Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

It really astonishes me how fast this stuff went over my head. It's very telling how little i really know. Makes me glad I'm doing this...

The small amount of ios commands and experience with ASDM I have are really nothing...can't wait to learn more.

I did end up getting some really cheap 1760's, so we'll see. They were so cheap that if I have to get something different soon, it's not a big deal. I'm sure I could re-sell them if need be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nescience
Jan 24, 2011

h'okay
What are some good places to get discounted vouchers? I'm trying to take a Sec+ (Pearson VUE) test, the lowest price I can find is $235 on getcertified4less, I'm taking it within the next week, so expiration is not a problem.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Vintimus Prime posted:

Sitting for my second shot on the 685 tomorrow. I failed the first time with a higher score than expected, had a lot of medical crap going on. I feel I am ready tis time.

I passed!!! Scored a 925! Feeling so great like I can walk on air.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Cenodoxus posted:

Looks good. That'll get you a good bit of hands-on experience with the hardware, which even though isn't strictly required for CCNA, is a great plus. Balance that kit with GNS3 for more advanced topologies and you're all set.

Are you planning on going above and beyond the CCNA? If so, you may want to price a 3550 or two in place of the 2950. You'll get everything you can find in the 2950s, plus a router for inter-VLAN routing and other fun things like that. Router-on-a-Stick is ancient and you'll never see it in a well-designed production environment.

It's a bit of an investment compared to the 2950, but if your CCNA is just a stepping stone it's entirely worth it.

Can you or anyone else shed a little light on lab suggestions? I took some notes previously in the thread, but they're a little sparse:
code:
Two to three 2600xm
Two 2950s
One 3550

If you must see IOS 15, then an 1841 with 256/64 RAM/Flash is needed.
I know for instance I've seen reference to 3500XL models having some missing features when compared to non-XL models, but I can't find a concise reference as to what features I'd be missing with my 3548XL versus a 3550.

Currently, I have a work-owned 2948G of unknown state and vintage, Qty 6 SC GBICs (30-0759-01), a few SC/SC patches, and the 3548XL I got a few weeks ago for ~$20. We also use a 2948G-GE-TX internally, but literally none of the management features are in use, and of course it's not like I can experiment with that, either. Obviously I need routers, but what about interface cards, cables, which interfaces are essential if I am thinking of a CCNA, versus maybe interface cards that would be useful for learning Cisco networking whether you plan on getting certified or not? Would there be some interfaces and protocols I'd be less likely to need to study?

I only ask this odd question because I want to brush up my networking knowledge across the board, but I'm in the middle of a planned certification track for work that's MS-focused, and I'm not necessarily pursuing certs for their own value, rather the knowledge attendant to pursuing the certification. I have broad, sparse network knowledge, but in big Lync endpoint deployments or video conferencing trouble shooting it's easy to get out of my comfort zone quickly with our clients' IT people. Between asking them to open 10,000 ports bidirectionally for both TCP and UDP in the OCS 2007 days, to 5,000 ports, also bidirectionally, also both TCP and UDP, for H.323 video systems, they occasionally act like you personally ran over their dog. At the other end of the spectrum, there's one client who'll let me into his Sonicwall and then go get lunch, leaving me to possibly fat finger something awful.

Lareous
Feb 19, 2008

Vintimus Prime posted:

I passed!!! Scored a 925! Feeling so great like I can walk on air.

Congrats! After my Network + I'll probably be knocking that one out as well.

I have the opportunity to start helldesk at a university soon; how long should I gain knowledge and experience there before I take the Security +? I'm trying to gauge where in my career I should knock that one out.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Oddhair posted:

Can you or anyone else shed a little light on lab suggestions? I took some notes previously in the thread, but they're a little sparse:

The 2948G is a CatOS device. CatOS is basically EOL, although you might see it in huge switches like the 6500 that can still run it in hybrid mode (CatOS + IOS). It won't hurt to play around with, but it won't be as helpful as having an IOS switch if you decide to pursue Cisco certs.

The 3548XL is an IOS switch, but it's old and only does layer 2 switching - the XL is a misnomer, it's actually a step backwards compared to the 3550, which does full layer 3 routing.

IOS 15 isn't a big deal - it's 12.4 with new restrictive licensing features, and almost everyone I've talked to said it's silly to make it a determining factor in lab design. I'd steer clear of it anyway until Cisco comes up with an IOS student license, which will happen approximately never now that they're selling virtual lab access.

As far as interfaces, the only two you really need to worry about for CCNA are serial and ethernet. They're the most common by a long shot and are the easiest to work with in the lab. In a lab with two routers, you can get by with one serial interface (WIC-1T) each for a simple point-to-point. This gives you some hands-on experience with the ports, connectors, and cables. Anything beyond that can be covered pretty well in GNS3.

Here's my small-time lab recommendation:

• 2 Cisco 2611XM series routers (The XM line gets you IOS 12.4, non-XMs don't.)
  • 2 Catalyst 2950s
  • 2 WIC-1T serial cards
  • 1 DB60 to DB60 DCE/DTE serial cable
  • 1 Prolific-based USB to DB9 Serial adapter
  • 1-4 rollover console cables (One is fine, but I'm a lazy gently caress and hate moving one cable between a bunch of devices)
  • For more advanced router topologies like NBMA (Frame Relay), use GNS3.

If you want to go above and beyond to the CCNP, or just want a more "practical" lab, swap out the 2950s for 3550s. Layer 3 switches are covered on the CCNP and all the cool kids are doing it in the enterprise to route between VLANs.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Thanks a lot, that's pretty much exactly the kind of answer I was looking for! I just know we could fix some of the general crust in our environment given the will and some time, hence why I mentioned my currently-in-use stuff as well. It also ties into my practice MS labs - I've got bandwidth and IPs to spare, but I always have to be careful not to damage anything because while my test server is outside production, the rest of the network isn't.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
So I'm taking ROUTE on Saturday. Any major areas I should focus on for last minute studying? I know there's a ton of sims.

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007
Buy Dr. Quack's miracle juice! Now with patented H-twenty!

psydude posted:

So I'm taking ROUTE on Saturday. Any major areas I should focus on for last minute studying? I know there's a ton of sims.

Go here, and review all the defaults and how they differ per protocol: http://packetlife.net/library/cheat-sheets/
The sims you can do when you know how everything is supposed to work. Questions about default AD, you either know or you don't.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Jelmylicious posted:

Go here, and review all the defaults and how they differ per protocol: http://packetlife.net/library/cheat-sheets/
The sims you can do when you know how everything is supposed to work. Questions about default AD, you either know or you don't.

Thanks. The practice exam I took last night had a metric fuckton of IPv6 on it too, holy poo poo.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

psydude posted:

Thanks. The practice exam I took last night had a metric fuckton of IPv6 on it too, holy poo poo.

IPV6 is alot simpler than you might think. Just realize everything is optimized for point to point links and know what :: is and you should be fine. At least, that's my take on it. The current CCNP tests are 5-10% IPV6 so enough to screw you if you have no idea, but not enough if you can fudge your way through it.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
When I took ROUTE it asked questions like what the first two hex's FE represent, and what the loopback looks like. Just brush up on it if poo poo like that has you wondering.

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

How valuable is the Security+ certificate without any actual job experience? I'm fairly certain I can pass, I know my stuff. I just don't have any actual experience. I'd be fine with an entry level job I'm just worried I'll shell out the time and money only to get nothing due to lack of experience.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Elucidarius posted:

How valuable is the Security+ certificate without any actual job experience? I'm fairly certain I can pass, I know my stuff. I just don't have any actual experience. I'd be fine with an entry level job I'm just worried I'll shell out the time and money only to get nothing due to lack of experience.
In the private sector, probably not very unless they're looking to fill a junior IT Sec position with someone who at minimum cares enough about it to get base-level certified. It does fulfill the requirements for DoD 8570 Technical Level II and Management Level I positions though, which may not have been open to you prior.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Well fun cramming and studying. Passed my test to get my EMCISA cert. Felt like the exam studying was a dive into EMC products and propaganda. It was touted to me as an industry cert thats more agnostic. Yeah not really, but it did have some great information if you haven't done much with storage.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Langolas posted:

Well fun cramming and studying. Passed my test to get my EMCISA cert. Felt like the exam studying was a dive into EMC products and propaganda. It was touted to me as an industry cert thats more agnostic. Yeah not really, but it did have some great information if you haven't done much with storage.

Yeah, it basically is that for the test. It felt like a VSTP to me

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Any of you cool dudes have recommendations on study materials for CISSP? I only saw Sec+ listed in the OP.

Tasty Wheat
Jul 18, 2012

642-747 in about 11 hours, if I hate wireless so much, why am I still taking wireless tests.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

psydude posted:

If you can do the ROUTE lab manual, you'll not have problems with the sims.
Know your redistribution as well. All I can recall at the moment.

Good luck.

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp
Because it's :frogsiren:THE FUTURE:frogsiren:

Tasty Wheat
Jul 18, 2012

Tasty Wheat posted:

642-747 in about 11 hours, if I hate wireless so much, why am I still taking wireless tests.

Line to check in at the testing center, oh I hate that, bet I will get the crapy mouse again.

e. Ahha, drug pushers taking tests, drat pharmacists.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Welp, got my rear end handed to me by a few sims, particularly one on redistribution and one on EIGRP that I spent like 20 minutes a piece on. I think the EIGRP one was bugged, though, but whatever. Time to study up and take it again in two weeks.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

AgentSythe posted:

Any of you cool dudes have recommendations on study materials for CISSP? I only saw Sec+ listed in the OP.

Im studying for it now and the two main books are "CISSP All-In-One" by Shon Harris and "CISSP Study Guide" by Eric Conrad. Everyone that Ive talked to used the Harris book almost exclusively so Im grinding my way through that one first.

Tasty Wheat
Jul 18, 2012

pre:
The Credential Manager website is undergoing maintenance during the following periods:

Friday May 31st: 6:00 pm until midnight

Saturday June 1st: 12:00 pm until 6:00 am Sunday June 2nd

Thank you for your patience.

Copyright © 2012-2013 Pearson Education, Inc. or its affiliates. All rights reserved. | Privacy 
SUCK

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

psydude posted:

Welp, got my rear end handed to me by a few sims, particularly one on redistribution and one on EIGRP that I spent like 20 minutes a piece on. I think the EIGRP one was bugged, though, but whatever.
Ouch, sorry to hear that.

Did you open a cert support case? I doubt you'd get a full voucher out of it, but they might at least confirm or deny the bug.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.
What's the best book for the new CCNA? Is it still just the Odom Cisco Press book? There's no chance I can be ready to test by September and I figure I might as well get a jump on the new one since that's what will be required for retests.

forever gold
Jan 14, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Doug posted:

What's the best book for the new CCNA? Is it still just the Odom Cisco Press book? There's no chance I can be ready to test by September and I figure I might as well get a jump on the new one since that's what will be required for retests.

I hear a lot of people saying this, but man, you have four months. That's like an academic semester.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

forever gold posted:

I hear a lot of people saying this, but man, you have four months. That's like an academic semester.

This is probably a bad example, but...I did a two week boot camp and passed the older CCNA back in 2004 (single test). I actually understood the stuff, too. Granted, I had access to real hardware to practice on, and it did take me two tries to pass the test (paid for by the boot camp), but what I'm trying to say here is that even with GNS3 or Packet Tracker alone, you can do this. Don't sell yourself short.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.
I'm also already committed to a work required certification that I'll be taking in July. I have no physical hardware to work on, and I'd just really like to take the new test since that's what all retests will be based on. What's the point in studying an old test when in 3 years I'll be at minimum taking the new test possibly with even more material if it gets updated again.

Gap In The Tooth
Aug 16, 2004

Doug posted:

What's the point in studying an old test when in 3 years I'll be at minimum taking the new test possibly with even more material if it gets updated again.

Getting the CCNA is still valid, better to do it now than when it is harder. Even more so if you don't feel like you can't get poo poo done right now.

Unless you really really want to learn OSPFv3.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Doug posted:

If you've already got experience with networking (subnetting, switch configuration, etc.) you can easily do it in 4 months. If you're coming fresh out of the helpdesk you might be pushing it, but doing the current CCNA will be a lot easier than doing the new one.

Tasty Wheat
Jul 18, 2012

Doug posted:

I'm also already committed to a work required certification that I'll be taking in July. I have no physical hardware to work on, and I'd just really like to take the new test since that's what all retests will be based on. What's the point in studying an old test when in 3 years I'll be at minimum taking the new test possibly with even more material if it gets updated again.

At the least you should be taking one of the CCNA Specialized tests, or one of the CCNP exams, not the CCNA exam again.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I'm preparing to take the CCNA by taking the Cisco Networking Academy courses with CCENT next week and the CCNA proper in late July. I have a Cisco book from 2006 in my possession but is their anything else available I can use to prepare for either exam?

Tasty Wheat
Jul 18, 2012

Island Nation posted:

I'm preparing to take the CCNA by taking the Cisco Networking Academy courses with CCENT next week and the CCNA proper in late July. I have a Cisco book from 2006 in my possession but is their anything else available I can use to prepare for either exam?

'06 is when I got mine, I can not tell you chapter and verse, but that book should have extra info and be missing some stuff. When I did the CCNA, IGRP and DDR was still subject matter, that is not going to be on your test now.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I wonder if they'll finally stop talking about Frame Relay and DSL.

Tasty Wheat
Jul 18, 2012

psydude posted:

I think that Frame Relay will be testable for some time, its easy and cheap to set up in labs.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

psydude posted:

Does anyone actually use frame relay any more? Surely it's so drat slow at this point that it is no longer useful.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Powdered Toast Man posted:

Does anyone actually use frame relay any more? Surely it's so drat slow at this point that it is no longer useful.

I've still heard of it in the wild, yes. I've also still heard of token ring networks and ISDN lines in production.

Tasty Wheat
Jul 18, 2012

psydude posted:

I've still heard of it in the wild, yes. I've also still heard of token ring networks and ISDN lines in production.

Frame Rely, that's what I using over VSAT, as long as your talking slow links, I bet it will be around for some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
What VSAT system are you using that speaks frame relay?