Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
When you use the brush on the record to remove dust, slowly move the brush outwards as it spins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
So I'm the only one who would try to dispel of all the static by running my hand very close, but not touching, over the vinyl record, absorbing all the static electricity like a god?

And I'm not being funny in the least bit when I say this.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I have a "Zerostat" gun I found with all my dad's record stuff when I took his stereo and it works well, but I think they're expensive now.

On one turntable I have a rubber mat with no static problems on the other it's some foam thing that likes to stick to records when they got charged, really annoying and I want to buy something different.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I bet just using a rubber mat would reduce the static by quite a lot.

von Braun posted:

When you use the brush on the record to remove dust, slowly move the brush outwards as it spins.
Not sure why I never thought of this before...

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I bet just using a rubber mat would reduce the static by quite a lot.

Lots of people seem to recommend cork. I have a rubber mat and I still get bad static, and after searching around it seems the only upgrade option for me is cork.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

david puddy posted:

Lots of people seem to recommend cork. I have a rubber mat and I still get bad static, and after searching around it seems the only upgrade option for me is cork.

This is starting to sound like audiophile mockery.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

david puddy posted:

It's probably because you're in the wrong hemisphere. It is true that in Australia turntables spin the other way?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CPL593H posted:

It's probably because you're in the wrong hemisphere. It is true that in Australia turntables spin the other way?
Yeah, it's just the normal way for us though.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

bowmore posted:

Yeah, it's just the normal way for us though.

I'm am American. Anything from Not-America is abnormal as far as I'm concerned.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CPL593H posted:

I'm am American. Anything from Not-America is abnormal as far as I'm concerned.
Like shorts.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

bowmore posted:

Like shorts.

Oh, plenty of Americans wear shorts but I scoff at them because I have to maintain my air of smug superiority.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Too nerdy? The price was right. :)

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

CPL593H posted:

No, but side A is on the bottom.

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

het posted:

No, but side A is on the bottom.

It's really more logical this way. The rear end is on the bottom and Boobs at the top.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

von Braun posted:

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Not sure why I never thought of this before...

If you don't already do this, haven't you just been getting lines of dust on every record?

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Fellow Porcupine Tree fans/vinyl collectors, Tonefloat have copies of the limited version of In Absentia for €40 that they found in their warehouse. Given these seem to go for around £100 on Discogs I would seize this opportunity. They're unnumbered copies if that is something that bothers you. They also have limited Lightbulb Sun, and regular editions of both of those as well as Fear of a Blank Planet and The Incident. I would go quick, they had copies of FOABP limited up for €80 the other day and they're now gone.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

nomapple posted:

Fellow Porcupine Tree fans/vinyl collectors, Tonefloat have copies of the limited version of In Absentia for €40 that they found in their warehouse. Given these seem to go for around £100 on Discogs I would seize this opportunity. They're unnumbered copies if that is something that bothers you. They also have limited Lightbulb Sun, and regular editions of both of those as well as Fear of a Blank Planet and The Incident. I would go quick, they had copies of FOABP limited up for €80 the other day and they're now gone.

drat, the marbled copies of Lightbulb Sun are much harder to come by than In Absentia. I managed to get a copy for $40 last year though :c00lbutt:

They also have Steven Wilson's Cover Versions 3-6 7"s for €10 each, they sell for up to $60 separately on eBay and Discogs.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

izationalizer posted:

This reminds me that I'd love to see a vinyl issue of that "accidentally avant-garde" Farrah Abraham album. Such a gloriously weird train wreck. As someone somewhere said, "It's almost as if she'd never heard a song before."

I just listened to this on Spotify for the first time. If I didn't look it up beforehand I would have just called it some weirdo house thing by people who dressed up like Die Antwoord, would have not known it wasn't MEANT to be like that.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Clamps McGraw posted:

I just listened to this on Spotify for the first time. If I didn't look it up beforehand I would have just called it some weirdo house thing by people who dressed up like Die Antwoord, would have not known it wasn't MEANT to be like that.

I'm making a "get deeper into art rock" playlist for a friend- just a lot of Swans, Godspeed You Black Emperor, Kate Bush, the Knife, and Scott Walker, among others. I think I might throw in some Farrah Abraham to see if he'll notice.

Also- you may not be able to get Ms. Abraham on vinyl, but you can get The Shaggs- if you're willing to spend about a hundo on the Philosophy of the World reissue from 1980.

Also also- if you don't already have Spotify Premium, you need to get in on that. It's arguably one of the best vinyl-related purchases I've made, if only because it minimizes the number of LPs I half-blindly buy based on singles/reviews/friends' advice that end up underwhelming me. It takes some of the fun out of the ritual of "dropping the needle for the first time" but it saves me a mint on "meh" albums that end up doing little more than taking up space. It's also gotten me to buy wax from artists that I probably wouldn't have otherwise.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Ron Burgundy posted:

If you don't already do this, haven't you just been getting lines of dust on every record?

