Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Eugh, sorry for the double post, but I didn't feel editing it into the previous post was the best way to have it seen. I was reading about how both Walter Jones and David Yost have declared they will not have anything to do with Super Megaforce and I noticed this at the end of the article.

Huffington Post posted:

"Power Rangers Megaforce" follows the Power Rangers as they battle the evil Warstar aliens. The series stars Ciara Hanna, Christina Masterson, Andrew Gray, Azim Rizk, John Mark Loudermilk and Robo Knight.

The kayfabe is thick here. A whole bunch of real people "and Robo Knight" :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

JT Smiley posted:

The Zyurangers were all poorly developed, because the show spent more time focusing on the random kids than the actual heroes. As far as I can tell, Geki was an idiot, Mei was a girl who had dress up powers, Boi was a ninja, and the other two are just there. Oh and the megazord is alive and a total rear end in a top hat.

I'm sure plenty of people will disagree with me, but I think the first season of MMPR is actually better than Zyuranger. Not that I think MMPR holds up that well, just that Zyuranger is pretty mediocre overall.

The original attempt to adapt Super Sentai was using Jetman iirc.

But on MMPR, how do you feel about Super Sentai's lack of Battlizers? I though Toei wanted to sell plastic? One of those quirky "regional incentives"? I would love to see for instance The Shinkengers receive GoShinken forms as a "legendary upgrade". Hell there are Power Ranger only villains as well.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

gyrobot posted:

They were going to, but then Saban saw that the next season would be loving DINOSAURS, and smartly decided to hold off.

Though I do wish that Jetman had been the basis for Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, because oh my god imagine how people checking out Jetman out of nostalgia for Power Rangers would react to that series.

Edit: I think Battleizers are made because they want to have PR-original in-suit footage, and pay for the cost of it by having it be done mainly with PR-exclusive toys.
The PR-exclusive villains (who are always actors with their faces exposed rather than stuntmen in suits, Zedd being the obvious exception) are often done because the production team decides to diverge from the story of the Sentai they're adapting in some way.
These two things often intersect. Any time past the Upgrade Point of the season where there's a fight with a PR=exclusive villain, you bet your poo poo that the Battleizer is getting used.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 07:27 on May 25, 2013

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!

gyrobot posted:

Nah, it was Bioman.

http://powerrangers.wikia.com/wiki/Bio-Man

They filmed a pilot, but it didn't go to series. So Zyuranger was the third try at an adaptation—just the first one that stuck. I would have loved to have seen a Jetman Power Rangers series, though... anything is better with Jetman.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

toomanyninjas posted:

Nah, it was Bioman.

http://powerrangers.wikia.com/wiki/Bio-Man

They filmed a pilot, but it didn't go to series. So Zyuranger was the third try at an adaptation—just the first one that stuck. I would have loved to have seen a Jetman Power Rangers series, though... anything is better with Jetman.

That's pretty interesting. Did the Bioman pilot ever get shown? A quick youtube search doesn't turn up anything.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Nope, we didn't even know of it until a year ago when someone trawled through the LA Times online archive and read a short blurb about it in the upcoming shows section. Apparently it would have been a straight dub instead of a remake. This also explains why Saban had those Bioman clips in the MMPR pilot (which did leak.)

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Soooo.... JDF has some pretty interesting photos up on his facebook page this morning. :stare:

We all knew he would be in Super Megaforce anyway, but he's rockin' the Dragon Shield finally. :dance:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Soooo.... JDF has some pretty interesting photos up on his facebook page this morning. :stare:

We all knew he would be in Super Megaforce anyway, but he's rockin' the Dragon Shield finally. :dance:

Crosspostin'

He'll probably post more. Didn't they just start filming the cameo roles today?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

In space cast members. :woop:

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

SpazmasterX posted:

He'll probably post more. Didn't they just start filming the cameo roles today?

I wonder what's up with all those people with strange hoods in the back. The red Operation Overdrive guy looks... old.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Fred is on posted:

I wonder what's up with all those people with strange hoods in the back. The red Operation Overdrive guy looks... old.

