Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I wasn't sure if I needed another X3 in my life, but this one supports TrackIR! The omission of head-tracking support has always bummed me out with these games. I am so in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I've always wanted a Space Sim where I can use a large capital ship or something as a base out in space with a hangar bay where I can take off from it in smaller ships and re-dock as needed. Is this that game?

I'm pretty sure I own one of the X3s on Steam, but the scope of it and controls immediately turned me off. I'd love to get into it.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I'm a little confused by the nature of this product. It requires you to own TC (which I do), but it seems perfectly content to download without having TC actually installed. (This is all on Steam.) Should I also be downloading TC for this to work, or is it actually self contained?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Harlock posted:

I've always wanted a Space Sim where I can use a large capital ship or something as a base out in space with a hangar bay where I can take off from it in smaller ships and re-dock as needed. Is this that game?

I'm pretty sure I own one of the X3s on Steam, but the scope of it and controls immediately turned me off. I'd love to get into it.

This is indeed a thing you can do. A lot of capital ships and transports have hangar bays so you can dock a fighter inside, then just switch ships to said fighter and you will launch from the bay automatically, then you can do your stuff and re-dock at your leisure.

Wikipedia Brown posted:

I'm a little confused by the nature of this product. It requires you to own TC (which I do), but it seems perfectly content to download without having TC actually installed. (This is all on Steam.) Should I also be downloading TC for this to work, or is it actually self contained?

It requires you to own TC but you don't actually have to have it installed. You might as well though because AP shares most of it's files with TC, so say it you installed just AP, then went and installed TC it would only download another few hundred megs of files because a lot of it is already there.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

It requires you to own TC but you don't actually have to have it installed. You might as well though because AP shares most of it's files with TC, so say it you installed just AP, then went and installed TC it would only download another few hundred megs of files because a lot of it is already there.

Oh neat, I get it. It's kinda like Source games on Steam. Thanks.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

Wikipedia Brown posted:

I wasn't sure if I needed another X3 in my life, but this one supports TrackIR! The omission of head-tracking support has always bummed me out with these games. I am so in.

Don't get your hopes up too high, it works but there isn't a cockpit so basically you're just turning the camera and it ends up not being that great. I haven't tried it in a while though so maybe it has improved.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Harlock posted:

Yes! That's exactly what this game offers.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Foodahn posted:

Don't get your hopes up too high, it works but there isn't a cockpit so basically you're just turning the camera and it ends up not being that great. I haven't tried it in a while though so maybe it has improved.

Yeah, I had read that it was a pretty barebones implementation, but I appreciate the warning. I still feel very restricted by the traditional view controls, and I think I'll enjoy the greater freedom.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Foodahn posted:

There's a pretty good cockpit mod actually. I'd recommend grabbing HUD_info_2d, because while the cockpit looks cool, in some ships your energy levels / missile count / mini-map get a little too squished and they become hard to read.

I can never decide whether or not to use the cockpit view, though. While it's great for :qq: MY IMMERSION :qq: it does make dog fighting a little trickier as in some ships (most notably Argon ships) you lose a portion of visible space due to the ... "hood" of the ship (I guess you'd call it that).

e: This is what I'm talking about (god ImageShack is terrible). The hood of the ship is like ~20 pixels below your targeting reticule, so it's easy for an enemy to change directions slightly and for you to lose track of him. But this is a super minor complaint, really.

e2: Also, if you're not living in the 90s and actually have a 16:9 monitor, you see a tiny bit less of space.

kedo fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 31, 2013

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Bhodi posted:

Oh? I haven't gotten there yet. I assume you lose access to the shipyard in the Badlands if you go that route? Maybe that's what people meant. I'll correct that.

Just checked that, and managed to buy a couple of IBL forges from there, so that can't be it either. As far as I can see, the only penalty for doing it that way is having a Yaki fleet spawned at you.

Twenty Drunk Apes
Jun 17, 2012

The mane you say? Please note that this is a pity avatar because even bronies feel sorry for this poster so :effort:.
Is there any benefit to playing as a pirate/yaki and ambushing and pillaging transports?

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

Twenty Drunk Apes posted:

Is there any benefit to playing as a pirate/yaki and ambushing and pillaging transports?

You can get a lot of ships to bail that way but it's gonna be tough because races will start hating you, generally I leave Split and Teladi ships alone because of this.

On a related note I've set up a huge drug and booze complex in Savage Spur and I've been sitting next door in Paranid space and scanning everyone who leaves Savage Spur and making them drop ALL their cargo which doesn't seem to cause a noticeable rep hit.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I am just about to start Albion Prelude after playing X3:TC for a while before my old computer died. I was just wondering if there is a benefit to doing story missions, or if I should just go off and do my own thing right away.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

jadebullet posted:

So I am just about to start Albion Prelude after playing X3:TC for a while before my old computer died. I was just wondering if there is a benefit to doing story missions, or if I should just go off and do my own thing right away.

