Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008
Deafheaven is ranking right up there with Liturgy et al in being a lovely, pointless band. If the singer stopped doing his dumb shrieks, these guys would be considered a pretty good Opeth cover band. I dunno, maybe not Opeth. Definitely some terrible band, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

RHTITE posted:

Deafheaven is ranking right up there with Liturgy et al in being a lovely, pointless band. If the singer stopped doing his dumb shrieks, these guys would be considered a pretty good Opeth cover band. I dunno, maybe not Opeth. Definitely some terrible band, anyway.

I just can't get past their band picture on Metal-Archives:
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Deafheaven/3540315870

These are the guys that I see at an Agalloch gig talking about "post-black-metal-transcendental-whateverthefuck" and what it all "means" to them. No matter how good the music may be, I would never be able to get the look of those two pretentious dweebs out of my head...
:corsair:

Also, listen to Cult of Fire:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szcq6kyCOng

thehouseplant fucked around with this message at 09:29 on May 26, 2013

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

gently caress Deafheaven, there's new Panopticon.
http://thetruepanopticon.bandcamp.com/releases

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Dimebags Brain posted:

gently caress Deafheaven, there's new Panopticon.
http://thetruepanopticon.bandcamp.com/releases

I just realized there is a loving Suicide Nation cover on this, haha.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Who cares what Deafheaven looks like? What they look like have nothing to do with their music. If you don't like their music, that's cool, but if you're letting their appearance color your opinion you should probably reassess your values of judging art.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

WASDF posted:

Who cares what Deafheaven looks like? What they look like have nothing to do with their music. If you don't like their music, that's cool, but if you're letting their appearance color your opinion you should probably reassess your values of judging art.

No you see, the pink album cover is an insult to trve black metal! :goonsay:

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

It's super goofy, man.

I don't think a lot of people realize that the front-man of Deafheaven is being just as theatrical as most black metal musicians are on stage. He's just conveying his own intensity and in his own way sans-corpse make up, spikes and what not.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Houseplant posted:

I just can't get past their band picture on Metal-Archives:
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Deafheaven/3540315870

These are the guys that I see at an Agalloch gig talking about "post-black-metal-transcendental-whateverthefuck" and what it all "means" to them. No matter how good the music may be, I would never be able to get the look of those two pretentious dweebs out of my head...
:corsair:

Nonono, liturgy are the pretentious "transcendental" dweebs. Deafheaven seem like pretty cool guys.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I went to the Boris/Deafheaven/Iides of Gemini show on Friday in LA and I was accosted by the worst show-goer I have ever experienced.

My friend and I were near the front, probably two/three people away from the railing. Early into Boris' set, this 6'3" guy in a denim jacket and greased back hair barges his way up to where I was and stood directly in front of a bunch of people. He kept on tapping on my shoulder until I allowed him to move up, he did this for like 30 seconds while trying to sneak his shoulder between people. Already, that's kind of lovely but it happens. When he finally settled on a spot, he pulled out his phone and stood on his tip-toes to take a million samey photos of Boris. He did this the entire set and was actively pissing people off while doing it. When he wasn't taking pictures, he was uploading his photos to facebook/checking his own posts and at one point he stared at a picture of a large half combo half sausage pizza for several minutes.

He continued to be an obnoxious rear end hole during the quiet times, but whenever something loud occurred he would stick up the devil horns and inaccurately "orchestrate" the music like he was some sort of cultist leader. However, when it became quiet he went back to taking pictures and actively ignoring the music. I tapped him on the shoulder one time and asked him to do his poo poo from the back, he said "Okay" and quit for a while. He continued this all night. At one point Atsuo crowd surfed (which was rad) and he turned to me and gave me a thumbs up like "Yeah! We like the same music!!!" - I don't know what reaction he expected. At the end of the show, he ended up with some girl who looked like was his girlfriend. When the lights came up I noticed he had a back patch that was a Pantera logo on fire in front of a pot leaf with skulls between the pedals of the leaf.

Aside from that rear end hole, Boris was loving great and they gave it their all. Atsuo is a total rock star.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007
Anyone heard anything about the new Arckanum album? His last couple have fallen a bit to the wayward compared to ÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞ so I'm hoping Fenris Kindir is solid.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Houseplant posted:

Anyone heard anything about the new Arckanum album? His last couple have fallen a bit to the wayward compared to ÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞ so I'm hoping Fenris Kindir is solid.

I was relatively unimpressed myself. I mean, it's OK, but it's nothing special. I think people who are bigger Arckanum fans than myself have enjoyed it more though.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

WASDF posted:

It's super goofy, man.

