Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
it's a bit northerly, but I went to cinque terre the one time I visited italy (along with tuscany, florence, rome), and it was by far the highlight of my trip. would highly recommend if you get bored of big cities and just want to see some beautiful nature/small towns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Oh hey guys

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

No Wave posted:

I know people aren't as crazy about vizzle as they used to be but is lamb loin THE single best application of it for a lean meat? I say yes.

I think I'd take turkey or maybe even good pork loin over it, but not by much. Lamb shoulder, on the other hand, is probably the single best non-crazy/possibly-fake (are ostriches real?) cut of meat for it.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Croatoan posted:

Oh hey guys

Well... how'd it taste?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Since when is sous vizzle out of fashion? I'm obviously not keeping up with this poo poo.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

SubG posted:

Since when is sous vizzle out of fashion? I'm obviously not keeping up with this poo poo.

I dont know if it's so much out of fashion as it is status quo these days.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
More like it isn't the hot new thing.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Once you have the basics of it down, it's really, really simple to just use it for anything that you want, so I guess it just doesn't really come up much because it's more of a "OH HEY CHECK OUT THIS AWESOME SAUCE AND THESE AWESOME VEGETABLES I MADE ps I guess the meat's perfectly cooked again, like every other time"

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Speaking of which, it looks like the Nomiku is finally available for retail.

We had lots of reviews for the prototype, but they had lots of engineering issues and got delayed. Anyone know if the production model is any good?

edit: oh wait nevermind, still pre-order

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 02:26 on May 31, 2013

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

No loving way that's not a sex toy.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

360bux is still pretty steep. You can get a decommisioned PolyScience for that much.

The raw parts are less than 100bux and that was me buying them one at a time, a bulk order of parts should be hella cheaper. They should be able to get it down to $150 or so, they just need to get someone like a Breville or a Cuisinart to make it.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Once you have the basics of it down, it's really, really simple to just use it for anything that you want, so I guess it just doesn't really come up much because it's more of a "OH HEY CHECK OUT THIS AWESOME SAUCE AND THESE AWESOME VEGETABLES I MADE ps I guess the meat's perfectly cooked again, like every other time"
Yeah, my puddle machine is one of the most-used appliances in my kitchen, right behind pr0k's Mom. It has become totally mundane in some ways---like it's just the default way I do `everyday' slab-of-meat type things (steak, pork chops, that kind of thing), but I'm still routinely having `holy poo poo' moments when I think to do something in the puddle machine that I hadn't tried before.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

GrAviTy84 posted:

360bux is still pretty steep. You can get a decommisioned PolyScience for that much.

Huh, didn't know this was common and now I see a bunch of Polyscience refurbs on eBay for $325. Hmm...

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Croatoan posted:

Oh hey guys

No. No. Please, no.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Vegetable Melange posted:

No. No. Please, no.

Maybe it just tastes like dill. I can hope it tasted like dill, right?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Hello friends. Where do I eat delicious food on Maui and Oahu? I have never ever been to Hawaii and Hawkboy and I are going for our honeymoon. :3:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Croatoan posted:

Oh hey guys

"I don't always drink ranch dressing soda.... but when I do, I wear a thumbring." ~~ <themostinterestingtrailertrashintheworld>

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I made too much steak. Also my cast iron cannot yet handle a fried egg. Grumble.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

mindphlux posted:

"I don't always drink ranch dressing soda.... but when I do, I wear a thumbring." ~~ <themostinterestingtrailertrashintheworld>

Not my hand. Not my pic.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Wiggles, thanks for the tips.

MP, we don't want to drive too far with a toddler strapped in, but thanks. Maybe another trip (when we can walk more): I hear it's gorgeous.

Croat! Hello! Long time no see - then you come back with that.

SubG, you are truly master of the pr0k's mom jokes, and I honour you for it.

therattle fucked around with this message at 08:53 on May 31, 2013

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Hawkgirl posted:

Hello friends. Where do I eat delicious food on Maui and Oahu? I have never ever been to Hawaii and Hawkboy and I are going for our honeymoon. :3:

Eat every single musubi you come across.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I'm in Boston for a conference from June 10, but I'm free to roam around from June 14 for a week. Suggestions for places to go? And things to eat that aren't porcine legumes nor based on pastry cream.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Sjurygg posted:

I'm in Boston for a conference from June 10, but I'm free to roam around from June 14 for a week. Suggestions for places to go? And things to eat that aren't porcine legumes nor based on pastry cream.

Do you like movies with gladiators in them?
Have you ever been in a Turkish prison?