You can get some decent ships from doing the plot up to a certain point but that's really the only thing.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

jadebullet posted:

You get a M5 scout and then a M6 after maybe 3 exceedingly simple missions. After that there's a string of like 5 or 6 where you don't get much of anything except a few spacebux here and there.

Get the M6 and then go dick around. If you're in any of the war zones you'll want it... your starting M3 won't last long unless you avoid nearly every fight.

kedo fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 31, 2013

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Harlock posted:

My M1 has 60 docking slots, I've usually got around 40 heavy fighters, 10 lighter ones, and it can also dock a transport ship and an M6 to the docking clamps on the underside. Not that I ever really need the M6 since anything besides a capital ship that gets close to my carrier gets shredded by PD and the capital ships get shredded by heavy fighters (and Wraith missiles :black101:), but it's nice to have just in case.

Grab a cockpit mod and launching out of your carrier along with a wing of 20 other ships is awesome. Grab bounce too though or half of your ships will slam into the carrier trying to land.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 31, 2013

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

My M1 has 60 docking slots, I've usually got around 40 heavy fighters, 10 lighter ones, and it can also dock a transport ship and an M6 to the docking clamps on the underside. Not that I ever really need the M6 since anything besides a capital ship that gets close to my carrier gets shredded by PD and the capital ships get shredded by heavy fighters (and Wraith missiles :black101:), but it's nice to have just in case.

Grab a cockpit mod and launching out of your carrier along with a wing of 20 other ships is awesome. Grab bounce too though or half of your ships will slam into the carrier trying to land.

Should also be mentioned that you can get a super small carrier-type-deal (TM ship) super early in the game.

My current game is about... oh maybe 10 hours old, and I roll around with my Magnetar hauling my Nova + 3 other lovely fighters I capped with my Centaur providing security. There's nothing quite like seeing a big Xenon force on the edge of a sector, hopping into my fighter and scrambling my wings to intercept. IT IS SO MUCH FUN.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Nostrum posted:

There was an awesome script for TC, that I can't remember the name. Basically, it automated some fighters to setup your advanced satellite network. You would buy 4-5 M5s, and the script would send them out to buy satellites (when funds allowed), and drop them in configurable patterns in whatever system they entered. They were smart enough not to double-drop, and would avoid configurable areas. Any idea what it was called, and does it work with AP?

Universe explorers. http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=248033 What I tend to do is get one in a racing ship, (starburst, with max tunings) and another is something fairly quick, but with a hold, say, a mamba raider or if you are really lucky, a spitfyre, and send the fast one off to explore, and the other one off to make a sattelite network, (it helps if you buy as many satellites as possible as close to the start of the game as you can, as they don't replenish so well.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I looked into that script, and almost added it, but judging by the last few thread pages, there are a myriad of bugs that cause explorers to get wedged, go off and explore xenon sectors, explore already explored sectors over and over and generally bug out. Also, the download link is broken.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
I can play Terran Conflict perfectly, but Albion Prelude is completely unplayable. The game jerks and freezes for a few seconds whenever I turn my ship or look around. I updated my graphics card to play Terran Conflict better before getting Albion Prelude, maybe Albion hates nvidia cards or something. I've kept both games vanilla since I've had bad experience with mods in the past.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Office Thug posted:

I can play Terran Conflict perfectly, but Albion Prelude is completely unplayable. The game jerks and freezes for a few seconds whenever I turn my ship or look around. I updated my graphics card to play Terran Conflict better before getting Albion Prelude, maybe Albion hates nvidia cards or something. I've kept both games vanilla since I've had bad experience with mods in the past.

I've got an nVidia card, last time I played AP I had this issue. If I remember right one of the guns' hit effect for whatever reason makes everything chop like a motherfucker, and a bunch of AI ships have them. I'm sorry I can't really get more specific because it was over a year and a half ago :(

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
So I'm an idiot, I keep seeing people saying they remapped the right stick on the controller to roll, but I can't seem to do it? Can someone do a step-by-step?

It's whats keeping me from playing through it at the moment (stupid reason I know).

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying
Oh my. The stock market certainly is a feature.

e: So I didn't start as a Terran, but I want to raise relations with them because ATF/Terran ships look really cool so I need to get a hold of one of their shipyards. Is there a decent way to raise relations with them?

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 1, 2013

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Should I be worried if my home sectors appear to be in a state of total war? I made a fresh Humble Merchant start after a long hiatus, and there's a Paranid Military Odysseus and an accompanying entourage throwing a party in Home of Light, with nary a soul to stop them from burning the entire sector to the ground.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Can you still get the hilariously broken Aldrin ships in AP?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So the big thing that the improved races script does is create open warfare between races, correct? If so, I am going to be extremely happy with this script.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I need to will myself to try this out again. I'm doing the game an injustice by giving up after 30 mintues.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.
Looks like I need to reinstall this game again. I had a pretty awesome trading network going last time.

Giggily posted:

Oh my. The stock market certainly is a feature.

It was so easy to make mad spacebux with the stock market. Is it still like that?

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Troll Bridgington posted:

Looks like I need to reinstall this game again. I had a pretty awesome trading network going last time.

