Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

OhYo posted:

Meekness is the control of power, not the absence of power.

OTOH, puppies.

Gonna make the token suggestion for Indiana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

the_steve posted:

Ask the King: Did you know our mom before she washed up in our village?

Edit: Mini vote: +1 for Beaky

"No" your mother says. "I am from another city, Sweetling."

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
Hmm... if having a dog is what people do, then shouldn't we have a dog as well? If a dog is a man's best friend and we are getting close to being a man then surely we should have one. I vote Yes for a dog and for naming it Beaky.

Ask Tudiya, 'Will I grow more fingers and toes if I do well and El favours me?"

'What do you eat if you aren't by the ocean? Do you fish for things like... the donkey monsters?'

Probably more questions later.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

RandomPauI posted:

My father was teaching me how to read messages from the sea but I didn't learn that much. Will I learn anything like that from you? What else will I learn?
Interesting question, but I'm voting not to ask it. ... yet.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

RandomPauI posted:

My father was teaching me how to read messages from the sea but I didn't learn that much. Will I learn anything like that from you? What else will I learn?

No to asking this, and whatever name we pick now for our puppy should not be set in stone till we see it.

Callipygian Weasel
Apr 2, 2010

by Lowtax
OhYo, why do you hate dogs? Why do you hate happiness?

Everyone else: Beaky doesn't make any damned sense for a dog. :colbert:

Uhhh... question for King: Does El ever ask for sacrifice?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Minivote: YES on the dog, and he shall be named JESUS

Questions: ask your mother/Danal if they will begin your education in this foreign language immediately. To my mind, there is no time to waste and the better grasp we manage to get on the language before we get to the city the better off we will be. Jalitha speaks both languages so she is the best choice, especially for learning grammar, but Danal has more enthusiasm and can be used to fill in vocabulary. It will impress those that need to be impressed and it might even allow us to overhear things that are spoken in front of us thinking that we have no understanding!

Zet
Aug 3, 2010

OhYo posted:

Yea, really jumping the gun, people. Wait.

My response to Danal: "Dogs seem like play-things for little children. I will see your dogs, but I will to mature to do as men do, not as children. A thing of value cast to dogs is a waste for they will devour it. I will not cast my efforts to dogs, but to men and women, young and old."

Voters, we've gotten an honorable hair-cutting and naming from the king of Zepath and you want to squander away with animal-keeping? There will be a reason we are set apart from the sons of Tudiya: not because we are weak and childlike, because we are meek and mature.

You may be jumping the gun in assuming this puppy/dog won't become some bad-rear end sidekick, tearing at our enemy's torso as we slice their jugular. :p

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
Voting to name the dog Beaky and yes to asking that question.

Changed my vote for dog name to Jorah.

Mexican Deathgasm fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jun 1, 2013

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Voting: No on asking. It is what a naive child would ask, but its rude and will just provoke the king.

GloriousDemon
May 1, 2009
Guys we need a number two as a king does, name the dog Barkof.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Name the dog Pagah.

Callipygian Weasel posted:

We don't know that.

The Bad Llama
Nov 22, 2004
The coke is just for color...
Let's name our puppy BEAKY but only if the puppy is worthy of such a name

Alternatively, we could name the dog Og or Asherah

I vote NO on the whole telling Tuyida that we were learning how to read signs.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

No to asking.

Do ask if we can try the wine if there is anymore, we're obviously a man now and being wine glad is something we should do to fit in. If only they'd had a nice chianti the Dad encounter would have gone better.

TenWren
Jan 22, 2012

No to asking.

I am all for naming the dog Pagah, but I'd take anything at all over Beaky.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

Zet posted:

You may be jumping the gun in assuming this puppy/dog won't become some bad-rear end sidekick, tearing at our enemy's torso as we slice their jugular. :p

Callipygian Weasel posted:

OhYo, why do you hate dogs? Why do you hate happiness?

Happiness is temporary (It's there and then it's gone), joy does not require happiness and is longer-lasting.

From what I know of dogs in human culture, generally they're there as food-scrap clean up and warmth on cold days. It's only recently that people have been more 'cutesy' with them. I have a hard time describing that as a companionship, but it looks like many voters are going for a companionship.

Dogs in Zepath's culture may be just like that. One-notch up from pests. More like bottom feeders and UNCLEAN. If we're meant to be the cultured-savage or beast-boy turned civil, playing with and keeping a dog is the last thing to do while acclimating to a new culture.

We've been given the haircutting/naming from a king. Set an upright path and Enkidel will earn respect from all the land. Set ourselves above his sons, and we will find more favor than any animal could give: the favor of all peoples.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

OhYo posted:

Yea, really jumping the gun, people. Wait.

My response to Danal: "Dogs seem like play-things for little children. I will see your dogs, but I will to mature to do as men do, not as children. A thing of value cast to dogs is a waste for they will devour it. I will not cast my efforts to dogs, but to men and women, young and old."

Voters, we've gotten an honorable hair-cutting and naming from the king of Zepath and you want to squander away with animal-keeping? There will be a reason we are set apart from the sons of Tudiya: not because we are weak and childlike, because we are meek and mature.

Interesting, my vote goes here.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

OhYo posted:

Dogs in Zepath's culture may be just like that. One-notch up from pests. More like bottom feeders and UNCLEAN. If we're meant to be the cultured-savage or beast-boy turned civil, playing with and keeping a dog is the last thing to do while acclimating to a new culture.

