Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

Ez posted:

Dr Life was a terrible guest. Boring as gently caress blowhard.

I don't think Adam will ever catch on that the show only needs one obnoxiously self-promoting blowhard. I don't know what I expected though, the guy took the name "Dr. Life".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

dayman posted:

I don't think Adam will ever catch on that the show only needs one obnoxiously self-promoting blowhard. I don't know what I expected though, the guy took the name "Dr. Life".

I just saw that podcast listed - I knew has soon as I saw a guy named Dr. Life was on it (holy gently caress, that name) that it would be a terrible episode. Came here to confirm it and I now feel justified.

Any good ones recently?

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN
I really want to like Ace on the House. Ray is very interesting and he (mostly) has good chemistry with Adam. The problem is, Adam just trashes Ray constantly for not owning a home, and also trashes Ray's parents for never owning a home, despite the fact that Adam makes it seem like Ray's mom took better care of him than his own parents. It's just very off putting.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

NewtGoongrich posted:

I really want to like Ace on the House. Ray is very interesting and he (mostly) has good chemistry with Adam. The problem is, Adam just trashes Ray constantly for not owning a home, and also trashes Ray's parents for never owning a home, despite the fact that Adam makes it seem like Ray's mom took better care of him than his own parents. It's just very off putting.

The way Adam treats Ray is appalling. TBH, that is what started souring me to Adam in general. They have been friends forever and Ray seems like a pretty nice guy if you ever hear him talk outside the context of Adam, but Adam just keeps bringing up crazy stuff that Ray did like 30 years ago.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Andrew Dice Clay makes Adam look like an SJW. Holy crap.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Boinks posted:

Andrew Dice Clay makes Adam look like an SJW. Holy crap.

I thought he was pretty funny, his persona is just so over the top I couldn't help but laugh.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Ez posted:

I thought he was pretty funny, his persona is just so over the top I couldn't help but laugh.
The Diceman is such a cartoon character, it's ridiculous and hilarious. I liked how he even had Carolla almost at a loss for words a few times.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

RightClickSaveAs posted:

The Diceman is such a cartoon character, it's ridiculous and hilarious. I liked how he even had Carolla almost at a loss for words a few times.

I'm pretty sure I could hear Alison blushing a few times.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Bryan is so desperate to be known as "the movie guy" but it's painfully obvious that he has no taste in movies and knows loving nothing. In the span of one episode he says he liked Fast 6 and tries to talk about Dazed and Confused admitting that he didn't know what came first, Dazed and Confused or That 70s Show, and he wasn't sure if Ben Affleck was famous at that time or not (everybody knows this was essentially his first role).

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

The way Adam treats Ray is appalling. TBH, that is what started souring me to Adam in general. They have been friends forever and Ray seems like a pretty nice guy if you ever hear him talk outside the context of Adam, but Adam just keeps bringing up crazy stuff that Ray did like 30 years ago.

He treats Drew pretty lovely on their show too. Maybe it's age making him angrier, or he's always been this way and can do it more because he owns the network. Whatever the case is, he's got some serious personal issues.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~
In some sense I can sympathize for Adam, because he basically has an army of people and their families(not to mention his own) depending on him to make this sort of untested idea really work and pull a steady paycheck. I know he's been in leadership positions before, but I think he's always had a paycheck coming from somewhere to fall back on if his crew of doofy friends hosed something up. It doesn't totally excuse the way he treats his close friends, on air no less, but I understand why he's so stressed out.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Adam is an ignorant douche, but I would also argue he likely has gotten harsher because another one of his "fuckup buddies" is now in a legal battle with him. I could be totally wrong, but I would think something like that would generally sour you on the group of friends you've known for years.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

Beeez posted:

Adam is an ignorant douche, but I would also argue he likely has gotten harsher because another one of his "fuckup buddies" is now in a legal battle with him. I could be totally wrong, but I would think something like that would generally sour you on the group of friends you've known for years.

Which buddy is this? Also, Adam clearly hates the poor, so why does he even bother keeping his old friends?

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

NewtGoongrich posted:

Which buddy is this? Also, Adam clearly hates the poor, so why does he even bother keeping his old friends?

Donny turned into a total rear end in a top hat.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

NewtGoongrich posted:

He certainly wouldn't be friends with them if he met them now.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~
If Donny had moved that goddamn motorbike we wouldn't be in this mess.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Or brought in the loving carpet cleaner!

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Donny might be worthless, but I wouldn't put it past Adam and his advisors to gently caress Donny out of the partnership. Truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
I haven't listened to Ace on the House in awhile and first the most part I've cut my Adam listening down to a few times a week. Anyway I'm most of the way through this week's episode, and I'm surprised Ray hasn't murdered Adam throughout the whole episode. Adam is literally ripping Ray to shreds with insults. Man I knew their relationship had soured but ouch; Adam is a total dick.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Besides people that get paid by Adam there's no one on this earth that enjoys any of the musical jingles that introduce segments right???

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

Besides people that get paid by Adam there's no one on this earth that enjoys any of the musical jingles that introduce segments right???

I think there was one I liked that they don't play anymore but I can't remember which it was. Maybe Dr Spaz, but even that ones not great. Allison's is played out, Baldywood is absolutely terrible, Dawson's game intros are lame.

Dave Dameshek's #1 Sports is good, if you would count that.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

beep by grandpa posted:

I actually tweeted a similar sentiment to Allison, as I thought her jingles had been forced upon her on her show, but apparently she's had hers since her Ustream show in New York. I do not get it.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah I liked the #1 Sports and the Dr. Spaz ones. Some musician poster said the missed guitar notes drove him nuts on the Dr. Spaz one, but I didn't notice. Even those are just a push, though, and the other ones were actively annoying.