Those are the suit actors. They're probably doing some checks before actually filming. I think JDF just likes striking a pose when he's in suit, or he knew the picture was being taken. :v:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Here's another filming pic someone posted over in the Toku thread. Good god Carter got old, haha

Dr Tran posted:

If you think Wes looks old

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I find it really awkward how they interest-checked 60 Rangers from 20 years of the franchise, picked ten of the lot, and then chose multiple actors from the same shows. Two from Samurai, two from Lightspeed, two from In Space, two from Lost Galaxy? Plus Wes from Time Force, and Tommy from Every Season Ever with the inaccurate helmet :supaburn:. What the gently caress, man. At least Gokaiger had the excuse of many older actors being retired, or in some rare cases dead, and they still managed to get a dude from nearly every series by the end. (Shouji aged poorly, perhaps he should have sat it out.)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Gokaiger had the advantage of a presumably larger budget and more importantly being in a small country where everyone at most is a few train rides or a short plain ride away.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

They could at least try to get the guys from New Zealand. They could get a lot of the late season actors.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Liar Lyre posted:

They could at least try to get the guys from New Zealand. They could get a lot of the late season actors.

I'm not sure if they can since I'm assuming Saban hired non-union as usual and Disney hires union.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Tae posted:

I'm not sure if they can since I'm assuming Saban hired non-union as usual and Disney hires union.

Surely there's some way around that, especially for a one-off like an anniversary special.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

jivjov posted:

Surely there's some way around that, especially for a one-off like an anniversary special.

I suspect the assorted unions don't have a "anniversary special" clause, but I might be wrong.

I bet most people have seen this, but one time I randomly stumbled upon a series of youtube videos at a PR convention, with the guys who played Bulk and Skull in the original series. A lot of funny stories about the production, and Jason Narvy discussing his opinion on the true nation of Shakespearean soliloquies is something I never thought I'd see:

The whole playlist, including ones I haven't watched

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

MisterBibs posted:

I suspect the assorted unions don't have a "anniversary special" clause, but I might be wrong.

Oh I know there isn't a special clause, but since its a one-off, I would think that everyone involved could sit down and negotiate out a one-time thing.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

Jason Narvy discussing his opinion on the true nation of Shakespearean soliloquies is something I never thought I'd see:

I believe you mean Professor Jason Narvy, Ph.D. :colbert:

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Jason Frank is actually a cool dude, he was in attendance for my first professional MMA bout a couple of years ago. Great dude, pretty mediocre fighter.

Also, am I correct in my belief that the Green and White Ranger film used in the American shows was from another Sentai series entirely removed from the one the American version was based on?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The Green ranger was the 6th ranger from Zyuranger, the show Mighty Morphin was based on.

The White ranger was from Dairanger. That suit and the Zords got used in the later seasons of Mighty Morphin, but the rest of the team kept the Zyuranger suits.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Green Ranger was Dragonranger from Zyuranger, which was the show the first season of MMPR was based off. White Ranger was Kibaranger from Dairanger, which is where the Thunderzords in the second season came from.

Kibaranger was a ten-year-old boy.

e: I provided a picture, suck it :smug:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Kibaranger was a ten-year-old boy.

And that is why Tommy-as-White-Ranger was so hyper and jumped around a lot. The sentai footage was of a character who was 10 years old but got to fight in an adult-sized body. (You'll note that they reused the "kid becomes adult sized" thing for Justin, the Blue Turbo Ranger)

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I can only assume they kept the Zyuranger suits for so long because Daigo's suit is green and they didn't want to confuse kids when Zack's black outfit changed colours and no one else did. And then they skipped Kakuranger, which did have a black costume and no green, finally changing costumes in Zeo which did not have black but had green instead :v: Their insistance on a continuity between seasons hosed them over hard for splicing random things together and hoping it came out coherantly, when Sentai mostly just shrugs and goes "totally new universe" every year, with some notable exceptions.

