Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

allta posted:

Cask 12

The location of this cask is thought to be New York
Verse 10
In the shadow
Of the grey giant
Find the arm that
Extends over the slender path
In summer
You'll often hear a whirring sound
Cars abound
Although the sign
Nearby
Speaks of Indies native
The natives still speak
Of him of Hard word in 3 Vols.
Take twice as many east steps as the hour
Or more
From the middle of one branch
Of the v
Look down
And see simple roots
In rhapsodic man's soil
Or gaze north
Toward the isle of B.

As you might have noticed in the verses there are several spelling errors, I figured they were important so I left them in, and I did my best to preserve the original spacing.

If we go by the park theory....

There are lots of arches here!

Washington Square park is just about the most famous arched park in the City.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Square_Park

It also happens to have a very famous tree (one of the oldest in NYC) that has a branch hanging out over a small side path.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hangman%27s_Elm

"Find the arm that
Extends over the slender path
"

The entire park (especially near that tree) is encircled by fairly heavily trafficked roads.

"In summer You'll often hear a whirring sound Cars abound"

Oh, I almost forgot! The park used to be a burial ground, thought to be a native American burial ground.

"Speaks of Indies native
The natives still speak
"

I haven't gotten a chance to look more closely at the arch, but I bet if this is the place some of the art would be referenced.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Square_Arch

I do live right near this park. So if anyone gets ideas, I can hop on over.

Edit:

This looks suspiciously like the three towers in the tiny image near the top...

There's also a very popular fountain that people like to go into during the summer.

Pilfered Pallbearers fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Occams taser
Mar 7, 2013

What is Occam's Razor??????

Howard The Dork posted:

Wow! So then GH on her collar becomes Gough Street, which borders lafayette park to the east.

this......

- picture of where it's supposed to be

- picture of the surrounding streets (gough street is right near by), the "white" house is actually ON gough street, it looks like.

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

He clenched his teeh and walked out of the study
Super cool, I hope this thread comes to fruition! Love the artwork in that book, too.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

Quebec doesn't have a significant celtic heritage, at least outside of the Irish-Canadian group.

I'd also be curious to know if the tam-tam groups were around 30 years back, they seem like a more recent phenomenon to me.

According to wikipedia they started in 78.

Occams taser
Mar 7, 2013

Cask 3
Verse 11

Look north at the wing
And dig

Occams taser fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 31, 2013

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Occams taser posted:

this......

- picture of where it's supposed to be

- picture of the surrounding streets (gough street is right near by), the "white" house is actually ON gough street, it looks like.

That isn't a house, it's an apartment building. There is a white house (or two) on Washington Street, though.

Occams taser
Mar 7, 2013

The cask is within that yellow circle, i'm almost sure of it.

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES

Occams taser posted:

The cask is within that yellow circle, i'm almost sure of it.

Well, get a Shovel, and become internet Indiana Jones famous. Because I am going to die a little until one of us unearth at least one of these!

edit: The North at the wing thing could be the small outlet on the east side of that island.

exwhyze
Dec 27, 2003

I'm a slave to the power of death!
A little safety advice for anyone attempting to dig on public property. I believe that the charges against you would be "criminal damage to public property" provided you got caught. To minimize that chance, wear a yellow vest while you are digging. You could even bring a small tree to plant and pose as a landscaper.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Ok, I think cask 11 is possibly in COPLEY SQUARE

If Thucydides is
North of Xenophon

Going by that Lemontiger's reasoning RE the names above the library

Thucydides is above Xenophon- posibly meaning North?

Take five steps
In the area of his direction
A green tower of lights
In the middle section

I don't know

Near Those
Who pass the coliseum

quote:

"The Boston Coliseum, or Temple Of Peace, was a temporary building constructed solely for the purpose of hosting the National Peace Jubilee in 1869. This enormous structure stood where Trinity Church and the Copley Plaza Hotel are now located in Copley Square.
[i]With metal walls

quote:

The John Hancock Tower, officially named Hancock Place and colloquially known as The Hancock, is a 60-story, 790-foot (241 m) skyscraper in Boston. The tower was designed by Henry N. Cobb of the firm I. M. Pei & Partners and was completed in 1976.
Just next to Cobley Square.
Face the water

[i]Your back to the stairs
Feel at home
All the letters
Are here to see

Boston Library. And Stairs.

