Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Is there a way to change the shortcut buttons for the 3DS Virtual Console?

While playing Oracle of Seasons, I noticed that Y also functioned as a Select button, but X doesn't function as a start button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Oh my god I forgot OoS made you play two awful minigames right before you go to the Temple of Seasons. :cripes:

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

miscellaneous14 posted:

Oh my god I forgot OoS made you play two awful minigames right before you go to the Temple of Seasons. :cripes:

I forgot how drat slow OoA is at the beginning. :saddowns:

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

miscellaneous14 posted:

Nothing in Seasons is worse than the Goron Dancing in Ages. :colbert: That wins the award for the worst forced minigame of all the Zelda franchise.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Saoshyant posted:

Wait, the flagship Mario game doesn't work with the Pro Controller? As in, the alternative controller they introduced right alongside the console to play any game a player wouldn't want to use the tablet with? That's incredibly shortsighted.

I think Nintendo initially viewed the Wii remote as the natural secondary controller, and the Pro Controller as a niche accessory for core gamers. That obviously doesn't make a lot of sense considering the Gamepad's layout, but hopefully this signals a shift towards emphasizing the Pro.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

ChibiSoma posted:

Nothing in Seasons is worse than the Goron Dancing in Ages. :colbert: That wins the award for the worst forced minigame of all the Zelda franchise.

There was a dancing minigame in Seasons too. I love the games but sometimes I just have to wonder...

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!
Is one of the Oracle games generally considered to be better than the other, or recommended to play first? I played Seasons when I was a lot younger, but remember nothing of it, and never played Ages.

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

I actually liked most of the minigames in both of the Oracles, even if that entire sequence in Ages was a bit unusual. Target Carts in particular still stands out in my memory as having been fun.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

Wind God Sety posted:

Is one of the Oracle games generally considered to be better than the other, or recommended to play first? I played Seasons when I was a lot younger, but remember nothing of it, and never played Ages.

There isn't one, except like what was said earlier; Seasons is more about combat, and Ages is more about puzzles. That said only play one at the time, because of the password system, which lets you unlock content for the other game.

tl;dr play one first, use the password for the other

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Reoxygenation posted:

There isn't one, except like what was said earlier; Seasons is more about combat, and Ages is more about puzzles. That said only play one at the time, because of the password system, which lets you unlock content for the other game.

tl;dr play one first, use the password for the other

Fun fact! If you beat game A, enter the secret into game B, then beat game B, you can enter that secret back into game A for some more bonus stuff. I know it changes the characters that appear on your file select thing, and there are a few callbacks in game as well.

I think it's the only way to get the Master Sword as well.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I'm unsure if its more appropriate to ask here, but I just received DKCR in the mail today. I wanted to register and add it to my Club Nintendo coins. I reached platinum a few days ago though, and have 350 coins as of now. Should I wait until the roll over, or is it safe to go ahead and add coins now even though I've reached platinum?

edit: I'll add that I barely bought the 3DS in April and I've never reached platinum before on Club Nintendo. This is a bit new to me is all.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 30, 2013

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Depends on how many games you play next year.

But yes, when you register it you get 40 coins I believe, so waiting to register it so you can save those coins for next year would probably work out best for ya.

I have tons of games with codes in them laying around. I just went through a bunch of old DS games to make sure I had Platinum for the end of next month.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Just wait, the new Club Nintendo year starts July 1st so entering all those coins now will just be a waste.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think Nintendo initially viewed the Wii remote as the natural secondary controller, and the Pro Controller as a niche accessory for core gamers. That obviously doesn't make a lot of sense considering the Gamepad's layout, but hopefully this signals a shift towards emphasizing the Pro.
In the case of NSMBU I think it was just a technical issue, as there are a few instances of tilt controls in the game. The patch will probably map the tilting to the Pro's shoulder buttons or something like that.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
Yo forget your Zelda games, Denpa Men 2 is the real gem of this week's eShop update.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.

ChibiSoma posted:

Not even the Subrosian dance/song?

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Still Fluxing posted:

Not even the Subrosian dance/song?

"You're terrible! Get out!"

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Unlike Goron Dancing, I can't do Subrosian dancing with my eyes closed.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

The T posted:

Depends on how many games you play next year.

But yes, when you register it you get 40 coins I believe, so waiting to register it so you can save those coins for next year would probably work out best for ya.

I have tons of games with codes in them laying around. I just went through a bunch of old DS games to make sure I had Platinum for the end of next month.

Although you do currently get 10 bonus coins for registering it, and I think that only lasts for 4 weeks after the game comes out or something like that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Do coins not carry over to the new year? Or is it just that your platinum status doesn't transfer and you guys are saving the coins since you already have platinum for this year?

VVVV Thought so, just wanted to be sure. Thanks!

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 30, 2013

Arctic Cress
Oct 23, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Do coins not carry over to the new year? Or is it just that your platinum status doesn't transfer and you guys are saving the coins since you already have platinum for this year?