Also, Shouji is the best Dairanger and those costumes are pretty cool. And the Gouma generals are amazing, being themed after fasteners :allears:

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

And then they skipped Kakuranger, which did have a black costume and no green

And no Pink.

And only 5 costumes.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Uh, Ninjaman, hello? They could have just upgraded Alpha 5 into a whole new robot!

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Uh, Ninjaman, hello? They could have just upgraded Alpha 5 into a whole new robot!

Where would the 6th ranger go then? Would he just merge with Alpha?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Well, you gotta fire someone, and Haim Saban's distaste for David Yost hadn't quite hit the "screw him over constantly" phase it would hit in Zeo, so... get rid of Rocky? Then Tommy could be Red and they could have fun trying to explain away all the footage where Red's kind of an idiot and obviously not in charge.

Turning the robot buddy into a Battleizer (especially if it was Ninjaman, oh god) is something they only thought of with SPD, which I thought was a weird thing to import back to Japan for the Magiranger/Dekaranger movie. Murphy was Umeko's partner, don't take that from her, Ban :qq:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

I can only assume they kept the Zyuranger suits for so long because Daigo's suit is green and they didn't want to confuse kids when Zack's black outfit changed colours and no one else did. And then they skipped Kakuranger, which did have a black costume and no green, finally changing costumes in Zeo which did not have black but had green instead :v: Their insistance on a continuity between seasons hosed them over hard for splicing random things together and hoping it came out coherantly, when Sentai mostly just shrugs and goes "totally new universe" every year, with some notable exceptions.

Also, Shouji is the best Dairanger and those costumes are pretty cool. And the Gouma generals are amazing, being themed after fasteners :allears:

Yeah, the short version is they were running out of usable Zyuranger fight footage, but didn't want to change the characters too much, so they just started lifting Zord combat from Dairanger and Kakuranger while keeping Zyuranger suits around. They had to phase out Green though, since they didn't have much footage of him at all (in Zyuranger, Burai, the green ranger, lived in a cave and also later died mid-series, so there wasn't a whole lot of stuff they could use)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Technically all the Kakuranger suits were used in Power Rangers. The 5 main Kakurangers became the Alien Rangers and Ninjaman became Ninjor.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jun 1, 2013

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Aquatarians aren't even people, they don't count.

The Morphin Grid is for humans, the way Zordon intended.

Surly Duff
May 6, 2007

Surly only looks out for one guy -- Surly.

Don't forget what a megahit MMPR was when it came out. Saban suddenly had a #1 property on their hands whose brand identity was wrapped up in the Zyuranger suits. It's easy to understand the editing nightmare later seasons became when viewed through this lens.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I finished watching all of Dairanger tonight. I thought Dekaranger was poorly written, but Dairanger... oh my god. What the gently caress was that bullshit? Fifty episodes and Shadam was a loving clay doll the entire time? And so were Gara, Zaidos, and Emperor Gouma? What was the point of any of this? :psyduck:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

What was the point of any of this? :psyduck:

To sell some toys to Japanese children :ssh:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

I thought Dekaranger was poorly written
Well the problem is that you're watching TV-N subs. Unless someone else did Dekaranger.

Also Dairanger is worth it for the suitless rollcall. First time it was done, still hasn't been matched.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jun 2, 2013

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Oh? The guys at TV-Nihon are the ones who wrote Dekaranger? poo poo, I gotta give that group credit, who knew a half-dozen guys on the internet had the budget to film a tv show in Japan? :what:

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Oh? The guys at TV-Nihon are the ones who wrote Dekaranger? poo poo, I gotta give that group credit, who knew a half-dozen guys on the internet had the budget to film a tv show in Japan? :what:

They probably screwed up a lot of the dialogue. You're better off watching SPD.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Watching subs you have to realize it isn't always correct and cultural differences can come into play as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Reading this thread has got me into a Power Rangers kick.

That said, I found this old article that I remember reading before, discussing some of the behind the scenes events concerning Turbo through Time Force. I'm not sure how accurate it is, but it's still interesting.

Man Versus Sentai