Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

QPZIL posted:

I dig the new Deafheaven, but I wouldn't really call it black metal at all. Blast beats and tremelo-picked guitars don't always equal black metal. If anything, I'd call it sort of a post-screamo (i.e. early 90s screamo: Pg.99, City of Caterpillar, Funeral Diner, etc.). It has more in common with that stuff than it does with black metal.

This was my reaction as well. Though it definitely has its black metal elements, for the most part I think it owes its sound to 90s post-hardcore a la Texas Is The Reason or Braid more than it does to traditional black metal or shoegaze. I thought it was appropriate that they covered Mogwai's "Punk Rock/Cody" on their split with Bosse-De-Nage since they use so many of those pretty and very heavy descending progressions that Mogwai uses. They're a funny band, though, because the relentless shrieking will alienate non-black-metal fans while their very non-kvltishness will drive away the fanatically orthodox black metal fans.

On another note, Aosoth was awesome at MDF. Unfortunately it seems that was their only US date but definitely go see them if you get a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Gamma Nerd posted:

Being the arbiter of taste like this is really arrogant.

In all fairness this cuts both ways. Insisting that something is awesome is the same as insisting it sucks.

But this is what makes metal awesome, trash talking and all of that. People get a little too sensitive when something they like is poo poo on and that ain't metal.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Not really feeling that Summoning album. Some of the horns sound like straight up MIDIs. I haven't really listened to Summoning before, so if that's part of their schtick then whatever.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Here's a great, rough black metal demo that is mostly conventional with slower blast beats and tremolo riffs as well as some slower sections. The structure is fairly standard, and it alternates speeds, but it seems to fit perfectly into a demo of this length.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIsYKnaxPDo

Monkeytime posted:

On another note, Aosoth was awesome at MDF. Unfortunately it seems that was their only US date but definitely go see them if you get a chance.

Aosoth was good, I liked Antaeus a bit better though. Vinterland were great even though their sound was completely hosed up, I love the band enough to follow it despite missing half of the guitars due to a blown amp. It seems like MDF can never have a Swedish black metal band play without issue (i.e. Unanimated cancelling last year).

Vinterland are one of the best melodic black metal bands, I love this stuff. It's a shame they'll never play the US again and only two songs sounded right, but I enjoyed it anyway. Had a nice talk with the guys too, they were just hanging out watching all the heavy metal bands on Sunday - very nice guys! They said they might record some new Vinterland material but if they did play live again, it would likely not be in Sweden or America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLw4sXFK5Fo

Morbid Florist posted:

In all fairness this cuts both ways. Insisting that something is awesome is the same as insisting it sucks.

But this is what makes metal awesome, trash talking and all of that. People get a little too sensitive when something they like is poo poo on and that ain't metal.

The best and easiest target for making fun of pathetic stuff is depressive black metal. The bedroom black metal scene is full of wonderful treasures like clowns and sub-labels that only release raw black metal/noise on floppy disk that are limited to 20 copies.

Here's your daily dose of good basement black metal. First takes, hungover drummer, bassist playing guitar and singing, both of them forgetting parts but working it out. It's the essence of metal - a couple dudes rocking the gently caress out in a rehearsal room/basement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8CVSgV9KBQ

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Wow. Floppy disks are grim, now. I guess they're black at least...

It was worth clicking that link for this gem: "Do not mourning if natural take your property away from you" :black101:

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Morbid Florist posted:

It was worth clicking that link for this gem: "Do not mourning if natural take your property away from you" :black101:

This reminds me that the biggest disappointment of MDF was finding out that the frontman of Abigail doesn't speak in Abigail lyrics :(

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
you know whats good?

its this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwUQuHppHYA

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Zodijackylite posted:

Aosoth was good, I liked Antaeus a bit better though.

Vinterland are one of the best melodic black metal bands, I love this stuff.

Looks like I will have to check out Vinterland. Also, what anateus albums would you recommend? Probably seeing them live at wolf throne festival in November.

Nova Bizzare
Jun 2, 2006

...and it made me smile.

Do you know of anything that sounds exactly like Pest (Ger) but is easier to get ahold of? I've been playing that youtube of Wikinger I think you posted all week.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Morbid Florist posted:

Haha, I'm not insisting Deafheaven is awesome. I don't like them near as much as some atmo acts like Wolves and Krallice (you might hate those but whatever :v:). Taste is personal, that's why I object to people saying that things are objectively poo poo.

That's one of the things that I love about the music community in general, is that people actually care, and it's inspiring to see someone defend what they like.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Hey you're right.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

nomapple posted:

Looks like I will have to check out Vinterland. Also, what anateus albums would you recommend? Probably seeing them live at wolf throne festival in November.

In my opinion, Blood Libels is probably the strongest Antaeus album. It's an extremely punishing but extremely rewarding album.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

deadking posted:

In my opinion, Blood Libels is probably the strongest Antaeus album. It's an extremely punishing but extremely rewarding album.

