Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

GhostBoy posted:

- There are a few instances where you can steal items, while there are civilians about. It will almost always result in getting caught and starting a fight, which means the civilians run away and hide. If you want to soak up the atmosphere (and listen to the banter), do so before you nick anything. Stealing is also optional.

Note that there is absolutely zero point (red text) Stealing anything because every single time, you will come by that same item slightly later and it will be available to take. So go ahead and take it if you absolutely need it now.

Like the lockpicks, it wasn't a particularly well thought out game mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Phobophilia posted:

Note that there is absolutely zero point (red text) Stealing anything because every single time, you will come by that same item slightly later and it will be available to take. So go ahead and take it if you absolutely need it now.

Like the lockpicks, it wasn't a particularly well thought out game mechanic.

I think there's one moment early-ish where you can steal a gun that doesn't otherwise become available until a fair bit later in the game, but other than that there's no real point to stealing, yeah.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
You can get that gun later when you double back through that area (there isn't even a loading screen). So absolutely no real point unless you want to start the fireworks early.

It's still a cool gun that I always use to ruin half a dozen guys, but beyond that it's not that practical and you can't even buy ammo for it at that point.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

EddieDean posted:

Red Dead Redemption
- About a third of the way through the game you'll go through an area transition (after crossing some water) and come back to gameplay. Once you're on your horse, don't get off until after the song is over. Just go with it.
- The "Bonnie" missions are tutorial missions. Do them first -- you'll learn a lot, and get some skills you'll need going forward.
- The first bounty example has you shoot a dude in the leg to subdue them to take them in alive. This only works for that mission and won't work ever again (you'll need an item you get from a Bonnie mission instead).
- You can skip the skinning animation if you park your horse over top of the dead animal in question. If the animation can't go off without clipping, it'll skip.
- Make sure you play allll the way until the end. You'll know when you get there.
- Undead Nightmare is great and totally worth playing but you should leave it until after your first playthrough of the main game.

I need to play Red Dead again.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem
Anything for Torchlight II? The wiki only has hints for the first game. If it matters, I was thinking about playing a punchy Berserker.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Phobophilia posted:

You can get that gun later when you double back through that area (there isn't even a loading screen). So absolutely no real point unless you want to start the fireworks early.

It's still a cool gun that I always use to ruin half a dozen guys, but beyond that it's not that practical and you can't even buy ammo for it at that point.

I thought the shop was shuttered off during the part you're talking about, but it could very well be that I just forgot where it was and was looking at a different shop.

It doesn't matter either way though, the point is that stealing isn't worth it (unless you really like shooting things and simply hate ambient dialogue).

Primitive Screwhead
Dec 11, 2007
Yes sir, listening. No sir, no touching.

GhostBoy posted:

...pay attention to what is said in the final hour of the game...

What in the Jiminy Crickets' kind of advice is this before I play?

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Wax Dynasty posted:

Anything for Torchlight II? The wiki only has hints for the first game. If it matters, I was thinking about playing a punchy Berserker.

As a berserker, your weapon types don't really matter as long as they're the same type. Fist weapons are nice but they have no aoe, but loads of abilities will compensate for this. Focus is actually a quite nice stat for you since it raises execute chance. Strength is still your best stat though. Battle rage, shadow burst, and shadow bind are god tier skills. Make sure to get at least a point in every passive, many aren't worth raising beyond that. Execute, cold steel, and shred armor are the good ones.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Primitive Screwhead posted:

What in the Jiminy Crickets' kind of advice is this before I play?
Perhaps not as relevant directly, but the exposition in the final bit ties a lot of stuff together, and there are a few key bits they only mention once, which if you miss them due to inattention (there is a lot of stuff going on), can impact your understanding of the plot. I regretted not putting on subtitles on for that bit, and figured it might be worth mentioning.

vvvvv EDIT: It's one of those "You'll know it when you see it" things. Won't say anymore for fear of spoiling, which we were asked not to.

