Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

allta posted:

Cask 2:

The location for this one is Charleston, SC
The verse associated is either 5 or 6 (see the list at the bottom)

Yeah, this one is pretty clearly Charleston. The pattern on the masks' forehead is the Charleston peninsula from the air, and the shape of the little mask is the shape of Fort Sumter from the air.

quote:

Not used/Not known verse:

Verse 2
At the place where jewels abound
Fifteen rows down to the ground
In the middle of twenty-one
From end to end
Only three stand watch
As the sound of friends
Fills the afternoon hours
Here is a sovereign people
Who build palaces to shelter
Their heads for a night!
Gnomes admire
Fays delight
The namesakes meeting
Near this site.

Verse 5
Lane Two twenty two
You'll see an arc of lights
Weight and roots extended
Together saved the site
Of granite walls
Wind swept halls
Citadel in the night
A wingless bird ascended
Born of ancient dreams of flight
Beneath the only standing member
Of a forest
To the south
White stone closest
At twelve paces
From the west side
Get permission
To dig out.

Verse 6
Of all the romance retold
Men of tales and tunes
Cruel and bold
Seen here
By eyes of old
Stand and listen to the birds
Hear the cool, clear song of water
Harken to the words:
Freedom at the birth of a century
Or May 1913
Edwin and Edwina named after him
Or on the eighth a scene
Where law defended
Between two arms extended
Below the bar that binds
Beside the long palm's shadow
Embedded in the sand
Waits the Fair remuneration
White house close at hand.

Verse 7
At stone wall's door
The air smells sweet
Not far away
High posts are three
Education and Justice
For all to see
Sounds from the sky
Near ace is high
Running north, but first across
In jewel's direction
Is an object
Of Twain's attention
Giant pole
Giant step
To the place
The casque is kept.

Almost any of these could be a Charleston verse. The "sovereign people built palaces to shelter their heads for a night" certainly describes the antebellum architecture of Charleston. "Citadel at night" could refer to The Citadel school in Charleston; "Long palm's shadow" could be anywhere in Charleston or Florida.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

GaryLeeLoveBuckets posted:

If I get caught, I'm just going to shout "It belongs in a museum!"

awesome line, great thread in general.

I'm seriously tempted to get these pictures blown up, I love the artwork as well.

Narlix
Jul 2, 2004

Adiabatic posted:

Charleston

Fort Sumter?

This seems likely epecially combined with verse 5 Citadel in the night , line and asking permission to dig. or maybe the old castle site, but Sumter is more likely. The map on the mask defently marks it as Charleston SC, the little mask next to the fairy does look like fort sumter but thats a pretty stand shape for forts. However the nose lines on the the little mask remind me of a sun dial and the large flag pole near the center of sumter acts like a sun dial some times.

Narlix fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 31, 2013

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Pepslexic posted:

Seems to be what makes these so tricky, so many interpretations. I'm getting a Queens vibe from this. For one, Staten Island would never be north unless your referring to Grant's Tomb. However the Broad Channel Island is north of Jamaica in queens, which would be the
"Cars abound
Although the sign
Nearby
Speaks of Indies natives"
Queens is also full of Greek Orthadox, with the only church being St. Demetrios south of the botanical gardens. I'd assume the grey arms would be part of the World's Fair exhibit left over, but kinda eh on that.

There was a Greek Orthodox church next to the World Trade Center that, predictably, was smashed when everything collapsed. The grey giant could be almost anything, though.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I don't know anything about Montreal but if it's a matter of French Canadians the gnomes and fays could refer to the Celtic background of Bretons. Is there a heavily Breton area of Montreal in or around those areas?

Quebec doesn't have a significant celtic heritage, at least outside of the Irish-Canadian group.