Eighteenth day
Twelfth hour
Lit by lamplight
In truth, be free.

Reciprocator posted:

Eighteenth day, Twelfth hour, lit by lamplight - Paul Revere at midnight before the battle of Lexington and Concord (April 19th 1775)
...look who painted Paul Revere......????!?!?!

Possible clues from the painting
The building next to the library could pass for a stylised version of what is on that box she's holding..

OOh and look, that cuff is also suspiciously like a bit of the road next to the library

The Falcon could refer to the 'Black Falcon Cruise Terminal' which is nearby.

...there is also a small fountain and grassy area inside the library that might have something to do with it? That square at the top of the arch is bothering me.

Does that top square represent the library court?

Anyway I am in the UK and have looked at all this with Google maps and stuff so I don't know....it all seems quite plausible to me. From what I've read Copley Square has had a lot of refurbishing done so the casket (if there at all) may be under concrete by now.

Rondette fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 31, 2013

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

Well spank me silly: this is the lat and Long of Louis Armstrong park:
29.962708,-90.069019

The use of decimal notation for lat and long coordinate wasn't common before the advent of GPS and computers. Most of that stuff was written in degrees, minutes and decimal of minutes or seconds.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

Occams taser posted:

Cask 3
Verse 11

Look north at the wing
And dig

That is where the Elizabethan gardens that we have been talking about are located.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Bad news, looks like Lafayette Park in SF was renovated starting last May. Apparently it's not even open to the public yet, opens next weekend.

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
College Slice

Kingnothing posted:

If we go by the park theory....

That was an interesting idea for Verse 10...personally, I think the New York box is in Battery Park for a few reasons: one is that it was in the shadow of the World Trade Center (the grey giant), and the other is that it's next to the American Indian Museum (the reference to the Indians). Not quite sure how to place the box now that the WTC has been gone for 10 years, though. Also, if you look North from Battery Park, you will see Brooklyn (the Isle of B?).

Centrist Dad fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 31, 2013

M42
Nov 12, 2012

It's not in the library, it's most likely in the copley square park itself.

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Look Ma! I caught a Fwaggle!

M42 posted:

Bad news, looks like Lafayette Park in SF was renovated starting last May. Apparently it's not even open to the public yet, opens next weekend.

The way I see it you are either trying to keep the rest of us away while you spend the week digging up the park, or inviting us to participate in a "landscaper" flash-mob.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Hah, I wish. http://sfrecpark.org/project/lafayette-park-improvements/

This is work they did near the only "sandy" area you can see on google maps.

Oh, also, regarding Boston - I lived there since 99 and they haven't done anything to the copley square park since at least then. However, I wouldn't recommend someone go dig around and look suspicious in that area for a long time.

M42 fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 31, 2013

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Look Ma! I caught a Fwaggle!

M42 posted:

Hah, I wish. http://sfrecpark.org/project/lafayette-park-improvements/

This is work they did near the only "sandy" area you can see on google maps.

So... uh... How about that verse 7 guys?

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

Rondette posted:

Hella smart stuff

Well this seems way more solid than my idea.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Oyak posted:

That was an interesting idea for Verse 10...personally, I think the New York box is in Battery Park for a few reasons: one is that it was in the shadow of the World Trade Center (the grey giant), and the other is that it's next to the American Indian Museum (the reference to the Indians). Not quite sure how to place the box now that the WTC has been gone for 10 years, though. Also, if you look North from Battery Park, you will see Brooklyn (the Isle of B?).

While Brooklyn is on an island, it is not an island by itself. That would be Long Island.

But..

There does seem to be a small island located off the coast near battery park that is part of Brooklyn.

It's called Governor's Island. The Battery Park tunnel runs right next to it.

Edit: Well according to Google Maps the address is in brooklyn, but according to wikipedia it's part of Manhattan.

And if it was supposed to be the WTC, wouldn't it be grey giants?

Pilfered Pallbearers fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 31, 2013

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
The Your City Sucks subforum might be a good way to spread the word around to people who are near possible sites.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=241

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

M42 posted:

Oh, also, regarding Boston - I lived there since 99 and they haven't done anything to the copley square park since at least then. However, I wouldn't recommend someone go dig around and look suspicious in that area for a long time.

