Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

I think I might have a problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Futo is cool because she straight up murdered her friend and got away with it.

Wow a lot of people brought this point up.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Holy poo poo. Yeah I'd unironically play as that Touhou every chance I get.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Don't forget that Futo may or may not be the mother of Tojiko (or at least the person Futo was based on was the mother of the person Tojiko was based on, who in turn was the wife of the dude Miko was based on).

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Don't forget that Futo may or may not be the mother of Tojiko (or at least the person Futo was based on was the mother of the person Tojiko was based on, who in turn was the wife of the dude Miko was based on).

It's not often that I wonder if ZUN can surpass the level of drunken insanity that is Imperishable Night. Now that I'm actually sitting down and thinking about the TD crew, however... :magical:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

KataraniSword posted:

It's not often that I wonder if ZUN can surpass the level of drunken insanity that is Imperishable Night. Now that I'm actually sitting down and thinking about the TD crew, however... :magical:

I don't think it's drunken insanity.
I think ZUN's blood-alcohol level count overflows. His work is the product of debilitating lucidity.

Ranpire
Nov 6, 2012
So there's a DDC TAS up on Nicovideo that reveals the limit on the scoring system: there's a hard cap of 30 extends for the whole game. After that, the fragment counts change to read ***/***, and although heart pieces continue to spawn, they will no longer add to your stock.

Bomb pieces do keep working, even though their counter display is removed. They might stop working after 30 bomb extends, who knows, but that doesn't seem testable in the demo.

Assuming the later stages are somewhat longer and have more items available, it seems like score runs should be able to hit this life cap with all characters. So there is a limit to the insanity, and Marisa B seems significantly less "broken" in comparison, though she's still probably the best for scoring due to being able to blow everything to increase PIV so early.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
Haven't seen it posted yet, but as good as the HM arranges are, Kokoro's theme completely knocks them out of the park.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I like how Nitori has become the arrogant piece of poo poo they said she was in Symposium of Post-mysticism.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Dinky Duck Race posted:

I like how Nitori has become the arrogant piece of poo poo they said she was in Symposium of Post-mysticism.

Wasn't she already an arrogant piece of poo poo in Subterranean Animism? Most of it is her insulting people behind their backs. Except when Yuugi calls her out and she suddenly gets very timid.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Clarste posted:

Wasn't she already an arrogant piece of poo poo in Subterranean Animism? Most of it is her insulting people behind their backs. Except when Yuugi calls her out and she suddenly gets very timid.

I think any sane person would suddenly get very timid when an oni calls them on their poo poo.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

KataraniSword posted:

Oh man, that's nothing. Since the Daoists are based on real-life people, you can bring in all sorts of Historical drama, half of which is legendary anyway (since it happened so far in the past). For instance, did you know the real-life Futo was "Futsuhime" of the Mononobe clan, who was married to Soga no Umako despite the rivalry between the Mononobe Clan and the Soga Clan? Futsuhime was the younger sister of the Mononobe's leader Mononobe no Moriya, who like Umako was an influential courtier with Prince Shotoku's uncle and father (both Emperors of Japan). Umako was able to have his and Futsu's daughters married into positions of prestige,including Tojiko no Iratsume (inspiration for Tojiko, of course) who was married to Prince Shotoku Taishi (who was apparently Miko). Shotoku sought to unify Japan under a single religion, Buddhism (according to Touhou, this was for Miko's own ends as she really practiced Daoism), and was heavily aided by the Soga Clan. Mononobe no Moriya and the Mononobe Clan opposed Buddhism, and rebelled against Shotoku. In the Battle of Shigisan (AKA the "Teibi Incident") Soga no Umako killed Mononobe no Moriya and much of the Mononobe Clan.

However, according to legend (AKA truth in Gensokyo) Futsuhime had turned traitor against the Mononobe, and collaborated with her husband Umako against them. She came up with the plot that allowed Umako to murder Moriya.

Other historical accounts label Futsuhime as the wife of Emperor Sushun, the uncle of Prince Shotoku. Emperor Sushun was rumored to have been assassinated on the orders of Soga no Umako, who was worried the Emperor would turn against him. Oh, and the consort of Sushun was Umako's daughter and Tojiko's sister. In any case, Sushun was succeeded by Empress Suiko, during whose reign Prince Shotoku served as Prince Regent

About 20 years after the deaths of Soga no Umako and Prince Shotoku, The Soga Clan had grown strong enough that they threatened the power of the reigning Emperor. In response, Nakatomi no Kamatari conspired with the then current Crown Prince to kill the heir to the Soga line. The Nakatomi Clan had earlier allied with the Mononobe Clan to stop the spread of Buddhism, but had been defeated alongside Mononobe no Moriya by Soga no Umako. Kamatari was successful in killing the Soga heir, and the clan's leader, Soga no Emishi committed suicide soon after by setting his palace on fire. The clan's power was broken up and their followers scattered and killed. This allowed the Emperor to centralize power in the Imperial Court. As thanks for Nakatomi no Kamatari's help, the Emperor gave him a new Clan name: Fujiwara.