I'd also be curious to know if the tam-tam groups were around 30 years back, they seem like a more recent phenomenon to me.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I'm speculating that the gem in the New Orleans picture is a pearl, and that it's represented by the full moon in the clock. Are all of the gems birthstones?

i miss new wave
Aug 28, 2009

Caminare entre las piedras hasta que pase el temblor.
Just popping in to comment on possible SF connection for verse 7. I was trying to think about things Twain focused on when writing in SF and he did focus some of his writing on criticisms of the police there. So, perhaps that has some connection to the "object" of Twain's attention.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

Premeditated Toast posted:

I grew up on the Outer Banks, and I think they may in fact be referring to it STARTING at Roanoke Island:

"Verse 11
Pass two friends of octave (The towns of Manteo and Wanchese on the island)
In December
Ride the man of oz (Go over the Washington Baum Bridge)
To the land near the window
There's a road that leads to
Dark forest (Oceanside Drive to Nagshead Woods, our local "haunted forest" park. Oh and look, the armor in the picture is sporting the helmet of an old horse's head!)"

The rest would then seem to indicate specific directions inside the park perhaps (which has indeed changed a lot since the 80's). I don't live there anymore but my sister does, maybe I can get her to scope it out. It could be the Elizabethen Gardens, but the "Ride the Man of Oz" line makes me think otherwise.
That the first line could be referring to Octave Chanute, who was friends with and helped out the Wright brothers. That would start you at kill devil hills. If that is the case I think you'd be going across the Baum bridge the opposite way than you are saying here, right? If you take The Window in "the land near The Window" to mean the Lost Colony Amphitheater, then it could still be the Elizabethan gardens.

ETA: and this line “From this hallowed ground they walked away through the dark forest and into history.” is apparently on a plaque at the entrance of the gardens.

Oswald Kesselpot fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 31, 2013

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

The Monkey Man posted:

I'm speculating that the gem in the New Orleans picture is a pearl, and that it's represented by the full moon in the clock. Are all of the gems birthstones?

It's turquoise and it's the inset below the moon. And the hunt STARTS at Preservation Hall I'm sure of it. The lat and long I posted earlier are correct. We just need to figure out what the 19 stands for. As for parks there is Louis Armstrong park to the north and east on google maps.

https://plus.google.com/116787422002015701047/about?gl=us&hl=en

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 31, 2013

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

It's turquoise and it's the inset below the moon.

Whoops, didn't see that.

Did he specifically say that all of them were in the US? Because if he did, that would rule out Montreal.

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Look Ma! I caught a Fwaggle!
For SF: Running north but first across.

That line plus the door on the image makes me think of battery spencer, just on the north side of the Golden Gate Bridge. That plus the cannon table.

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES

SilvergunSuperman posted:

awesome line, great thread in general.

I'm seriously tempted to get these pictures blown up, I love the artwork as well.

Did you guys notice there is SOMETHING in the lions "forehead" ?

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Slayer1597 posted:

Did you guys notice there is SOMETHING in the lions "forehead" ?

The wiki mentioned it being another map but the link to the map was dead. Its not very distinct so I'm having trouble identifying it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Sizone posted:

If you're going to bury something in a park in San Fransisco then the Presidio is pretty much the way to go.

Not in 1980.

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES

Ixiggle posted:

The wiki mentioned it being another map but the link to the map was dead. Its not very distinct so I'm having trouble identifying it.

Also, I am having trouble trying to figure out where it might actually be buried according to that picture, the one with the big scepter was pretty clear where the casque was buried. this one, I dunno. I would honestly (if I didnt live in the frozen north anyways) go and dig where the star is on that picture. The one problem we are going to have here, is over-thinking, and goose chasing.(not that time is an issue)

edit: I also say, maybe look at the lions head as water bodies maybe?

Edit2: we need google earth 1980s

Edit3: Someone mentioned not knowing what "Mica" was on the first page, this may help.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mica
It is literally found almost everywhere I think.

Slayer1597 fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 31, 2013

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Verse #7 may go with San Francisco. It mentions 'Twain's attention' with 'Twain' capitalized (Mark Twain spent time in San Francisco), that may refer to Calaveras County from his story, 'The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County'. The 'giant pole' may refer to Coit Tower.

In the picture for San Francisco, the post that the rose sits on looks like the shape of something--the Coit Tower or a cannon, possibly referring to The Presidio...?