GhostBoy fucked around with this message at 09:03 on May 29, 2013

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

GhostBoy posted:

Perhaps not as relevant directly, but the exposition in the final bit ties a lot of stuff together, and there are a few key bits they only mention once, which if you miss them due to inattention (there is a lot of stuff going on), can impact your understanding of the plot. I regretted not putting on subtitles on for that bit, and figured it might be worth mentioning.
I think the crux of his reply was how is he supposed to know when the final hour of the game begins if he's never played it before.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

EddieDean posted:

About to start both Red Dead Redemption

If you fail a side mission by letting an NPC die and it doesn't give you the option to retry, don't worry. The mission will usually respawn in a few (real-time) hours like nothing happened.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I just picked up the PC version of X-Com; is there anything I need to know to not screw myself over right out of the gate?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Evil Mastermind posted:

I just picked up the PC version of X-Com; is there anything I need to know to not screw myself over right out of the gate?

Focus on getting satellites online.

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

moller posted:

Focus on getting satellites online.

You can build more than one at a time too!

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Evil Mastermind posted:

Enemy Unknown?

Base Building: Satelites, satelites, satelites. By the time they begin to matter, they really matter.

In combat: move forward very slowly, abuse overwatch. If you think you're being too cautious, you aren't.

If you mean the original, then whoops. Never played it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Sorry, yeah, the new one. Thanks guys.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
I'm feeling a little burned out on Monster Hunter, so I thought I'd boot up the one other game I have for my WiiU: ZombiU. Anything I should know before going in?

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Sorry, yeah, the new one. Thanks guys.

Early on you'll be presented with missions where you can choose which country to help, choose the one with engineers as a reward.

Along with satellites, build a satellite up-link as quick as you can, you'll need it to launch your sats.

You'll probably lose some countries, but that's perfectly acceptable, just don't lose 8. You'll also lose soldiers, so be sure to take a rookie or two out on missions early on to get them experienced.

Assault class are really powerful, get the Run-and-Gun ability, and later on equip them with Ghost armor and Alloy cannons.

Squad Sight ability for snipers is also very useful.

You don't need a specific group of classes, but I find that...

2 Snipers
3 Assault
1 Support

Works best for me. I don't use Heavies unless I absolutely have to.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Remote User posted:

Early on you'll be presented with missions where you can choose which country to help, choose the one with engineers as a reward.

Along with satellites, build a satellite up-link as quick as you can, you'll need it to launch your sats.

You'll probably lose some countries, but that's perfectly acceptable, just don't lose 8. You'll also lose soldiers, so be sure to take a rookie or two out on missions early on to get them experienced.

Assault class are really powerful, get the Run-and-Gun ability, and later on equip them with Ghost armor and Alloy cannons.

Squad Sight ability for snipers is also very useful.

You don't need a specific group of classes, but I find that...

2 Snipers
3 Assault
1 Support

Works best for me. I don't use Heavies unless I absolutely have to.

Heavies are insanely useful and you should abuse their rockets at every opportunity to destroy enemy cover.

I found a good mix to be

2 Support
1 Sniper
2 Heavies
1 Assault.

Assault guy charges in, the Supports sweep and cover, the Heavies murder and the sniper hangs around in an elevated stationary location with Squadsight.

The Crooked Warden posted:

I'm feeling a little burned out on Monster Hunter, so I thought I'd boot up the one other game I have for my WiiU: ZombiU. Anything I should know before going in?

Don't horde things in your backpack, always keep something in reserve at the container at your safehouse and stock that up well. You will die, and getting back to your now-zombified last guy can be dangerous in some places. Also, play it with your WiiU connected to the internet. You'll occasionally come across zombified versions of other players wandering around and can raid their bags (it doesn't mean someone can invisibly steal your zombie's stuff, it's just a copy).

