Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My favorite thing to do as a kid was try to use every single piece in my bucket to build a city. Had several street plates that I laid out and populated.. it's not high skill building but it does help develop tricks with fitting stuff together.

The fancy spaceships and robots you see a lot of these days are a result of many hours experimenting and building on a whim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If you're at a total loss you could just make pixel art with them.

Or a technic butt making GBS threads out bricks.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Lizard Combatant posted:

What do you want to build? Space ships, robots, buildings, landscapes?

Once you know, just experiment and browse pages and pages of moc pictures on flickr, etc...

I just figured it'd be easiest to start with trying to recreate something cool form tv shows, video games, movies, etc. Since it'd give me a solid and visible goal to work towards, rather than a vague idea in my head of some cool looking spaceship mech thing. Maybe two or so years ago I tried to make Kanti from FLCL (without the cape) with my lego collection, and it just wound up being really brittle and didn't really hold together cus I had no idea what I should be doing. I didn't even want to get super small detail or anything, but I could barely keep it from falling apart.

I'll just try throwing random stuff together using as much of my collection as I can, and seeing what happens, I suppose!

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

CodfishCartographer posted:

I just figured it'd be easiest to start with trying to recreate something cool form tv shows, video games, movies, etc. Since it'd give me a solid and visible goal to work towards, rather than a vague idea in my head of some cool looking spaceship mech thing. Maybe two or so years ago I tried to make Kanti from FLCL (without the cape) with my lego collection, and it just wound up being really brittle and didn't really hold together cus I had no idea what I should be doing. I didn't even want to get super small detail or anything, but I could barely keep it from falling apart.

I'll just try throwing random stuff together using as much of my collection as I can, and seeing what happens, I suppose!

"Throw stuff together" is pretty much how you do it. Every once in awhile you'll stumble into a new technique and be better for it.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Torael_7 posted:

"Throw stuff together" is pretty much how you do it. Every once in awhile you'll stumble into a new technique and be better for it.

I don't MOC much right now, but the absolute best thing I did a few years back was to buy a huge tub of LEGO bricks. I knew I'd want to build vehicles, so I made sure to get one with a bunch of wheels, but otherwise I just bought the largest generic set I could find, which was around 1000 bricks.

The best part was that even though it had "ideas" on the box, I wasn't trapped by the idea of "must build the big thing" and it really freed me up to explore what could be built. After that, I knew I really liked building wheeled vehicles and I knew which ones I wanted to build. I didn't know about Bricklink then, but it would have been a good jumping off point to grab the extra pieces I needed and expand.

...instead, I just buy the kits now and build the one big thing. I should go crack that tub out of storage and start experimenting again.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

While my process in building might be a bit different from you since i work mostly in digital form, i usuay just pick out a couple of bricks and see what i can make with them. I might do a LDD stream again sometime soon since the last one got ate. If anyone wpuld be interested i could use that as a way to show how i normally work on a model from start to finish whilst showing how to do SNOT and stuff in LDD, for specific auestions about hoe to work out stuff in LDD you can just post here since there are a couple of goons who work i. LDD ,MLcad and other tools

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Has anyone had an experience with undelivered products from Lego.com?

I ordered the modular fire station three weeks back and haven't received it yet. I tracked the parcel online and it says its been delivered but I didn't sign for anything so I'm guessing its ended up at a neighbors (I live in flats) or someone at the main reception collected it and it was misplaced or some poo poo.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Your poo poo got stolen.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
Don't use the email customer service if you have a problem as the people on the phone will help you much faster and easier.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Normally I am not a huge fan of most licensed sets but I got the LoTR Unexpected Gathering set for my birthday and all I can say is wow, that set is amazing. The colors are vibrant, the playability is great, there is so much little details in this set it just absolutely amaze me. Not to mention it displays really well with all the great mini figures it comes with.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Rythe posted:

Normally I am not a huge fan of most licensed sets but I got the LoTR Unexpected Gathering set for my birthday and all I can say is wow, that set is amazing. The colors are vibrant, the playability is great, there is so much little details in this set it just absolutely amaze me. Not to mention it displays really well with all the great mini figures it comes with.