I was thinking maybe a lighthouse. But looking at pics online it doesn't quite seem to match.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

It's turquoise and it's the inset below the moon. And the hunt STARTS at Preservation Hall I'm sure of it. The lat and long I posted earlier are correct. We just need to figure out what the 19 stands for. As for parks there is Louis Armstrong park to the north and east on google maps.

https://plus.google.com/116787422002015701047/about?gl=us&hl=en

Well spank me silly: this is the lat and Long of Louis Armstrong park:
29.962708,-90.069019

Dreddlocks
Oct 23, 2012

reagan posted:

There was a Greek Orthodox church next to the World Trade Center that, predictably, was smashed when everything collapsed. The grey giant could be almost anything, though.

I'm probably totally off the mark but perhaps the New York verse could refer to somewhere around the Verrazano-Narrows bridge? It extends over a slender (narrow) path. The bridge is supported by two massive grey towers. Giovanni Verrazano explored the West Indies. If you look north you would see the Manhattan island? Maybe that's the isle of B :shrug:?

e: Maybe Fort Wadsworth?

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

I would say that the totem by the lion, if you look on its head, looks like water ways. Might be worth looking for something similar on the map for a similar waterway with a stretch of land, peninsula like.

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES

Mr.Trifecta posted:

I would say that the totem by the lion, if you look on its head, looks like water ways. Might be worth looking for something similar on the map for a similar waterway with a stretch of land, peninsula like.

They have already found the waterways that match the "mask"/"totem"

I am going to head to my local library later and see if they have this book.

Occams taser
Mar 7, 2013

What is Occam's Razor??????
Verse 6 is for the one in San Francisco.

(i'm in rhode island, so no chance of me going to look for it, but i digress)

Using the discovered casks as a baseline, it can be assumed that the image COULD include a hidden latitude and longitude for the city. Reading down the column of figures on the right of the dress, we see:

I
II
II

The finger of her right hand divides the boxes below into:

which results in the coordinates 122 and 37, which are coincidentally the coordinates for San Francisco.

Men of tales and tunes
Cruel and bold
Seen here
By eyes of old

This is a paraphrase of the introduction to Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson, which suggests that it is also in SF, as the RLS memorial is in portsmouth square, chinatown (doesn't the oriental looking woman and the dragon in the picture make sense now?).

This could be a description of the spot by the fountain.

Harken to the words:
Or May 1913

These lines recall Lincoln’s Emancipation Proclamation; its legislation to free slaves at the beginning
of a century, and its 50th anniversary celebration in 1913. Looking at the map of Portsmouth square, there's a "Clay st" and a man named Cassius Clay helped draft the proclamation, and assuming this is relative, it could be referencing Clay St.

The actor Edwin Booth (yes john wilkes booth's brother), whose daughter Edwina was named after him, is commemorated on a nearby plaque at 440 Bush St (the site of the old California Theater). INCIDENTALLY. there's also a plaque commemorating Robert Louis Stevenson (on the house where he lived.)

Or on the eighth a scene
Where law defended

If you follow Clay west, you come to Lafayette Tennis court (“a scene where law defended”) on Octavia (which means eighth).

Embedded in the sand

I'm assuming this is a literal hint as to where the cask is buried.

I'm assuming there's a white house nearby.

Did some quick googling to find most of this stuff out, but it makes a shitload of sense.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Dreddlocks posted:

I'm probably totally off the mark but perhaps the New York verse could refer to somewhere around the Verrazano-Narrows bridge? It extends over a slender (narrow) path. The bridge is supported by two massive grey towers. Giovanni Verrazano explored the West Indies. If you look north you would see the Manhattan island? Maybe that's the isle of B :shrug:?

e: Maybe Fort Wadsworth?

That is actually a really good guess, and it would fit the general location of the gem on the drawing if we consider the woman to be a rough outline of Manhattan

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES

Occams taser posted:

Using the discovered casks as a baseline, it can be assumed that the image COULD include a hidden latitude and longitude for the city. Reading down the column of figures on the right of the dress, we see:

I
II
II

The finger of her right hand divides the boxes below into:

which results in the coordinates 122 and 37, which are coincidentally the coordinates for San Francisco.