Seconding this. Blood Libels is an excellent album and it's all-out :black101:

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

Killsion posted:

You just completely contradicted yourself. You say outside influences are perfectly fine... except ones you dislike.

You consider shoegaze to be stupid bullshit. I and many others strongly disagree. Shoegaze does have musical similarities to black metal, though utterly unintentional, and they do compliment each other quite well for the seasoned listener.

Shoegaze has pretty much no musical similarites to Black Metal. It has aesthetic similarities. Also, you called yourself a "seasoned listener". I'll take my risking looking like an rear end in a top hat for being "closed minded" and "elitist" (quality over quantity/bullshit) over your weepy ego drama every day of the week and twice on sunday.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Can you put together a list of what kind of music is okay to like RHTITE?

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

RHTITE posted:

Shoegaze has pretty much no musical similarites to Black Metal. It has aesthetic similarities. Also, you called yourself a "seasoned listener". I'll take my risking looking like an rear end in a top hat for being "closed minded" and "elitist" (quality over quantity/bullshit) over your weepy ego drama every day of the week and twice on sunday.

How do you keep friends, dude?

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

nerve posted:

Can you put together a list of what kind of music is okay to like RHTITE?

Yes.

WASDF posted:

How do you keep friends, dude?

No mosh no core no fun no trends no friends.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

RHTITE posted:

They can absolutely have musical similarities. Both genres often use a great deal of reverb, as well as a focus on tremelo picked chords. The airy and ethereal vocals are similar as well to certain forms of black metal, not by the specific sound, but certainly in their usage. Notice though I said these are unintentional similarities. Obviously both of these genres had no direct influence on the other, but they use the same methods in their music, just differently.

Why you are proud of being closed minded is beyond me however. There are genres besides metal. It is alright to listen to them. Some of your favorite bands probably even listen to techno.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

Killsion posted:

They can absolutely have musical similarities. Both genres often use a great deal of reverb, as well as a focus on tremelo picked chords. The airy and ethereal vocals are similar as well to certain forms of black metal, not by the specific sound, but certainly in their usage. Notice though I said these are unintentional similarities. Obviously both of these genres had no direct influence on the other, but they use the same methods in their music, just differently.

Why you are proud of being closed minded is beyond me however. There are genres besides metal. It is alright to listen to them. Some of your favorite bands probably even listen to techno.

Look at you making lots of assumptions and jumping to a lot of conclusions. Don't worry, though, you've made sure that everyone knows what a caveman I am and how evolved you are.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Despite whatever similarities you note between shoegaze and black metal, a true black metaller like Akhenaten never gazes at his shoes combat boots no matter how sad he looks in every picture ever.

Who-gaze? No, I gaze only into the depths of your avatar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=briNdRvPydE

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Zodijackylite posted:

Despite whatever similarities you note between shoegaze and black metal, a true black metaller like Akhenaten never gazes at his shoes combat boots no matter how sad he looks in every picture ever.

Who-gaze? No, I gaze only into the depths of your avatar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=briNdRvPydE

Just listen to that guitar and drumming, this is just punk, not metal. :goonsay:

Man, I haven't listened to Judas Iscariot since high school. Solid band though.

satan is my oppa
Feb 18, 2012
I loved Sunbather at first, now I think it's... fine. I don't want to listen to it anymore. It's for metalheads the same way that a frappuccino is for coffee lovers. Don't get me wrong, I love me some shoegazey-rear end bullshit, but I'd rather listen to other things for the thousandth time than Deafheaven for the third.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJrBklCrHz0

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Nova Bizzare posted:

Do you know of anything that sounds exactly like Pest (Ger) but is easier to get ahold of? I've been playing that youtube of Wikinger I think you posted all week.

Craft and Armagedda might be similar bands. Pest doesn't really do anything special but they do it very well.

Unlord is a bit different but still kinda in the same vein.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Killsion posted:

However like Fenriz said they listen to all sorts of poo poo, including techno, but they wouldn't ever let it seep into Darkthrone's music because it doesn't belong there.

Lemmy writes all sorts of music but he'd never release it as Motorhead because their fans expect a certain output, so he'll release it solo.

Nobody wants to sit around a trailer camp listening to anthrax, but part of black metal's appeal is the caveman gently caress everything else ethos.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Morbid Florist posted:

...a trailer camp...

Over here in Amerikkka we call them, trailer parks not trailer camps! :patriot:

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

One does not take liberties with possibly the best quote from a metal related film in history. Especially one that shits on anthrax

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
But it's not up to you or Fenriz or anyone else to decide what does or doesn't belong in any given genre.

If someone wants to make black metal with shoegaze and post rock influences they can and if you don't like it you don't have to listen to it. It doesn't have any effect on you at all.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Fenriz and I aren't allowed to an opinion and talk about it? Grow up.

Those of us saying it sucks don't have any effect on anyone else in here either.

Strange Horizon
Sep 21, 2005

It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
It's interesting how people see black metal so differently.