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

2 Support
1 Sniper
2 Heavies
1 Assault.

I usually always roll with 2 Heavies because goddamn those rockets, and they just get better as you upgrade and level your dudes.

I roll with 1 support, and 2 Assault though.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Funkmaster General posted:

In combat: move forward very slowly, abuse overwatch. If you think you're being too cautious, you aren't.

I'm going to quote this from the XCOM thread:

1stGear posted:

I'll go ahead and post this on the first page with a slight addition so its easy to find.

Overwatch and You or How You Are loving Up Playing XCOM

This post is about Overwatch and using it properly. This is because Overwatching correctly is one of the most fundamentally important parts of playing this game on Classic and Impossible and the aliens will destroy you every single time if you don't do it right.

What is Overwatch?

Just so we're on the same page, Overwatching is the act of having your soldier reaction fire on any enemy that makes a move action within their field of view. Overwatch shots cannot crit, are made at an Aim penalty, and the Overwatcher must have line-of-sight on the victim. Overwatch shots do not trigger on any action except for movement. Choosing to Overwatch ends your soldier's turn entirely, regardless of how many actions they had left. I'll interchangeably refer to Overwatch shots as reaction fire.

I know that and I use it all the time, what's the problem?

The using it all the time is the problem. Its a common refrain in this thread that should always end your turn on Overwatch and that's a false statement that will result in the death of a lot of soldiers. This is because of something incredibly, unbelievably important that the game does not directly tell you:

An alien that knows it is being Overwatched will not move for any reason (Short of panic). This is for the same reason that you try to avoid moving when you're being Overwatched: the AI doesn't want to give you the free shot and potential kill. However, a human player has the capacity to judge the risk of taking reaction fire against other potential risks, like being flanked or a car about to explode. The AI does not. Again, if the AI knows a unit is being Overwatched, it will not move that unit under any circumstance. Instead, it will fire at one of your units. On unmodded Classic, this is super-bad because the aliens receive bonuses to their Aim and Crit chance, meaning their chances of hitting and killing one of your soldiers is significantly higher.

This is why you are loving up using Overwatch. By always choosing to Overwatch if you can't think of anything else, you are essentially forcing the AI to make more shots on your soldiers, significantly increasing the chance of those soldiers dying.

So Overwatch is useless then.

No, Overwatch still has two primary uses:

1)The AI in XCOM is not omnipotent. If it doesn't have line-of-sight on you, it legitimately does not know where you are and what you are doing (This appears to extend even further than a human player's lack of knowledge in that the AI doesn't seem to cohesively use all of its units' vision, meaning that the AI might move Sectoid A into an Overwatching soldier's LOS even though Sectoid B already had LOS on the Overwatcher). This means the AI will walk into Overwatch fire if the Overwatcher was in the fog of war. This is why, when you are in the initial scouting phase, you should be ending every turn on Overwatch in case an alien pack runs into view. This is also useful for Overwatch traps, where you pull your soldiers back, Overwatch them, then let Muton Berserkers charge in and get hosed up by a criss-crossing plasma disco.

2) The refusal of the AI to move while it is Overwatched is as much as a risk to them as it is a risk to you. This means they won't shift out of half-cover, they won't run from being flanked, and they won't move from an exploding car. Using Overwatch is a way of 'fixing' an alien in place if that alien is in an advantageous place for you or if you are moving soldiers to flank it. Keep in mind that the pinned alien will continue to shoot at your people, so make sure that the potential gain of pinning it is higher than the potential risk of injury or death. Its honestly better to use Suppression for this particular use.

An alien ran into my field of view while I was Overwatching and didn't get shot! SOLOMONNNNNNNNN!

There's like a one-tile space at the edge of a unit's LOS where you can see them, but Overwatch fire doesn't trigger. This applies for both the player and the AI, but the AI is a lot better at exploiting it. It doesn't happen that often, its just super loving annoying when it does. :xcom:

Also this:

coyo7e posted:

That's a lot of words to never mention that when you move forward soldiers while scouting in the beginning of a mission or when opening up new map areas, you shouldn't be overwatching until you've already gained an advantageous field of fire and you're ready to send that final rookie out a few squares ahead into the "risky" area. Overwatching just because you used your first move phase is really a bad habit to get into, until/unless you've moved most/all of your other squadmates halfway or fully as well.