The latter. The new year resets your platinum status, and saving the coins allows you to put them towards platinum for the new year.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
With as much blatant filler the Oracle games are lined with (serious did we really need two annoying stealth sections?), I really enjoy how much content is packed into pretty short games. You'll rarely go more than 5-10 minutes without getting something new to mess around with.

Also for some reason 10-year-old me thought the random witch appearances were the most terrifying thing ever despite there being literally no danger. :geno:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Nonsense posted:

I'm unsure if its more appropriate to ask here, but I just received DKCR in the mail today. I wanted to register and add it to my Club Nintendo coins. I reached platinum a few days ago though, and have 350 coins as of now. Should I wait until the roll over, or is it safe to go ahead and add coins now even though I've reached platinum?

edit: I'll add that I barely bought the 3DS in April and I've never reached platinum before on Club Nintendo. This is a bit new to me is all.

After I reach platinum I hold off on registering all games until after the Club Nintendo year rolls over July 1st. But I always seem to have at least half a dozen codes ready to enter July 1st. One year I even reached platinum on July 1st.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
Since we had some recent Club Nintendo coin discussion-

I have 500 some coins, and it says 180 are going to expire on June 31. If I buy something for 200 coins... will it use the "expiring" coins, or would I have to spend all 500 to make sure none expire?

Mobius
Sep 26, 2000

Brian Fellows posted:

Since we had some recent Club Nintendo coin discussion-

I have 500 some coins, and it says 180 are going to expire on June 31. If I buy something for 200 coins... will it use the "expiring" coins, or would I have to spend all 500 to make sure none expire?

It will use the expiring coins first.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I will to this day never understand why people continue to complain about how there are no SNES games on the 3DS when NES games have oddly distorted resolution more often than not.

I don't want SNES games looking muddled, I want them looking Pixel perfect unless they're abusing fake transparency like KDL3.

You do know if you hold start and/or select when starting a VC game, some will launch in pixel perfect format, sometimes with a nifty console render filling up the rest of the screen? And that some console renders have nifty effects, like 3D that makes it look like the game is actually sitting a bit back from face of the screen, or the power LED on the GameBoy dims as your 3DS power gets low?

It isn't really the best documented feature, but it is mentioned in the Manual menu if a game supports it.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I really wish we could get an Earthbound release VC date.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Onean posted:

You do know if you hold start and/or select when starting a VC game, some will launch in pixel perfect format, sometimes with a nifty console render filling up the rest of the screen? And that some console renders have nifty effects, like 3D that makes it look like the game is actually sitting a bit back from face of the screen, or the power LED on the GameBoy dims as your 3DS power gets low?

It isn't really the best documented feature, but it is mentioned in the Manual menu if a game supports it.

That only works for handheld games, not NES games, but it doesn't matter because the NES' resolution (256x240) maps perfectly to the 3DS' screen (400x240) anyway.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Flipnote 3D has a confirmed release date of July 3 in Japan. Maybe it'll get a simultaneous worldwide release (they did that for Swapnote, didn't they?), maybe they'll hold the international release back so they can make it available during the E3 presentation, who knows.

Also, Mutant Mudds Deluxe (Wii U eShop) will be out in NA on June 13.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Flipnote 3D has a confirmed release date of July 3 in Japan. Maybe it'll get a simultaneous worldwide release (they did that for Swapnote, didn't they?), maybe they'll hold the international release back so they can make it available during the E3 presentation, who knows.

E3 is June 10 not July 10 :)

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but if you outgrow your 3DS SD card can you easily transfer the contents to a bigger one?

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but if you outgrow your 3DS SD card can you easily transfer the contents to a bigger one?

Yup, you can just copy/paste the files on your computer.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Yes. I do appreciate that Nintendo uses standard cards and file systems (and so should you).

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Oh, good. I thought they might have some sort of copy protection scheme that prevented that from working.

You know, I have a Japanese 3DS, and given the region locking the eshop taking American credit cards is a godsend but some of the prices are nuts. Sixty bucks for Kid Icarus and fifty for Starfox, c'mon. There are also a number of games that are $70 and up but at least they are not launch titles

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Spacebump posted:

I really wish we could get an Earthbound release VC date.

On one hand, I keep getting paranoid that they are going to pretend they never said anything. On the other, there was the rumoured physical release someone found on amazon.co.uk, so I'd be grateful for just a mention of it either way on the Direct.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Handsome Ralph posted:

the rumoured physical release someone found on amazon.co.uk

Are you mistaking this with Super Luigi U, which is getting a standalone version alongside the download-only DLC? A VC game shouldn't be getting a physical release, especially one as niche as Earthbound.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

limaCAT posted:

E3 is June 10 not July 10 :)

HELL YEAH I CAN READ (I can't read)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

Are you mistaking this with Super Luigi U, which is getting a standalone version alongside the download-only DLC? A VC game shouldn't be getting a physical release, especially one as niche as Earthbound.

Maybe they'll reprint the strategy guide. :allears:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Saoshyant posted:

Fans make sure to make it seem like it isn't niche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's just one of those random inaccurate listings that goes up every so often, you see tons of 'em every year. Best case scenario, Amazon will start selling digital codes for eShop/VC stuff in the same manner as Gamestop, Best Buy, etc.