I have yet to buy any of The Hobbit sets, but that one is on the top of my list. I love all the green.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Rythe posted:

I was skeptical based on the box art (I always forget how much better Lego looks in person) but it's one of my favourites for sure. I've started extending mine to make all the important rooms.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

FYI Amazon has the Modular Town Hall for $50 off (which brings it in line with the other modulars):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...as2&tag=f0f5-20

Edit: While making sure I didn't have this one already, unbuilt, I discovered I bought two Grand Emporiums for full list + tax from TRU for some reason. That must have been the week I was very excited about investing in Lego. WTF.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 30, 2013

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

That's going right into my cart, thanks!

About an hour ago the awesome Haunted House dipped down to $134.99 for like a split second and I managed to grab one. Then it shot right on up to $244.00. Lego purchasing is a fickle mistress.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
New Ewok Village set. :magical:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXE5KYeHGDc

I didn't know how much I need this in my life.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Gottdayum I don't have enough shelf space for that. All those minifigs...

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.

Joramun posted:

It looks like a 90s Kenner playset

I am so excited

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

When does news of the next modular building usually come out? I'm hoping for a museum or a bank.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
"Oh yeah, there's some minifigs too." *hauls out 17 of them*

holy poo poo

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

That ewok village set looks amazing. Really cool to see a big set based on vegetation.

Ira Glass Jaw
Oct 21, 2010

Made it out to the Yorkdale mall Lego store grand opening this morning and boy am I glad I did. When I got there, there were about 50 people in line already and by the time the store opening there were about 100+ people. First 300 people to spend over $75 got a Lego store set, and I also got the Jo-Rel promotion that started today as well. They handed out TC-14 droids to everyone in line which I was pretty happy about since that was a promotion I've missed out on a couple times now. I bought the Sopwith Camel, gold minifigure keychain, Hulk keychain, and salt and pepper shakers and redeemed $70 in points. Also they mailed out a post card to VIP members for a free Yoda brick so I got that as well.

Not a bad haul and I'm definitely heading out tomorrow to get the minifigure pack. Anyone else make it out today?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Wow! Ewok village is amazing. I'm really glad they're taking a chance on doing a vegetation based set. Plus, iconic Original Trilogy locations are always welcome. I'm still holding out for a new Cantina or Bespin.

parque bynch
Mar 12, 2004

R.I.P. Side-Scrolling Link: we hardly knew ye...

Lizard Combatant posted:

Wow! Ewok village is amazing. I'm really glad they're taking a chance on doing a vegetation based set. Plus, iconic Original Trilogy locations are always welcome. I'm still holding out for a new Cantina or Bespin.

drat, a cloud city, exterior only, that was the size of the B-wing would be the coolest thing ever. Hell, go a little larger and have it open with different rooms inside: the meeting room with Vader, the carbonite chamber, the room where 3P0 get disassembled, and a tube dropping through to the bottom that a minifig could slide through.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

parque bynch posted:

drat, a cloud city, exterior only, that was the size of the B-wing would be the coolest thing ever. Hell, go a little larger and have it open with different rooms inside: the meeting room with Vader, the carbonite chamber, the room where 3P0 get disassembled, and a tube dropping through to the bottom that a minifig could slide through.

So many possibilities for Bespin, but the part I want most is the dining room :v:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
The Ewok Village set looks awesome. If it's anywhere near as good as An Unexpected Gathering, I might have to get it.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Breaking in my new camera with a few of the spaceships I've made over the years.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Saint Sputnik posted:

Breaking in my new camera with a few of the spaceships I've made over the years.

I really like this one. Nice angles.

Yesterday I finished a MOC that I've been working on since I got my collection sorted. It's a spaceship built in the style of the current City Space theme. It was inspired mostly by this and I've humbly named it Apollo 18.

More here. It has a crew of two, a large heat-shield for entering atmospheres, lab equipment, detachable fuel tanks, airlock door with a small winch and a surface vehicle stored in the cargo hold.

I'm still making some modifications to it and I'm not sure about the color-scheme but overall I'm happy with how it turned out. It was especially fun and challenging building something completely sideways, so to speak.

