Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

1 = Hugs. No ear biting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!

FoxTerrier posted:

2. Look her in the eyes and ask if she saw this with her own eyes. I'd like to know how she came by the knowledge.

I don't think she's necessarily outright lying, but I think she may have misinterpreted some things. FWIW I don't particularly care if we are cannibals. Eating powerful warriors etc to consume their strength really isn't that unusual, even if the weirdly high level of cannibalisim Jalitha is describing is (which is part of why I'm still slightly skeptical. I think there may be a wee bit of exaggeration going on here. poo poo, we'd have like a population of zero eating people left and right like that.)

That and because cannibalisim is just such a classic justification for demonizing tribal peoples, I can't help but raise an eyebrow and want as much confirmation as possible before taking this as cannon.

These are my thoughts as well. And my vote.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Thank you for the count. I am going to start on the update, but feel free to vote or change as you are so inclined. If the result changes, I will change the update. It may be a bit till it goes up.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

I think it's fairly clear that she's more or less telling the truth. Do we need to really push her any further?

Diogines posted:

You have no frame of reference to know how old people are supposed to get, nor could you count to sixty, but you have never seen a person older than their late 50s in the village. You have never seen the burials occur, when the men carry the dead out of the village for burial. Those who are sick tend to either heal quickly, or, perish quickly, a prolonged time for recovery is unheard of. No one in the village is missing fingers or limbs or ears or has any other sort of disfiguring injuries.

But you are eleven and have lived here all your life.

That is how it is everywhere.

Right?

There's a Mysterious ritual twice a year that everyone gets very nervous about and people sometimes don't return from.
We have a lack of old, and infirm people. We worship a predatory fish God who has an endless hunger and a disregard for the welfare of our people.
It's pretty clear that something messed up is going on.

UppaTree
May 4, 2013

FoxTerrier posted:

2. Look her in the eyes and ask if she saw this with her own eyes. I'd like to know how she came by the knowledge.

I don't think she's necessarily outright lying, but I think she may have misinterpreted some things. FWIW I don't particularly care if we are cannibals. Eating powerful warriors etc to consume their strength really isn't that unusual, even if the weirdly high level of cannibalisim Jalitha is describing is (which is part of why I'm still slightly skeptical. I think there may be a wee bit of exaggeration going on here. poo poo, we'd have like a population of zero eating people left and right like that.)

That and because cannibalisim is just such a classic justification for demonizing tribal peoples, I can't help but raise an eyebrow and want as much confirmation as possible before taking this as cannon.

I really don't think we should traumatize her any more than she has been. She's crying and stammering and probably having flashbacks, and you want to look her in the eyes and say "are you suuure you saw a grisly feast of human flesh?"

Also, this isn't "eating strong people to get stronger", it's "eating weak people to get rid of them." Jalitha says they ate the old, the sick and the unlucky.

We know, from the last update, that our village doedn't have old people. Now, that could be because we have lovely medicine and they couldn't reach 60 if they tried, but we also don't have anyone with missing digits, or blemishes, or deformities of any kind*

Our god is represented by a pair of great blood-dripping jaws. We know that Asherah created his children, and then they had children, and then Asherah ate them all, but he was still hungry. Then he made our people, and.. We'll hear the rest when we're older.

Y'know, after we undergo that ritual journey that people frequently don't return from?

I'd say that this is all pointing one way - starts with a C and ends with an ANNIBALS.

UppaTree fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 30, 2013

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!

FoxTerrier posted:

We thank the king and let him change our name/cut our hair. But we hold Asherah in our heart where the king cannot see him.

I'm all on board for this plan, though this may be my last pro-Asherah vote if our character abandons the GOD OF GODS. OF THE SEA.

Also, voting for Option 1 for the hugs. For everyone who is bristling at Jalitha calling us sweetling, if she is indeed our real mother this is the first time that she's been able to show full affection towards us, then let her have her moment at least.

