Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
I see he used a modified form of "Watch this", I think the judges can allow it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Blistex posted:

"Hiiiiigh-waaaaaaay to the DANGER ZONE!"

Lana....Laaaana....LAAAAANNNAAAA!!!!!!!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Polymerized Cum posted:

1) Pilot has super-FAA-unapproved drugs in his system, including Vicodin, Valium and Benadryl.

I have a feeling that this kind of stuff really isn't all that uncommon. Maybe not along the lines of Vicodin, but things like Benadryl and Nyquil would probably come up in a lot of tests if they were looking for it.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 30, 2013

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

I have a feeling that this kind of stuff really isn't all that uncommon. Maybe not along the lines of Vicodin, but things like Benadryl and Nyquil would probably come up in a lot of tests if they were looking for it.

The guidelines for allowable medications for holders of medicals is eye-opening.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
I'm sure you all have gotten this exact question a million times but... is it even possible to invert a mad dog like Denzel Washington does in "Flight"? I've found conflicting answers online.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The crew of Alaska 261 tried but still didn't have enough control of the aircraft to save it.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Polymerized Cum posted:

Preliminary report on the EagleMed crash came out this week. More stupid pilot tricks, another HEMS accident.

http://www.news9.com/story/22212504/ntsb-mid-air-stunt-causes-fatal-eaglemed-crash-lone-survivor-speaks-out

1) Pilot has super-FAA-unapproved drugs in his system, including Vicodin, Valium and Benadryl.
2) Pilot decides to fly UNDER power lines, and maintains 200-300' AGL during enroute phase
3) Door becomes unsecured, and instead of landing to resecure, crew attempts to do so in flight.
4) Pilot acts out "coyote hunting" maneuver, placing aircraft into a steep dive.
4) AS350 plows into a group of trees, and the nurse and pilot die in the fiery crash. Medic somehow survives.

This is why my profession is under so much scrutiny, because people feel like being cowboys. And the reason I am ineligible for life insurance, thanks to pricks like this.

O Ye of Little Faith...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4CQfaBGWSo

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Bishop posted:

I'm sure you all have gotten this exact question a million times but... is it even possible to invert a mad dog like Denzel Washington does in "Flight"? I've found conflicting answers online.

If you can maintain positive G (ceiling to floor), you can fly in any attitude in an airliner indefinitely. The thing is, maintaining inverted flight does not allow this condition by its nature. While there is no aerodynamic reason why an airliner couldn't fly inverted, there will be a number of other problems that will cut your experience short. The engines will starve themselves of both fuel and oil after a short period of time (in the order of a minute or so), at which point you would need to start trading altitude for airspeed - in other words, you're no longer maintaining inverted flight.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

MrChips posted:

The engines will starve themselves of both fuel and oil after a short period of time (in the order of a minute or so),

Is that really the case in a modern aircraft? WWII aircraft that relied on carburetors for gas and gravity to feed oil to the engine, sure, but in a modern engine? I can't see the fuel delivery system in a gas turbine caring about what orientation the airplane's in.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Bishop posted:

I dunno about the mad dog, but it's technically possible to fly inverted in a crj. At least the simulator has no problem with it, and the fuelling system is capable.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
Thanks for your responses. I'm just a dude that flies a lot so I wanted some better opinions.

MrChips posted:

The engines will starve themselves of both fuel and oil after a short period of time (in the order of a minute or so), at which point you would need to start trading altitude for airspeed - in other words, you're no longer maintaining inverted flight.
They lose oil pressure to their engines very shortly after inverting, so that seems accurate. I just watched the movie and thought that the crash scene, while well done and intense, was unrealistic because I've always been under the impression that a commercial airliner is not designed to ever fly inverted. I could be very wrong though which is why I'm here. Here's the scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sAxrWl5DGU

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
The DC-10 can fly inverted, as it did so during the fight aboard fedex 705. If the DC-10 can, it's probably reasonable to believe the DC-9 can (since things like the fuel pumps are likely to be similar), and there are at least anecdotal stories of DC-9s flying inverted without crashing.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Phanatic posted:

Is that really the case in a modern aircraft? WWII aircraft that relied on carburetors for gas and gravity to feed oil to the engine, sure, but in a modern engine? I can't see the fuel delivery system in a gas turbine caring about what orientation the airplane's in.

Most of the turbines I've seen have to be specifically designed for dry-sump operation. Otherwise, there's an oil tank on the bottom with an oil pump in it. Fuel dip tubes are also bottom-fed, so even though all the pumps and whatnot work in any attitude, fuel is only at the input in a limited range.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

SybilVimes posted:

The DC-10 can fly inverted, as it did so during the fight aboard fedex 705. I

Holy poo poo. What a crazy story...

