Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

MeccaPrime posted:

I'm glad you did the Wrath of Sithis thing; I never did do that and was wondering about it. So it's basically a standard ghost fight, eh? (A ghost with a magic dagger, mind you, but a ghost nonetheless...) :ghost:

More like a ghost boss fight. Didn't you notice I was hanging back while the rest of the guild worked him over?

C-Euro posted:

Garlic is too tasty to give up in exchange for being a vampire.

Nah, Vicente's just super-allergic or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
I like the thought that becoming an immortal hunter of the night doesn't stop you from being annoyed by allergies. "I was going to drain a priest of his lifeblood in his sleep, but he owned cats and I started sneezing uncontrollably. He woke up and hit me with a book."

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

I say that orc by himself makes Oblivion's DB better then Skyrim's. After all, the Dark Mother loves him more then his own ever did.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
So does the garlic thing mean that vampires NPCs in general are invulnerable to damage, or is it only because he's an essential character? If the former, howcome the PC can die from normal damage if they're a vampire?

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!

Sundowner posted:

So does the garlic thing mean that vampires NPCs in general are invulnerable to damage, or is it only because he's an essential character? If the former, howcome the PC can die from normal damage if they're a vampire?

Lizard Wizard posted:

It's only Vicente. It means that he, and he alone, gets a debuff from garlic.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

NPC vampires are treated as if they have stage 4 vampirism, which grants a 20% resistance to normal weapons, so...not really?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Lizard Wizard posted:

I don't know if you're joking or not, but vampire mythology has always considered garlic as a means of warding off vampires :confused: I always thought that was why the bandits' tents in Vilivern (or whatever the first Ayleid ruin is called) have garlic hanging in front of them- to keep away vampires at night. I have no idea if that affects the player if they're a vampire though.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Vampires, in the Elder Scrolls series, have no particular weakness or aversion to garlic. It's just Vicente who's a special snowflake in this case. However it's a good special snowflake case which is something that could potentially kill him, instead of giving him purple eyes and making him awesome at EVERYTHING and a hero instead of a bad dude.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

C-Euro posted:

I don't know if you're joking or not, but vampire mythology has always considered garlic as a means of warding off vampires :confused: I always thought that was why the bandits' tents in Vilivern (or whatever the first Ayleid ruin is called) have garlic hanging in front of them- to keep away vampires at night. I have no idea if that affects the player if they're a vampire though.

Yup. Vicente's note even points out that the garlic thing is a widely-held superstition.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Oh jeez, I completely glazed over that part of the note. My mistake.

I still maintain my pro-garlic stance :colbert:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

C-Euro posted:

Oh jeez, I completely glazed over that part of the note. My mistake.

I still maintain my pro-garlic stance :colbert:

I would choose a horrible mortal life over never being able to enjoy garlic bread ever again. I don't care how strong being a vampire would make me.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

I would choose a horrible mortal life over never being able to enjoy garlic bread ever again.

But...you don't HAVE to. :eng99:

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Holy poo poo did none of you even read the thing?

e: okay not EVERYONE but drat that's an impressive streak of non-reading up there.

Mr. Baps fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 30, 2013

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
I knew about Vicente's reaction to garlic, I knew it was a bebuff but that's actually what spurred me on to asking about if they usually had invulnerability or not. It was a bit of a Tropes vs. Vampires thing.

Either way. :colbert: Yeah guys.. uh.. way to not, um. Way to not read, ya jerks. :colbert:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Sundowner posted:

Sterv's vacant stare absolutely kills me when it's positioned right.

I'm just going to hang on to this.

For reasons. :ninja:

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'm just going to hang on to this.

For reasons. :ninja:

Quiver in fear, all ye goons, under the gaze of the dread Sterv.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
What is Sterv name referencing? Every time I look into those eyes; I feel as if I am missing out on some horrible, horrible joke.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Fffffff-

EDIT: Yeah okay I walked into that one. Thanks a bundle, Lizard Wizard :)

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
Oh my god it's beautiful.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

GrizzlyCow posted:

What is Sterv name referencing? Every time I look into those eyes; I feel as if I am missing out on some horrible, horrible joke.

