Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I see that there.
Aug 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Sapphire, slightly dirty, shaken, up. Please. ..with an olive.

edit: oh I'm late we're talking about paste burgers now. Well, I'll tell you what. Get me that martini and I'll eat your eggplant burger paste and we'll call it even.

I see that there. fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Wow pork and parmesan is really loving good. Like take some slow-roasted pork shoulder, serve with brussel sprouts, microplane shitloads of parmesan over it. gently caress. Pretty baller two dollar meal.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Meh, I used to make a decent meatloaf out of ground turkey. You gotta add a bunch of fat, or else it's dry as hell.

The woman and I just watched the Amy's Baking Company Episode of Ramseys' show. HOLY poo poo, what a psycho. Also, how much money did they waste decking out that kitchen with all the latest equipment? My buddy with the pizza shop doesn't even have a pizza oven that nice, and he has plenty of happy customers.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Kenning posted:

They're not new, but they're definitely an abomination. They've fallen out of fashion because the fashion has gotten better. The 70s-90s were dark decades for cocktails, but we've come a long way in the last 10 years. Also if you're ordering from a bar of course they're not going to strangle you. That's why I do all of my mixing at home, where I don't worry about tips.

Come on. "Martini" is a very vague term, and most of the "purists" would never drink the earliest martini recipes- too much vermouth- served on the rocks, etc.

Ice cubes just dilute my cocktail a bit as they melt. Same as in any other drink served on ice. Hang on, let me find my hair shirt so that I can put it on before I flog myself for not enjoying chilled straight gin in an unwieldy glass.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Wroughtirony posted:

Come on. "Martini" is a very vague term, and most of the "purists" would never drink the earliest martini recipes- too much vermouth- served on the rocks, etc.

Ice cubes just dilute my cocktail a bit as they melt. Same as in any other drink served on ice. Hang on, let me find my hair shirt so that I can put it on before I flog myself for not enjoying chilled straight gin in an unwieldy glass.

No, excuse me but you must drink The One True Martini (tm) or else I will hear nothing of it.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Wroughtirony posted:

This is why craft cocktail bars use large ice cubes. Less surface area = less dilution. Midnight Cowboy here in Austin has some of the best cocktails I've ever had, and I like to think that I know a thing or two about making a good drink.

Re: Parm and pork. This is actually one of my new menu items. Pork belly sandwich with a parm crisp. Best sandwich.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Wroughtirony posted:

This is seriously a "cream in carbonara" argument. People can drink whatever they want, obviously, but if you'd give people poo poo for making food "incorrectly" then it's not inappropriate to give them poo poo for making drinks in a similarly incorrect manner. A vodka martini is a well-done steak. A martini with no vermouth is Alfredo with canned parmesan. A martini on the rocks is beans in chili. An olive instead of a twist is male circumcision.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Wroughtirony posted:

Eh, I think it is a pretty specific drink actually. If you want it on the rocks then it really stops being a martini and just becomes "gin on the rocks with some olive juice" or whatever. I also think that a pretty healthy amount of vermouth is needed to make it a martini. I do agree about the stemware thing, I much prefer a simple gin and bitters in a small rocks glass.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

One trend I really appreciate lately is the greater use of the coupe glass. Cocktail glasses are really sloshy, but coupe glasses are a lot easier to use while remaining at least as elegant as the traditional cone-shape.

I see that there.
Aug 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Kenning posted:

This is seriously a "cream in carbonara" argument. People can drink whatever they want, obviously, but if you'd give people poo poo for making food "incorrectly" then it's not inappropriate to give them poo poo for making drinks in a similarly incorrect manner. A vodka martini is a well-done steak. A martini with no vermouth is Alfredo with canned parmesan. A martini on the rocks is beans in chili. An olive instead of a twist is male circumcision.

A terrible opinion, broken on the rocks with an onion.
Just look at this shipwreck.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

:psyduck: Somehow I missed 3 men 1 hammer. What do I drink to get rid of this taste in my mouth?

E: VVVV :golfclap: Well done.

Yeah... I'm a pretty grizzled and sarcastic dude, but the whole helpless suffering of 3 men 1 hammer really hosed me up for a long time..

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Man I googled "what is 3 men 1 hammer" and that's as far as I want to get, thanks.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Vegetable Melange posted:

First they came for the martini, and I did not speak up, because I was underage. Then they came for the manhattan, and I didn't speak up, because whatever gets people drinking whiskey is a start. Then they came for the pimms cup but whatever, that owns.

