Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

HalloKitty posted:

If you want to bump it modestly, you literally head into the BIOS, find the setting that turbos all cores under load, and set the turbo multiplier to something like 42. 4.2GHz would be trivial for a 2700K. Keep going if you want to play, by all means, but basically with that, boom, you've upgraded to the CPU you wanted.

You'd definitely want to upgrade from the crappy stock Intel cooler, though. (Assuming that's what you have).

I have a Coolermaster V8 cooler, so I should be fine. I'll try that today when I get home from work.

Factory Factory posted:

What on earth is making your chip feel slow anyway?

Sometimes a little Norton thing pops up that says "High CPU Usage: Shogun 2" or whatever. Also the chip is apparently bringing my Windows Experience score down by like .2 or something. Yes I know those are probably stupid reasons to want to upgrade. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Maybe Norton is your problem.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Get rid of Norton.

e:f,b

I guess I'll add that I've been really impressed how long my CPU has stayed relevant when previously I was upgrading every 2 years. I got my i7 920 a bit after they launched in some amazing microcenter sale where I saved a ton on the cpu and they made it up by charging a ton for the mobo because they knew once I had the cpu I couldn't wait a few days to order something online. I could probably live with it a little longer but Haswell seems a good a time as any to upgrade, and it'll be nice to finally have usb 3.0 ports I guess.

davebo fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 28, 2013

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Martello posted:

Sometimes a little Norton thing pops up that says "High CPU Usage...

That sounds really annoying and unnecessary.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Bob Morales posted:

Are the Atoms being used in laptops/netbooks anymore or just stuff like the Surface RT?
For one thing, netbooks just aren't being made anymore basically with AMD having taken that market away from Intel (and gladly by them almost) given the poor margins and Intel's focus upon ULV mobile to respond to the iPad + iPhone ARM onslaught (I am not a believer that Intel has won from the cloud revolution unlike some writers / visionaries out there). There's been a number of Atoms pushed into the now-saturated / moribund home server market in recent years shifting from the really esoteric CPUs (including MIPS) that a lot of NASes used just out of being cheap but Atoms are hardly having the focus they used to have in, say, 2008 with the netbook craze. I find it kind of hilarious that AMD kinda randomly showed up and won here when people were focusing upon nVidia (remember the nVidia Ion series?) v. Intel for so long.

[quote=""movax}With both companies having their sights set on ~10" tablets/portables and trying to compete against ARM, we'll be seeing movement towards the power corner vs. raw clocks/performance/etc I think (R&D dollars have almost certainly been targeted more towards thing that can bring down TDP vs. exploring architectures)[/quote"]I still think the tablet game is basically over though without a way for developers to port everything over to x86 quickly. Apple may ironically make x86 mobile rather relevant if they release a solid iOS for x86 tool suite something similar to Rosetta in pursuit of their "iOS ALL THE THINGS" strategy that's highly controversial. The big winning move that could be made with x86 tablets requiring minimal cooperation from the Android / Apple side is if a hypervisor could be started that lets users run iOS, Android, Linux, Windows, etc. on their 10" tablets. That's been awful quiet for a while when I last saw Xen making some moves to do it in 2009 for laptops. ARM virtualization is hardly something at the top of vendors' agendas it seems in favor of baking in user profiles instead while x86 virtualization is basically oldhat now.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

necrobobsledder posted:

(I am not a believer that Intel has won from the cloud revolution unlike some writers / visionaries out there).
Server margins and dollars don't lie. The ARM threat has always been low-value commodities coming up the value chain, not a horizontal displacement.

necrobobsledder posted:

I still think the tablet game is basically over though without a way for developers to port everything over to x86 quickly. Apple may ironically make x86 mobile rather relevant if they release a solid iOS for x86 tool suite something similar to Rosetta in pursuit of their "iOS ALL THE THINGS" strategy that's highly controversial.
Don't they still control the only official toolchain that you can release programs on the only official app store with? They don't need a "Rosetta" or even developer awareness, they need a point update to that toolchain to spit x86 out the backend instead of ARM.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

davebo posted:

Get rid of Norton.