Men of tales and tunes
Cruel and bold
Seen here
By eyes of old

This is a paraphrase of the introduction to Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson, which suggests that it is also in SF, as the RLS memorial is in portsmouth square, chinatown (doesn't the oriental looking woman and the dragon in the picture make sense now?).

This could be a description of the spot by the fountain.

Harken to the words:
Or May 1913

These lines recall Lincoln’s Emancipation Proclamation; its legislation to free slaves at the beginning
of a century, and its 50th anniversary celebration in 1913. Looking at the map of Portsmouth square, there's a "Clay st" and a man named Cassius Clay helped draft the proclamation, and assuming this is relative, it could be referencing Clay St.

The actor Edwin Booth (yes john wilkes booth's brother), whose daughter Edwina was named after him, is commemorated on a nearby plaque at 440 Bush St (the site of the old California Theater). INCIDENTALLY. there's also a plaque commemorating Robert Louis Stevenson (on the house where he lived.)

Or on the eighth a scene
Where law defended

If you follow Clay west, you come to Lafayette Tennis court (“a scene where law defended”) on Octavia (which means eighth).

Embedded in the sand

I'm assuming this is a literal hint as to where the cask is buried.

Did some quick googling to find most of this stuff out, but it makes a shitload of sense.

Congratulations on finding your casket? sounds like you have worked out all the details here, all we need now is for someone to put on their Indiana Jones hat and go dig up some public land!

Also, keep this in mind while you are digging/dealing with law enforcement. Shout, "THIS BELONGS IN A MUSEUM!" they will immediately cease all law enforcement, and assist you in your efforts, or you know, take your treasure and give it to the Nazis.

Tesa Fox
Sep 26, 2009
Hi Just thought I'd drop a note saying that I full support this but will probably not be able to help much sadly. I will say that I'm more inclined to think the Montreal / St. Louis in in St. Louis as otherwise it would be the only one outside of the US. not much reason I know, just my gut feeling on it.

Also I'm going to see if I can find out if my family has any 1980's pictures of these areas though I doubt since we weren't traveling a lot then. Might be a good idea for anyone with family in those areas in or with families traveling in the 80's to see if we can get some old photo's of those areas.

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Occams taser posted:

Wow! So then GH on her collar becomes Gough Street, which borders lafayette park to the east.

shoemonkey
Jan 5, 2007

living the dream
Edit: This goes with what occam's taser said above.

From the wiki mentioned in the OP I found this.

http://www.lemontiger.co.uk/images/misc/thesecret/sftrail.pdf

This guy seems to think verse 6 goes with San Francisco, and has a very well thought out explanation pointing to some tennis courts by Lafayette park. I might go check out that park and look around.

That being said, I think it could be verse 7 instead

High posts are three
Education and Justice
For all to see

This part kind of sounds like Civic Center, which has City, State and Federal buildings all next to each other, as well as a law school and a court house.

Is an object
Of Twain's attention
Giant pole
Giant step

Could refer to the Dewey statue in union park, which commemorates the Spanish-American War. Mark Twain was pretty pissed about the Spanish American war, so that could be the connection. There's also a Mark Twain hotel nearby.

shoemonkey fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 31, 2013

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

It's pretty funny that might be solved by a dude named "Occam's taser", haha. Good job.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
I'm not American and I know nothing about these cities but this is the coolest thread ever and I'm rooting for you. I wish I could help somehow!

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009
Here are all the numbers I can find in the Houston picture so far. 30, -95 are really close to the Houston area so I think we're on the right track. Clicking straight on McGovern Lake at http://itouchmap.com/latlong.html doesn't really help with any of the other numbers.

Looking at this aerial view of McGovern Lake, I was trying to find a leaf that looked similar to it for confirmation. Too bad pretty much every leaf looks similar to it. The Pioneer's Monument is at the right hand side of the picture.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

Rondette posted:

On this one, the pillars (?) on the Boston image are bugging me, they look like they should spell something out in a code, I wondered whether it was Maritime Signal flags, there are some letters that kind of match, but there is nothing with triangles involved. There is also that 4 on her cuff.