It was so easy to make mad spacebux with the stock market. Is it still like that?

It is! Mad easy, but also super boring. I'd use the stock market in conjunction with SETA and just leave the game running in the background while I did something else, occasionally checking back to see how my investments were doing. Once I made enough to get a good start on my trading and station empire, I never really looked at the stock market again.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

Katsuma posted:

It is! Mad easy, but also super boring. I'd use the stock market in conjunction with SETA and just leave the game running in the background while I did something else, occasionally checking back to see how my investments were doing. Once I made enough to get a good start on my trading and station empire, I never really looked at the stock market again.

I pretty much did the same.

Has there been any news about rebirth? I stopped keeping track because it seemed like vaporware, but this update has sparked my interest again.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Troll Bridgington posted:

I pretty much did the same.

Has there been any news about rebirth? I stopped keeping track because it seemed like vaporware, but this update has sparked my interest again.

They release a short video from time to time, like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6seoryOhxk

Dracneir
Oct 11, 2009

HAHA I TOOK AWAY YOUR SPAESS MAREENE AVATAR FAGGOT :qq: SOME MORE
XRM is turning out to be really frustrating in AP. I can't seem to go more than about 30 seconds without having one of my traders or factory supply ships getting attacked. I keep them confined to core sectors, too - Seizewell, Home of Light, etc - but the ship losses are just crazy given I've only got maybe 20-30 TS ships total. Pirates are freaking everywhere and there's just a constant flood from Pirate sectors. Has anyone else had this experience with XRM? I've tried setting up a couple TMs with fighters using Anarkis Defense System too, but I get attacked in too many places at once to be able to protect all my stuff at once.

I like the ship balance changes and the bigger pirate fleets etc, but man, it is just not worth it if I'm losing a ship every couple of minutes. Also, XRM seems to break the Community Configuration Menu so I can't really tweak any other scripts I'm using with it.

Tell
May 26, 2013
I try to start again with Albion Prelude because of this thread. Thanks for the nice mod-list. It's very hard to decide which of this 1000 scripts are worth it and work with the current version without such a list.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Mr. Crow posted:

So I'm an idiot, I keep seeing people saying they remapped the right stick on the controller to roll, but I can't seem to do it? Can someone do a step-by-step?
This is what you want. Second post, if that doesn't work, try the third.

Giggily posted:

e: So I didn't start as a Terran, but I want to raise relations with them because ATF/Terran ships look really cool so I need to get a hold of one of their shipyards. Is there a decent way to raise relations with them?

I mentioned this in the OP, but the main ways of doing it are from -4 to -1, shoot Argon M6 and M8s in war sectors or Xenon in Segaris. From -1 onwards, run missions and trade runs in Terran or Aldrin space in a fast ship (to avoid combat)

jadebullet posted:

So the big thing that the improved races script does is create open warfare between races, correct? If so, I am going to be extremely happy with this script.
Open warfare so ownership of contested sectors go back and forth, claim sectors and get tax revenue from them, and commission pre-equipped player ships from shipyards. There are some optional things like Kha'ak invasions and a reputation modification where going up with one race goes down with another (but no one ever enables it ever)

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 1, 2013

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
There is also some sort of economic thing built into Improved Races that is supposed to keep stations alive or rebuild them if they get destroyed or...something. I enabled it in my last game, thinking it would keep some of the harder to acquire weapons factories alive, but it basically just built literally a hundred or more factories in random sectors. Argon Sector M148 had basic food and energy factories up to Psi.

Don't enable it.

Also just started my first Poisoned Paranid attempt, it's pretty challenging, I don't know where to start.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying
e: RIP, this doesn't seem to work anymore for some reason.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 1, 2013

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

Universe Explorers are OK, but I prefer the Galaxy Explorer script. There's no bullshit with having to train up idiot pilots, it just works out of the box. By default it has to go buy satellites to deploy them, but there's a "Satellite spawn mod" in that thread you can apply, which opens up a config option to just charge your credit account and spawn a satellite instead. Satellites should not be difficult to find! :argh:

PS: the documentation is atrocious and that config option is a little hidden; the config menu is under "Additional ship commands", then you have to scroll "Buy range" below zero so it's set to "Spawn".

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Edit:
Nevermind, I'm an idiot. It's already in the OP.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Its true, the explorer pilots need a poke now and then, I have never actually got one to the magical level 25 where they discover unmarked or unlinked sectors, plus, the secondary satellite laying one needs to be refilled and sent on their merry way occasionally too. for me, it sort of adds to the game,
I do have the mod, and can mail it to whoever wants it, in fact, a have a large repository of mods that I cannot see around any-more, I guess its an idea to screencap a mod folder and people can pick and choose, or, I could dropbox them, plus a couple of jammed together mods I made like better race ranks & coloured shipnames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
drat man, I thought the centaur that was given to me was the poo poo. Till i got hit by some anti-corvette missile by a Terran Katana(?) on that very mission.

Am I going to be constantly outgunned?

• Locked thread