Also in a weird way if we are Jalitha's child and Dad is not actually our biological father then clearly Asherah's will has been made known, the line of Dad was never meant to continue fostering the priesthood. He or/and not-Mom must be infertile or incapable of passing down their line, likely because Asherah no loner wants Dad's bloodline to guide in his name.

:edit: sorry for posting late though Diogines, hope this wasn't a tipping vote!

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

Hug: squeeze tight.

and

"It's okay now, mother. We are safe now."

Poor Jalitha, she kept faith when all was against her.

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
I really don't know how you people can hug this woman.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
How dare we display compassion.

Mini-voting 1.

spacetimecontinuu
Dec 31, 2004
Mini vote 1

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Hug mom.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Option 1

The Bad Llama
Nov 22, 2004
The coke is just for color...
Option 2 Say nothing

I don't trust her but I don't feel like putting her on the spot even more is right.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Trundel posted:

:edit: sorry for posting late though Diogines, hope this wasn't a tipping vote!

You never need to worry about that. Generally the vote stays open till everyone has had a chance, or till the vote is overwhelming one sided, or both. Sometimes last minute votes may change the outcome but if they do, it's fine. Og is your guy, don't sweat it.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

A_Bug_That_Thinks posted:

I really don't know how you people can hug this woman.
With our arms presumably :confused:

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
I just realized something. Jalitha tried to give us a haircut. This would definitely ostracise Og, but Og could have been canabalized for it. WTF mom!

That is if they consider a haircut a canabalizing offense, which may be true, as no one else had short hair.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
She might have reasoned that the risk of us being killed was outweighed by a) offending El by not giving us our haircut b) trying to ensure that we did not grow up to be like the cannibals.

BoyG
Nov 24, 2004

Have you heard the tale of the Cannibal King of Kavodel?
Just throwing this out there, I'm not convinced that dad is dead. I know he was decapitated but Asherah's will is strong.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

BoyG posted:

Just throwing this out there, I'm not convinced that dad is dead. I know he was decapitated but Asherah's will is strong.

Fish Vader :dance:

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

I guess I'm the only one who's okay with a liberal cannibalism policy. Purge the infirm, the mutant, the bringer of ill omens! :commissar:

Ya know, until we get prion diseases.

Minivote 1 anyway, 'cause she's our mom, she gets a hug.

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

I just realized something. Jalitha tried to give us a haircut. This would definitely ostracise Og, but Og could have been canabalized for it. WTF mom!

That is if they consider a haircut a canabalizing offense, which may be true, as no one else had short hair.

Its possible that she tried to give us a haircut so El would save us from the cannibalistic barbarians we were living with.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

+1 to hugging Jalitha

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Changing my vote to .

Incidentally, going back over Jalitha's response to "who is my real father"...

Diogines posted:

She looks down at the forest floor. "I... not the man you knew, Sweetling. Ask me again when you are older."

This makes me feel like either the-man-we-knew-as-father changed, somehow, or that there's some other factor involved. Either way, it's probably a point to keep in mind as we go forward.

Edit:
Hot Dog Day 80, Nettle Soup, and Mexican Deathgasm: You guys all have votes in for the hug, but none for the main vote on the hair. Just a heads-up.

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 30, 2013

Tremynci
Jun 16, 2012
1: Hug our mommy and apologize for upsetting her like a wee poo poo.

Also, I sure as gently caress never loved our "dad". I loved Uncle Pagam, and Uncle Jorah, and Jalitha, and "Mom", but "Dad"... At best, I respected him grudgingly. Really, I feared and loathed him, and, being an outsider to the village, I could see that everyone else feared him too. He was the ONLY person we have EVER seen use violence, and it was directed at us and one of the two people who made their love for us openly known. I've been nursing rage against him for years, and deep down, I'm glad he's dead. In fact, I've been praying to El and Smattas for this day to come in my deepest, darkest soul: yeah, I believe in Asherah, but between a hungry force of nature and a benevolent god, I choose nice.