Haha, well it's not like I have super dusty records or anything. The brush does pick up some stuff, but I haven't been able to get it all off at once before. Usually if it piles up a little bit, I end up picking up the record and blowing the dust off, or just gently sweep it with the brush. Now I know better.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I'm making a "get deeper into art rock" playlist for a friend- just a lot of Swans, Godspeed You Black Emperor, Kate Bush, the Knife, and Scott Walker, among others. I think I might throw in some Farrah Abraham to see if he'll notice.

Also- you may not be able to get Ms. Abraham on vinyl, but you can get The Shaggs- if you're willing to spend about a hundo on the Philosophy of the World reissue from 1980.

Also also- if you don't already have Spotify Premium, you need to get in on that. It's arguably one of the best vinyl-related purchases I've made, if only because it minimizes the number of LPs I half-blindly buy based on singles/reviews/friends' advice that end up underwhelming me. It takes some of the fun out of the ritual of "dropping the needle for the first time" but it saves me a mint on "meh" albums that end up doing little more than taking up space. It's also gotten me to buy wax from artists that I probably wouldn't have otherwise.

I would do terrible things for a copy of Philosophy of the World.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I would do terrible things for a copy of Philosophy of the World.

Nah, probably only spend about a hundo.

That's if you want a repress. Originals are basically impossible to find.

Edit: Or a bit less. There's a guy on ebay selling one for $80 in apparently really good shape. Dammit, now you've gone and gotten me interested in this. And I really can't afford it! GOOOOONS!

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I think I'm going to buy that :psyduck:

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
You guys should look up the re/search and key of z books (and the acid archives to a lesser degree) if you're interested in outsider/real people records.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Edit: Or a bit less. There's a guy on ebay selling one for $80 in apparently really good shape. Dammit, now you've gone and gotten me interested in this. And I really can't afford it! GOOOOONS!

I don't know whether to be happy or sad. Shipping to Australia is $50 and I don't exactly have cash to spare. Then again I WANT IT.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Nah, probably only spend about a hundo.

That's if you want a repress. Originals are basically impossible to find.

It goes without saying that you'd being the reissue. There probably aren't any originals in the wild. Most of them were destroyed immediately because the Wiggin sisters' dad dicked the sound engineer out of money.

edit: Also, gently caress. I've been spending way too much money lately, but that's the best price I've seen in it yet and I need to have this record.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

luncheon meat posted:

I don't know whether to be happy or sad. Shipping to Australia is $50 and I don't exactly have cash to spare. Then again I WANT IT.

Holy poo poo, I just checked the location. I could drive to this guy's house if I wanted to. All of a sudden I kinda really want that album now too. On the other hand, I really can't afford it.

The Read Menace
Apr 4, 2003

CPL593H posted:

It goes without saying that you'd being the reissue. There probably aren't any originals in the wild. Most of them were destroyed immediately because the Wiggin sisters' dad dicked the sound engineer out of money.

edit: Also, gently caress. I've been spending way too much money lately, but that's the best price I've seen in it yet and I need to have this record.

That Shaggs record is just plain loving weird. It's like all three girls are playing a different song all at once. I checked on Popsike, and there are a few originals that have been sold for $1,200+. Not for me, thank you. I'm saving up to buy the 30-second Boards of Canada single!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The Read Menace posted:

That Shaggs record is just plain loving weird. It's like all three girls are playing a different song all at once. I checked on Popsike, and there are a few originals that have been sold for $1,200+. Not for me, thank you. I'm saving up to buy the 30-second Boards of Canada single!

Oh I know. That's why I must have it. It's too loving weird. I'm surprised to know any of the originals are still floating around. But in any case that's way out of my price range.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Okay, so funny story...

You guys probably remember the Soul Temple fiasco from a few months back. If you don't, here's a summary. In October, Soul Temple put up RZA's Man w/ the Iron Fists soundtrack for pre-order. I ordered the deluxe package, and my friend ordered just the LP. There were a few emails about delays but I got my package around December. My friend and a lot of other people (some in this thread) didn't get anything and couldn't get an answer out of them. Unfortunately, the Paypal chargeback feature gives you a time allotment to initiate the process and for most people, it was too late.

In April, Soul Temple was releasing the new Ghostface Killah album. I chalked up the past cock-up to lovely management and tried to give them the benefit of the doubt by ordering it anyway. Weeks go by and emails come in with the same excuses as last time: staffing and pressing problems that they had already claimed to have fixed after the issues with their last release. I didn't want to lose out on my chargeback window only to get nothing later on, so I go through with it and get my money back overnight. In the interval between then and now, I went to my local shop and ordered a copy through them instead.