This is a really great article about the history of Copley Square which shows it had a refurb in 1984
http://landscapenotes.com/2012/08/23/copley-square/

(book was published 1982)

allta
Mar 28, 2011

Disco Nixon posted:

I think the Houston one is referring to Hermann Park. Hermann is the only park with a train which matches up with the riddle. It also has a pond with a fountain that shoots water up. The zoo is nearby, and I think it used to have columns like that around the entrance, but it's gone through many remodels. I can't find a picture of it from the 80s unfortunately. I'm not sure where in the park the treasure would be, I don't know it that well, and don't live in Houston anymore so other Houston goons would have to investigate further.

Edit: I found train 982!!! I think it MUST be in Hermann park.

If you could, and take a bunch of pictures, that would be great! I'll work this afternoon on narrowing it down a bit as well.

stabbity posted:

I'm in Milwaukee and my running route takes me past these locations all the time. I'm totally willing to go check places out if people figure out more (I'm terrible at riddles).

Pictures would be nice once we pin down the location a bit more!

Raccoon Leaf posted:

I live really close to Hermann Park, and I don't start my new job until Monday, so I have nothing else better to do today than to go and take some pictures.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets posted:

Nice, I live an hour away in Beaumont and was thinking of heading up there Sunday to do some looking around.

Yes! Please do it could be a really big help!

The Monkey Man posted:

I'm speculating that the gem in the New Orleans picture is a pearl, and that it's represented by the full moon in the clock. Are all of the gems birthstones?
Yep, and if you haven't picked up on it every picture also has a birth flower, which was a thing I never even knew existed!

Also everything up to this point is in the 3rd post! It's still a bit rough and needs some condensing and I still need to cross post the mock up's from the wiki but this is definite progress.

Were pretty close to CASK 1 I'd say.

I'll also work on Making a to do list to help organize what we still need a bit better.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Occams taser posted:

Of all the romance retold
Men of tales and tunes
Cruel and bold
Seen here
By eyes of old

This is a paraphrase of the introduction to Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson,
Note that there is an actual inhabited Treasure Island in San Francisco Bay.

e: The lady in the NYC picture has the Statue of Liberty's face.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 31, 2013

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Would you really need to dig? Juts get a small metal probe and push it in the place you think the treasure chest is. And if you come across some cocoanut palms leaves and the hole starts filling up with water for no good reason, STOP DIGGING BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
The casks are all made of ceramic, so metal detectors wouldn't work. I don't know if there's any technology that could detect them that didn't exist 30 years ago.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
For Cask 12, I'm not a New Yorker, but the first thing I thought of looking at the picture & reading the verse was Liberty Island.
I realize the statue is green, but in certain light it can look grey and I believe this was even more true pre-restoration (1984-1986) when her color was pretty muted.

The other thing that made me think Liberty island was the hem of the dress in the picture:

If that roughly corresponds to the tip of Manhattan, then the gem could roughly correspond to Liberty Island. I'm ignoring the 4th tiny raindrop in the picture for this purpose.

Looking at an overhead view of the island, there is a "slender path" that leads southeast:

If you walk down that path a ways and look north, you can see Ellis island, which was also at one point named Bucking Island ("isle of B").

There's a bunch of stuff that doesn't fit with this idea (the cars especially don't make a lot of sense), but I thought there was enough to mention. One other problam with the "Isle of B" is that there are at least two other possibilities:
1. Liberty island itself used to be called Bedlam's Island.
2. There used to be an island near Ellis island called Black Tom Island that got blown up in World War I.

e: one other thing I like about this theory is that you can use the actual arm of the statue as a sundial to determine when you're supposed to "take twice as many east steps as the hour." The position of the sundial, "over the slender path," and the season, "summer," are helpfully provided.

fishtobaskets fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 31, 2013

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

The Monkey Man posted:

The casks are all made of ceramic, so metal detectors wouldn't work. I don't know if there's any technology that could detect them that didn't exist 30 years ago.

