Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

New issue came out this week. Book is still the best thing Marvel is publishing.

Every thing continues to get worse for Shirley :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Waterhaul posted:

New issue came out this week. Book is still the best thing Marvel is publishing.

You are talking about the new Fury book right?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Flaggy posted:

You are talking about the new Fury book right?

Yeah should've been clearer though the thread has kind of become Ennis Max Central.

It's still a really good book that everybody that even remotely enjoyed Punisher Max should read.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Waterhaul posted:

Yeah should've been clearer though the thread has kind of become Ennis Max Central.

It's still a really good book that everybody that even remotely enjoyed Punisher Max should read.

I will have to pick it up, I thought you were talking about a Punisher book I may have missed.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Punisher will be in next month's Avenging Spider-Man issue.

Now THAT should be fun. And hopefully, completely disconnected from Thunderbolts.

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

He laughs. The line goes dead.
Fury is such an incredibly mean comic, goddamn.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Waterhaul posted:

Yeah, Fury rejecting her was just as awful as I expected it to be, and he just drove the knife deeper by vocalizing how much she's changed from the "spitfire" he remembered her as, combined with that "sunken" look he took at her when she looked away.

I was wrong about Hatherly, at least.

Flaggy posted:

I will have to pick it up, I thought you were talking about a Punisher book I may have missed.

1-6 is out in TPB form. 7-13 won't be until September.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:18 on May 30, 2013

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Breetai posted:

Wish You Were Here is perhaps the sole exception, mainly because it focuses on the interactions between survivors moreso than on woundfucking.

I maintain the only thing that ruins Crossed for me is David Lapham who seems unable to tell a story with a decent payoff

I really liked both of Ennis's crossed stories

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

1-6 is out in TPB form. 7-13 won't be until September.

You can pre-order the TPB for 7-13 on Amazon.

picosecond
Dec 9, 2006

one millionth of one millionth of a second
Just finished reading the new Fury MAX and all I can say is, I wish he'd done a lot worse to Barracuda.

It also got me thinking about politics. Cuba and Vietnam are before my time, but I was alive during Nicaragua and I have memories of people talking about it. The Iran-Contra hearings are pretty well known too, even today. So... did we, as Americans, really know this kind of poo poo was going on and didn't care? Because, like, Ollie North is a free man and does books signings and poo poo. What the hell, man. Pug's just a symptom of a greater disease if that's the case -- and Fury, badass or not, is more of a byproduct.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

picosecond posted:

Just finished reading the new Fury MAX and all I can say is, I wish he'd done a lot worse to Barracuda.
Me too, but what could Fury do that wouldn't gently caress with Cuda's later appearances in Punisher Max?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

picosecond posted:

It also got me thinking about politics. Cuba and Vietnam are before my time, but I was alive during Nicaragua and I have memories of people talking about it. The Iran-Contra hearings are pretty well known too, even today. So... did we, as Americans, really know this kind of poo poo was going on and didn't care? Because, like, Ollie North is a free man and does books signings and poo poo. What the hell, man. Pug's just a symptom of a greater disease if that's the case -- and Fury, badass or not, is more of a byproduct.

The 80s were a big "my country, right or wrong" time - and it was a "brown" war that wasn't costing us a lot of money. So yeah, other than the normal folks who abhorred US involvement in other country's affairs - no one cared, and so long as it was financially expedient to continue on with it, no one pretended they knew. And North isn't the only one - G. Gordon Liddy and the rest of his Plumber ilk slipping into the vacuum of attention following Watergate and making a career out of how little the government hosed them after breaking the law - THAT'S got some loving face to it.

This isn't the only time drugs have supposedly funded a US interest, either - though it'll never be proven concretely, opium was rumored to have contributed to a lot of the CIA's funding from the late 70s into the early 90s. And before even that, with the Kuomintang being the suppliers.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 30, 2013

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is it wrong that I enjoyed the last Punisher War Zone with Frank vs the Avengers?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

gfanikf posted:

Is it wrong that I enjoyed the last Punisher War Zone with Frank vs the Avengers?

I mean, it isn't bad. But I think a lot in this thread were following the behind-the-scenes stuff and we all kinda know that this wasn't how Rucka envisioned Frank ending up this way at the end of his run.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I thought it was pretty bad.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

notthegoatseguy posted:

I mean, it isn't bad. But I think a lot in this thread were following the behind-the-scenes stuff and we all kinda know that this wasn't how Rucka envisioned Frank ending up this way at the end of his run.

