Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dead Man Posting posted:

When was their last good one?
Endgame was actually a pleasant surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Dead Man Posting posted:

I really mean it, Super Collider is loving terrible and I will likely never listen to it again. Endgame at least wasn't terrible and I give it a listen every now and then. It wasn't good compared to Peace Sells or anything of course, but it wasn't an awful mess of poo poo songs throughout.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Zodijackylite posted:

I'd rather every band stick to what Manilla Road does, but I'll be satisfied as long as they keep doing it. They put on, by far, the best show at MDF and got an unbelievable response from the crowd. They were so drat good! The best songs, the best band, the best performance - it was great to see so much enthusiasm for them, especially at a festival that specializes in more extreme stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mS0Os1OXFA

Manilla Road is the best band on the planet, if we held up everyone to their standard nothing would be good.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Dead Man Posting posted:

The System Has Failed was pretty good! Just don't listen to the lyrics. Or do and laugh, whatever.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

Morbid Florist posted:

Come on, Youthanasia was half decent. It's definitely the bitter end of them doing good poo poo, but even Countdown was good.

i like Cryptic writings :ohdear:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

nuncle jimbo posted:

i like Cryptic writings :ohdear:
I still have a soft spot for the ECW theme song.

Father_Johann
Aug 28, 2008
Can I post about grindcore here? If so, do any of you guys know of a band called Wall Red Murder and where the hell I can order an album or something? I stumbled upon their myspace page the other day and I liked what I heard a lot. I can't find any trace of them any where else. I know it's a poo poo in the dark, but hopefully one of you guys has superior internet sleuthing skills.

http://www.myspace.com/wallredmurder

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

Defiant Sally posted:

Ya boy right here, Dan Swano, has a new thing coming out in August. He doesn't really do metal anymore but since there's probably some Swano/Edge of Sanity fans hanging around in here. Its like... Crimson, Moon Tower, and Nightingale merged sounds. He actually growls again towards the end of the song! Have a taste:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwsLxPBknOk

I love you for posting this. Thanks.

Ninja edit: Amon Amarth rules and they could regurgitate the same formula for the next decade and it would still be rad as hell.

Gorreus
May 27, 2013

look into my eyes and say that
What do you guys think about the new Ghost album? I can't stop listening to it, personally. Especially Monstrance Clock and Zombie Queen.

edit: on second thought this may be more suited for the doom/stoner/sludge thread?

Gorreus fucked around with this message at 12:42 on May 30, 2013

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Here we go!

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Metal thread 667: rip any good metal chat, everyone post about Ghost instead.

I'm looking for stuff with really blistering vocals. Sort of throat-ripping screams like Black Breath had on Spit on the Cross, or like early The Crown. D-beat influence optional.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Kaiho posted:

I'm looking for stuff with really blistering vocals. Sort of throat-ripping screams like Black Breath had on Spit on the Cross, or like early The Crown. D-beat influence optional.

The vocal stuff makes me want to recommend Anaal Nathrakh or !T.O.O.H.!, but then you threw in the d-beat curveball!

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Sanjuroku posted:

What do you guys think about the new Ghost album?

The singer sounds too much like this other Swedish band called, Subvision.

More importantly, the new Autopsy album, The Headless Ritual, comes out June 24 in Europe and July 2 in the U.S. on Peaceville Records. It's going to kick much arse! Here's proof. Arch Cadaver

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Kaiho posted:

Check out Inquisitor.
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=mKjHPD2lqsU&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DmKjHPD2lqsU

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Despite myself, I'm really enjoying the new Dark Tranquillity album. It's probably the one that's caught my attention most since Projector. There are also little call-backs to The Mind's I here and there as well, particuarly in terms of guitar tone. There's part of this song, Endtime Hearts, that could easily turn into Zodijackyl Light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bx-okDZYw4

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Kaiho posted:

Nails

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Pesmerga posted:

Despite myself, I'm really enjoying the new Dark Tranquillity album. It's probably the one that's caught my attention most since Projector. There are also little call-backs to The Mind's I here and there as well, particuarly in terms of guitar tone. There's part of this song, Endtime Hearts, that could easily turn into Zodijackyl Light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bx-okDZYw4

gently caress yeah!

Well, I'm sort of disappointed by how much the keyboards take the melodic lead while the guitars are simply a rhythmic instrument. Their compositions are still great, the vocals are good, but it seems like there is too much of a divide between keyboards and guitars - I really wish the keys would lay back at least half the time and fill the atmosphere while the guitars played pretty much the same thing in DT riffing style.

MoreMetalBrian
Oct 20, 2009

Well, I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!

Kaiho posted:

Also throwing out Disfear, if you like Tomas Lindberg's vocals. Live the Storm and Misanthropic Generation are some good releases.
Lock-Up as well, but I suppose that's less d-beat and a lot more grind.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
Chapel are pretty rad D-beat/black n' roll.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh9YwNNturM

Also Trap Them.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Baptists - Bushcraft is pretty similar as well.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

ethan posted:

Also Trap Them.

Seconding Trap Them and Nails. Phenomenal bands with killer vocals!