I don't think a lot of people realize that the front-man of Deafheaven is being just as theatrical as most black metal musicians are on stage. He's just conveying his own intensity and in his own way sans-corpse make up, spikes and what not.

I was having a chat on Twitter about Deafheaven, and mentioned how short-changed I'd felt when I'd paid £11 (or so) to see them, and they only played a 30-minute set. The lead singer jumped in and apologised and I felt bad for moaning, even though it was justified. My Deafheaven story y'all.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

I was having a chat on Twitter about Deafheaven, and mentioned how short-changed I'd felt when I'd paid £11 (or so) to see them, and they only played a 30-minute set. The lead singer jumped in and apologised and I felt bad for moaning, even though it was justified. My Deafheaven story y'all.

Sets tend to get cut short for various reasons, so while it sucks, it usually isn't the bands fault but good on him for apologizing and communicating.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Oh, that does suck. It probably was out of their control like Killsion said. I don't think any band, especially a band as small as Deafheaven, would be okay charging that much for a 30 minute set.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

WASDF posted:

In this case how they look has everything to do with their music: boring and pointless. This whole shoegaze poo poo being injected into black metal is like listening to Morrisey cover Nile.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Morbid Florist posted:

In this case how they look has everything to do with their music: boring and pointless. This whole shoegaze poo poo being injected into black metal is like listening to Morrisey cover Nile.

That's an interesting statement, but it makes no sense. Its your opinion that their look/music is boring but its certainky not pointless.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Morbid Florist posted:

This whole shoegaze poo poo being injected into black metal is like listening to Morrisey cover Nile.

If you don't want outside influences in your genre (that's what I'm getting from your post, anyways), it's going to become a creative circlejerk.

I'm not generally big on genre mashups, but I think that both shoegaze and black metal are in the same place musically in a lot of ways, with purposefully indistinct vocals, "wall of sound" washes that are based on feedback, amplification and reverb, heavy use of electric guitar distortion, etc. Props to people like Neige who can blend the two styles.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
I don't know if anyone is actively tracking the vinyl release of Cold of Ages, but does anyone know what's up with the special edition? I noticed that Pesanta Urfolk is selling and shipping the normal edition but they don't have the limited edition up. Has it sold out? Really important stuff, I know.

On topic: I quite liked Roads to Judah and I've enjoyed the new album so far. However, I'd never (or at least have given up on trying to) defend them as a serious black metal band; not because George wears hipster clothes and cuts his hair funny, but because they utilize elements in their music that are decidedly "un-black metal" and are never going to appeal to a more "orthodox" crowd. I think it's maybe better to treat them as influenced by a certain strand of black metal and enjoy them or not on those grounds. That said, they do seem to catch more flak from the kvlt because of their aesthetic than bands like Lantlôs or Alcest (who have become way more boring and pointless in my opinion).

Now, in an attempt to restore internet scene credibility, has anyone checked out the new Wulkanaz yet? Is it worth picking up?

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

deadking posted:

Now, in an attempt to restore internet scene credibility, has anyone checked out the new Wulkanaz yet? Is it worth picking up?

It's nice and dark germanic heathenism is infinitely cooler than banjos or environmentalism or whatever the gently caress all these assholes are inserting into black metal nowadays.

Has anyone heard the Ormgård debut full-length? Is it good like Ormblot or ambient trash like the first demo

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

deadking posted:

I don't know if anyone is actively tracking the vinyl release of Cold of Ages, but does anyone know what's up with the special edition? I noticed that Pesanta Urfolk is selling and shipping the normal edition but they don't have the limited edition up. Has it sold out? Really important stuff, I know.

Hey dude: I had exactly the same panic. So far as I can tell, limited is coming later. Pesanta never said the special edition went up in their updates section (top left hand option in the store). Should be available in a couple of weeks I think,

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

Gamma Nerd posted:

If you don't want outside influences in your genre (that's what I'm getting from your post, anyways), it's going to become a creative circlejerk.

It's not a matter of trying to keep out other influences (which has never happened, even in the truest, cultest, blackest, murderingest scene of Black Metal), it's an attempt to keep stupid bullshit out of this great music. Shoegaze is stupid bullshit. It also has nothing to do Black Metal, unless you include straight aesthetics of delivery in what music is.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

RHTITE posted:

It's not a matter of trying to keep out other influences (which has never happened, even in the truest, cultest, blackest, murderingest scene of Black Metal), it's an attempt to keep stupid bullshit out of this great music. Shoegaze is stupid bullshit. It also has nothing to do Black Metal, unless you include straight aesthetics of delivery in what music is.

You just completely contradicted yourself. You say outside influences are perfectly fine... except ones you dislike.