Yeah, I can understand that, but with that caveat in mind, I just really enjoyed it and Franks interactions with the various other superheroes since the subject matter could have easily been done shittly. I guess the fact that the art was (as in the rest of War Zone) excellent.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

gfanikf posted:

I thought it was the bitchiest bust Frank ever took (seriously, "Sir, yes Sir" while on his knees?), but everything leading up to that was fine. As I think I wrote before, the way they incarcerated him seemed inhumane (by Frank's standards) - solitary for the rest of his life (in an underwater prison with no inmates to kill) with a steady stream of unrestricted information fed to him daily via television and internet - he'd be able to watch the world decay and get worse and be able to do absolutely nothing about it. It showed just how little they all understood him, or how badly Stark wanted to torture him because he'd made the rich boy eat a good mouthful of humble pie.

It would have been much better if Black Widow had come in on the last few panels and made it obvious that she gave him a soldier's death.

And finally, you've got the real tragedy that they never even gave Alves a chance to try the Punisher mantle on because I guess women can only be *reformed* murderers in the Marvel universe!

In lighter news, Fury Max 13 comes out Wednesday. I can't wait to see how it ends, but I really don't *want* it to end.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jun 24, 2013

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

And finally, you've got the real tragedy that they never even gave Alves a chance to try the Punisher mantle on because I guess women can only be *reformed* murderers in the Marvel universe!

Lady Punisher was a terrible idea that was clumsily set up from the start of Rucka's run, and I'm really glad it was scuttled before it even had a chance to happen. It just makes his entire awful run seem even more inconsequential in hindsight.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Lady Punisher was a terrible idea that was clumsily set up from the start of Rucka's run, and I'm really glad it was scuttled before it even had a chance to happen. It just makes his entire awful run seem even more inconsequential in hindsight.

Maybe in *his* hands, but one can hope they give it to someone like Rob Williams, who's doing "Miss Fury" for Dynamite at the moment, or hell, even Paul Dini. Or give Valerie D'Orazio another shot at the Punisher universe after "Butterfly."

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Wait so the Avengers V. Punisher thing included Frank fighting Iron-Man? Sure they had a decent enough explanation with Thor just giving him a beer but Tony, if he ever managed to muster the give a poo poo would just repulsor Franks torso off and fly away.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

SirDan3k posted:

Wait so the Avengers V. Punisher thing included Frank fighting Iron-Man? Sure they had a decent enough explanation with Thor just giving him a beer but Tony, if he ever managed to muster the give a poo poo would just repulsor Franks torso off and fly away.

Not only did he fight Iron Man, he stole an Iron Man suit, booby-trapped it, and bloodied Tony, leading Stark to actually call Frank "clever" and formally declare his hate for him.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jun 25, 2013

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Not only did he fight Iron Man, he stole an Iron Man suit, booby-trapped it, and bloodied Tony, leading Stark to actually call Frank "clever" and formally declare his hate for him.

Oh well then I'm extra glad I skipped that bout of utter stupidity then.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SirDan3k posted:

Oh well then I'm extra glad I skipped that bout of utter stupidity then.

Add some gay jokes and poop jokes and it's a Garth Ennis story.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."

Lurdiak posted:

Add some gay jokes and poop jokes and it's a Garth Ennis story.

that was a greg rucka comic actually

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

d00gZ posted:

that was a greg rucka comic actually

Yes, and I'm saying it might as well be an Ennis comic with how stupidly overpowered and morally righteous Frank comes across as.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
Well, I mean:

A) It's a Punisher comic. He's the protagonist. It's what it says on the tin.
B) I don't really think anything Punisher did people wouldn't have gone "gently caress yeah!" if, like, Batman had done it. He's Solid Snake in the Marvel Universe fighting a guerrilla war against the Avengers. I really don't think any of the Avengers were particularly out of character.

I dunno, I liked the mini a lot.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Yes, and I'm saying it might as well be an Ennis comic with how stupidly overpowered and morally righteous Frank comes across as.