Well if you can get a hold of a Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground-penetrating_radar) you could be good to go!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
If Verse 9 is the Charleston verse, it would make a lot of sense as the Fort Sumter verse. "The first chapter, written in water". First chapter of the civil war?

quote:

The first chapter
Written in water
Near men
With wind rose
Behind bending branches
And a green picket fence
At the base of a tall tree
You can still hear the honking
Shell, limestone, silver, salt
Stars move by day
Sails pass by night
Even in darkness
Like moonlight in teardrops
Over the tall grass
Years pass, rain falls.

EDIT:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=google+maps+fort+moultrie&ie=UTF-8&ei=0fOoUYT6H5GA9gSXl4G4CQ&ved=0CAsQ_AUoAg

The area to the left of Fort Moultrie there, if you zoom in on Google Maps, there's a long stretch of picket fence, some of which is now dilapidated and unpainted but which could have been green, some of which is now painted white. It's immediately next to Fort Moultrie, which is part of the Fort Sumter national park. There's a large tree back there too but I imagine there would've been other trees there before Hugo came through, so who knows.

It's on the waterfront so seems to fit a lot of details. Of course, it also makes sense for St. Augustine to fit the "first chapter" in this verse, as the oldest settlement in the US, and St. Augustine is also a port and has shell/limestone construction in plenty of places.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 31, 2013

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
College Slice

fishtobaskets posted:

For Cask 12, I'm not a New Yorker, but the first thing I thought of looking at the picture & reading the verse was Liberty Island.
I realize the statue is green, but in certain light it can look grey and I believe this was even more true pre-restoration (1984-1986) when her color was pretty muted.

The other thing that made me think Liberty island was the hem of the dress in the picture:

That's pretty compelling...the buildings in the picture strongly resemble the main building on Ellis Island, too.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!
From Verse 10:

The natives still speak
Of him of Hard word in 3 Vols

This really stuck out to me as something we should recognize. A google search for this phrase produces 1 relevant result, a photo of a monument to John C. Calhoun, located in Marion Square, which is in Charleston, SC.

The caption of the photo is 'Calhoun Hard word in 3 Vols' This could be a coincidence, or maybe the person who took the photo is quoting the same thing the verse is referencing.

This doesn't jive at all with Verse 10 being for NY, but I thought it interesting enough to share.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

M42 posted:

Re: SF, that tennis court has got to be the place, there's a huge white building there. However, unless the dude buried the cask 6 feet down in the sand, I doubt it's still there. I mean, 30 years in sand doesn't sound promising.

Worse yet, the Loma Prieta earthquake in 1989 did its worst damage in areas with a sandy substrate: "liquefaction" of the soil occurs and things shift. Lafayette is 9 blocks south of the Mission District, which took the worst damage in 1989. Something buried in 1983 in San Francisco sand is almost certainly not in the same place now. (Obviously, it could still be in the same sand pit, but the landmarks might well be wrong.)

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

The Monkey Man posted:

I think by metal probe he meant one of those thin metal poles you can stick in the ground, like they use on mountains and stuff to figure out where to dig for buried people.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
January had to be Silmaril month :(

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
I am from Milwaukee and would help out.

[edit]

Beaten by stabbity, I guess we could make it a goonmeet

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

allta posted:

Cask 10:

The Location for this cask is thought to be Milwaukee
Verse 8
View the three stories of Mitchell
As you walk the beating of the world
At a distance in time
From three who lived there
At a distance in space
From woman, with harpsichord
Silently playing
Step on nature
Cast in copper
Ascend the 92 steps
After climbing the grand 200
Pass the compass and reach
The foot of the culvert
Below the bridge
Walk 100 paces
Southeast over rock and soil
To the first young birch
Pass three, staying west
You'll see a letter from the country
Of wonderstone's hearth
On a proud, tall fifth
At its southern foot
The treasure waits.

After looking at the pdf which supposedly tries to interpret the verse and picture I have to say it is 100% wrong. There are few possibilities of where to start but I think it is most likely downtown. The treasure could be in Red Arrow park across from City Hall with an identical view as shown in the picture. This is most likely although the park has changed dramatically since 1982. If the treasure lies there it is gone or buried under concrete.

edit:
The three stories of Mitchell - could be the Mitchell building at Water and Michigan.
walk the beating of the world - could refer to Water Street, trying to think of a street with a name that would mean "beating of the world"
woman with harpsichord - There is a relief of a woman on the pabst theater and a harp(not a harpsichord)
ascend the 92 steps - not sure where that may be? Inside City Hall?

