Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Wiseblood posted:

Hide the best you can from the snipers. Eventually four guys will come down and you can punch them in the face. Hide again and Pavel will talk poo poo to you and take potshots at you for a while and eventually the gate will open and a heavy will come out. There will also be two regular guys hanging out behind the door. One you take care of those guys and go after Pavel the snipers will inexplicably disappear.

It was NOT easy. I had to consult a youtube walkthrough. But yeah, basically this. I hid just behind the burning trashcan at the front door. Then right when the Dark One is lighting up the enemies you RUN to the left, punching out the first guy who jumps out a window, then the second behind you. Then I run WAAAAY to the back to hide behind the rear barricades, crouching where the metal plates are. This is where it got tricky, because I died so many times at this point that I timed it based on the air remaining on my watch, but at just the right moment, I charge ahead, bash open the skull of the heavy with the headlamp, then RUN for the door. Then you deal with You Know Who. I used grenades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravel
Mar 11, 2013
Gravel is a delicious food for people.

PureRok posted:

Здравствуйте, сэр! Как вы делаете сегодня? I hope Google translate didn't completely butcher this.

The words you have there do literally mean "how you doing today", but you usually wouldn't say that. You'd either say "Как вы поживаете?" or "Как у вас дела?" if you're being formal, or "Как ты поживаешь?"/"Как дела?" if you're being informal. Russians also wouldn't usually say "sir" unless they were talking to someone from another country (they sometimes use the title that foreigners would be accustomed to, like "mister"). Instead you'd use their first name + patronymic, like "Vladimir Vladimirovich" if you were talking to Putin, for example.

:eng101:

disclaimer: I'm still bad at Russian and someone might point out a mistake I've made above.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Gravel posted:

The words you have there do literally mean "how you doing today", but you usually wouldn't say that. You'd either say "Как вы поживаете?" or "Как у вас дела?" if you're being formal, or "Как ты поживаешь?"/"Как дела?" if you're being informal. Russians also wouldn't usually say "sir" unless they were talking to someone from another country (they sometimes use the title that foreigners would be accustomed to, like "mister"). Instead you'd use their first name + patronymic, like "Vladimir Vladimirovich" if you were talking to Putin, for example.

:eng101:

disclaimer: I'm still bad at Russian and someone might point out a mistake I've made above.

Yea, I was trying to be kind of over the top formal. Like, "Hello, sir! How do you do?" which is what I put in originally.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Playing this game all maxed out with physx on and I have to keep reminding myself to pick up my jaw from the floor every five minutes. Enable physx and throw grenades in rooms. :getin:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I might do this once again with Ranger Hardcore, but I think I'm done with this for now. This was extremely, extremely strong; it communicated an atmospheric, real-seeming world far better than almost any game I've played. The graphics obviously helped, but what really sold it was the incredible attention to environmental detail they had- especially at the "safe" stations. Compare it to something like Bioshock Infinite's theme park, and Last Light just seems so much more like an actual society.

By the way, haven't gotten the pacifist achievement, but for people wondering how to get the Good Ending, I don't think pacifist play matters except on levels where you specifically get a Moral Point (screen flash) for no kills. Specifically, those levels are:Any of the Nazi levels after you get separated from Pavel, the Communist level after Pavel betrays you, and the warehouse in Venice. Also, there are a few fairly obvious moments where not engaging packs of mutants gets you a screen flash

It seems like killing human enemies in:The railcar level with the bandits, the level with the Communists setting fire to everything, and everything after the River of Fate has no effect on getting the good or bad ending.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
For those who like me felt cheated you can get the Shadow Ranger by going to C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\4A Games\Metro LL\1100001015a5a92 and moving or renaming user.cfg. Then playing through the final level and Only killing the train and the flamethrower guy. Some people say you can kill the riot shield guys but I'm pretty sure doing so cost me my achievement the first time around.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Sardonik posted:

For those who like me felt cheated you can get the Shadow Ranger by going to C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\4A Games\Metro LL\1100001015a5a92 and moving or renaming user.cfg. Then playing through the final level and Only killing the train and the flamethrower guy. Some people say you can kill the riot shield guys but I'm pretty sure doing so cost me my achievement the first time around.

I was killing riot shield guys so I could get a clear shot at the flamethrower guy and still got Shadow Ranger.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
By the way, I didn't know this until I read it in a loading screen, but the bullet lighter's smoke trail acts as a compass/goal indicator :stare:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Just hit Church, and it seems the game is telling me this is the last chance to buy weapons.

Eyeballing the Kalash 2012 and the Saiga, but really want to use a VSV again, as that's been my goto in every Stalker game/2033. Do more stores pop up later on, or should I just buy/upgrade a Kalash/Saiga now, and I'll find a good enough one later on.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Rookersh posted:

Just hit Church, and it seems the game is telling me this is the last chance to buy weapons.