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

Sjurygg posted:

Take the ferry to Provincetown, eat seafood. Then eat Portuguese food.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Submitting an application for an awesome apartment that has an even more awesome roofdeck that allows for grilling. As someone who's spent 2 years in a tiny studio apartment with no outdoor space, this has me screaming like a little girl (on the inside of course). :woop:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Steve Yun posted:

Huh, didn't know this was common and now I see a bunch of Polyscience refurbs on eBay for $325. Hmm...
Definitely worth it. The polyscience is sturdy that it inspires confidence.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I think I'd take turkey or maybe even good pork loin over it, but not by much. Lamb shoulder, on the other hand, is probably the single best non-crazy/possibly-fake (are ostriches real?) cut of meat for it.
What temp/time do you use?

Sjurygg posted:

Boston food's still developing.

On the cheap Pizzeria Regina (the original North End location) is probably the one I'd recommend. Order the margherita well-done.

Higher end, Bergamot is quite good right now. The scallops especially.

There's a new restaurant Trade that's pretty good, too.

Thinking Cup coffee in Boston Common is really, really good.

Formaggio Kitchen is a store in Cambridge that has one of the best cheese selections I've ever seen - it is on par with cheese selections you'll see in Paris.

Food-wise I don't think there's anything in Boston that you couldn't find in NYC, but you can do okay.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 13:03 on May 31, 2013

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Cuddlebottom posted:

Take the ferry to Provincetown, eat seafood. Then eat Portuguese food.
What kind of seafood preparations are good there? I guess my issue w/ seafood is that it's so much better and so much cheaper at home. I made ten lobsters for some friends recently and I spent about three and a half hours cooking them, taking all the meat out of the shell, and making the sauce, but getting that plate in a restaurant would have cost at least fifty dollars PP.

Definitely need to cook more of it though.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 13:12 on May 31, 2013

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Hawkgirl posted:

Get saimin from the saimin cart. I know curbside soup in tje tropics may seem weird, but trust me.

Oh, and congratulations!

Mr. Wiggles fucked around with this message at 14:35 on May 31, 2013

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Hawkgirl posted:

Go to Liliha Bakery early on some morning for breakfast. It's been years since I was down in Honolulu, but I'm told their pancakes are still to die for and their bakery items are pretty decent (everyone raves about the cocoa puffs). Go find a curry shop (Coco's Ichibanya or other, whatever smells awesome when you walk in, there's tons down there). Stop at some tiny shack near the beach that has pineapple and seafood and feast (you'll probably find that up towards north shore).

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Get saimin from the saimin cart. I know curbside soup in tje tropics may seem weird, but trust me.

Oh, and congratulations!

Do this too.

And yeah, congratulations dude. If you end up hanging around Waikiki a lot, try to park somewhere like Ala Moana mall and take the little trollies around or walk. Driving is awful near any of the big touristy areas on Oahu.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Kenning posted:

One trend I really appreciate lately is the greater use of the coupe glass. Cocktail glasses are really sloshy, but coupe glasses are a lot easier to use while remaining at least as elegant as the traditional cone-shape.

My grandfather would have been 102 this year - he drank a martini (gin, vermouth, one olive) or a Manhattan (rye, sweet vermouth, bitters, one cherry) every day. He was particular about the glass, had to be one of these:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Sjurygg posted:

Hungry Mother Tasting Menu.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Oh, and congratulations!
Thanks! I had to look that up but "Hawaiian ramen" sounds good to me.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

And yeah, congratulations dude. If you end up hanging around Waikiki a lot, try to park somewhere like Ala Moana mall and take the little trollies around or walk. Driving is awful near any of the big touristy areas on Oahu.
Thanks! I'll be sure to do all that too. I've never been to Hawaii, but Hawkboy has and he likes driving way more than me anyhow, so I'm going to let him suffer through tourist congestion. I've basically let him schedule the entire itinerary (another thing he really enjoys that I don't really like) so hopefully he kept that in mind while planning.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

pr0k posted:

My grandfather would have been 102 this year - he drank a martini (gin, vermouth, one olive) or a Manhattan (rye, sweet vermouth, bitters, one cherry) every day. He was particular about the glass, had to be one of these:

Unless that's bigger than it looks in the picture, that looks just like a sherry glass.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

And since a cocktail should be ~3.5-4oz, that's a very appropriate size for one.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Vegetable Melange posted:

And since a cocktail should be ~3.5-4oz, that's a very appropriate size for one.

Cocktails are that small? I'm a terrible bartender then.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

pr0k posted:

You grandfather was a man of taste and refinement.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
lol

http://i.imgur.com/abG1XLv.gif

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Is that the same engine ReBoot was built on?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Is that the same engine ReBoot was built on?
I remember Reboot being such an awesome show but I am afraid to hunt it down and watch it again lest I ruin yet another part of my childhood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Yawgmoth posted:

I remember Reboot being such an awesome show but I am afraid to hunt it down and watch it again lest I ruin yet another part of my childhood.

That's how I felt about Mysterious Cities of Gold and Mr. Wizard. But then I went back and watched them as an adult and they were just as good.

:smugdog: