Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sintor
Jul 23, 2007
So I tried to give it a shot, got an account made, and got it all installed. Every time I hit Play, I get a BSOD after GameGuard starts up referencing dump_wmimmc.sys, which is a GameGuard process. I've disabled (even uninstalled) my AV, to no avail. Kinda stumped on this one, it's definitely not RAM as apparently lots of people over time get blue screens with GG referencing that system file. Any thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I don't even seem to have that SYS file, in my PSO2 GameGuard directory nor anywhere else on my system. Unless GG only creates it when executed and then deletes it when PSO2 terminates..

Also if you aren't in Nol Vancancy, you should be, for the following:

Sitting around in the team room messing with the word filter instead of playing

Synchronized lobby dancing while waiting for Emergency Quests to commence

Quest counter gangbangs when the EQ commences

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jun 1, 2013

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Not mentioned or pictured: Leaving me to die in a Funji trap in order to be in that dance party.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Infinity Gaia posted:

Not mentioned or pictured: Leaving me to die in a Funji trap in order to be in that dance party.

:v:

That was hilarious, I honest to god saw that whirling red nexus come up behind you as I clicked yes to return to the campship. I was trying to think of what to do, because I didn't know if jumping back through the teleporter would start the mission over or what and then Dawnfire was all "KIRBY THERE'S DANCING" and uh.. well you made it out eventually, right? :ohdear:

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

Best way to mess with the word filter is to go to pso2_bin/data/win32 and delete the file " ffbff2ac5b7a7948961212cefd4d402 "

That deletes it and the game doesn't even care the file no longer exists, letting you see all the swears.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Tengames posted:

Best way to mess with the word filter is to go to pso2_bin/data/win32 and delete the file " ffbff2ac5b7a7948961212cefd4d402 "

That deletes it and the game doesn't even care the file no longer exists, letting you see all the swears.

So we were told, but it's kind of amusing how bad the filter is anyways. As you can see from the screenshot, it totally ignored plurals, which is an amazing oversight. Though I guess it's fair since this wasn't exactly supposed to be played by people who would swear in english anyways.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
How do I download the game? The link on the official page (http://download.pso2.jp/downloader.exe) gives me a connection error.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Infinity Gaia posted:

So we were told, but it's kind of amusing how bad the filter is anyways. As you can see from the screenshot, it totally ignored plurals, which is an amazing oversight. Though I guess it's fair since this wasn't exactly supposed to be played by people who would swear in english anyways.

I think a few plurals are in the swear list, but its most likely done that way so you don't have it block words like "assembly" and "screwdriver"

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Spontaneous dance parties are the best dance parties. I also like that I'm the one you mimicked here.

kirbysuperstar posted:

:v:

That was hilarious, I honest to god saw that whirling red nexus come up behind you as I clicked yes to return to the campship. I was trying to think of what to do, because I didn't know if jumping back through the teleporter would start the mission over or what and then Dawnfire was all "KIRBY THERE'S DANCING" and uh.. well you made it out eventually, right? :ohdear:

As I mention in the image you took, true goons value dancing over friends. :colbert:

It's absolutely great that a bunch of goons are getting into this game again. It's nice to have people to play this with. It also is just such great timing with me and some other goons giving the game another go.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

Tengames posted:

I think a few plurals are in the swear list, but its most likely done that way so you don't have it block words like "assembly" and "screwdriver"
but it is set up to block "assgoblin" and "sugoiasfuck", among other things...

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

How about 'sugoiassfuck'? :v: I finally got rid of my random crashes by outright uninstalling zonealarm. Machine doesn't run nearly as hot while playing anymore either. Guess GG and ZA would spend most of the time dueling with each other. Guess GG won out since I eliminated the other program in order to be able to play. Did two of the new AQs last night/this morning. Dunno how I got to 60 with a class without playing these, so much more exp than virtually anything else.

Herb Stencil
Oct 22, 2012

Bonafide Homosaxual
How should I go about joining NV, just message the team leader in game?

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

The Singing Chav posted:

Dunno how I got to 60 with a class without playing these, so much more exp than virtually anything else.

MPA exit cross bursts in Free Explore Ruins/Sanctum or pretty much any EQ can be incredibly effective, if you had been doing those.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."
Just to expand on that a bit, there's a particular Emergency Trial that pretty much guarantees a multiple cross burst if you complete it, and there are also weather conditions (rainbow stuff) that make it a lot easier to trigger PSE level ups. When you see the rippling rainbow screen effect, that means that you can trigger the Protect the Crystals Emergency Trial by running around the map until you trip it. It starts off with two crystals, eventually increasing to six, and if two are destroyed, you fail. If you succeed, PSE levels cannot drop, and the chance of triggering PSE level ups is greatly increased. SOP is to have everyone on the map bunch up in one location with a dead end behind it, usually the map entrance or exit, so that all of the firepower is focused in one direction, dramatically increasing kill speed and forcing respawns for huge XP gains. If everyone does what they're supposed to, you get a bunch of XP and items. Using a 75% ticket during a maxed out cross burst can get you 2-300K XP depending on which area you're in.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Herb Stencil posted:

How should I go about joining NV, just message the team leader in game?