You consider shoegaze to be stupid bullshit. I and many others strongly disagree. Shoegaze does have musical similarities to black metal, though utterly unintentional, and they do compliment each other quite well for the seasoned listener.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

RHTITE posted:

Holy poo poo the ignorance in this post is shocking to see on SA. It reads terrifingly similar to a youtube comment...

How is reverb with guitars 'stupid bullshit' anyway? Its just a noise.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

I agree with him 100%. Shoegaze in black metal to me is the worst thing to ever happen to the genre. Black metal is supposed to be hateful, fast. Shoegaze is...not.

You're also trying to preach open-mindedness to a style of music that embodies closed-mindedness. It's probably the most rigidly defined metal genre there is, and for good reason.

gently caress shoegaze and black metal :colbert:

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Morbid Florist posted:

I agree with him 100%. Shoegaze in black metal to me is the worst thing to ever happen to the genre. Black metal is supposed to be hateful, fast. Shoegaze is...not.

You're also trying to preach open-mindedness to a style of music that embodies closed-mindedness. It's probably the most rigidly defined metal genre there is, and for good reason.

gently caress shoegaze and black metal :colbert:

So black metal can only be paired up with... what? What genres have your personal permission to touch the sacred cow of black metal? Nothing? This is creative death.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Black metal doesn't have to be fast, black metal can be influenced by gothic rock, black metal doesn't need blast beats. The best black metal is that which wasn't of a second generation, influenced by the tremolo riffs and blast beats of Darkthrone, Mayhem, and Immortal. Those are great, they can be used well, but much black metal relies too heavily on fast-paced rhythmic monotony and is confined by a narrow range of influences who carved a subset of black metal which grew to be a large part of the style in terms of quantity, but still a narrow range in terms of style.

What I'm saying is, Forgotten Woods are the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l54LHVcUMdI

The more recent trends of shoegaze/blackgaze and depressive black metal are terrible because all of the music is terrible. I have heard countless bands and they're all terrible. This isn't philosophical, it's practical, every blackgaze/DSBM band is a complete waste of time. Every Alcest fairyland wannabe that makes mediocre, monotonous lo-fi rock with screams, every band that worships the awful crap like Xasthur that gained prominence in the 2000s, every band on Depressive Illusions Records and Self Mutilation Services - they are all a complete waste of time and I have wasted an unbelievable amount of time hearing bands that happened to be of that type.

One of the more recent bands that has captured my imagination is Verge. Some of their stuff is a more rough and dissonant take on second wave black metal without the polish of the third wave, but their split with Blood Red Fog entitled "Because It's Wrong" is fascinating. The church-organ-type keyboards often lead the music along with a shrieking vocalist, while the guitars come in more in the second half of their songs. It's sort of difficult to represent the release with one track, the best one to introduce you to it is the opener, "Spiritual Promiscuity", but that's not on YouTube, so I'll settle for this one. No, it's not fast, it has keyboards but they aren't lame/cheesy - it's an interesting take that I don't hear often. There's a feeling of 70s psychedelic hard rock being possessed and morphing into harsh black metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFwKPJUgWq4

If you have an hour of seclusion to dedicate to it, Verdunkeln crafted a different style of black metal that relies heavily on atmosphere, chanted clean vocals, and droning guitars blended with clean guitars. It's a pleasure to listen to, a complete composition that is incredibly immersive. A change from most conventions of black metal, but it's great music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wwywa44VF8

Once again on the topic of black metal - does anyone have recommendations of bands similar to Verge outside of their small Finnish scene? (Blood Red Fog, Cosmic Church, Saturnian Mist, Arvet, Charnel Winds, Pantheon of Blood) It is interesting how this scene has formed, mostly independent of the more prominent Finnish black metal scene that seems to consist of 40 bands all featuring Shatraug or Satanic Tryhard Werewolf at some point. I really like the stuff coming out of this secondary Finnish scene.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

edit: gently caress it, he put way more effort into that than i was going to, and Alcest embodies everything that is wrong with this trainwreck of genres.

I'm out

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 29, 2013

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I don't like this thing therefore it's objectively bad and shouldn't exist.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I think this argument is similar to when people say Punk can only be fast and basically the ramones. Punk is more of an attitude and can be applied to anything (imo Godspeed is pretty Punk). I've always attributed BM to more of a feeling or an energy rather than a specific sound.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
That Deafheaven album is really pretty boring.

I also think that black metal is supposed to be fast, hateful, and offensive. That's the draw. Injecting shoegaze and ambient and non-aggressive influences is definitely a thing, and arguably has been going on since day one. Not a thing I like in black metal, but poo poo, those early burzum albums are half ambient tracks anyway, and I'm fine with skipping those tracks.