To be fair, he wasn't fighting Iron Man to win - he knew he wouldn't. He 'fought' him to piss him off and delay him from noticing that Alves wasn't around, giving her more time to put distance between him and The Avengers. He also used only enough force to 'humble' Stark - not to kill him. The same thing is true in the "Confederacy of Dunces" arc, which coincidentally was written by Ennis, where he freely acknowledges that he can't take on the trio of Daredevil, Spider Man, and Wolverine without fighting dirty. He's hardly "stupidly overpowered" in it, he just fights smart, despite nearly being crippled in a fight with Daredevil.

I think what might bother me the most is that the best Frank & Captain America moment was when CA beat the poo poo out of him during the Civil War arc because he executed supervillains - supervillains that had made it clear that they were allying with 'the good guys' to fight Osborn (he did it to get CA into the right mindset to fight Osborn). It flashed back to CA meeting Frank at Parris Island and kicking his rear end there, as well. So seeing Frank on his knees eking out a weak "Sir, yes Sir" because CA told him to was a really bitch way to see Frank go out. I'd have preferred him fighting CA again, even though he knew he'd lose, simply because "that's my Frank."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 26, 2013

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Fury Max ended this week the only way it could and it was holy poo poo drat brilliant depressing :smith:

Ennis and Parlov hit a complete home run with this book, everybody seriously needs to read it.

Plus the silver lining that the letters page announces that the duo are working an another unannounced project.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

Fury Max ended this week the only way it could and it was holy poo poo drat brilliant depressing :smith:

Ennis and Parlov hit a complete home run with this book, everybody seriously needs to read it.

Plus the silver lining that the letters page announces that the duo are working an another unannounced project.

Yeah. Jesus.

And I hope the 'unannounced project' is a series that takes place even before "Born." That's really the only part of Frank's story that's only been slightly shown in flashbacks. Or they could just let it finally end. vOv

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 26, 2013

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Waterhaul posted:

Fury Min, twelve issues of hugs and cupcakes. :unsmith:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah. Jesus.

And I hope the 'unannounced project' is a series that takes place even before "Born." That's really the only part of Frank's story that's only been slightly shown in flashbacks. Or they could just let it finally end. vOv

A lot of this was told in 616 books like The 'Nam back in the day. Although while some of the 616 stuff does double duty with 616 and the MAX universe, who's to say if any of that does.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I just bought the Destroyer MAX TPB from a bargain bin and HOLY CRAP - that's the manliest book ever, and a ton of fun. I almost wish Walker and Kirkman would do another mini-series as a prequel lead-up to that book.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
Is Space Punisher as Awesome as I hope it is? I saw it quickly while my wife was dragging me thru Hastings. Does it have a paperback I can pick up? I can't seem to find much on it.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Space Punisher was pretty awesome. I just checked Comixology, and you can get the whole thing for $8 ($2 per issue).

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Throb Robinson posted:

Is Space Punisher as Awesome as I hope it is? I saw it quickly while my wife was dragging me thru Hastings. Does it have a paperback I can pick up? I can't seem to find much on it.
It was pretty dumb, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. I would definitely be up for a sequel.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I don't know if I like this "Trial of the Punisher" book yet, but it's got a decent start.

EDIT: Looks like I only have next issue to decide - it's only a two-issue series.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Sep 26, 2013

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I don't know if I like this "Trial of the Punisher" book yet, but it's got a decent start.

EDIT: Looks like I only have next issue to decide - it's only a two-issue series.

Guggenheim (or however you spell it) had a stunningly mediocre run on Wolverine and a mediocre run on Spider-Man during Brand New Day. This Punisher story isn't anything different.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I thought it was a nice little 1 off story for the Punisher. I just want a monthly back.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Flaggy posted:

I thought it was a nice little 1 off story for the Punisher. I just want a monthly back.

Thunderbolts was actually pretty good for a while but last issue didn't impress me all that much.

I think Punisher has trouble keeping a solo title up for sales for long. Fraction's Punisher: War Journal seemed to get tied into several events or status quos to boost sales a bit, but I don't really remember if it was cancelled since Fraction was moving on to other titles or to poor sales. Rucka seemed to shun event tie ins and whatnot except for a bit of crossover with Avenging Spider-Man and Daredevil, and that probably didn't help the book any. The only title I remember really feeling like it completed its own story on its own was Remender's Punisher.

Punisher MAX is a whole different story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Honestly I feel like the MAX line is Punisher's true home, if that makes any sense. I'm not a huge fan of 616 Punisher but MAX just works on some deep level.

• Locked thread