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I forgot about that one. Pretty intense.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Most of the turbines I've seen have to be specifically designed for dry-sump operation. Otherwise, there's an oil tank on the bottom with an oil pump in it. Fuel dip tubes are also bottom-fed, so even though all the pumps and whatnot work in any attitude, fuel is only at the input in a limited range.

Most civil gas turbines are dry-sump (in fact, I'd be somewhat willing to go out on a limb and say all of them are), but the scavenge systems are rarely designed to pull oil from anywhere but the bottom of the bearing housings. So in the inverted scenario, the bearing housings will fill with oil until the pickup tube in the oil tank (which is typically right at the bottom of the tank, as most civilian gas turbine oil systems use the tank itself to allow any entrained air to separate out) is no longer immersed in oil. After that, it's anyone's guess what happens; the bearings and seals are usually designed to be sprayed with jets of oil, not to be submerged in it.

The fuel issue is, I agree, the limiting factor. There are provisions to maintain fuel supply for a limited amount of time during zero/negative-G situations (and these vary by engine and aircraft alike), but there typically isn't enough fuel in these systems to run for much more than a minute or two.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Holy gently caress.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
Jesus christ. It's gonna be hard to top that one on black box transcripts.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Holy poo poo indeed :stonk:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Reading about the film, the failure appears to be based on Alaska Airlines 261; they flew upside down for a little while.

wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Airlines_Flight_261
Kinda sad that they made such an unrealistic film based on that failure; there was some incredible piloting down on 261 but the plane was completely unrecoverable.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 31, 2013

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes

Vitamins posted:

An Airbus A319 has just had to pull an emergency landing at Heathrow after an engine fire

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-22652718

Looks like there's some pretty bad damage to that engine. Possible bird strike?

Turns out the maintenance crew forgot to latch the engine cowl :doh:

http://www.aaib.gov.uk/publications/special_bulletins/s3_2013___airbus_a319_131__g_euoe.cfm

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

hobbesmaster posted:

Kinda sad that they made such an unrealistic film based on that failure; there was some incredible piloting down on 261 but the plane was completely unrecoverable.
What was unrealistic about the scene? Honest question. From my point of view as a layman I kind of facepalmed when they inverted the aircraft, but that's apparently doable as long as you are OK with oil and fuel pressure dropping and destroying your engines very quickly. The movie got that part right too. Which parts do you find unrealistic?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Bishop posted:

What was unrealistic about the scene? Honest question. From my point of view as a layman I kind of facepalmed when they inverted the aircraft, but that's apparently doable as long as you are OK with oil and fuel pressure dropping and destroying your engines very quickly. The movie got that part right too. Which parts do you find unrealistic?

That the co-pilot wasn't an alcoholic as well.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Bishop posted:

That that airplane's Vmax was apparently ~330 knots.

Also, when you pull the extinguisher handle on an engine, engine's killed. They did that with both engines and then still kept moving throttles around like they'd do anything with both engines dead.

Also, that anyone still hires stewardesses who look like that.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Phanatic posted:

Also, that anyone still hires stewardesses who look like that.

Foreign airlines still do!

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

Phanatic posted:

When you pull the extinguisher handle on an engine, engine's killed. They did that with both engines and then still kept moving throttles around like they'd do anything with both engines dead.
Yeah that makes sense. They seem to kill the left engine and then intentionally burn it up while rolling back. It almost seems like an editing error because they do make sure to show that the engines won't last long while inverted.

I'm a boater and I've got a big red button that floods the engine room with CO2 if there is a fire down there. It ruins everything but hey, you are no longer on fire. Do aircraft have a similar system?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Bishop posted:

Yeah that makes sense. They seem to kill the left engine and then intentionally burn it up while rolling back. It almost seems like an editing error because they do make sure to show that the engines won't last long while inverted.

I'm a boater and I've got a big red button that floods the engine room with CO2 if there is a fire down there. It ruins everything but hey, you are no longer on fire. Do aircraft have a similar system?