They definitely feel like some producer dogma that would get dropped when you started podcasting, but people write stuff like this as favors/for cheap and maybe Adam thinks it eats time.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

Any particularly good episodes in the past week or so? The last one I listened to was Monica Mehta.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dr. Spaz one is good only because Bruce hates it. All the others are way too long. Even if Adam is under a lot of pressure and that's the reason for him being a dick, there is no reason to do it during a show. It's cringeworthy when he does it. He absolutely shreds Bruce too. Have a feeling he's going to be a lonely old man when his days in entertainment are numbered. He needs some serious therapy.

While I've been hoping Adam and Drew show could turn into the old Loveline magic, I don't think it's going to happen. Vastly underestimated how important having a slew of moron teenagers and 20-somethings to play off of was. The show isn't bad now, it just doesn't seem to know what it wants to be. They usually banter around for 30-40 minutes and then take 2 boring calls. If you're going to take 2 calls, line up some good ones. If you're going to put anyone on, then you need more calls per show. It just seems like they're in this weird in-between where they want to be a 2-person talk show one minute and a call-in show at the end for a few minutes.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
Wow, Donny's suing Adam again: http://www.tmz.com/2013/06/03/adam-carolla-lawsuit-photos/

quote:

The BITTER personal feud between Adam Carolla and a childhood friend just got pettier ... Donny Misraje is suing Carolla, saying the podcasting king published 2 old photos in his book without permission ... according to docs obtained by TMZ.

The pics are crappy point-and-shoot stuff ... one shows a group of friends from '85, and the other is a snapshot of the comedian in '84. Both appeared in Carolla's "Not Taco Bell Material," released last June.

Misraje claims he was a big part of Carolla's growing media empire in the beginning ... they'd been besties for 30 YEARS ... but he got the boot in September 2011 when Carolla brought in business managers who clashed with Misraje. He sued Carolla in January for breach of contract ... that lawsuit is still pending.

Misraje says he took the photos and therefore owns the copyrights, so he's entitled to unspecified damages. But the real knife-twister -- he wants the court to force Carolla to recall all unsold copies of the book and turn them over "for destruction" ... this according to the federal lawsuit filed last week in California.

We reached out to Carolla for comment -- so far, no word back.

Saint Jimmy
Jul 5, 2006

Man, this is why you don't go into business with your friends.

And I hate each and every jingle on the show, almost as much as I hate when adam calls allison "baby girl"

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Saint Jimmy posted:

And I hate each and every jingle on the show, almost as much as I hate when adam calls allison "baby girl"

That goes back to Loveline, he called callers that on the regular...I found it irritating then, so I can imagine why this would grate.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

That goes back to Loveline, he called callers that on the regular...I found it irritating then, so I can imagine why this would grate.

I never minded when he said it on loveline because it was always to dumb teenage girls. When he does it to Allison it's condescending as hell and she's so much smarter and more talented than he is so it really bugs me.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

That's so loving stupid. I don't think those two specific pictures constitute any measurable effect on the book's success, they're just background noise. That is unbelievably petty on any level.

Saint Jimmy posted:

It made more sense when he was talking to 13 year old girls. It's probably just a habit now. My 2 year old said "good times" to me the other day, which means I must say it way more than I think I do.

Did anyone listen to the Dr Drew episode with superfan Giovanni? I purposely avoided it for the longest time, cause who wants to listen to a weirdo sniveling nerd sperg about his obsession? It was very, very interesting. That kid had one of the worst loving lives imaginable in our current culture and he seems so loving normal and casual about it.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I found it to be kind of a "my potato salad is better" arguments. He almost kind of relishes how lovely his childhood was. It's like he had the whole thing chambered up and ready to go.

It actually makes me feel empathy for the guy. He behaves really oddly but his life is so hosed up that it kinda explains it.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
I get why people would find it demeaning that Adam calls Alison baby girl, but she has mentioned a couple of times that she actually gets a kick out of terms of endearment and she's done it when Adam's not around and not likely to hear back about it. So in this particular case, a lot of the cringe factor is gone.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Well, Deacon Jones passed away. Guess that means we'll get to hear the head slap story again, perhaps set to memorial music.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...
As a Bruins fan, it was amazing to hear Dameshek lament about his Penguins after hearing they lost the game last night. They should just make him a permanent cast member.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

dayman posted:

As a Bruins fan, it was amazing to hear Dameshek lament about his Penguins after hearing they lost the game last night. They should just make him a permanent cast member.

Am I the only one who hates Dameshek? His whiny voice and constant pandering to Adam make him god drat insufferable. I usually skip the episodes that feature him now (in addition to DAG).

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
I didn't like Dameshek on the old radio show, but I gave Daves of Thunder a shot and he really grew on me.

But I have a lot of family in Pittsburgh, so maybe it's just the soothing sound of his accent that won me over :allears:

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Dave's my favorite returning guest now that Larry isn't on anymore.

On the other hand, I cant stand DAG anymore.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

I love Damashek. He does pander to Adam but I think he's just being a good guest. Him singing Creep of the Week always cracks me up.

Boinks posted:

On the other hand, I cant stand DAG anymore.
I wouldn't mind DAG if Adam didn't force him to do that stupid Teddy Pendergrass impression every single time he's on.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Medullah posted:

Well, Deacon Jones passed away. Guess that means we'll get to hear the head slap story again, perhaps set to memorial music.
I like the Deacon Jones story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Ez posted:

I wouldn't mind DAG if Adam didn't force him to do that stupid Teddy Pendergrass impression every single time he's on.

I stopped listening to DAG episodes because of this, it was just so cringeworthy. In fact I think it was the reason why I stopped listening to the main show and now just focus on Adam and Drew.