Also I really need proper lighting when shooting black plastic indoors.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

uXs posted:

"Oh yeah, there's some minifigs too." *hauls out 17 of them*

holy poo poo

Missing Force ghost Obi-Wan, Anakin, and Yoda.

Nazzle
Apr 11, 2008

Joramun posted:

That price :negative:

Seriously I think that could be a major problem for me, it's generally the problem with the star wars sets, I really want the UCS stuff but it just seems like £20-30 too much.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Nazzle posted:

That price :negative:

Seriously I think that could be a major problem for me, it's generally the problem with the star wars sets, I really want the UCS stuff but it just seems like £20-30 too much.

It's a nearly 2000-piece LEGO set with 17 minifigs. It's gonna cost some sort of genitalia. I think it's a fair price based on their Star Wars pricing scheme, but yeah, it's definitely making me balk at the overall cost. Plus I don't know where I'd put it. Space is quickly becoming a bigger issue for me.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

rickiep00h posted:

It's a nearly 2000-piece LEGO set with 17 minifigs. It's gonna cost some sort of genitalia. I think it's a fair price based on their Star Wars pricing scheme, but yeah, it's definitely making me balk at the overall cost. Plus I don't know where I'd put it. Space is quickly becoming a bigger issue for me.

I'd really like the Ewok village, but that price is way too much. I know we pay a premium for Star Wars stuff because of the licensing fees, but the bigger the set, the less per brick we should pay. The ewok village is roughly 12.5 cents per brick. Most of the Star Wars spaceships in the $40-60 range hover around the 11 cent range. The $400 death star is 10.5 cents per brick. If the village was closer to the $200 price range, I'd be more inclined to pick it up.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

ltr posted:

I'd really like the Ewok village, but that price is way too much. I know we pay a premium for Star Wars stuff because of the licensing fees, but the bigger the set, the less per brick we should pay. The ewok village is roughly 12.5 cents per brick. Most of the Star Wars spaceships in the $40-60 range hover around the 11 cent range. The $400 death star is 10.5 cents per brick. If the village was closer to the $200 price range, I'd be more inclined to pick it up.

Unfortunately, enough people will buy it that they keep pricing things that high. :smith:

I realize I came off as flippant with my earlier comment, but I agree that it's pretty lame that we have to pay more for licensed sets. And a bunch of the non-licensed sets seem to have been creeping up, even if the numbers actually don't show it.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Well surely inflation is having an impact at this point? The 10c/brick thing has been a standard for like ten years now hasn't it?

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
Played some Creationary earlier tonight. I'm pretty proud of this alligator:

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Koramei posted:

Well surely inflation is having an impact at this point? The 10c/brick thing has been a standard for like ten years now hasn't it?

Yeah, with inflation that death star should be a $450 set if it was re-released today.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

PriorMarcus posted:

When does news of the next modular building usually come out? I'm hoping for a museum or a bank.

It's going to be a while. Of all the stuff that leaks these are usually the tightest. On the plus side, it's faster from name of building to pictures to able to buy.

Also Northeast US folks: Five Below just got their pile of S10 minifigs, worth checking out if you don't have a Lego store and don't want to get gouged at TRU.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

ElwoodCuse posted:

It's going to be a while. Of all the stuff that leaks these are usually the tightest. On the plus side, it's faster from name of building to pictures to able to buy.

I ordered my third one (the Grand Emporium) a few days ago. :) I already had the pet shop and the fire brigade.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The rear end Stooge posted:

Played some Creationary earlier tonight. I'm pretty proud of this alligator:

Illegal LEGO placement on the tail and mouth! Disqualification! (That's a nice microgator though!)

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

7thBatallion posted:

Missing Force ghost Obi-Wan, Anakin, and Yoda.

The presence of Imperial troops and Han being roasted on a spit clearly shows that the second Death Star hasn't blown up, so the ghosts haven't made an appearance. Plus Ghost Anakin wouldn't even exist at that point. :goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

ltr posted:

One complication is that everyone values the minifigs at much more than their part count. 16 minifigs is not adding only $6 to the price.