Neutrino fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 31, 2013

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
On Milwaukee:

The 3 stories of mitchell sound like the botanical domes..

The outline of the building in the picture looks like one of the old/condemned VA buildings on the back of the property and you can definitely see the 3 botanical domes of mitchell park from there. I know that there are lots of old stone steps back there too.

There is a lot of property back there, its all public access and sounds plausible since the last 2 were found in similar areas.

Cast in copper.. There are a lot of copper memorial type things on that property since it's very old and protected by the government.

Is anyone else familiar with the Milwaukee VA back grounds? It's been about a year since I went walking back there.

[edit]

Neutrino lol, we gotta brainstorm about this.

"Ascend the 92 steps
The foot of the culvert
Below the bridge
Walk 100 paces"

I was thinking stone steps in a park but I guess it could mean the amount of steps in city hall or something. I'm trying to think of a place in downtown where you could walk up that many stairs and find yourself in a park or public area suitable for burying something like that.

I guess back in the day you could probably bury something in front of a bunch of people without looking very suspicios.

davey4283 fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 31, 2013

lfield
May 10, 2008
I've been reading about the Roanoke Island verse. This might be reaching a bit, but if it is in the Elizabethan Gardens:

quote:

A path beckons
To mica and driftwood
Under that
Which may be last touched
Or first seen standing

Fort Raleigh is the site of the lost Roanoke Colony (established by John White, who drew several maps of the area). White left the colony for England and later returned to find everyone had vanished:

wikipedia posted:

Governor White finally reached Roanoke Island on August 18, 1590, his granddaughter's third birthday, but he found his colony had been long deserted. The buildings had collapsed and "the houses [were] taken downe".[31] The few clues about the colonists whereabouts included the letters "CRO" carved into a tree, and the word "CROATOAN" carved on a post of the fort.[31]

John White posted:

from thence we returned by the water side, round about the Northpoint of the Iland, vntill we came to the place where I left our Colony in the yeere 1586. In all this way we saw in the sand the print of the Saluages feet of 2 or 3 sorts troaden yt night, and as we entred vp the sandy banke vpon a tree, in the very browe thereof were curiously carued these faire Romane letters C R O: which letters presently we knew to signifie the place, where I should find the planters seated

Could the tree with the carving in it be the thing that was "last touched" by the colonists before they left, and was the first thing "seen standing" by White when he returned?

lfield fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 31, 2013

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

davey4283 posted:

On Milwaukee:

The 3 stories of mitchell sound like the botanical domes..

The outline of the building in the picture looks like one of the old/condemned VA buildings on the back of the property and you can definitely see the 3 botanical domes of mitchell park from there. I know that there are lots of old stone steps back there too.

There is a lot of property back there, its all public access and sounds plausible since the last 2 were found in similar areas.

Cast in copper.. There are a lot of copper memorial type things on that property since it's very old and protected by the government.

Is anyone else familiar with the Milwaukee VA back grounds? It's been about a year since I went walking back there.

[edit]

Neutrino lol, we gotta brainstorm about this.

"Ascend the 92 steps
The foot of the culvert
Below the bridge
Walk 100 paces"

I was thinking stone steps in a park but I guess it could mean the amount of steps in city hall or something. I'm trying to think of a place in downtown where you could walk up that many stairs and find yourself in a park or public area suitable for burying something like that.

I guess back in the day you could probably bury something in front of a bunch of people without looking very suspicios.

The only thing that is correct in the pdf is the City Hall which is why I was thinking about downtown. At first I thought about the Domes which could be metaphorical stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
Upon further review, I'd say that that building is probably city hall. A lot of that guys breakdown sounds far fetched but the steps leading up from lincoln memorial do sound plausible..

Mother fucker I beat he means that compass sculpture off of brady st by the bridge over by lincoln memorial. When was that guy erected?

http://tinyurl.com/krfy73n

edit naw circa 2005

davey4283 fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 31, 2013