It was said the the newly christened Fujiwara no Kamatari was killed by a bolt of lighting, as part of a curse laid down by the Soga clan. The Touhou character Tojiko, as I'm sure you remember, uses thunderbolt danmaku. Kamatari was succeeded by his son, Fujiwara no Fuhito, who is speculated to be who the father of (you guessed it) Fujiwara no Mokou is based on.

TL;DR summary: Futo had her husband kill her brother who shared Suwako's namesake. Later, Tojiko murdered Mokou's grandfather out of revenge. The Daoists may be the most metal in Gensokyo, but I doubt they're the most popular.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It's pretty funny how every other Touhou faction is, at most, morally neutral and just not thinking too hard of the consequences of their actions.

Meanwhile the Daoists are literal supervillans.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Ammat The Ankh posted:

TL;DR summary: Futo had her husband kill her brother who shared Suwako's namesake. Later, Tojiko murdered Mokou's grandfather out of revenge. The Daoists may be the most metal in Gensokyo, but I doubt they're the most popular.

For the record, there's also a theory (not taken very seriously by historians) that Fujiwara no Fuhito was the same person as Hieda no Are, because the Fujiwaras owned a village named Hieda, and they were the exact same age. Hieda no Are is of course Akyuu's original life before she started reincarnating. But even if they weren't the same person, Akyuu probably knew Mokou's father personally since they hung out in the Imperial Court at around the same time.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Dr Pepper posted:

It's pretty funny how every other Touhou faction is, at most, morally neutral and just not thinking too hard of the consequences of their actions.

Eientei is a moon criminal asylum set up by a selfish murderer who gets away with it because she is some kind of Super Moon God.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Dinky Duck Race posted:

Eientei is a moon criminal asylum set up by a selfish murderer who gets away with it because she is some kind of Super Moon God.

Kanako's also trying to actively cultivate a dangerous place to live because it's easier to gather faith when people are worried.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Dinky Duck Race posted:

Really the Lunarians are kind of jerks so I totally support Kaguya winning over those punks.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Dr Pepper posted:

Really the Lunarians are kind of jerks so I totally support Kaguya winning over those punks.

Yeah, but Eirin and Kaguya are jerks too

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It really says a lot for the whole place when the faction with the most blatantly unholy beings in it headed by the self proclaimed ancestor of Vlad the Impaler is the group least likely to gently caress you over.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Specter posted:

It really says a lot for the whole place when the faction with the most blatantly unholy beings in it headed by the self proclaimed ancestor of Vlad the Impaler is the group least likely to gently caress you over.

Seeing this actually written out makes me laugh.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Specter posted:

Doesn't Remilia claim to be Vlad's daughter, though?

And Reimu doesn't seem to be the sort to screw you over either :colbert:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Specter posted:

Hey now! The three-youkai faction headed by what can only be described as "Yog-Sothoth with Nyarlathotep's sense of humor"? That one's not too dangerous either, except to people who aren't already in Gensokyo.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Meanwhile, our intrepid human protagonists are too busy spending their time on productive activities to gently caress anyone over:

(This is probably from FS chapter 7, but I can't find that so it's probably from the draft version)

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

HGH posted:

Meanwhile, our intrepid human protagonists are too busy spending their time on productive activities to gently caress anyone over:

(This is probably from FS chapter 7, but I can't find that so it's probably from the draft version)

Yeah, that's from my draft of FS 07, which is apparently making rounds on the internet somehow? Not entirely unexpected. It makes a bit more sense in context, but it was pretty fun to type that anyway.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
drat, getting popularity to 100% for a last word is pretty much impossible.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I've found it to be pretty easy on Story mode, mostly because the AI is pretty bad. VS wise, just get the first hit (automatic +10%), declare spells (another +10%), and counter a lot (+5% each time). Since popularity carries over between rounds, you'll hit 100% soon enough.

If you're wondering how to counter a lot, the answer is to pick Futo and spam her tornado every time anyone tries to melee you. Futo also has the worst Last Word though, so maybe Sanbondo TasoFro actually thought about this???

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 1, 2013

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

... Sanbondo?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

I've found it to be pretty easy on Story mode, mostly because the AI is pretty bad. VS wise, just get the first hit (automatic +10%), declare spells (another +10%), and counter a lot (+5% each time). Since popularity carries over between rounds, you'll hit 100% soon enough.

If you're wondering how to counter a lot, the answer is to pick Futo and spam her tornado every time anyone tries to melee you. Futo also has the worst Last Word though, so maybe Sanbondo actually thought about this???