Fast forward to yesterday. My buddy gets his half-a-year late RZA album (of course, it's been hot and humid for the last few days here, which made it warp :downs: ) and I got a (second) copy of the GFK album that I had already gotten a refund for.

Yesterday was my friend's birthday so I guess he's getting a consolation prize :v:

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I still haven't gotten my MWTIF deluxe edition. I email them every Monday.

:smith:

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.
First records bought from eBay after a painful year-long hiatus (boring, dreary story):

By the way, in the off-chance that anyone is seeking out that Skip James LP (and why wouldn't you be?), now is the time to snag an original. There's a 180g fake bootleg (or so trusted sources have told me) all over eBay, and it probably has lovely sound quality. The originals used to go for $40-50, but I got mine for $15, presumably because the market is saturated with fakes. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.

Also, I hope I'm not over-breaking rule #6, but I have a pile of records listed on eBay. They are all hot stampers. I thought I might as well share, because I've seen others offer stuff for sale here instead of on SA Mart (is that OK as long as it's not chronic/excessive?). And you might be like me, who sometimes needs to be reminded of poo poo that I "forgot I needed." Some highlights:

Syd Barrett - Madcap Laughs (nice UK original)
Chrome - Half-Lip Machine Moves
Soft Boys - Underwater Moonlight
Kinks - We Are... and Lola...
Die Kreuzen - S/T (first pressing)
Fang - Landshark (warped, unfortunately)
A bunch more...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/yeoldeocelot/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jun 1, 2013

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Does anyone else have this on vinyl?

It seems like the worst sounding record I have. I got my copy for $10, I don't think its damaged but this sounds so flat and lifeless.

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
Mine sounds fine.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

What sort of things have people found inside second hand records they've picked up? I got David Byrne's "Music for The Knee Plays" today and inside it had some cuttings from the New York Times from 2007 called "Indie Rock's Patron Saint Inspires New Flock" with some stuff about doing a new performance of the album at Carnegie Hall. Sadly not from the time / about the original performances but still interesting to see. There was also a card typed up of the songs from the album, which I know people do, though I have zero idea why.. I'm sure people have found much better things than this though.

On another subject, I got another copy of "In A Beautiful Place Out In The Country" by BoC as the copy I have skips during the title track. The cover isn't in very good condition but I got it to listen to so I don't care. However I notice the record itself is noticeably thinner. Discogs has nothing about there being more than one sky blue coloured release, anyone know anything about that, why they would be different?

Also picked up another copy of "My Life in the Bush of Ghosts" as it is the original release with "Qu'ran" on it which I don't think I've ever heard. I love this album so looking forward to that.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Someone brought me a box of records they found and while the records themselves were trashed (which was a shame, because it was a good collection, there was even a mono Sgt. Pepper in there) inside the jackets were a bunch of vintage news paper clippings about the Rolling Stones. Several of them were just photos, but there was also one about the Altamont incident and another announcing the death of Brian Jones. Also another time I bought a copy of the first Cars album and when I got home I noticed there was a single in the jacket with it. That's about it for me.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

shmee posted:

What sort of things have people found inside second hand records they've picked up? I got David Byrne's "Music for The Knee Plays" today and inside it had some cuttings from the New York Times from 2007 called "Indie Rock's Patron Saint Inspires New Flock" with some stuff about doing a new performance of the album at Carnegie Hall. Sadly not from the time / about the original performances but still interesting to see. There was also a card typed up of the songs from the album, which I know people do, though I have zero idea why.. I'm sure people have found much better things than this though.

I got a used copy of Sonic Youth's Evol and it had a ticket in it from a show in 1992. That's the only thing I can think of.

shmee posted:

Also picked up another copy of "My Life in the Bush of Ghosts" as it is the original release with "Qu'ran" on it which I don't think I've ever heard. I love this album so looking forward to that.

I picked up a copy of this randomly from my local years ago and it had Qu'ran on it. I didn't realize that was anything special until I looked it up later. I know it isn't worth all that much but it's cool that I got this version.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I got a mono copy of the Lovin' Spoonful's Greatest Hits yesterday, and it said it was supposed to have the pictures of the band that are suitable for framing, but it didn't. But it's good to see they got there before the Beatles did. But who cares! When Summer in the City sounds like this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1_8909dNJ0), why would you go with anything else? Those drums sing.

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

Any of you buy Random Access Memories? I'm listening to it right now and am loving it. It's a nice double album gatefold with a big booklet and download code. The pressing sounds great, too. Mine says "Made in EU" so possibly there is an American release, too? gently caress, I love Daft Punk. :parrot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Looks to be unavailable in the states... guess not.