I'll listen to ambient and shoegaze and drone and whatever the gently caress else there is when I'm in the mood for it, but the best black metal bands are the ones who reflect those early sentimentalities of aggression and hate. These cross-genre things are going to happen, and I'll be content moving right past them to the style that I appreciate the most.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Zodijackylite posted:

The more recent trends of shoegaze/blackgaze and depressive black metal are terrible because all of the music is terrible. I have heard countless bands and they're all terrible. This isn't philosophical, it's practical, every blackgaze/DSBM band is a complete waste of time.

I'm fine with you wanting to stick with the older, ferocious style, I understand the appeal, but please don't attempt to claim objectivity and say that all black metal/shoegaze is poo poo. Being the arbiter of taste like this is really arrogant. (That verdunkeln album looks real cool by the way, I'll check it out) Again I think you're being selective with what influences you want and don't want, but that's ok! As you said with Einblick..., there's some stuff that is unconventional but still good. Can you maybe conscience that in my opinion, blackgaze is one of those things? I still like stuff like Mgla, Blut aus Nord, Nehemah, etc, but atmospheric black and blackgaze scratch a different itch.

Morbid Florist posted:

Yeah. I think blackgaze is good music but maybe it ought to be dissociated entirely from BM for the sake of both genres.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Gamma Nerd posted:

I'm fine with you wanting to stick with the older, ferocious style, I understand the appeal, but please don't attempt to claim objectivity and say that all black metal/shoegaze is poo poo. Being the arbiter of taste like this is really arrogant. (That verdunkeln album looks real cool by the way, I'll check it out) Again I think you're being selective with what influences you want and don't want, but that's ok! As you said with Einblick..., there's some stuff that is unconventional but still good. Can you maybe conscience that in my opinion, blackgaze is one of those things? I still like stuff like Mgla, Blut aus Nord, Nehemah, etc, but atmospheric black and blackgaze scratch a different itch.

Agreed on all counts. I too love Mgla, Blut Aus Nord and the like but I'll still regularly listen to so-called blackgaze records. Also apparently Neige is the one doing the spoken-word part on Please Remember from Sunbather so that is probably just another x mark for purists.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2pz7v4V-Qk

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Can we all just agree that Alcest is really boring?

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Stravinsky posted:

Nope. Souvenirs is a fantastic record, and while the other two records aren't as good, they are still entirely solid efforts. I try to play Souvenirs a lot around Spring as it really fits the weather well, but it has been pretty miserable lately for weather.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Stravinsky posted:

Le Voyages De L'Ame wasn't that great, but I love the interplay between Neige's vocals and the guitar-work on Souvenirs and especially Ecailles de Lune. He's not close to my favorite artist, but his stuff is worth respect.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007
Black Metal Thread #667: Someone spilled post-rock all over my blast beats

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Sometimes I wander in here looking for rec's, but a majority of the time I walk out of here with nothing new/some really awful aural experiences.

That Cult of Fire track was pretty good though.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

Apeshit Sixfingers posted:

That Cult of Fire track was pretty good though.

I was seriously impressed with their CD. I hope they get some more recognition because they put on a hell of a live show as well. Got a little bit of Ghost/Portal in the stage design:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1-q_CTpyMQ

Edit; Also, the new Summoning leaked in decent quality. Giving it a play-through now. Anyone else try it out yet?

thehouseplant fucked around with this message at 08:03 on May 30, 2013

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I dig the new Deafheaven, but I wouldn't really call it black metal at all. Blast beats and tremelo-picked guitars don't always equal black metal. If anything, I'd call it sort of a post-screamo (i.e. early 90s screamo: Pg.99, City of Caterpillar, Funeral Diner, etc.). It has more in common with that stuff than it does with black metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

QPZIL posted:

I dig the new Deafheaven, but I wouldn't really call it black metal at all. Blast beats and tremelo-picked guitars don't always equal black metal. If anything, I'd call it sort of a post-screamo (i.e. early 90s screamo: Pg.99, City of Caterpillar, Funeral Diner, etc.). It has more in common with that stuff than it does with black metal.

Agree with this. It's like screamo but with BM vocals and blast beats.

Also Alcest totally lost their magic for me. I ended up growing tired of them very quickly. I don't think all "blackgaze" is bollocks though, there's a lot of great atmospheric/ambient black metal out there at the moment. If you don't like it, I just wouldn't bother listening to it, there's plenty of other good stuff out there. As a general rule, technical death metal doesn't appeal to me at all, but I can't resent the genre for taking that direction, obviously a lot of people dig it.