To say it an a different manner: layering your troops' movement is just as important as fields of fire and overwatch order.

I'm a goon, break it down into bullet points

- Overwatch when you are scouting and not certain what you'll run into.
- Overwatch when you want to keep an alien pinned down to flank it/shoot it/whatever.
- Overwatch when you know the AI doesn't have LOS on you and thus doesn't know what you're doing.
- DO NOT Overwatch if you will gain nothing from this alien's current position. Either take the shot if its >40% or Hunker Down.
- AVOID Overwatching while in half-cover. Half-cover is not hugely useful on Classic and it is almost always better to Hunker Down than doing anything else.

People who say you should always end by Overwatching are straight-up wrong. I followed that particular advice and was losing 1+ soldiers every mission. When I learned how the AI responded to Overwatch and began thinking about my use of it in that context, I started using it a lot less while using Hunker Down or taking shots I wouldn't have taken before. Abruptly, I start winning more missions with no casualties. Overwatch is a very powerful ability when used correctly and its is an anchor around your neck if you use it without thought.

Which basically means you have to choose between Overwatch and Hunker Down. As a rule of thumb, if one of my dudes can see an alien (meaning the alien can see me), and the alien is going to have a turn of shooting, I'm going to hunker him down. If my people are in hard cover, and I have a critical mass of overwatch (3-4 guys), then I'm might choose to Overwatch so that if the alien chooses to advance, it will get shot down.

What I won't do is Overwatch aliens that can see me, because they'll just shoot my rear end.

On the other hand, during the initial scouting phase, I'll always try to end my turns in Overwatch because that gives me the possibility of scoring a few kills on the aliens on the turn they are revealed.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
Just got The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing on steam, any tips for that? The skill system seems a little confusing.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD

Kenny Logins posted:

I think the crux of his reply was how is he supposed to know when the final hour of the game begins if he's never played it before.

As long as it's decently written and you're paying attention, you should pretty much always get a feeling of 'I'm approaching the end of the story.'

Is there anything anyone can advise about Dungeons? I've had it on my Steam library for ages and haven't gotten around to playing it yet.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Heavies are insanely useful and you should abuse their rockets at every opportunity to destroy enemy cover.

Don't get me wrong, heavies are useful, I just like getting more loot by not using rockets or grenades. I used heavies in my first play through, they're fine.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

EddieDean posted:

About to start both Red Dead Redemption

- Hold B to tip your hat and say howdy to passers-by.
- You don't find cougars, cougars find you.
- There are infinite bears.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

EddieDean posted:

About to start both Red Dead Redemption and Bioshock Infinite. Would appreciate spoiler-free info on both.

With RDR I found it better to be a good guy for a lot reasons.
There is a bandana you'll find to wear in cases of finding mass murder irrestable that won't damage your good name. You'll know its time to become an arsehole way way way at the end.

Its a pretty easy game to 100% and there some good outfits you'll get along the way.

Use the rockstar social club RDR page to to track that and other things.

When you get to the point I mentioned earlier, arsehole time, don't stress if there are uncompleted side quests from the main game still undone. You will still be able to finish them except for one.

Whenever you notice a stranger mission called "I know you" appear go do it before too long passes. That's the only thing that becomes impossible to finish if you go too far.

The online co-op is great fun but the levelling can be a grind. 50 is the max level but you can "pass into legend" and restart 5 times I think. So max level is really 250 in a way. The only extras you get for doing that are mounts if I remember right.

Enjoy it. Its one of those games I wish I could play anew again.

Edit: they still have pretty regular online events and triple xp sessions too. That really takes the pain out of leveling online.

