going to cut Og's hair, it should be Og.

If anyone is going to give Og a new name, it should be Og.

We've already established we're a rebellious youth. Maybe we should start making the decisions for ourselves on what to learn and who to believe rather than being spoonfed whatever is most convenient for the people around us?

Ask Jalitha

"Why did you bring the basket of Pearls with you? I gave you lots of those! Did you bring them with us?"

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Option B, after you thank him for the honour tell him that you want your new name to be Og.

Mother, why was cutting my hair such a big deal back in the village? Why did you cut my hair then? Who did the villagers cannibalize?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Always e polite.

Random Idiot posted:

Seriously, the reason most people gave for starting in the backwoods tribal village was for something different and now everyone seems super-eager to ditch all of the interesting bits and become generic village kid #205, blindly obeying the giant who busted into a peaceful fishing village and killed the spiritual leader.

Being an outsider and maybe foster son of a king is much more interesting than being a regular prince. We will grow up with a unique perspective. Most kids think the town they grow up in is representative of the whole world, we'll know differently.

If it sucks we can always run away to the sea in a few years when we are older.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

If Tudiya refuses to let us keep our name straight up, ask if he'll work it into our new name like Ogarth or something appropriate to the culture. If not I guess we can always be Og in our head.

Also I'm for asking all the hard hitting questions of Jalitha, I want to know why she painted a target on us.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 08:50 on May 30, 2013

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.
I'm gonna have to go with B on this one.

*takes a chomp*
Sep 4, 2006
VOTE E

I don't think we should throw away our past. In the end, we all know deep in our hearts, we are not one of them. We are too culturally and spiritually raised different from these outsides. Even with the kings blessing and a promise of a new home and life, we can not forget calling of the sea.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Sucrose posted:

Let's not give up our whole identity. Plus we've had this name for 11 years, giving it up would be weird.

It's not unheard of for people to get new names as their status changes, especially in the Bible: Abram and Sarai became Abraham and Sarah, Jacob became Israel, Simon became Peter. Also, it's entirely possible that Og was our childhood name and our dad planned on changing it when we came of age.

Daned
Jan 14, 2008

Tudhalias
Sep 7, 2009

There is a time to stubbornly assert our cultural identity, and that time is not now. We will always be Og in our hearts (and in our hidden godly shark tooth).

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

Rahul posted:

+

I'd like to be thankful, but say that we want to keep our old name AS WELL AS our new name if that is okay.

I'm also not ready to give up on Asherah that easily, but this doesn't seem to be the time or place to bring it up. I'll keep quiet about it for now

This, Og can be our nickname or something.

Rhymenoceros
Nov 16, 2008
Monks, a statement endowed with five factors is well-spoken, not ill-spoken. It is blameless & unfaulted by knowledgeable people. Which five?

It is spoken at the right time. It is spoken in truth. It is spoken affectionately. It is spoken beneficially. It is spoken with a mind of good-will.

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
Og the Shorn, Breaker of his Father's Faith. A savage on display.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

A

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

Og was a dumb name anyway. And judging from the 'manhood' ritual and the glowing red eyes and blood sacrifice our village was probably a demon cult anyway. Glory to El!

GloriousDemon
May 1, 2009
oxTerrier's plan is a good pro fish god plan. I'd also like to add an amendment that we save the hair, if we can, that's prime dark magic vodoo juju we'd be throwing out! Tell the king we want it for a toy something, wrap it with a bow or stick it on a doll, we're a weird kid he'll buy that.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

FoxTerrier posted:

OK. I strongly suspect El is going to be a dick. Much more than Asherah, the occasionally cruel but always straightforward force of nature. I also feel our #1 long term loyalty should be to the fish god and our tribe.

That being said. I don't think there's any way we're going to get out of this without a hair cut. The king will not accept out heathenisim. Jalitha won't let us avoid it either; if she was willing to chop our hair off when success may well have meant our death or exile, she's not doing to step back here. And nobody is going to be able to rescue us while the king is around. So: We thank the king and let him change our name/cut our hair. But we hold Asherah in our heart where the king cannot see him.

Also voting to insist Jalitha to stop calling us sweetling, x1000.

EDIT: For the record, I still think Jalitha is full of poo poo about the cannibal thing. :colbert:

EDIT EDIT: Actually, I think I changed A enough that it counts as a new one. So changing this to F.

Aye, lets go for:

We thank the king and let him change our name/cut our hair. But we hold Asherah in our heart where the king cannot see him.

Also voting to insist Jalitha to stop calling us sweetling, x1000.

Also going to second Glorious Demon's Save the Hair

Callipygian Weasel
Apr 2, 2010

by Lowtax

GloriousDemon posted:

oxTerrier's plan is a good pro fish god plan. I'd also like to add an amendment that we save the hair, if we can, that's prime dark magic vodoo juju we'd be throwing out! Tell the king we want it for a toy something, wrap it with a bow or stick it on a doll, we're a weird kid he'll buy that.

All of this.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Dang I didn't even notice plan oxTerrier, while it ditches our hair in the long run I can see myself doing something with this so yes vote changed.

Also agree with x1000 stop calling us sweetling as well as saving our hair lump.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 09:02 on May 30, 2013

Skanky Burns
Jan 9, 2009

Hopefully our new name will be better than Og. Trog?

Grabpot Thundergust
Jul 6, 2010

It seems like the option that is going to cause us the least fallout further down the line.

Kyyp
Jan 14, 2007

Can we change our name from Og to Otac? That sounds like a pretty cool name for some reason and feels like it relates to all that time we spent in the water with fish, but I'm not sure why.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Ogtac

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Idiot
Mar 15, 2001
You guys voting for a haircut are gonna be so bummed when he names us Samson.