Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm watching this from the beginning just to see how someone can actually talk about dice for 68 minutes. He really can't, can he?

EDIT: At the 10 minute mark, he actually is :stare:

EDIT 2: I now know more about dice and dice rolling techniques then I do about any government bill that'll effect me.

Leal fucked around with this message at 11:36 on May 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Mogambo posted:

God, that guy is the worst. As a reminder to everyone, he put up an auction have the privilage of paying for dinner with him. Twice.

(sadblowjob.jpg is seriously one of the funniest things in the world and I adore that Todd included it in the article.)

It also makes me think he might be a reader of the political cartoons thread which is pretty funny.

As for Y Ruler of Time, he's pretty good, I prefer him to Sage honestly, mainly because Sage can be annoying at times when he slips into his wacky "Oh man I ironically wanna gently caress all these anime girls!" thing. Y's Downfall of Bleach videos are pretty good though.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Brows Held High returns with a double-feature from Peter Greenaway: Nightwatching and Rembrandt's J'Accuse.

A lot of location shooting here, and the wind messes with his audio a little, but otherwise strong.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Snob has a new DVD-R Hell, Gary Coleman: For Safety's Sake.

Gary Coleman is always watching you.

Amusingly, TGWTG has a page for it, but the video is still Heartbeeps.

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!

echopapa posted:

Brows Held High returns with a double-feature from Peter Greenaway: Nightwatching and Rembrandt's J'Accuse.

A lot of location shooting here, and the wind messes with his audio a little, but otherwise strong.

hey nice I'm learning something about my own country. Brows Held High is back on a strong note! And yes I am eating this episode up. More critics/reviewers should get outside to film.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Mutation posted:

I'm also surprised how well the Redlettermedia crew can carry a "Best of the Worst" episode without Mike, that website is just the greatest. :allears:
This is something I appreciate as well and would like to know more about these people. Who are they? Do they have names? Where did they come from? As far as I can tell this info isn't on their site anywhere.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Doctor Reynolds posted:

This is something I appreciate as well and would like to know more about these people. Who are they? Do they have names? Where did they come from? As far as I can tell this info isn't on their site anywhere.

I think one might be Mikes wife.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

somekindofguy posted:

Episodes like this make me appreciate how much craft Doug puts into his episodes compared to your average internet critic. The relaxed schedule helps too; you wouldn't see half the shots you saw int his episode if Doug was still doing a weekly thing. If this helps him break out of the box he was in with old NC, more power to him.

As to the review: my only experience with AI was learning about the alternate reality game around it. A couple of the points went on a bit long (Chris Rock robot, the TMZ thing [kudos for mimicking the format of the show though]), but the point about this film being an homage to Kubrick was a nice one. I can appreciate the intent behind the movie at least.

My one other gripe is Doug talking about how to represent people's work accurately when he was ripping on an obviously exaggerated version of TMZ. I'm leaning towards it being tongue-in-cheek, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone thick accused him of libel or slander or some poo poo like that. It was a bit hard to tell at points.

The change in both schedule and restrictions was the best thing that could have happened to Doug. With the exception perhaps of Son of The Mask, he so far has been doing movies he's more passionate about, either in having a strong opinion on why it's so offensive beyond the production/quality issues, why it's worth your time, or why it's severely misunderstood by all. He seems to be loving what he's doing again and it really helps.

Also, I had no idea that the aliens in the end were actually robots. How the hell was that supposed to be clear to anyone?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Deadspin has been running a periodical series called "Why Your Children's Television Sucks". Here's their latest review on Super Why.

http://deadspin.com/why-your-childrens-television-program-sucks-super-why-510490180

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

cubs2084 posted:

The change in both schedule and restrictions was the best thing that could have happened to Doug. With the exception perhaps of Son of The Mask, he so far has been doing movies he's more passionate about, either in having a strong opinion on why it's so offensive beyond the production/quality issues, why it's worth your time, or why it's severely misunderstood by all. He seems to be loving what he's doing again and it really helps.

Also, I had no idea that the aliens in the end were actually robots. How the hell was that supposed to be clear to anyone?

Yes, it was pretty clear. One of them was even hyperevolved Jude Lawbot, wasn't he? The kidbot addresses him with whatever catchphrase he had like "Hey Joe, what do you know?" or something like that. Might be remembering it poorly. Last time I saw the film I was eleven.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

cubs2084 posted:

Isn't there a narration that completely spells this out as it's happening? It was in the version I watched a few years ago.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

I seem to remember that as well, but it's been a looooong time since I saw this movie.