I am NOT going to tell the king that I'm his putative son, and I'm going to thank him for allowing me to fit into this culture -- that's F, right? If I can politely ask to keep some part of my culture -- say, have "Og", "Jorah", or "Pagam" as part of my name or an addition thereto, I will. Otherwise, I'm looking forward to when I can bring non-brutality back to the village with me when I grow up. :)

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Tremynci posted:

1: Hug our mommy and apologize for upsetting her like a wee poo poo.

Also, I sure as gently caress never loved our "dad". I loved Uncle Pagam, and Uncle Jorah, and Jalitha, and "Mom", but "Dad"... At best, I respected him grudgingly. Really, I feared and loathed him, and, being an outsider to the village, I could see that everyone else feared him too. He was the ONLY person we have EVER seen use violence, and it was directed at us and one of the two people who made their love for us openly known. I've been nursing rage against him for years, and deep down, I'm glad he's dead. In fact, I've been praying to El and Smattas for this day to come in my deepest, darkest soul: yeah, I believe in Asherah, but between a hungry force of nature and a benevolent god, I choose nice.

I am NOT going to tell the king that I'm his putative son, and I'm going to thank him for allowing me to fit into this culture -- that's F, right? If I can politely ask to keep some part of my culture -- say, have "Og", "Jorah", or "Pagam" as part of my name or an addition thereto, I will. Otherwise, I'm looking forward to when I can bring non-brutality back to the village with me when I grow up. :)

That's probably closer to + , so I'll mark it down as that with your note.

TenWren
Jan 22, 2012

FoxTerrier posted:

This.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Voting Option 1 in the mini-vote.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Ixtlilton posted:

I guess I'm the only one who's okay with a liberal cannibalism policy. Purge the infirm, the mutant, the bringer of ill omens! :commissar:

Ya know, until we get prion diseases.

Minivote 1 anyway, 'cause she's our mom, she gets a hug.

I, too, support the Freedom to Eat Like She Who Hungers sir!

Tremynci
Jun 16, 2012
Those of you wanting Jalitha to confirm her first-hand knowledge of village cannibalism may want to remember... we're 11. And today is the most traumatic day of our life. Is this something we'd really do, or is it something you, a grown goon who may well have a prediliction for poo poo-stirring, would do?

It seems fairly clear that the people who eat people in the village are mostly, if not entirely, men. Interesting reversal of the historical practices of the Fore, where women and children cannibalized, probably to get protein in their diets. Perhaps this is more like Victorian working-class dietary practice, where men claimed and received almost all the meat brought into the house and women and children subsisted on bread, tea, jam, and dripping? Or it's religious, in that men take on the role of the ever-hungry, all-devouring Asherah?

Canuck-Errant posted:

That's probably closer to + , so I'll mark it down as that with your note.

Thankee! :)

Rhymenoceros
Nov 16, 2008
Monks, a statement endowed with five factors is well-spoken, not ill-spoken. It is blameless & unfaulted by knowledgeable people. Which five?

It is spoken at the right time. It is spoken in truth. It is spoken affectionately. It is spoken beneficially. It is spoken with a mind of good-will.
Voting for option 1.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Our big problem is how we are going to make sure the tooth gets fed every full moon without getting caught.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

As Tudiya and some of the other men pray, kneeling, arms raised ,their hands open towards the sky, you sit for a time and speak to your mother. You want to know who was eaten.

She gives you a hug and shakes her head. "Does it matter, Sweetling?"

You insist you must know.

"They ate the sick" your mother says with a pained expression on her face "They ate the old. They ate the unlucky and little boys who they took out of the village when they did not have anyone else to eat. When... when... too many girls were born, they ate little babies. They ate the people they carried out of the village to bury... they... they ate everyone." She places her hands over her face and begins to cry. You have made your mother cry.

You have no frame of reference to know how old people are supposed to get, nor could you count to sixty, but you have never seen a person older than their late 50s in the village. You have never seen the burials occur, when the men carry the dead out of the village for burial. Those who are sick tend to either heal quickly, or, perish quickly, a prolonged time for recovery is unheard of. No one in the village is missing fingers or limbs or ears or has any other sort of disfiguring injuries.