So Norton isn't the industry leader or whatever? What's a better antivirus program?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Martello posted:

So Norton isn't the industry leader or whatever? What's a better antivirus program?
Microsoft Security Essentials is free and doesn't cause performance impact or system problems like other programs do.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I think actually getting a virus would be less obtrusive than running Norton after 1998, but yeah MSE.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Does quicksync support video decode or is it just encode only? Right now I'm looking into solutions to decode/playback very large files without dropping frames. Stuff thats 3480x4320@24fps. I know display and transmission are another issue and for now we're going to scale the content back to 3480x2160 for 4K TVs over HDMI.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 28, 2013

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
QuickSync refers specifically to the transcode engine, but chips with Quicksync support also have both standard decode acceleration and full video engines with color timing/deinterlacing/filters and such. I believe that Ivy Bridge/HD 4000 supports 4K (in the sense of 3840x2160) video. Earlier GPUs don't. Not sure about HD 2500. Not sure about higher-than-that res.

What codec are the files in?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Factory Factory posted:

What codec are the files in?

They can be whatever. The video files will be generated on my end from source material.

For now I'm targetting IO heavy, processing lite. I can only buy so fast a CPU and writing a custom decoder/player is a tough sell. I can always buy fast(er) storage. I'll probably run out of CPU cycles before I run out of disk IO wrt this scenario.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Might want to ask in the post-production megathread.

Question: Can you encode to 4Kx2K res before it's displayed, or does the endpoint have to display the full 4Kx4K video and scale on the fly?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Factory Factory posted:

Might want to ask in the post-production megathread.

Question: Can you encode to 4Kx2K res before it's displayed, or does the endpoint have to display the full 4Kx4K video and scale on the fly?

End goal is to have 4k x 4k decoded and displayed when/if we can get the display hardware which is why I'm not 'demoing' 4k x 2k now although I could just to get things rolling. The reason why its 4x4 is that its actually 2 4x2 frames stacked for stereo. For interlaced stereo displaying, its possible to throw away half the data and pack everything into 4k x 2k but we are also targeting full res for both eyes.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Ugh criminy. That's kinda bleeding edge.

Can you skip frames? H.264 level 5.2 can do 4Kx2K at 48 FPS, and you can skip every other frame for single screens. And H.264 is widely supported for hardware-assisted decode.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Factory Factory posted:

Ugh criminy. That's kinda bleeding edge.

Can you skip frames? H.264 level 5.2 can do 4Kx2K at 48 FPS, and you can skip every other frame for single screens. And H.264 is widely supported for hardware-assisted decode.

Thats interesting, good to know. But how well optimized is level 5.2 hardware decode?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Oh hell, I don't know. The real issue here is using a codec with DXVA support. H.264 is an excellent target codec because it can very thoroughly hardware-assisted. H.264/MVC also has inbuilt S3D support for your right-eye-left-eye shenanigans.

Christ, download a test video and try things out. Here's a YouTube video where "Original" res is 4K. Try playing that on your target platform.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Shaocaholica posted:

Does quicksync support video decode or is it just encode only? Right now I'm looking into solutions to decode/playback very large files without dropping frames. Stuff thats 3480x4320@24fps. I know display and transmission are another issue and for now we're going to scale the content back to 3480x2160 for 4K TVs over HDMI.

The real question for me is whether it supports applications I actually have or can have easy access to (Premiere Pro or After Effects CS6, Final Cut Pro X, SlySoft CloneDVD mobile, ffmpeg), not some obscure BS encoder or plugin that costs $10k.

Otherwise it's the software equivalent of a paper launch: A nice feature, but you're not likely to get any benefits from it.

I guess it depends on how accessible the feature is to compiler builders and whether they are taking advantage of it.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

flavor posted:

The real question for me is whether it supports applications I actually have or can have easy access to (Premiere Pro or After Effects CS6, Final Cut Pro X, SlySoft CloneDVD mobile, ffmpeg), not some obscure BS encoder or plugin that costs $10k.

Otherwise it's the software equivalent of a paper launch: A nice feature, but you're not likely to get any benefits from it.

I guess it depends on how accessible the feature is to compiler builders and whether they are taking advantage of it.

I think its available in ffdshow. I saw a check box for it in the latest build.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
New supercomputer in China--27-29 PFlops sustained in Linpack, 48k MICs, presumably a similar number of Xeons.

Definite #1 on next Top500 next month, and a huge win for MIC. For reference, the current #1 machine is Titan at Oak Ridge, with ~18k GK110s and AMD processors.

Professor Science fucked around with this message at 06:52 on May 30, 2013

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Professor Science posted:

New supercomputer in China--27-29 PFlops sustained in Linpack, 48k MICs, presumably a similar number of Xeons.

Definite #1 on next Top500 next month, and a huge win for MIC. For reference, the current #1 machine is Titan at Oak Ridge, with ~18k GK110s and AMD processors.