When you pull on the big red engine fire handles, (and the exact operation varies by aircraft, of course,) the first movement (generally pulling the handle down, out, or up,) closes the fuel and hydraulic fluid cutoff valves, opens the generator field circuit (sometimes it just disconnects the constant speed drive/IDG from the accessory gearbox,) and arms the fire bottle(s) for that engine. You can then (generally,) turn the handle left or right to fire individual fire bottles to that engine, which bathe the inside of the cowling with a generous application of firefighting foam. Sometimes its a seperate switch or handle to actually fire the bottles.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MrYenko posted:

When you pull on the big red engine fire handles, (and the exact operation varies by aircraft, of course,) the first movement (generally pulling the handle down, out, or up,) closes the fuel and hydraulic fluid cutoff valves, opens the generator field circuit (sometimes it just disconnects the constant speed drive/IDG from the accessory gearbox,) and arms the fire bottle(s) for that engine. You can then (generally,) turn the handle left or right to fire individual fire bottles to that engine, which bathe the inside of the cowling with a generous application of firefighting foam. Sometimes its a seperate switch or handle to actually fire the bottles.

Not foam, halon.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

There's a reason cowl latches are a dual signature on our aircraft. It's easy to latch them incorrectly if you aren't being careful, but it's equally easy for someone else to spot they aren't latched correctly if they double check.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Linedance posted:

Not foam, halon.

My mistake... Ya, Halon 1301, in fact. :v:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrYenko posted:

Can you try to restart the engines after you do that?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

hobbesmaster posted:

Can you try to restart the engines after you do that?

Returning the handle to the original position (in some aircraft) reopens the fuel and hydrualic shutoffs, but who in their right mind would open the fuel shutoffs to an engine that was just potentially on fire?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrYenko posted:

Returning the handle to the original position (in some aircraft) reopens the fuel and hydrualic shutoffs, but who in their right mind would open the fuel shutoffs to an engine that was just potentially on fire?

This is in context of a movie where the pilot is high on cocaine.

edit: since we're in fantasy land anyways, I do that in DCS A-10 because uh: 1. its a simulator. 2. you have an ejection seat. 3. its a loving a-10 the only thing thats going to kill you is the ground

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 31, 2013

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
So uh, is this a big deal?

KOKC 010026Z 33046G62KT 1/4SM R35R/1800VP6000FT TSRA FG SQ FEW022CB BKN027 OVC100 18/17 A2956 RMK FUNNEL CLOUD B2355 W MOV E FUNNEL CLOUD E06 AO2 PK WND 33062/0021 WSHFT 2355 FRQ LTGICCCCGCA OHD-ALQDS TS OHD-ALQDS MOV E P0009

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
:laffo:

Nah, it's fine. Grab a camera though.

I swear, with all these twisters OK is getting, my house needs to loving disappear so I can get that insurance check and cut my ties.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

xaarman posted:

So uh, is this a big deal?

KOKC 010026Z 33046G62KT 1/4SM R35R/1800VP6000FT TSRA FG SQ FEW022CB BKN027 OVC100 18/17 A2956 RMK FUNNEL CLOUD B2355 W MOV E FUNNEL CLOUD E06 AO2 PK WND 33062/0021 WSHFT 2355 FRQ LTGICCCCGCA OHD-ALQDS TS OHD-ALQDS MOV E P0009

It is a pretty nasty time of year.

These two sets of pictures were taken two minutes apart. Then things go nasty.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
True story, as Alaska 261 was crashing into the Pacific, I was sitting in the Alaska Airlines boarding room at SeaTac, waiting for my flight back to Juneau. I was somewhat relieved to know that the aircraft was a Mad Dog, since Alaska Airlines never operated them SE Alaska.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

SyHopeful posted:

True story, as Alaska 261 was crashing into the Pacific, I was sitting in the Alaska Airlines boarding room at SeaTac, waiting for my flight back to Juneau. I was somewhat relieved to know that the aircraft was a Mad Dog, since Alaska Airlines never operated them SE Alaska.

I've always wondered - in circumstances like that where an aircraft on an airline you're about to fly on crashes, how many people just look around, look at the terminal door, and quietly back away and not fly? Is the airline even allowed to fly without a safety audit?

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

SyHopeful posted:

You still in J-town?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

hobbesmaster posted:

This is in context of a movie where the pilot is high on cocaine.

edit: since we're in fantasy land anyways, I do that in DCS A-10 because uh: 1. its a simulator. 2. you have an ejection seat. 3. its a loving a-10 the only thing thats going to kill you is the ground
I know it's all fantasy land, but from a non pilot's perspective they do seem to include a lot of little details. It would be odd for them to mess up something as simple as killing an engine then using it again. Oh well it was a good scene and thanks for all the answers!

Another quick question. Do airline pilots usually use "port or starboard" instead of "left or right?" It makes all the difference in the world on boats if you are not facing the same direction as the person you are talking to. Since airplane jagon seems so similar I was a little confused about that. Especially when they were putting out fires on engines while inverted.

PS: From this thread and others I'm under the impression that mad dogs own. This is correct, right?

Bishop fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jun 1, 2013