But you are eleven and have lived here all your life.

That is how it is everywhere.

Right?

All the food your people could ever wanted was close at hand and all of the other necessities of life easily found. It never occured to you to wonder why your village was not much larger and has probably not occurred to you now either.

Nor, perhaps, do you wonder why were all so afraid of your father? Who decided who was to be consumed?

"Not everyone... " you say as you look at her and try to smile. "They didn't eat everyone." Your mother gives out a noise somewhere between a laugh, a sob and a sigh of relief and gives you a strong hug, as if she might protect you from all of the dangers of the world if she can hold you tightly enough.

After a few moments, the child who came with the outsiders comes over and offers your mother a flower he picked from a bush, he offers one to you also and says something in the outsider language. On closer examination, the boy is younger than you might have thought maybe six or seven, not eight? At eleven and tall for your age, you tower over him as Tudiya towers over you. Your mother sniffles once and takes the flower, smiling to the boy, the boy says something you don't understand and your mother sniffles again, wipes her tears and says thank you in the outsider tongue. She sits beside you till the outsider men finish praying.

The men finish praying and Tudiya comes to you, he motions to you to kneel, which you do. He says something and the outsider woman takes a pot and pours a sweet smelling liquid over your hair and begins to wash it. Your mother smiles and says it is alright.

Tudiya speaks, all of the outsiders kneel, as does your mother, who translates his words.

"Sweetling " your mother says "the King says and Labaras was born among the hills and valleys and as his clans had done, he prayed to the beasts of the field and to the moon and sun and stars. And the beasts did not answer him, nor did the sun, nor moon nor stars and so he wandered to search for god. He searched in the trees and in the hills and in the valleys and in the seas and could not find him. And as Labaras climbed Mount Har, he heard a voice."

"Labaras!" Kudiya says. His voice seems you have acquired weight and depth, almost as if you could touch it. "You stand upon the Sacred Mountain of the Creator Who is El! Make yourself Holy! Remove your sandals, anoint yourself with oil and cut your hair before you would seek El!" your mother is still translating and acts as if Tudiya has spoken the outsider tongue, yet you have understood him perfectly.

Something very odd you may not understand is occurring but no one else seems to be aware of it.

The enormous man takes out his very long knife, a sword, the same one you saw him behead a man with and Tudiya cuts your hair to just below shoulder length and ties it into a loose knot with a piece of string. He continues to speak. Your mother translates, even though you still understand him clearly and swear you could almost reach out and touch his words.

"I am Tudiya, Blood of Labaras and King of Zepath. In the name of El I declare this child shall be as if he was born among us. Who will deny me?"

Tudiya looks over the other kneeling outsiders for a moment and several of them give short responses which you guess might mean "not me" though you can't be certain.

Tudiya continues. Your mother keeps translating the outsider tongue as if she needed to, she clearly is hearing the words as if they were in the outsider tongue. "As the wild man Ekindu, a beast of the wilds was brought to El, far from the cities of our fathers, so was this child. I declare his name shall be Enkidel, for he was as Enkidu and brought to El from afar."

The outsiders all say something which is either praise or congratulations and seem rather happy. You look up to Tudiya and thank him in your native tongue, telling him you are honored, he smiles. Before your mother translates your words. You mother stands with you and gives you a tearful squeeze. "All will be well from now on Sweetling, I have dreamed of this day all your life." Tudiya says something and the other men begin to pack up the makeshift camp, but not before each of them give you a handshake or a congratulatory pat on the shoulder.

The camp is packed up and you begin to walk north. Enkidu was a wild man who was in many of the stories your mother told you. He befriended Labaras after he left his home and was later civilized by a woman from El's first temple. He went on many adventures with Labaras and could probably be described as a hero, if a very wild one at that. You do not know what happened to him, your mother never told you that story, if there is one.

You have been named after him.