Or maybe they're waist high hunting dogs capable of tearing a man's limbs clean off! :iiam: Our new pal seems to believe dogs are more modern like companions. Also we have no idea what a dog even is so being like yes they are pests who eat scraps is kind of getting ahead of ourselves, we have next to no context on them other than the men laughing about Danal excitedly describing them.

Also when asked about his sons he said he has one, if he just adopted us we might be the only one, or he just misspoke who knows!

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 31, 2013

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Name our puppy The Gate so we can

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

OhYo posted:

Instead of just straight up saying no to a dog because we might think it's unacceptable in a city we haven't seen yet, why don't we ask the king (who probably is Danal's dad with the hints in the answers)?

Tudiya, how are dogs viewed in Zepath? are they acceptable pets?

Also, going to vote for Thegaté for a puppy name.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

To Tudiya: "How are dogs regarded by the people of Zepath?"

To Tudiya: "Who is your son?"

To Danal: "Who else plays with dogs?"

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Trundel posted:

Ask Tudiya, 'Will I grow more fingers and toes if I do well and El favours me?"

At this, Tudiya laughs and then shakes his head.

A Darker Porpoise posted:

No to asking.

Do ask if we can try the wine if there is anymore, we're obviously a man now and being wine glad is something we should do to fit in. If only they'd had a nice chianti the Dad encounter would have gone better.
Your mother answers this one. "No sweetling, not now."

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Uuuuuuugh mom you never let me do anything fun! :v:

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

I am going to head home soon and then maybe start on the update. If anyone wants to forum PM me the IRC log from the day I would appreciate it, thanks!

Edit: Thanks, Arkanomen!

Diogines fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 31, 2013

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Indiana or Barkof. I guess Indiana, because I get the reference.

Snow Job fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 1, 2013

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Beaky

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I'm voting against Beaky because it's stupid.

DCBomB
Sep 14, 2008

We will hold and love our puppy always.

We will call him Thegaté.

Klingtron
Sep 10, 2011
Changing my vote to Barkof

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Klingtron posted:

Changing my vote to Barkof

Yeah, why not. Barkof it is.

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!
Also voting against Beaky (and Thegate and any other dumb injoke references) because that poo poo's dumb.

gerg_861
Jan 2, 2009

rex monday posted:

Also voting against Beaky (and Thegate and any other dumb injoke references) because that poo poo's dumb.

Gently caress that. In jokes rule. I vote beaky

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
If we name the dog Thegate, all we are going to do is hold him and get nothing done.

I don't get the name Barkof. Is this a reference to the reporter?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

If we name the dog Thegate, all we are going to do is hold him and get nothing done.

I don't get the name Barkof. Is this a reference to the reporter?

There's a dude in the party named Barkof, and it has bark in it. I kind of like it actually, because it's something I'd see an eleven year old doing assuming they associate the barking sounds the kid is making with the first part of Barkof. Which is a big assumption, but meh, I'm fine with making it.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

If you asked a question that I skipped, it was because someone else already asked and it was answered.. Or I missed it by mistake. if I did, please point it out, thanks!

OhYo posted:

To Tudiya: "How are dogs regarded by the people of Zepath?"
"He says that men who wish to have them and that they well regarded."

OhYo posted:

To Tudiya: "Who is your son?"
You ask the question. Tudiya laughs and points to the child you have been carrying on your shoulders for the better part of an hour as you talk to the king and whom you have been otherwise playing with for several hours as you walked. Danal makes a monster noise and swooshes his stick through the air as if he was slaying another invisible monster.

Tudiya is the largest man you've ever seen... and based on Danal's actions so far, you may need to adjust your estimation of his age once again. He might be five or six?

OhYo posted:

To Danal: "Who else plays with dogs?"
"He says that people, Sweetling" your mother says.

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009

Diogines posted:

If you asked a question that I skipped, it was because someone else already asked and it was answered.. Or I missed it by mistake. if I did, please point it out, thanks!

"He says that men who wish to have them and that they well regarded."

You ask the question. Tudiya laughs and points to the child you have been carrying on your shoulders for the better part of an hour as you talk to the king and whom you have been otherwise playing with for several hours as you walked. Danal makes a monster noise and swooshes his stick through the air as if he was slaying another invisible monster.

Tudiya is the largest man you've ever seen... and based on Danal's actions so far, you may need to adjust your estimation of his age once again. He might be five or six?

"He says that people, Sweetling" your mother says.

See? If the king's son has a dog, I think it's appropriate for us to have a dog.

Beaky is the best name for any sidekick we have, up to and including other people. :colbert:

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Please, not beaky. Barky if you must, but not Beaky.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

EVG posted:

Please, not beaky. Barky if you must, but not Beaky.

Barky is another good alternative.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
Mini-vote 1: Name the dog Og
Mini-vote 2: No need to ask that question; the king already told us that believing in El is more powerful than etc etc. Obviously we don't need stupid rituals if we believe in El.

Ask: If Zepath is near enough the ocean to go swimming in, is there other water that can be used for swimming? Do you guys need a swimming teacher in Zepath?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ask what other kinds of cool animals there are in zepath, are there tortoises (please god let there be tortoises.