Sleekly fucked around with this message at 09:44 on May 30, 2013

SaxMaverick
Jun 9, 2005

The stuff of nightmares

Bloodcider posted:

- Hold B to tip your hat and say howdy to passers-by.
- You don't find cougars, cougars find you.
- There are infinite bears.

No matter how prepared you are, no matter how many hours you've played, you WILL poo poo your pants when a cougar gets you

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

SaxMaverick posted:

No matter how prepared you are, no matter how many hours you've played, you WILL poo poo your pants when a cougar gets you

Not after doing that hunting thing where you have to get 5 of them with your knife. :smug:

They're just big kitty cats with addictive cool death growls. Hard on the horses though, still free leather is ok.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

SaxMaverick posted:

When I played RDR, I didn't know there were cougars.

You can imagine the rest.

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011
I didn't either, until one of 'em killed my horse and swatted me clear off a cliff into a river. :argh:

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet
So I'm kinda an experienced SMT player, but is there anything I should know about Soul Hackers? Anyways to screw myself over/out of items?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I just got it in the new Hundle, anything to know about the Walking Dead? (The good, point-and-click one.)

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Colon V posted:

I just got it in the new Hundle, anything to know about the Walking Dead? (The good, point-and-click one.)

Don't read up on anything about the game until you've finished it, don't second guess your choices and definitely don't try and load an older save to alter a choice you've made.

The game is all about your first experience playing through it, so just roll along with it and accept everything that happens.

There will be unpleasant decisions and events, and experiencing and accepting them is what makes this game great.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah, this is a game where the less you know before you play it for the first time, the better it will be. It's all about making hard choices and living with the results, so just start it up and enjoy the ride.

The only tip I would maybe offer is that for some dialogue choices, you'll be given the opportunity to say nothing; there's no particular reason to do this that I'm aware of, the game's more interesting if you choose to have a character and say things to people.

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

Checked back through a bunch of pages and didn't see anything, so apologies if this has been well covered, but does anyone have any tips for Don't Starve?

Just got it last night, lasted 3 days and died. Then went again for 6 days. I'm learning. Slowly. :eng99:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Colon V posted:

The one thing I'll say about TWD is you shouldn't "game" the story. If you sit on the fence or try to act neutral, everyone will hate your guts. The choices you make don't change the outcome of the story, but they do change how characters treat you.

Go into the options and turn off the notifications. This will keep pointless things from distracting you like "X character will remember this!" You can leave the tooltips on so you're not pixel hunting.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Colon V posted:

Use a separate save slot for each episode. There's a game breaking bug in chapter 3 I'm not sure is still around but keep back saves so you don't have to do everything over again.

Like the other posters have said, pick a vocal personality and stick with it. You can go back and forth in attitudes but it helps to get more into the character if you have a consistent feel for his personality. I was playing closer to middle of the road rather then outspoken and sometimes I'd catch myself going "No loving way I/he puts up with this" at certain points.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Read the page for Yakuza but can somebody explain the dog food thing? It says as soon as possible so I assume it's important and missable but I don't like googling stuff for a game I'm pretty just playing for the story (I assume it's side content but still). Knowing when in the game the move tutor guy in the park is available would be useful too, I just escaped from the funeral so I'm not too far in but he sounds pretty important. Anything missable or not obvious would be great really, I got it from Lovefilm so no manual.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

al-azad posted:

Go into the options and turn off the notifications. This will keep pointless things from distracting you like "X character will remember this!" You can leave the tooltips on so you're not pixel hunting.

I disagree, I never found them distracting at all and in fact the game uses them quite interestingly at certain parts. I recommend leaving them on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
I can't find the post now, but I remember someone posting a big helpful infodump on Terraria. It isn't the stuff on the wiki, it basicly broke down what armor to get, then what boss to kill, then what upgrades to shoot for, all in a nice order.

Anyone know what I am talking about?