But if you start loving with the negroni I will bury you all. Xoxo, VM, your humble cocktologist.

gently caress yeah, negronis for life.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

gently caress negronis forever.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Doing some work in my new backyard and I just about put a shoulder into a mass of swarming bees:

Wish I was a little further along moving in...if I already had my garden set up I'd be tempted to make a backyard apiary.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Does anyone have a favorite ham and cheese or turkey and swiss combo?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Three slices of deli turkey shingled on the flat top with 2 slices of provolone and bacon. Roll it, serve on croissant with chipotle mayo and avocado. I find club sandwiches to be terribly boring. When I do get an order for one, they always want it cold.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them
Is this the part where I tell you I don't like in. I think it taste like pine needles.

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

Drink and Fight posted:

My experience is the complete opposite. Normal bars just count out a pour for your jack and coke or whatever, high-end cocktail bars do precise measurements so your Aviation comes out perfect.

Or were you talking about those horrible pour-limit devices?
I think we're saying the same thing but with the terminology turned around :saddowns:

In all the good places I've been they pour by hand to exact measurements, in the bad ones they give you one of these:

For rum&cokes it's okay but ugh, nothing worse than one of those sweet, sugary cocktails made of equal parts of everything regardless of flavour...

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

So cronut scalping is a thing I guess.

(This is what a cronut is if you're like me and don't keep up with < 3 week old NYC food trends)

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Not gonna lie, I'd stuff my face with one (or more) of those.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Doh004 posted:

Yeah, it looks great but FORTY DOLLARS

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

SubG posted:

Doing some work in my new backyard and I just about put a shoulder into a mass of swarming bees:

Wish I was a little further along moving in...if I already had my garden set up I'd be tempted to make a backyard apiary.

This is when they're least likely to do you harm. Little gals just looking for a home is all.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Doh004 posted:

I wonder if they would make good hamburger buns...

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Those look pretty good but I don't know if they look good enough to go through all that poo poo to pay 5 dollars a piece of them.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

When you think you've found the perfect one, add a fried egg to it.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Whatever Mr. 99% :smugdog:

Squashy Nipples posted:

I wonder if they would make good hamburger buns...

Yes, definitely.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I know people aren't as crazy about vizzle as they used to be but is lamb loin THE single best application of it for a lean meat? I say yes.

FishBulb posted:

Those look pretty good but I don't know if they look good enough to go through all that poo poo to pay 5 dollars a piece of them.
Obvi not but in a city of eight million you're going to be competing with the .0125% of the population that are most obsessed with cronuts on a given day. So if you don't consider yourself in that fraction on a given day (ie, if you do not think that in a random sample of 8000 people you will be the most cronut-crazy) it's probably not worth waiting in line!

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Who's ready to grill?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

That dude needs to be wearing a Utilikilt, full-stop.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Drink and Fight posted:

Who's ready to grill?

How could you not provide a link?!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

TacticLOL has leaked out of the gun nut forum.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

FishBulb posted:

How could you not provide a link?!

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/11cd/

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 30, 2013

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I would sacrifice my first-born for a fresh cronut. I am moved nearly to tears by man's creativity and ingenuity. gently caress I want one so badly.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I want to get down there in the morning anyways - do you think 6:30 would be early enough for cronuts? I could just bring a folding chair and code for an hour and a half.

EDIT: Nm, it looks like we're at peak cronut right now. The waits will be less in a few months.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 30, 2013

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Any suggestions for awesome places to go/things to do/places to eat in Tuscany?

I'll bet there aren't cronuts in Tuscany :(

Real bad news: I think main wife has coeliac disease. I always poopooed people with gluten or lactose intolerances (thinking they were probably just hypochondriacs) but I think it's the real thing. Her father is/was a gastroenterologist and he has preliminarily diagnosed coeliac. No gluten, which really loving sucks, especially as she loves cakes, etc, and is a really good baker.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

therattle posted:

I'll bet there aren't cronuts in Tuscany :(

Tuscany don't need no cronuts.

Are you going anywhere in particular? There's an awful lot to see.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Tuscany don't need no cronuts.

Are you going anywhere in particular? There's an awful lot to see.

Near Poggibonsi? Staying in a converted restored farmhouse on an organic farm:
http://www.barbiallanuova.it/en/case.shtml

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I assume you'll have transport? You're close to both Sienna and Firenze. Both will get absolutely filled with tourists, but at the same time, both are must visit destinations as far as cities are concerned. You're right in Chianti, so there should be some winery touring involved or at least thought about, I should think. To the West a bit is Rosignano Marittimo, a nice little seaside town, if you want to take in some beach time.

But really it's Tuscany so try not to plan too much and just go with the flow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Josh Lyman posted:

Smoked ham sliced thick, smoked turkey pulled off the bone, slice of Emmentaler top and bottom, on toasted sliced challah, with some sriracha.