As you walk, you learn the names of some of the others. The man who seems to be Tudiya's number two is named Barkof, he has a great bushy beard but no hair on his head. The woman is named Keza, she seems to have been brought to cook and clean. The boy, whoevers child he is, you realize is named Danal. He likes to walk beside you and seems to talk endlessly, even if you can't understand most of what he says, he often takes your hand and drags you to the side of the marching line to point out some rock or a strange tree or bug or say something hilarious which only he seems to understand. He says your new name, Enkidel, constantly. He seems to be friendly to you and also has a great interest in plants, beckoning you to pull small flowers or leaves from branches he cannot reach, he seems to be collecting them. At other times he tries to play simple games with you, despite the language barrier or seems to indicate he wants to ride on your shoulders, or he make faces at the fury pack animals or otherwise burns off what seems like a limitless amount of energy.

After you, the next youngest person is probably one of the outsider men who may be in his mid twenties. You are the only children in the small group.

You...

OPTION A Are glad to have someone who is not an adult pay attention to you for the first time in your life, even if he is younger and you tower over him. You are friendly and do as he asks, when you understand.

OPTION B You are friendly, but you don't do what he asks, such as picking high flowers and leaves for him or letting him ride on your shoulders.

OPTION C You are not rude, but you are not friendly. You have a lot on your mind.

OPTION D You are not rude, but you are not friendly. You are an adult and he is a child, you don't want to be associated with him, lest you be treated as a child.

OPTION E You rudely brush him off, you want nothing to do with him.

OPTION F Something else. Fill in.

Question Two. As you walk for the rest of the day, you speak with... PICK TWO.
A. The king, Tudiya.
B. Your mother, Jalitha.
C. The child, Danal.
D. The servant woman, Keza.
E. Barkof, who seems to bring Tudiya's number two among the group.
F. Aron, who seems to be the youngest of the outsider men in his mid 20s.
G. Ishamal, who seems to be the oldest of the outsider men, who is balding and has gray hair.
H. No one, you want silence, it has been a big day.

If you want to, feel free to join us on irc #madgod on synirc.net. The channel tends to always have some people in it and is especially active when updates go up.

If you do not know what IRC is, here is a web based chat version which will not require you to register or download anything: http://chat.mibbit.com/

Diogines fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 31, 2013

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Question 1: A.
Question 2: A and C. If we can understand Tudiya, with his strange weighty voice, perhaps there is a way for him to understand us. Heck, maybe we can find out how to do that. The ability to be understood by anyone would be really useful. And C, because we need to integrate into this society, and befriending contemporaries is the best way to do that.

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 30, 2013

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

2+

We need to learn the language and become acquainted with how we sometimes understand the king. Personally, I think he occasionally speaks in the angelic tongue, and its incorporated into there language. If we are, in fact, nephilim we might understand such a language.

Also, had a rough day. Let's have fun with the kid and try to forget this poo poo. Let's also spend a lot of time with mom because poo poo is hosed and weird.

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 30, 2013

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
1A Tudiya named us a child, so they're not expecting us to act like an adult.

2AB

Althair
Jul 26, 2006
words are weapons
1.A
2.AF

Globofglob
Jan 14, 2008
1A

2AC

We have a friend! Yay!

GloriousDemon
May 1, 2009
1B We need to establish a pecking order, no little shrimp is gonna tell us what to do! But yeah, still be nice to the kid.

2AE Let's talk with the King and Barky, the king treats us like an adult so we can ask him almost anything about the land's lore and geography of the world. And as a king's number two we wanna replace one day, Barkof is probably a guy who get's poo poo done, let's ask him about his adventures.

DIO THE LAST E SHOULD BE H!

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Question 1:

Our first friend. :unsmith:

Question 2: /

The kid is young enough to become a valuable friend and ally later on. Become closer to the king, learn his secrets of power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

2. +

We may not have a chance to talk to the King much when we hit the city, so definitely a little quality time with the big guy. And it would be nice to spend time relaxing with a kid after all that trauma. Besides, a fellow child is more likely to give us blunt assessments of the world we're about to walk into. May not be worth much now when we can only use basic words, but later on...

FoxTerrier fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 30, 2013