I've never been much into the Marduk or Dark Funeral kind of thing. My favourite black metal songs have always been the ones where I find something beautiful behind the presented front of grimness - songs like Transilvanian Hunger, The Claws of Time, Enter the Eternal Fire, My Journey to the Stars, Withstand the Fall of Time, Mother North...

That said, as someone that enjoys shoegaze in its own right, I do agree that a lot of the way shoegaze is being injected into black metal is fairly uninspiring. However, like I'm sure people have said before, if there's no innovation we'll just be listening to nostalgic aping of A Blaze in the Northern Sky forever.

Anyway, people should post more like Taken Away by the Torn Black Shroud. :black101:

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
In other news, new Christicide isn't as good as their first LP, but it'll still scratch your orthodox itch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnuOIgr0Yko

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Windir is a perfect example of a band bringing in another "influence" that, while a touch lame, doesn't cross a line. Electronica and black metal is a thin line to walk but I think they kept the questionable elements minimal enough that they still loving rule.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiYxiK5m-KY

If someone thinks it sucks and I suck and my taste sucks, good for them. I'll tell them they suck and their taste sucks and we all have some fun. I'm not going to call them an "unseasoned listener" because there's no such thing.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Morbid Florist posted:

Windir is a perfect example of a band bringing in another "influence" that, while a touch lame, doesn't cross a line. Electronica and black metal is a thin line to walk but I think they kept the questionable elements minimal enough that they still loving rule.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiYxiK5m-KY

If someone thinks it sucks and I suck and my taste sucks, good for them. I'll tell them they suck and their taste sucks and we all have some fun. I'm not going to call them an "unseasoned listener" because there's no such thing.

Reminds me of the first time I heard this while looking into Windir a long time ago. Still owns.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPFRRYHUgi0

My seasoned listener comment is more an indication of being able to appreciate multiple forms of music. You not only hate "blackgaze", you also outright hate shoegaze, and probably dream-pop along with it. There is a lot of good stuff in there you're missing out on for reasons simply unknown to me.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

I appreciate other forms of music, but none of those are on the list. If you can't grasp why some people hate some kinds of music, this conversation is long past over.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Listen to Countess and shut up.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Weaponized Cum posted:

Listen to Countess and shut up.

Never saw the appeal. Like some weird cross of kvlt kiddie stuff and traditional metal. Rather listen to Clandestine Blaze or something, and that says a lot.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Rion.exe posted:

Anyway, people should post more like Taken Away by the Torn Black Shroud. :black101:

I need more things like this. I have a few Nehemah albums but they just don't hit me like that particular track.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I like everything but rap and country.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
I'm enjoying the increased activity in the thread, even if it is a lame argument over whether "blackgaze" is good or not. (I loving hate that term, but I like a lot of the music associated with it, like I said, Deafheaven converted me with Sunbather.

Just out of interest, those who don't like Deafheaven/bands that sound like that, where do you draw the line? Do you guys enjoy WITTR/bands that sound like that? Although WITTR are a lot more "black metal" than Deafheaven, they aren't exactly worlds apart. I'm just curious as to whether you only like the more orthodox stuff, or whether you just don't like the least orthodox stuff out there. Has there been any good orthodox stuff yet this year? Horna was OK, Sad did nothing for me :(

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

nomapple posted:

I'm enjoying the increased activity in the thread, even if it is a lame argument over whether "blackgaze" is good or not. (I loving hate that term, but I like a lot of the music associated with it, like I said, Deafheaven converted me with Sunbather.

Just out of interest, those who don't like Deafheaven/bands that sound like that, where do you draw the line? Do you guys enjoy WITTR/bands that sound like that? Although WITTR are a lot more "black metal" than Deafheaven, they aren't exactly worlds apart. I'm just curious as to whether you only like the more orthodox stuff, or whether you just don't like the least orthodox stuff out there. Has there been any good orthodox stuff yet this year? Horna was OK, Sad did nothing for me :(

I dislike the term "blackgaze" myself, thus why I usually leave it in quotations.

As for orthodox, when I think orthodox black metal I think your theistic Satanist, anti-cosmic chaos Gnosticism stuff etc. Deathspell Omega, Katharsis, Dodsengel, Fides Inversa, that stuff, of which I absolutely love and I highly recommend.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtLcX8Oc9EQ

I don't particularly listen to stuff like Horna too much anymore unfortunately. I think there is a new Clandestine Blaze album though, may catch your fancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Killsion posted:

I dislike the term "blackgaze" myself, thus why I usually leave it in quotations.

As for orthodox, when I think orthodox black metal I think your theistic Satanist, anti-cosmic chaos Gnosticism stuff etc. Deathspell Omega, Katharsis, Dodsengel, Fides Inversa, that stuff, of which I absolutely love and I highly recommend.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtLcX8Oc9EQ

I don't particularly listen to stuff like Horna too much anymore unfortunately. I think there is a new Clandestine Blaze album though, may catch your fancy.

Deathspell Omega is really unconventional, though.