Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Trust me, you don't want OR for flight sims as of yet. It's so pixellated and the display isn't as groundbreaking as people tend to think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
So I got this yesterday, and somehow survived an epic Cessna flight from LOAN to LOAV.
Can you guys recommend me some reading that would help me in understanding this chart?

http://charts.vacc-austria.org/LOAV/LOAV_VFR_Sichtflugkarte_20082012.pdf

(Hi Hadlock!)

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Not sure where to find resources on reading charts like those, but it just looks like they're really over controlling their VFR pattern entry by naming entry points and defining paths of flight. They seem to be based off highway intersection landmarks. Points A, B and C are just standard traffic pattern points, as far as I can tell.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Diet Crack posted:

Trust me, you don't want OR for flight sims as of yet. It's so pixellated and the display isn't as groundbreaking as people tend to think.

I thought it was common knowledge the current kits are dev kits and of nearly terrible quality, with better kits theoretically planned for the future. Apparently that's not the case.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

The base of my TiR5 has gone MIA. Any suggestions for replacement or should i just pony up the $7 for the replacement base from naturalpoint?

Edit: I went on the Boeing factory tour today and it was pretty awesome. I have a few bad iPhone pictures of the gallery I can throw up later if anyone is interested.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
"This site that I'm uploading my mods to has a limit of 6 downloads per day, better upload my mod in 8 different parts!" -The rear end in a top hat Who Uploaded NATO Fighters 5+ To Combatace.com

You know, totally not bitter about this or anything

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Yeah, I should combine it as a torrent.

It's also because CA are a bunch of dicks and "dur hur max file size hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr", forcing mod creators to have to chop poo poo up.

EDIT: turns out I did for the last thread

Download torrent81 (1 file; 1.60 GB)
View torrent stats

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jun 3, 2013

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Create your own high res terrain for Prepar3D for free (USA only)

I'm downloading the USGS data for my local area to test the process out tonight. I'll report back when its done.

EDIT:
I'm getting a little ahead of myself and writing some programs to help me automate downloading an processing all the files that the National Map shits out. This will be an ongoing project, but I'll share what I end up with.

concise fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jun 4, 2013

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Sometimes, I hate FSX

2 miles from landing after a 1500 mile flight and this happens

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

Kilo you have too much poo poo open.

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

SwimNurd posted:

Kilo you have too much poo poo open.

Flight sims are the best.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
I've been practicing auto-rotation. I realize I'm not very good, but I think the game was just needlessly rubbing it in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daNUES2zGr8

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Kilonum posted:

Sometimes, I hate FSX

2 miles from landing after a 1500 mile flight and this happens

That's an expensive pretend plane :psyduck:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Nostratic posted:

That's an expensive pretend plane :psyduck:

It is awesome though. PMDG is the best. :spergin:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
PMDG comes off as spendy until you realize the depth of the simulation involved. They model drat near EVERYTHING. It's like having a professional sim on your PC.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
God, I just got DCS A10-C on Steam last night to have something to justify my X52 Pro... I am completely stumped at what to do. I think I accidently turned off my Starboard engine whilst trying to access the AGM-65s.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Step 0: Grab the code for it from steam, register on eagle dynamics actual website and download DCS World and the DCS A-10 module from there.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
Steam DCS is out of date. Eagle Dynamics and Valve didn't see eye to eye on things and stopped releasing updates for the Steam version. Follow Hobbesmaster's instructions and you'll be much happier with DCS World. You'll then be tempted with the other DCS modules, like the KA-50 blackshark, the P-51 mustang, and the Bell UH-1 Huey! Also, combined arms, if you want to take control of a AAA gun and try and shoot down your buddies.

YouTube has all sorts of tutorials for the A-10, and The Eagle Dynamics forums also has a ton of resources like printable key maps, and control profiles for the X52. Save's a bunch of time trying to program an entire HOTAS. ;)

I've been rather addicted to the Huey lately. I'm really, really sorry for making this, but gently caress Michael Knight and gently caress KITT. Airwolf is where it's at.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ83J9s-c00

Make sure to do the training missions for the A-10! They are full of important info, and get you used to using the HOTAS. Memorize how to do one thing at a time, and then you'll be able to put them all together without being completely overwhelmed.

Finally, Reddit has a virtual squadron of guys who fly missions regularly, and they are nice people (unlike most of Reddit). Tuesday night is their newbie night, you could learn a lot from pilots there. /r/hoggit has details. on servers and teamspeak stuff.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Loving my new processor!