So is it using the Xeon Phi?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Alereon posted:

Microsoft Security Essentials is free and doesn't cause performance impact or system problems like other programs do.

I used to use MSE, but they've had bad catch rates in tests recently. I've been using Kaspersky, and I'm pretty drat happy with it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

KillHour posted:

I used to use MSE, but they've had bad catch rates in tests recently. I've been using Kaspersky, and I'm pretty drat happy with it.

NOD32 is my AV of choice, and uses almost no system resources. Catches pretty much everything my users throw at it.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
There is only acceptable AV products and terrible AV products

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

KillHour posted:

Does catch rate really matter to the personal power user? I could see it being a big factor for:

1)A computer illiterate friend or family member
2)A company

Why would a power home user(I'm assuming people here) care about an extra few percent for zero day poo poo?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I used to just run without any AV until I came across AVG and then MSE. Probably not the smartest thing but I still haven't gotten anything.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

For what it's worth: the best pay AV I have used was Nod32, though free I really like Avast!. It's worth trying in addition toAVG and MSE. Not using IE and not pirating poo poo though will take one a very long way.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 23, 2021

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Yudo posted:

For what it's worth: the best pay AV I have used was Nod32, though free I really like Avast!. It's worth trying in addition toAVG and MSE. Not using IE and not pirating poo poo though will take one a very long way.
My issue with NOD32 is the intentionally high false-positive rate (you see people posting in QCS periodically because NOD32 is stupid and says obfuscated JS is malicious), Avast! causes performance issues and a decent number of Haus threads. I think a key problem overall is that commercial security software vendors have a need to try to demonstrate their value to owners, which means being obtrusive and throwing false positives.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ANECDOTAL EVIDENCE

I've had to clean viruses/spyware/malware off at least one computer with every AV package on it you can think of. AVG, MSE, NOD32, Avast!, McAfee, Symantec...every single loving one.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

I've had to clean viruses/spyware/malware off at least one computer with every AV package on it you can think of. AVG, MSE, NOD32, Avast!, McAfee, Symantec...every single loving one.
"How does malware keep slowing down my computer? I have every antivirus program and they're all set to real-time scanning."

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
I almost recommended Kaspersky for our 100 user environment - it had great server side tools to push out the program, and uninstall our older not-Kaspersky AV silently. Plus the detection & performance rate was good. BUT if you performed a manual scan or if it found a virus, the popup title bar of the scanner was labelled "Luke Filewalker" :psyduck: crazy loving Russians that's not a corporate product!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

dud root posted:

I almost recommended Kaspersky for our 100 user environment - it had great server side tools to push out the program, and uninstall our older not-Kaspersky AV silently. Plus the detection & performance rate was good. BUT if you performed a manual scan or if it found a virus, the popup title bar of the scanner was labelled "Luke Filewalker" :psyduck: crazy loving Russians that's not a corporate product!

You didn't buy it based on that alone? I think it's hilarious.

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg

dud root posted:

Luke Filewalker is Avira though.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

Mr Chips posted:

So is it using the Xeon Phi?
yeah, MIC is Xeon Phi. (Larrabee -> MIC -> Xeon Phi, most confusing product evolution ever)

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

yeah, MIC is Xeon Phi. (Larrabee -> MIC -> Xeon Phi, most confusing product evolution ever)

I had to think about it for a second, because I initially read MIC as military industrial complex.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

I'm still waiting on the commonly accepted pronunciation to settle on fy or fee.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Microcenter has some nice discounts on Ivy Bridge...$170 for a 3570K, $230 for a 3770K, but if you buy a mobo with them, you can get a P8Z77-V for $130, a Gigabyte for $65 and an ASRock for $60.

Almost Haswell time :getin:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

movax posted:

Microcenter has some nice discounts on Ivy Bridge...$170 for a 3570K, $230 for a 3770K, but if you buy a mobo with them, you can get a P8Z77-V for $130, a Gigabyte for $65 and an ASRock for $60.

Wow I guess thats cheap for a 3770K. I guess 4770K is going to cost at least $100 more than that? I'm itching to build a new rig with a Haswell though :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

movax posted:

Shiiit, and i'm gonna be in a city with a Microcenter tomorrow. My C2Q Q9400 is still chugging along just fine though, it's hard for me to justify spending the money even though I have some free DDR3 lying around. I'm amazed that I've gotten almost five years out of a processor/mobo, recent graphics card and SSD upgrades notwithstanding.