I love this sort of poo poo. The pictures are ace too, although some of them are pretty creepy.

It also looks to me like there is a 2 under that 4.

I'm interested in this one because I'm going to Boston this weekend, and I have an idea. Granted I've never been there before and don't know much about the city. Just going from the Verse, if the MIT Green building is the green tower of lights you could stand facing the water with the steps of Morss hall at your back. Morss Hall's address is 142, but I'm only confident that there are a 4 and a 2 in the picture, and that's really the only relation I could find to it. On second though there are balls on top of the Green Building, I'm having trouble finding out when they were put on the building.

Street view of the steps to Morss Hall https://maps.google.com/maps?q=mit+green+building&oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF-8&ei=EM2oUcTJOrXA4API-4H4Bw&ved=0CAsQ_AUoAg

Picture of Green Building Looking kind of tower-ish with balls on top.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Jesus Christ. I've had a copy of this book since it came out, and if you bastards actually manage to find one of these long-forgotten casks it'll be amazing. (I figured they'd all been dug up decades ago.)

Occams taser
Mar 7, 2013

What is Occam's Razor??????
Haha, actually i should have posted that those ideas came from that lemontiger site, not me! I just realized no one said anything about that site, so I thought i'd post it, all the while forgetting to cite them.

That being said, lemontiger's reasonings are off the chart, research wise.

http://www.lemontiger.co.uk/images/misc/thesecret/

This contains all cask theories.

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

quote:

Take twice as many east steps as the hour
Or more
From the middle of one branch
Of the v
Look down
And see simple roots
In rhapsodic man's soil
Or gaze north
Toward the isle of B.

"the v" could mean the v train

I don't know what "isle of the B" would mean though, since the B goes from brooklyn to the bronx; and the Bronx is not an island.

edit: maybe not since the train didn't exist when the book was written

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Sham I Am posted:

That the first line could be referring to Octave Chanute, who was friends with and helped out the Wright brothers. That would start you at kill devil hills. If that is the case I think you'd be going across the Baum bridge the opposite way than you are saying here, right? If you take The Window in "the land near The Window" to mean the Lost Colony Amphitheater, then it could still be the Elizabethan gardens.

ETA: and this line “From this hallowed ground they walked away through the dark forest and into history.” is apparently on a plaque at the entrance of the gardens.

The line about passing the two friends of octave in December probably refers to taking Highway 12 to the Baum bridge, so yeah, I imagine Elizabethan Gardens is right.

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

It's all fun and games until a bunch of goons end up in Lafayette park recreating the end of "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World."

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
You just know that if a book in this genre came out today that all of them would've been found quickly by people working together on the internet.

And that the guy burying stuff would be accused of planting a bomb or something.

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

The Monkey Man posted:

You just know that if a book in this genre came out today that all of them would've been found quickly by people working together on the internet.

And that the guy burying stuff would be accused of planting a bomb or something.

http://news.msn.com/us/man-claims-hes-hidden-treasure-chest-and-clues-to-find-it

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Occams taser posted:

Haha, actually i should have posted that those ideas came from that lemontiger site, not me! I just realized no one said anything about that site, so I thought i'd post it, all the while forgetting to cite them.

That being said, lemontiger's reasonings are off the chart, research wise.

http://www.lemontiger.co.uk/images/misc/thesecret/

This contains all cask theories.

Wow he's done most of the heavy lifting! I feel gratified my New Orleans stuff agrees with his.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Re: SF, that tennis court has got to be the place, there's a huge white building there. However, unless the dude buried the cask 6 feet down in the sand, I doubt it's still there. I mean, 30 years in sand doesn't sound promising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

auPHE
Feb 28, 2012

Now what in the hell is going on in here.
^^^ e;fb

Occams taser posted:

Glancing at the street view, there's a large white residential building located practically in the park, along Gough St. It certainly looks like it's been around at least since the eighties...