I actually remember not getting why everyone wanted the ending to cut at the Blue Fairy under the ocean. I'm not saying what we got was great, but the problem with the alternative is that it's the just the most default pretentious "failure ending" anyone can think of. The ending we do get isn't actually a happy ending either.

Humanity's greatest fear was being replaced by their robots, which is exactly what happened. They appear "alien" because at this point, they have no reason to maintain humanoid appearances. They looked human before because it made humans more comfortable to see robots that resembled them. A race of JUST robots would not have concern for aesthetics. Going the "grey alien" route with the design is an obvious mistake on the filmmakers part though, because most audience see that and just go "Oh, aliens!" So even if you tell them something else, they're still going to be operating under their first impression instead.

David is obsessed with the image of a mother who was in fact a terrible person. He is programmed to love her and cannot self-terminate until he reaches her. I assumed the "Blue Fairy" in the ending was just a hologram the hyper-advanced robots used to communicate to him with something they knew he understood. Frankly, I don't even buy that the "soul revival" thing was real. The "one day" limit? Something to cut down on how long they needed to deal with David. He's actually depicted breathing (blowing out birthday candles) and sleeping, something he cannot do as a robot. The whole illusion was an attempt to shut him down without him waking up and running off again.

And yea, this means their best record of humanity is of a child with irresponsible parents and creators. This ain't a happy ending - it's a testament to the hubris of an extinct race.

Doesn't really make the criticisms of it less valid though. I never really felt an urge to run out and see this movie again, but it always urks me every time I hear another person prattling on about "Turn off the movie when you THINK it's ending!"

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
JO finally posted Part 2 of Round 3 of the Winter Anime Derby I think summer anime season is in, like, 6 or 7 weeks? She's got a lot of catching up to do, though the last few seconds of the video succinctly sums up why she's so behind. EDIT: drat, she took down the placeholder so now the actual Derby episode is up.

Honestly, I can't help but think how different this series would be if Sage was doing it. I can see more than a couple of shows being ranked very differently, at least.

Also Paw does Hairspray, another musical that was a broadway production first, movie second, with the difference being that he actually likes this one! (and I guess this one was a movie first, broadway second, musical movie third but whatever)

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jun 1, 2013

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Infamous Sphere posted:

If it's Ok to shill your own show - I have a show! Well, sort of a couple of shows. I review LGBT movies (Infamous Queer and Gender Hipster Reviews) and period dramas (Period Drama Drama.)
My approach is a mix of humourous and analytical - I'd say my style is probably relatively similar to Oancitizen's.

I'm open to any recommendations/suggestions - I'd love it if anyone could suggest more good lesbian movies, as my show is VERY scant on lesbian content. I just find that gay male movies tend to have more interesting plots (whether in a good or bad way) whereas lesbian movies seem to be mostly about two feminine stereotypically attractive middle class white women falling in love tastefully. Or they're Black Swan. (I will be taking an axe to Black Swan VERY soon, don't you worry.)

How about Circumstance? It's about two feminine stereotypically attractive IRANIAN women falling in love tastefully! Seriously though, I thought it was relatively good and definitely better than the trailers made it out to be.

There's also Gia, which portrays the life of the 70s supermodel and features Angelina Jolie in her breakout role. I should point out that the movie is less about the lesbian relationship and more about Gia's rise to fame and decline as a whole.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
There's a whole genre of post-apocalyptic roller skating movies, and I'm reviewing one of the first, Roller Blade.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
So Red Letter Media did a little mini Plinkett short for Into Darkness.

But they're also putting up the next Plinkett review to a vote. That should be pretty drat interesting.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I always wanted a Plinkett review of the Matrix sequels since it's similar to the Prequels in the sense that they "destroyed the franchise's legacy" (so to speak). It was just a huge drop in overall quality and they really retconned some things.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 1, 2013

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I would enjoy a Jurassic Park Mr.Plinkett review.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

achillesforever6 posted:

I would enjoy a Jurassic Park Mr.Plinkett review.

Part 1: IT'S GREEEEAAAAAAAAAATTTTT
*rap song*

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lupa has had a few videos up in the past couple of weeks that I don't think have been linked here. The most recent takes a look at Hulk Hogan's album.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Qwezz posted:

hey nice I'm learning something about my own country. Brows Held High is back on a strong note! And yes I am eating this episode up. More critics/reviewers should get outside to film.

The reason why most of us don't, is because we're too shy to go out into a public place and hope no one's going to interrupt our filming. Hell, I can't even film when anyone else is in the house. Or because we don't have any crew (people to operate the camera), and...not really any reason to be on location. It is neat to see though, especially when you're talking about a movie set in a specific place.