It's just a dumb name I like to use for video game characters, and I guess Lizard Wizard liked it when he was taking name suggestions v:shobon:v

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Walrus Pete posted:

It's just a dumb name I like to use for video game characters, and I guess Lizard Wizard liked it when he was taking name suggestions v:shobon:v

When I saw that name, I knew nothing else would be good enough for our hero.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

GrizzlyCow posted:

Say it slowly, extending on the er sound.

It is the best name for Sterv.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Rigged Death Trap posted:

It is the best name for Sterv.

And keep Roro's new avatar in mind when you say it out loud.. that's what I get from it.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

To me, it always sounded like someone with an accent trying to say Steve.
So essentially the Khajiit version of Steve.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Rigged Death Trap posted:

...great, now I'M missing the terrible joke. :psyduck:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Lizard Wizard posted:

...great, now I'M missing the terrible joke. :psyduck:

St-eeeeerrrrrrr-v

It sounds incredibly dumb and I'm a child for finding it funny.

Still fits sterv perfectly.

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams
So many Stervatars! Abandon all good avatars, all ye who enter here!

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Prythian posted:

So many Stervatars! Abandon all good avatars, all ye who enter here!

Lose a good one, gain a great one.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
I know DLC talk occured a while ago, but I have only one request: Enter the Shivering Isles at night. The way you enter the first time only happens once, and entering at night is still the thing I remember most about Oblivion as a whole.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

So this thread, mostly Prythian's avatar, has inspired a slight recurring event in my nightmares this week.

Cool.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

xanthan posted:

So this thread, mostly Prythian's avatar, has inspired a slight recurring event in my nightmares this week.

Cool.

I expect to hear all about it when I accept Vaermina's quest. :buddy:

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams

xanthan posted:

Cool.

I'd like to blame Lizard Wizard for this once again.

...:unsmigghh:

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
The glory of Stervatars aside, personally I don't think Vicente so much acquired an allergy to garlic, rather an allergy to superstition.

plastic genius
May 31, 2013

Buried alive posted:

I know DLC talk occured a while ago, but I have only one request: Enter the Shivering Isles at night. The way you enter the first time only happens once, and entering at night is still the thing I remember most about Oblivion as a whole.

I second this. If I remember correctly, there's a ton of vibrant colors that stand out beautifully against the night sky.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
My one and only memory of that DLC is of my brother playing it and he did enter at night and it was indeed very pretty.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Glad you finally got to the sanctuary, being a knight is for nerds. The shrouded armor is actually baller as gently caress in Oblivion too, whereas it was a little too "teenage vampire LARPer" in Skyrim for my tastes. Imagine how unsettling it would be to see that dark figure creeping towards you, knife in hand...and then when he gets close enough you see Sterv's idiot face sticking out :shepface:

Still, the DB is so awesome you're making me want to play Oblivion again myself. You should showcase the whole gang, though; they're all pretty funny or interesting in their own way, leaps and bounds beyond most Oblivion NPCs. The khajiit merchant who loathes the player was a particular favorite, and in his little magic-casting area is a wonderful skill book that all khajiit should carry with them.

What happened to your scamp pals, though? Can they not follow you into the sanctuary (which also blocks other followers)?

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Wolfsheim posted:

The shrouded armor is actually baller as gently caress in Oblivion too, whereas it was a little too "teenage vampire LARPer" in Skyrim for my tastes.

Hey, if it gives me X30 backstab damage with knives, I'll wear whatever the gently caress Skyrim wants me to.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

kalonZombie posted:

Hey, if it gives me X30 backstab damage with knives, I'll wear whatever the gently caress Skyrim wants me to.

Thats just the gloves though right?

TiamosLoren
Apr 20, 2013

Roro posted:

Fffffff-

EDIT: Yeah okay I walked into that one. Thanks a bundle, Lizard Wizard :)
This kind of thing is why I love reading comments and looking at avatars afterwards. This right here is just an absolute thing of beauty. :allears: Khajiit is loving this poo poo, and so am I!

Also, if the game was really throwing that many crabs at you, maybe it was trying to send a message to Sterv...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I am now hoping for the next person getting a Stervatar will get the text "Steeeeeeeeerv :haw:" underneath it.

• Locked thread