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
Can I click all the switches in the cockpit? Looks beautiful.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

The biggest issue I have right now is that the X52 pro profiles won't register in the game. I've got the correct profiler software, and it shows the A-10C profile I downloaded but it doesn't register in game.

Also, I keep looking at the Track IR and I think I want/need it considering how many sim type games I play, such as ArmA, Racing sims and the occasional flight game.

So I want to download the 5 files in DCS World, and then the single DCS A-10C module.

I'd really like to see a DCS AC130.

Falken fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 11, 2013

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
You shouldn't need to use the X52's configuration software at all if I recall correctly. There might have been a few things I did like colored lights or made the LCD say things when I pushed buttons, but DCS is fine with taking the raw inputs. Just map them in the controls setting of DCS. (I could be entirely wrong on this though. You should follow the instructions in the links.)

Controller configs are stored in LUA files that cover specific devices. You can save or load them into the game in settings > control

Let me repeat. In DCS, saving a profile only saves the profile for the highlighted device. It won't save it for all your devices. I have a LUA profile for my joystick, my throttle, and my rudders. 3 separate files, all need to be saved and loaded separately.

I've dug up some profiles for the x52 pro made by Iron of /r/Hoggit. You should start with them and tweak them to your liking.
http://www.dropbox.com/s/9uexeyebixo72qa/DCS%20World%20Iron%20profiles%201.2.2.zip
http://wiki.hoggit.us/view/Iron%27s_X-52_PRO_Profile_for_A-10C

Get a TrackIR 5. DCS is a different game with head tracking. You don't really need the Trackclip Pro unless you are in a room with mirrors behind you. The IR beams from the TrackIR camera bounce off the mirror or reflective surface behind you and give false returns, which makes the tracking bug out. The track clip pro avoids this problem by putting the IR LED's in the head mount shining towards the camera. TrackIR is always effected by bright natural light so you might have to close your blinds (who am I kidding we live in basements. we don't worry about natural light!). SAVE YOUR RECEIPT AND SALES SLIP FOR YOUR TRACK CLIP PROIf it breaks they will RMA you a new one but Naturalpoint is a stickler about proof of purchase.

edit: updated profiles to working links.

SocketSeven fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 11, 2013

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Okay, I am using Iron's NoHT profiles and whilst everything seems to work I cannot get the mouse stick on the throttle to move my view, despite having both the Joystick + Keyboard .lua files working and the profiler .pr0 file loaded too.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

What's the opinion on the saitek x52? I've got a line on one for like $75, but ive read some reviews on amazon talking about dead space and software incompatability that have me a bit leary.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Falken posted:

The biggest issue I have right now is that the X52 pro profiles won't register in the game. I've got the correct profiler software, and it shows the A-10C profile I downloaded but it doesn't register in game.

Also, I keep looking at the Track IR and I think I want/need it considering how many sim type games I play, such as ArmA, Racing sims and the occasional flight game.

So I want to download the 5 files in DCS World, and then the single DCS A-10C module.

I'd really like to see a DCS AC130.

I think we agreed in DCS KC-135 last thread.

edit: I think E-3 would be a good option. "magic bra 666 for 69" "chevy 1, contact is pubbie"

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jun 11, 2013

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

The Bananana posted:

What's the opinion on the saitek x52? I've got a line on one for like $75, but ive read some reviews on amazon talking about dead space and software incompatability that have me a bit leary.

That's an okay price for one, I'd say.

I went through two x52's in a week due to both of them having spiking instability on multiple axes (the dials and slider on the throttle were particularly bad). I was buying them at a Fry's Electronics specifically so I didn't have to deal with shipping them back if they weren't 100%. I ended up trying every one of the x52's they had in stock (all 2 of them) and the only thing left was an x52pro, which was, at the time, I think 75 bucks more. I needed a flightstick right then, so I bought it.

After only a couple of weeks it started spiking as well. I shipped the throttle off to Saitek and they replaced it. About 6 months later it started to suffer from "sticktion" where the friction of the disc that moves around at the base of the flight stick rubs in such a way that at random moments of movement it feels like it is grabbing the stick, forcing you to push harder than you want to, further forcing you to over correct whatever movement you just made. Truly frustrating, especially when the thing that the Saiteks excel at is the giant throw with low resistance.

I ended up re-buying a Logitech 3D Extreme Pro and coupled it with my x52pro throttle for most every game that uses a flightstick.