You've been playing too much Fantasy Maiden Wars, dude.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Miko would make a good final boss for FMW 4. Better than Mamizou at any rate.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

On the topic of popularity, though, are there any lists or anything out there that detail what actions affect popularity in what way? Nerds tend to figure that stuff out pretty fast after all. All I know is that when I don't pay attention to popularity it tends to fluctuate pretty wildly in versus matches and I don't know what I'm doing differently any given moment.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

a cartoon duck posted:

You've been playing too much Fantasy Maiden Wars, dude.

Well the FMW3 demo did just come out. :downs:

Speaking of which, it's... kind of lame. Game-wise, I mean. It's just two chapters (and a bonus "gently caress it, go play around with these characters in a demo stage"), it still has FMW2's level cap and upgrade limit, and it's pretty buggy (there have been four patches since the demo came out). It's obviously Sanbondo just showing off the new UI and mechanics.

On the other hand, the Palaquin Ship is now a playable character. :getin:

a cartoon duck posted:

On the topic of popularity, though, are there any lists or anything out there that detail what actions affect popularity in what way?

I posted the only exact numbers I know earlier, but parrying and doing normal attack strings will also boost your popularity. Blocking, spamming projectiles, and getting beaten up will all decrease it.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 1, 2013

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
So, for the IN players in here, I've got a couple of cards that I just can not figure out how to do for the life of me. Been playing on hard trying to shake the rust off.

Mind Blast and Visionary Tuning (Reisen's Second and Third Cards)
Life Spring Infinity (Kaguya's Fourth Card)

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

legoman727 posted:

So, for the IN players in here, I've got a couple of cards that I just can not figure out how to do for the life of me. Been playing on hard trying to shake the rust off.

Mind Blast and Visionary Tuning (Reisen's Second and Third Cards)
Life Spring Infinity (Kaguya's Fourth Card)

Did you mean Reisen's first and second cards? 'cuz Mind Blowing is her first, but Idling Wave/Mind Stopper is her third.

Anyway, for Mind Blowing, I just do purely vertical dodging. I get between waves and just steadily move down and it generally works out okay.

http://replays.gensokyo.org/download.php?id=28584

For Visionary Tuning, I guess you just gotta work at being able to spot safe spots quickly? I also always invariably end up hugging the left side of the screen, so I dunno if that makes it harder or easier in the end run, but that's how it usually goes for me.

http://replays.gensokyo.org/download.php?id=28582

As for Life Spring Infinity, just stick right under Kaguya and slip through the criss-crossing stars when you get the opportunity. It feels like the lasers start hurting a moment after they actually show up, so try not being too shy about running into a laser just to hit a star in the end.

http://replays.gensokyo.org/download.php?id=28583

Edit: Also, dunno if this just me, but Life Spring Infinity actually seems easier than its Normal counter-part, if only because the criss-crossing stars give you larger windows to slip through. Then again, it's not the first time spell cards get easier on higher difficulties. I'm looking at you, Mountain of Faith Easy and Normal difficulty.

a cartoon duck fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 1, 2013

Maximum Chenergy
Aug 30, 2007

Its black mist swallows all.

So some people were talking about a new touhou fantasy kaleidoscope a while ago and weren't able to find it, I just stumbled across it on nicovideo. I don't remember if the first one had any voice acting but this one doesn't. It makes the sound effects feel kind of out of place.

E: found a youtube link for people without nico accounts but it's lower quality.

Maximum Chenergy fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 1, 2013

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

Maximum Chenergy posted:

So some people were talking about a new touhou fantasy kaleidoscope a while ago and weren't able to find it, I just stumbled across it on nicovideo. I don't remember if the first one had any voice acting but this one doesn't. It makes the sound effects feel kind of out of place.

The first one didn't have voice acting by default. Someone redubbed it after the fact to provide their own voice acting.

And, yeah, the lack of voice acting does make it a little weird.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

While individually they don't really stand out for me.

They are by far the best crew.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Maximum Chenergy posted:

E: found a youtube link for people without nico accounts but it's lower quality.

Good God, I can't wait for the fandub :allears:

By the way, what was the theme in the end? I know the sound, I know I've heard it before, but I can't quite seem to get the mental image to come together.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Clarste posted:

Kanako's also trying to actively cultivate a dangerous place to live because it's easier to gather faith when people are worried.

I honestly did not wake up this morning and expect to find Adam Curtis in my Touhou.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

CommissarMega posted:

By the way, what was the theme in the end? I know the sound, I know I've heard it before, but I can't quite seem to get the mental image to come together.
If this is a subconsciousness joke: :golfclap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bwj8pXBWBlA

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

ElMaligno posted:

While individually they don't really stand out for me.

They are by far the best crew.

Every new crew is the best crew.

It's kind of a shame Miko doesn't go full Iori Yagami with her laugh.