FourLeaf posted:

How about Circumstance? It's about two feminine stereotypically attractive IRANIAN women falling in love tastefully! Seriously though, I thought it was relatively good and definitely better than the trailers made it out to be.

There's also Gia, which portrays the life of the 70s supermodel and features Angelina Jolie in her breakout role. I should point out that the movie is less about the lesbian relationship and more about Gia's rise to fame and decline as a whole.

Thanks for the recommendation! Circumstance was excellent - I saw a free screening at my university as part of "diversity week" - and I was thinking recently that I should get myself a copy so I can review it properly.

I've heard about Gia, but I'm a little hesitant to watch it, since I'm somewhat biased about Angelina Jolie (ie: I kind of hate her.)

Lesbian movies I'm trying to get around to reviewing at the moment include Windows, which is sort of like...an incredibly horrible, boring lesbian stalker movie from 1980, that was so bad that it got hurriedly pulled from cinema screens, and is directed by the guy who did the cinematography for The Godfather, The Killing of Sister George, which is an actually-pretty-decent-and-fair, all-things-considered movie from 1969, about a woman who plays a cheerful nun on a TV soap, but is actually a grumpy, alcoholic butch lesbian in reality, Pariah, which is not only a really good teen story, but has a cast that's pretty much entirely black (I know I should probably say African American, or "people of colour" - but I do feel a bit weird saying that for some reason), and of course, loving Åmal, which is probably the lesbian equivalent of Beautiful Thing, in that it's actually a legitimately good coming of age/coming out story. Now, you probably already know about some of these movies, but I thought I'd outline the plots briefly anyway. So yes! Hopefully I'll get around to these soon (eventually.)

I recently watched The Hours, but I think I'll be leaving that one alone. It's a bit too..vignetty for my taste, I suppose, and came across as a not as good lesbian version of A Single Man but in reverse. (Which probably makes absolutely no sense, but there you go!)

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

Rebochan posted:

I seem to remember that as well, but it's been a looooong time since I saw this movie.

I actually remember not getting why everyone wanted the ending to cut at the Blue Fairy under the ocean. I'm not saying what we got was great, but the problem with the alternative is that it's the just the most default pretentious "failure ending" anyone can think of. The ending we do get isn't actually a happy ending either.

Humanity's greatest fear was being replaced by their robots, which is exactly what happened. They appear "alien" because at this point, they have no reason to maintain humanoid appearances. They looked human before because it made humans more comfortable to see robots that resembled them. A race of JUST robots would not have concern for aesthetics. Going the "grey alien" route with the design is an obvious mistake on the filmmakers part though, because most audience see that and just go "Oh, aliens!" So even if you tell them something else, they're still going to be operating under their first impression instead.

David is obsessed with the image of a mother who was in fact a terrible person. He is programmed to love her and cannot self-terminate until he reaches her. I assumed the "Blue Fairy" in the ending was just a hologram the hyper-advanced robots used to communicate to him with something they knew he understood. Frankly, I don't even buy that the "soul revival" thing was real. The "one day" limit? Something to cut down on how long they needed to deal with David. He's actually depicted breathing (blowing out birthday candles) and sleeping, something he cannot do as a robot. The whole illusion was an attempt to shut him down without him waking up and running off again.

And yea, this means their best record of humanity is of a child with irresponsible parents and creators. This ain't a happy ending - it's a testament to the hubris of an extinct race.

Doesn't really make the criticisms of it less valid though. I never really felt an urge to run out and see this movie again, but it always urks me every time I hear another person prattling on about "Turn off the movie when you THINK it's ending!"

You know, I think by the end I was pretty checked out, and haven't watched it more than the once, so I guess it's possible I missed it. Though Doug himself seemed to indicate it wasn't obviously stated.

As for the whole 'It should have ended at the Blue Fairy' argument, that's not one I ever heard discussed with the movie much. I'd have to watch it again to really judge how good an idea that would be.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.
So right now how desperate is Doug for money? I'm asking this because right now he is doing a series of vlogs in which he will talk about every single episode of Avatar the Last Airbender in order to prepare himself for his review of The Last Airbender. There is nothing wrong with him looking over Avatar the Last Airbender but to do a video for each individual episode is excessive.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

LateToTheParty posted:

So right now how desperate is Doug for money? I'm asking this because right now he is doing a series of vlogs in which he will talk about every single episode of Avatar the Last Airbender in order to prepare himself for his review of The Last Airbender. There is nothing wrong with him looking over Avatar the Last Airbender but to do a video for each individual episode is excessive.