Eyeballing the Kalash 2012 and the Saiga, but really want to use a VSV again, as that's been my goto in every Stalker game/2033. Do more stores pop up later on, or should I just buy/upgrade a Kalash/Saiga now, and I'll find a good enough one later on.
You've still got a while to go yet mate.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun
I'm at the bridge and found a VSK, is it time to start using MGR's or is there another market place coming up after?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

E.Nigma posted:

I'm at the bridge and found a VSK, is it time to start using MGR's or is there another market place coming up after?

There are markets all the way up until the end of the game.

Mushball
May 23, 2012
I haven't found a time where I needed to use MGRs like I did in 2033 where by endgame I was burning through my stock because I had shot all of my dirty rounds beforehand. I suppose you could use them to buy/upgrade your guns or for the fight with that bear-thing in the park but I stuck with a saiga and some claymores for that fight.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Fag Boy Jim posted:

There are markets all the way up until the end of the game.

Literally.

But MGRs devalued greatly between 2033 and Last Light, so firing them off isn't a last-ditch move any more. I had hundreds left when I finished the game, despite using them for the last hour or so.

I want to play through this again and maybe get the 'good' ending, but I just can't imagine not killing nazis when given the opportunity to do so.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jun 1, 2013

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
I wish they hadn't gotten rid of the shotgun bayonet. That thing was ice :black101:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is there a good way to aim throwing knives in Ranger mode? I loved them in normal, but now I can only use them at point blank.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

The Lone Badger posted:

Is there a good way to aim throwing knives in Ranger mode? I loved them in normal, but now I can only use them at point blank.

They always hit the center of the screen in my experience.

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good

The Lone Badger posted:

I tend to line them up with my iron sights when I'm throwing over any significant distance.

I really wish there was a way to check ammo in ranger mode. I seem to remember talk about pulling out the clip and looking at the remaining bullets, but that doesn't seem to be an actual thing.

Lediur
Jul 16, 2007
The alternative to anything is nothing.
Does anyone know if the credits music will be released with the game soundtrack? From what I can tell from the soundtrack listings it doesn't seem to contain either credits song, which is a real bummer if that's true.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Does this import anything from 2033, save wise? I beat 2033 (with the bad ending :smith:) but don't have the save anymore, but would like to jump straight into this one.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Fuzz posted:

Does this import anything from 2033, save wise? I beat 2033 (with the bad ending :smith:) but don't have the save anymore, but would like to jump straight into this one.

Nah, Last Light takes 2033's bad ending as canon and goes from there.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Blue Raider posted:

Nah, Last Light takes 2033's bad ending as canon and goes from there.

Awesome, thanks. Time to go start wheezing into a gas mask!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Zylen posted:

The metro, as described in the first book, really doesn't lend itself well to open-world exploration at all. The vast majority of stations are difficult to get into, even when just travelling through. Everyone is incredibly paranoid of everyone else (The only exception being travel between the Hansa ring stations), requiring travellers to have paperwork and passports. On top of this, a whole bunch of the tunnels are described as being completely impassable either due to demons/radiation/supernatural poo poo or simply through collapses. On top of that you have stations wholly occupied by religious cults, cannibal tribes, mutants and crazy people.

That sounds like the best game though.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Dimo ArKacho posted:

I tend to line them up with my iron sights when I'm throwing over any significant distance.

I really wish there was a way to check ammo in ranger mode. I seem to remember talk about pulling out the clip and looking at the remaining bullets, but that doesn't seem to be an actual thing.

You could do this in 2033 I am almost positive, and I don't know why they took it out. Unless I hallucinated that.

I used a tricked out Lolife in the bandit camp this time around and it was hilarious. Also, not overly impressed with the shotty machine gun, looking forward to picking up the SAIGA soon. The RPK is much more usable in ranger mode, I actually one shot some nosalises.

Also I find throwing knives pretty easy since it matters so little where you hit. Mostly I use them on nosalises anyway.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

NESguerilla posted:

A lot of that stuff is explicitly mentioned in-game too (possibly setting up DLC?), pretty sure it was Pavel who rambles on about "The Far Stations" practicing cannibalism, slavery, cults, etc.

Dogen posted:

You could do this in 2033 I am almost positive, and I don't know why they took it out. Unless I hallucinated that.

This was most definitely a thing in the Red Orchestra series, I don't remember it being in Metro.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I just met the blacksmith and got into the car. How do I start this thing?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Skilleddk posted:

I just met the blacksmith and got into the car. How do I start this thing?

Space bar.

e: Also the car section is great. Have fun.