Add yourself to the list in the OP and friend some people on the list. If you add me, I can get you on since I'm on very frequently. Also can hop onto the IRC and just ask there as well. You'll have to meet with the person in person on the same block to be invited in, as far as I know.

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!
Made an account about 5-7 days ago, man this game is so much better since I last played, which was pretty much early beta.

I made a Newman force and I am (for the first time in my online gaming experience) having a absolute blast. So is Zan as amazingly good as I think it is or am I just too dazzled by the amount of swirling blades of death?

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

animaCartographer posted:

I made a Newman force and I am (for the first time in my online gaming experience) having a absolute blast. So is Zan as amazingly good as I think it is or am I just too dazzled by the amount of swirling blades of death?

Zan is good at the start but starts to fall behind pretty quick. You'll want to go down the Lightning and Fire trees in Force (get PP Charge Revival ASAP), and if you decide to go Techer it's very unlikely that you'll get anywhere near the Wind tree for a very long time (there are two very good abilities under Light, and one particularly useful cooldown under Dark, whereas Wind doesn't have anything to even look forward to).

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

Skill trees aside, there's also the problem that currently, there is only one enemy in the entire game that is weak to wind but not also weak to fire, and it's rare boss enemy. That may change going forward, but unless the tweak the Techter skill tree to put something really good on the wind branch, it's just not going to be worthwhile.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I'm hoping the third species of Darker will be weak to light/wind, and hopefully the new Chimera type of enemy on Vopar/Wopal will be weak to wind as well. I can see none of this happening, though. The marine enemies are probably all weak to thunder, too.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

Well, rumor has it that the new darkers are avian-themed, so wind weakness sounds thematically appropriate. Making the regular monsters weak to ice would be nice, but the Ice tree for Forces is still garbage because Photon Flare is a terrible skill.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Protocol 5 posted:

Well, rumor has it that the new darkers are avian-themed, so wind weakness sounds thematically appropriate. Making the regular monsters weak to ice would be nice, but the Ice tree for Forces is still garbage because Photon Flare is a terrible skill.

On top of the Ice tree being garbage, the other two trees are incredibly good and the Fire/Lightning schools have incredibly useful spells as is.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

Yeah, it's really no contest. I personally feel that Lightning still edges out Fire just based on the excellent utility of Zondeel. You still want to invest a bunch of points in the Fire tree for Tech Charge Advance I+II, but the straightforward "blast it til it stops moving" nature of all the Fire spells limits them tactically. That said, Sa Foie is really nice to have in the City AQ, since as long as it's cast through a talisman, it removes the dead angles, including vertically.

Adding more wind and ice weak enemies would at least mean that you could convince yourself that it isn't absolutely necessary to change the elemental damage type on your weapons as soon as you can afford to.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Protocol 5 posted:

They might be, but the birds that had their models found in the game's client are actually called Chimeras for some reason. The mdels don't look like Darkers either.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

We should be seeing a more detailed preview for the major update soon enough. They're doing that fan appreciation day thing next week, so I figure they'll show off more stuff then.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I have been hankering to play a truly lovely game recently, and this looks anime as gently caress. I have a few questions!

1) I was watching a bunch of the class videos. Basically, I am coming from Guild Wars 2 and would like to jump around like a demented maniac shooting guns at things. Gonna assume that Gunner is a good class choice for this?

2) The MAG poo poo looks really confusing and I have literally never played any PSO-related game. I tried to read the MAG guide but honestly it's opaque as hell for new players. What is the best way to not screw this up?

On the bright side I live in Japan so the client download is really fast :v:

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Kessel posted:

I have been hankering to play a truly lovely game recently, and this looks anime as gently caress. I have a few questions!

1) I was watching a bunch of the class videos. Basically, I am coming from Guild Wars 2 and would like to jump around like a demented maniac shooting guns at things. Gonna assume that Gunner is a good class choice for this?

2) The MAG poo poo looks really confusing and I have literally never played any PSO-related game. I tried to read the MAG guide but honestly it's opaque as hell for new players. What is the best way to not screw this up?

On the bright side I live in Japan so the client download is really fast :v:

1: Gunner or ranger, You'll have to level ranger first to unlock Gunner anyway.

2: Pick which class and subclass you're going to play, and feed it weapons from that to raise thier attack stats. When the ABL/Dex stat starts getting too high (how much is too much is up to you), just alternate between feeding weapons and which ever healing item raises the attack you want.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Is there a mirror of the installer somewhere? I'm guessing something is just fundamentally wrong in the workings of my internet connection, and I keep getting 12031 errors when trying to download the game. I've found a couple links on the bumped.org blog but they're all labeled "old client."

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Is there any non-obvious reason to use the shooter mode over the lock-on system besides "it's more fun"?