Meh, I don't think it's desperation so much as an idea he's trying. The fact that it's directly tapping into a near guaranteed large viewerbase, many of whom have been pretty vocal about telling him what they want is probably just a coincidence.

Also I love viscerally reliving shows I like through other people watching it for the first time so I have no problem watching these vlogs even if it is a cash grab. :v:

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer

LateToTheParty posted:

Considering there are 60ish episodes, this is going to be a long slog for him and the audience, unless he decides to put 2-3 episodes in a single vlog. Given some of the multi-part episodes, that's what likely going to happen anyway, but it would at least keep things going at a reasonable pace. It's a good idea though, since my understanding is that the film deviates from the series quite a bit, so knowing how the animated series went would be helpful. It might keep the more militant Avatar fans off his back. On the other hand, this review/episode could easily turn into Doug shouting "this is not like the animated series!" for 30 minutes like other people. It's almost a no-win situation.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Doesn't the movie only follow the first season? He doesn't have to go through the whole animated series then, if his only goal is to understand the movie better.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's a good show to watch regardless. Seeing the whole series really paints a picture why fans of the show hated the film.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I too think it is a cool idea just because I like seeing people react to watching a show for the first time.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

LateToTheParty posted:

So right now how desperate is Doug for money?

If Doug was actually desperate for money, he would go back to weekly shows and not give a poo poo since he's figured there's little quality difference to people if he just calls everyone a bitch in (insert movie).

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea the day Doug revives his old "AND WHAT WAS THE DEAL WITH THAT BITCH?!" shrieking without actually talking about the movie, then you know he's desperate for money, this is just a gimmick he's doing.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I actually think it's a decent idea, because I know plenty of people that absolutely refuse to watch the original cartoon series because of how bad the movie was.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

somekindofguy posted:

Considering there are 60ish episodes, this is going to be a long slog for him and the audience, unless he decides to put 2-3 episodes in a single vlog. Given some of the multi-part episodes, that's what likely going to happen anyway, but it would at least keep things going at a reasonable pace. It's a good idea though, since my understanding is that the film deviates from the series quite a bit, so knowing how the animated series went would be helpful. It might keep the more militant Avatar fans off his back. On the other hand, this review/episode could easily turn into Doug shouting "this is not like the animated series!" for 30 minutes like other people. It's almost a no-win situation.

Ha. Hahahaha. You have no idea.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
He's going into the movie and series both fresh, right? It should be pretty awesome to see him react to the movie after all that watching the show.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
Yeah, cash grab or no, I'm actually genuinely interested in watching someone experience the series for the first time, so I'll definitely be watching all the vlogs. Also, if he likes the show, it will set up a nice righteous reaming of the movie a la his rant in the recent Pearl Harbor review, so that's something to look forward to too.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009
I think it's probably a combination of the two. As Doug tellingly said himself, "time is money". So if he's going to take the time to do this, he may as well both give something to the fans and make some money too. I think that's entirely fair, since he didn't otherwise indicate anything but genuine interest in doing this.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Doug's schizophrenic reaction between "The Great Divide" and "The Storm" may be the highlight of the whole experiment. :allears:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

cubs2084 posted:

I think it's probably a combination of the two. As Doug tellingly said himself, "time is money". So if he's going to take the time to do this, he may as well both give something to the fans and make some money too. I think that's entirely fair, since he didn't otherwise indicate anything but genuine interest in doing this.

Yea I got no reason to assume this is some sinister plot, dude's job is 'make videos for internet people', he's doing that job, can't really say 'how dare he do his job too well'.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !
I can recommend watching the crossover review a bunch of the Channel Awesome team did on the Last Airbender movie. This one, as well as the previous year's Dragonball movie review, are two of my favorite ones on the site.
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/ir/yrt/specials/30277-the-last-airbender

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I really hope TLA ends up being voted the next Plinkett video because I'm honestly more interested to see how he'd approach that movie. It's bad in such a unique way that no one could have possibly expected that you'd really need a thorough breakdown on every single thing it does wrong. Which is literally everything in it.

I mean goddamn, this poo poo took $150 million to make.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RpgbZcHk_A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
A Plinkett review would be interesting simply to get a (internet) critic that doesn't judge it as an adaption,but simply as another bad Shyamalan movie. I mean, the movie is a a lovely adaption, but that isn't even remotely its only fault and I would say, not even its major one.

• Locked thread