Long story short: There is no such thing as the perfect flight stick, so if you need one and can get a good deal on an x52, I'd say go for it. Just be ready to ship it off to Saitek for repairs/replacement in the first few weeks if their QA didn't notice whatever flaws it may have shipped with.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Essobie posted:

Just be ready to ship it off to Saitek for repairs/replacement in the first few weeks if their QA didn't notice whatever flaws it may have shipped with.

I appear to have gotten a fairly decent one, although I will say that the slider is a really lovely axis that I never really use, and the center detente on the rotational axes feels slight off, but generally speaking it's been a solid stick that has thus far totally failed to stop me augering the KA-50 into the ground. It's a bit of a money leap to the next level and I need to keep the helicopter in the air for a bit longer until I can justify it.

I've not gotten around to the magnet mod, either.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Only issues I had with my first X52 was the rudder and onr of the rotaries going completely dead.

After 6 years of almost daily use.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Conversely, mine died after a week.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Hmm... so about the same consistency of reviews on amazon. Some hail it as great, others as passable, and some decry it as the worst stick.
*sigh*
It seems to me saitek needs to up their QC.

This one is cheaper (new haggled price $90), but I'm buying off CL, i.e. no refund if I get a dud.
Should I pay more and buy from amazon in case it dies on me?
I should, shouldnt I? But lord knows part of me really hates passing on a *Deal*.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

The Bananana posted:

Should I pay more and buy from amazon in case it dies on me?

Yes! Do this! Saitek won't deal with you directly and always pass you back to the retailer. At least in my experience (UK).

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
How well does FSX run on AMD A8 and A10 quad cores?

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
I got bad X52 pro and a non pro. The non pro had loose wiring, and the throttle and all its buttons cut out whenever I advanced it; the lights and buttons turned back on 3 seconds later.
The X52 also has a mouse wheel. When you click buttons on the X52, the button you pressed is displayed on the LCD. Well, on my firmware of the x52, that LCD could only display 15 characters.
"middle mouse bttn" is longer then 15 characters. Pressing the scroll wheel button on it, would lock up the drivers and slow the entire system to a craw; unplugging the joystick would BSOD your machine. You had to make your way at 1FPS across the desktop and kill the control software with end task.

My X52pro was riddled with spiking pots, and the buttons felt worse then the X52, but had the decency to at least not BSOD when using the default profile included with the stick.

Saitek no longer exists.

Let me repeat this. Saitek no longer exists as a corporate entity.

Saitek was bought out by MadCatz inc in Novemer of 2007 for 30 million dollars. MadCatz also bought Joytech, in attempt to prevent competition. I've no doubt they would have bought Logitech if Logitech wasn't easily able to buy them.

MadCatz, is known universally for making the most god awful controllers ever to have graced mankind. The OUYA controllers have nothing on the poo poo that Mad Catz puts out.

It must have taken some years, but MadCatz's "make everything cheap as hell and don't bother with QA" attitude has finally permeated the dying husk of Saiteks Corporate culture.

Unfortunately, there is nothing else on the market for the price point. At all. Keep all your receipts and documentation and be ready for RMA fights. Do not accept anything less then perfection from their gear. RMA it if the drat thing is scuffed.

MadCatz has basically monopolized the HOTAS sector below $400 They aren't the best choice, they are the ONLY choice. :smithicide:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'm looking at updating my hotas with the Thrustmaster Warthog setup. Is there any interest here for a Saitek X65 here?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

holocaust bloopers posted:

I'm looking at updating my hotas with the Thrustmaster Warthog setup. Is there any interest here for a Saitek X65 here?

Depends on the price point, I may have some extra cash soon.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

SocketSeven posted:

MadCatz has basically monopolized the HOTAS sector below $400 They aren't the best choice, they are the ONLY choice. :smithicide:

Is there a 3D printed joystick community project yet in the flightsim community?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

holocaust bloopers posted:

The Saigek X65 is a pressure-sensor stick. Great at simulating an F-16 side stick. Terrible at everything else.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

MrYenko posted:

The Saigek X65 is a pressure-sensor stick. Great at simulating an F-16 side stick. Terrible at everything else.

It's actually a pretty great fixed-wing stick. I say that not as someone looking to sell that but genuinely. I do a lot of helo flying stuff which it's not very good at.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfqsl0xQ34E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

SocketSeven posted:

MadCatz, is known universally for making the most god awful controllers ever to have graced mankind. The OUYA controllers have nothing on the poo poo that Mad Catz puts out.

Wait a minute, hold on there....