WALLGOD
May 3, 2006
WALLS FOR THE WALLGOD

Dogen posted:

You definitely could. You'd hit a key and Artyom would look at his watch, but a screen would also pop-up telling you how much ammo, grenades, etc you had and it worked in ranger hardcore. It worked well since you couldn't shoot or anything and the screen would blur due to focusing on the watch/ammo info so it wouldn't be wise to do during combat.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

It may sound like it, but the events in the book are very slow-paced for the most part. It's an interesting read for sure, but there is a good reason that there's a lot more action in the 2033 game than there is in the novel. I can only think of a few parts in its 400 pages that Artyom has any offensive capability at all. It's a comedy of errors a la Artyom at its core. The games are the same way, but it's handled very differently.

This isn't to say that the book doesn't contain things that are ripe for interpretation into the games. They absolutely do. The thing is that the weird stations would make awesome settings and lore additions, but if they tried to really faithfully copy the plot of the book, it'd be dull as poo poo.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Yea, Artyom doesn't ever even fire a shot until over a third into the book. And it doesn't end all that well for him.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I think I found the best song to fit the game:
(Spoilers for 2033/Last Light)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enWnwSYkgIs

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
What, that's basically the least appropriate piece of music I could imagine for Metro.

Well, I guess dubstep would be even less appropriate but still.

e: Here's my favorite Last Light song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H843gBkzY8w

VVVV: Yeah I thought it was brilliant for the trailers.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 2, 2013

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
I always thought whoever chose Portishead's Machine Gun picked the absolutely perfect song for Metro. This is seriously one of my top three commercials:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su1djPuvDnw

Edit: it wouldn't work at all in-game, but it is perfect for a commercial.

double edit: as one of the people who really liked Artyom's original watch and was sad to see it go, I like that it gets screen time in this commercial too.

triple edit last one I promise: I watched this video so many times that when I actually played the game, escaping from the Reich was constantly subtly confusing me for reasons I couldn't explain. It wasn't until I re-watched this video that I realized it was because I was so used to seeing Khan as the other guy escaping that having Pavel do all the Khan poo poo was wigging me out subconsciously.

Samfucius fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 2, 2013

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Last Light had a really high-quality marketing. The live-action trailer is my favorite thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mON5WmA5REk

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

My favorite thing about the live action trailer is what the mother is singing to her baby at the beginning.

It is a traditional Russian lullaby, and in true Russian form is dark as hell. It is basically telling your baby/small child that if they sleep too close to the edge of the bed, a wolf will bite their stomach and drag them off into the woods.

I really shouldn't read too far into it because the song is so culturally saturated it probably doesn't mean anything, but I like to think it was supposed to reference a child (Artyom) approaching a liminal space (the outside) and being pulled away from humanity against his will (his connection to the dark ones).

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Samfucius posted:

triple edit last one I promise: I watched this video so many times that when I actually played the game, escaping from the Reich was constantly subtly confusing me for reasons I couldn't explain. It wasn't until I re-watched this video that I realized it was because I was so used to seeing Khan as the other guy escaping that having Pavel do all the Khan poo poo was wigging me out subconsciously.

I just noticed that, too! Pavel was good throughout that segment, but Khan makes everything better. I really liked his character design in Last Light.

Samfucius posted:

It is a traditional Russian lullaby, and in true Russian form is dark as hell. It is basically telling your baby/small child that if they sleep too close to the edge of the bed, a wolf will bite their stomach and drag them off into the woods.

That's... really haunting. I like that it works for the game (Artyom and the dark ones) and within the trailer itself (the baby being taken down into the Metro).

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

Rebel Blob posted:

Last Light had a really high-quality marketing. The live-action trailer is my favorite thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mON5WmA5REk

That is an awesome video for sure.

My favorite was this one: I actually had never heard of the Metro series before but this Last Light trailer convinced to go right out and bought 2033 off of steam when I saw this a few years back

The way the music and lighting/editing go together is really loving amazing.

edit: VVV huh? that post is talking about the live action trailer, and mine isn't.

Chillmatic fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 2, 2013

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Three posts above you, dude.

Also the specific line that is echoed at the end of the live-action trailer is the one that says

"He will grab you by the gut,
He will grab you by the gut."

A creepy as gently caress line.

Samfucius fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 2, 2013

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

The Lone Badger posted:

You either get good at aiming for the center (with a slight adjustment for drop, I think the knives fall) or you get a weapon with a laser sight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Chillmatic posted:

That is an awesome video for sure.

My favorite was this one: I actually had never heard of the Metro series before but this Last Light trailer convinced to go right out and bought 2033 off of steam when I saw this a few years back

The way the music and lighting/editing go together is really loving amazing.

edit: VVV huh? that post is talking about the live action trailer, and mine isn't.

Goddamn, I remember hearing that trailer on loop like 500 times at E3 that year... well done, but goddamn it is annoying after the 50th time.

• Locked thread