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Kessel posted:

Is there any non-obvious reason to use the shooter mode over the lock-on system besides "it's more fun"?

Hitting enemy weak points is not always possible/practical when using the lock-on system. You can, for instance, only lock on to a Rockbear's body, but their face is their weak point. This is especially important when applying Weak Bullet.

Also pretty much every enemy with a face has its weak point there but you don't often get the option to target it (Oodans, Gulfs, Sa/Dinians, etc etc).

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Kessel posted:

Rangers can get headshots on some enemies for more damage, and some bosses have weakpoints or breakable parts you can't lock on to. Forces can also use it to aim their talis somewhere for casting techs.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

kirbysuperstar posted:

Also if you aren't in Nol Vancancy, you should be, for the following:

Quest counter gangbangs when the EQ commences

Stuck this in the OP, mainly to draw more attention to getting people into Nol, but also because I could use screenshots that are not from before people could actually play the game. :v:

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

The headshot bonus damage only applies to guns, with a few exceptions where the head is also a weakpoint (bosses mainly). A key point for getting headshots with Addition Bullet is to jump, fire a regular shot, then JA Addition Bullet. AB is a hitscan attack with a cone-shaped hitbox that will damage whatever part is closest to you. If you're in mid-air, arms or whatever is out front will be below the hitbox, so you'll land all your shots straight to their face. This also means you'll want to keep enough distance to avoid landing the kick, since the follow up shots will end up hitting the feet/body when the target gets knocked back.

One of the best examples of a boss with a bunch of breakables that require the use of 3PS mode is Zeshrader. You can break his leg and arm armor, as well as his four back cannons, but you can only lock on to his head or main body. As a tech user, you can switch to 3PS and zap those back cannons with Zonde to destroy them easily.

There are some situations where 3PS mode or just not locking on is beneficial in melee as well. For example, locking on to an El Arda looks like you're locked on to the core, but your attacks will actually land above it. However, if you do unlocked Speed Reign or Slide End (for example) your attacks will be more likely to hit the core directly for much higher damage. This also works on De Marmos' hump with proper positioning (get right up next to him and jump) as well as Wolgada's eyespots.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Protocol 5 posted:

locking on to an El Arda looks like you're locked on to the core, but your attacks will actually land above it. However, if you do unlocked Speed Reign or Slide End (for example) your attacks will be more likely to hit the core directly for much higher damage. This also works on De Marmos' hump with proper positioning (get right up next to him and jump) as well as Wolgada's eyespots.

For El Arda, it actually has 2 lock on targets, its weakpoint, and its center point right above it, using the tabkey/the right analogue stick will let you switch lock on spots. Almost all darkers with the exception of Hunar and Gu/Ga wondas have a seperate lock on point for their weakspot.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

Nah, I know that, but with the way they move and how melee hit boxes work, you often end up missing the weakpoint even when you're locked on to it. Jumping helps, but that changes PA animations, so it may not be desirable. For some reason, when you're not locked on, melee attack hit detection seems to prioritize weakspots and breakables. It's counterintuitive but there it is. A good example is Fang Banshee/Banther; PAs will prioritize unbroken parts over broken parts.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

I found a bunch of Nols in B4 yesterday and added 'em to my flist. :3: Staying with NA but wish the best of luck to my fellow goons. o/

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Protocol 5 posted:

A good example is Fang Banshee/Banther; PAs will prioritize unbroken parts over broken parts.

This is the worst thing because you can lock on to their head and Rafoie will hit their unbroken claws still, even if their head has a Weak Bullet on it (which should just gain #1 autotarget priority in situations like this).

e:

MR. J posted:

Just use grants if you are bumrushing banther's face. It has 100% accuracy and follows its target. That is, if you're using techs. :v:

Oh I know to just use Grants, but it's annoying that we can't use what should be our highest ranged DPS ability on them (Foie can be too inconsistent because of how much they jump around).

Umberger fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 3, 2013

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

Umberger posted:

This is the worst thing because you can lock on to their head and Rafoie will hit their unbroken claws still, even if their head has a Weak Bullet on it (which should just gain #1 autotarget priority in situations like this).
Just use grants if you are bumrushing banther's face. It has 100% accuracy and follows its target. That is, if you're using techs. :v:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Heavy neutrino posted:

Is there a mirror of the installer somewhere? I'm guessing something is just fundamentally wrong in the workings of my internet connection, and I keep getting 12031 errors when trying to download the game. I've found a couple links on the bumped.org blog but they're all labeled "old client."

I ended up using Hotspot Shield to download it via a US proxy, and that worked fine. No idea why.

:iiam:

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
gently caress I just use Safoie on banthers :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

There's a bunch of options for melee depending on whether or not you want to break all the parts. Wise Stance and a Partisan or Wired Lance will let you smash the ankle plates from beyond the range of it's rear leg sweep pretty easily. If you just want to drop it fast, go Brave Stance and buzzsaw it's face off with charged Deadly Archer or build up sword gear to 3 and drop a leaping JA Over End :fuckoff:

• Locked thread