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

I'm obviously a big Anaal Nathrakh fan, and Tomppa Lindgren's bands are all in my catalogue (god I love that scream) - thanks for those names :D.

I am thankful for the Nails recommendation (digging the HC/grind vibe they have) as well as Baptists. New band for me, and in the dissonant guitars I get a bit of a Dillinger Escape Plan feel. Stuff to definitely go and explore and get angry over the lack of summer.

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt

Kaiho posted:

I'm obviously a big Anaal Nathrakh fan, and Tomppa Lindgren's bands are all in my catalogue (god I love that scream) - thanks for those names :D.

I am thankful for the Nails recommendation (digging the HC/grind vibe they have) as well as Baptists. New band for me, and in the dissonant guitars I get a bit of a Dillinger Escape Plan feel. Stuff to definitely go and explore and get angry over the lack of summer.

If you aren't already familiar with them, All Pigs Must Die would probably be something you'd like as well.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Lookit you guys reccing hardcore bands in the metal thread.:v:

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

The singer sounds too much like this other Swedish band called, Subvision.

Thats because its the same guy, and its hilarious cause some of hte subvision songs sound so much like ghost, and any metalhead who likes ghost would probably not like subvision cause it doesnt have the gimmick.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
So this is a thing I recently found out existed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wciWnILvsQ4

3/4ths of Amebix.

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt

comes along bort posted:

Lookit you guys reccing hardcore bands in the metal thread.:v:

:mad:

Fine, I've been listening to the new Imprecation, which I think is cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZbX4pq8vLg

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

It was a joke, dude. I like those bands; I was noting the humor of hardcore bands fitting a certain niche better than metal at the moment.

Father_Johann
Aug 28, 2008

ELI PORTER posted:

If you aren't already familiar with them, All Pigs Must Die would probably be something you'd like as well.

They're coming out with a new LP soonish, I think. It's going to be sick.

Dead in the Dirt and Absvrdist also tickle the grind/hardcore fancy bone that All Pigs Must Die and Nails do. Absvudist has Lyle Cooper (ex-the Faceless) in it, too, so their rhythm section is legit as gently caress.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Ghost and Skeletonwitch are apparently going on a short tour together. Weird combo, but I'll go.

In other news, anyone hear the new Suidakra yet? Not sure yet if it's as good as Book of Dowth, but my first impression after one spin was pretty positive.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

To no one's great surprise, Paul Bostaph now drums again for Slayer.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007
New ChthoniC is out and I'm really liking it. I like the fact that their vocal style is becoming less Cradle of Filthy. This, with the new Tengger Cavalry, cures that folk itch.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

Minto Took posted:

To no one's great surprise, Paul Bostaph now drums again for Slayer.

Am I alone in thinking Bostaph was the superior drummer compared to Dave Lombardo? I know Lombardo gets all the (deserved) credit, but Bostaph's drumming was the bright spot of their lackluster '90s output, plus he was a badass on Testament's Formation of Damnation album.

Not that I approve of Slayer being active in any capacity now that Jeff's gone, just saying.

kaosAG
Oct 14, 2005

Houseplant posted:

This, with the new Tengger Cavalry, cures that folk itch.

This is cool as hell, I love a little folk metal now and then for a change of pace.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Houseplant posted:

New ChthoniC is out and I'm really liking it. I like the fact that their vocal style is becoming less Cradle of Filthy. This, with the new Tengger Cavalry, cures that folk itch.

Tengger Cavalry is really nice, thanks for introducing them. I love the throat singing especially. It's a shame that the only other throat singing I know of occurs in Dimmu Borgir's Abrahadabra album. One would think that it would be more common since some metal is about doing unusual or weird vocals with your throat.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Kaiho posted:

Did someone say The Crown?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PWnmp93yOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Bruce Boxliker posted:

Am I alone in thinking Bostaph was the superior drummer compared to Dave Lombardo? I know Lombardo gets all the (deserved) credit, but Bostaph's drumming was the bright spot of their lackluster '90s output, plus he was a badass on Testament's Formation of Damnation album.

Not that I approve of Slayer being active in any capacity now that Jeff's gone, just saying.

He's as good as anyone, but Lombardo has a unique feel- his fills and the way he'll throw in a snare or tom hit a couple beats ahead of a riff change, nobody else does that. It's funny if you watch him playing with other bands it fucks their timing up when he does it. But given that Hanneman's dead there's no reason to give a poo poo about Slayer any more; not that there has been since the mid-90s.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I found out just now that Kalmah has released another song of theirs, Deadfall.

https://soundcloud.com/earsplit/kalmah-deadfall

I really like this one.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Houseplant posted:

That Chthonic is pretty good.

I really think Tengger Cavalry should get more attention. Not only does that style singing lend itself really well to metal, but even traditional Mongol songs have some metal as hell rhythms.

\/\/\/ wow yeah that Kalmah is loving rad. It's like if CoB was still good, they could possibly sound something like this. Deadfall is the new Downfall.

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 07:20 on May 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

hemophilia posted:

I found out just now that Kalmah has released another song of theirs, Deadfall.

https://soundcloud.com/earsplit/kalmah-deadfall

I really like this one.

gently caress yes I am diggin this.