Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Sepist posted:

I was having issues with the original drivers I installed which apparently was normal with the 660ti so I downloaded a modified copy which turned out to have a miner installed.

I'm sure there's a moral to this story. :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Somewhere there is. I updated to the new precision software to handle my fan speed increases and even though the fan isn't set to go as high as it was in afterburner, I'm not getting screen flicker. Weird.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Does anyone know a good guide to overclocking a GPU? I am pretty happy with my 780 but want to eek out that extra performance. Happily it was able to run Witcher 2 at Max (except ubersampling) at 30 fps at 3860 x 2070. Wouldn't mine getting it up to 40 fps. I have EVGA Precision X downloaded but I am not sure exactly where to start. Overclocked my Ivy Bridge i5 before fine so have some experience.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

cheesetriangles posted:

Does anyone know a good guide to overclocking a GPU? I am pretty happy with my 780 but want to eek out that extra performance. Happily it was able to run Witcher 2 at Max (except ubersampling) at 30 fps at 3860 x 2070. Wouldn't mine getting it up to 40 fps. I have EVGA Precision X downloaded but I am not sure exactly where to start. Overclocked my Ivy Bridge i5 before fine so have some experience.

What display setup do you have that uses 3860 x 2070?

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Shaocaholica posted:

What display setup do you have that uses 3860 x 2070?

Probably meant 3840*2160

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

madsushi posted:

Probably meant 3840*2160

Unless its a single 4K display, thats an odd resolution for mutli monitor right?

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

cheesetriangles posted:

Assuming you mean 4k, I wouldn't worry about getting more than 30fps, since hdmi doesn't support 60hz@4k. Apparently displayport 1.2 does, but seemingly almost nothing uses dp 1.2.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Did mean 3840 x 2160 sorry. Also I was using downsampling. My monitor is only 1080p. Decided to stop using OGSSAA though and use SGSSAA instead. At 3840 x 2160 only half the games I tested worked properly. Probably a lack of Vram on the 780.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Is there any Nvidia comparable to the 7850?

I don't play TOO much video games outside some CS:GO and whatever else I can find on a Friday night.

I am currently selling my 6950(flashed 6970), thinking I can get 150 for it on the goon mart.

The two cards I am looking at are,

The 560 Ti BOOST
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127731
and
The 7850 1Gb
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202004

I am leaning more towards the 7850 as it comes with 3 games I don't have, and from what I can tell the 7850 seems to do a bit better. However, I can't seem to find some benches of the 1GB model of the 7850.

Going from Anand the 7850 seems to pull ahead, however like I said I am unsure how much the lower vRAM affects it.

Most my gaming will be at 1920x1080, however I am getting a second monitor soon.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 2, 2013

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Corvettefisher posted:

Is there any Nvidia comparable to the 7850?

I don't play TOO much video games outside some CS:GO and whatever else I can find on a Friday night.

I am currently selling my 6950(flashed 6970), thinking I can get 150 for it on the goon mart.

The two cards I am looking at are,

The 560 Ti BOOST
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127731
and
The 7850 1Gb
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202004

I am leaning more towards the 7850 as it comes with 3 games I don't have, and from what I can tell the 7850 seems to do a bit better. However, I can't seem to find some benches of the 1GB model of the 7850.

Going from Anand the 7850 seems to pull ahead, however like I said I am unsure how much the lower vRAM affects it.

Most my gaming will be at 1920x1080, however I am getting a second monitor soon.
Why are you selling your videocard to do a sidegrade? For an appreciable upgrade on the AMD side you'd need at minimum a 7950, and maybe a 660ti on the Nvidia side. Going to a 560ti or 7850 wouldn't change performance at all really. If it's because of the reference fan on the 6950, you could always replace it with aftermarket if it bothers you or something (that's what I did with mine because the reference fan is a piece of poo poo).

Also if it's flashable you can probably get more than $150 for it, especially since people are buying them up for bitcoin mining. Price it to used 6970's instead if it's stable at 6970 reference clocks.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

LCD Deathpanel posted:

Why are you selling your videocard to do a sidegrade? For an appreciable upgrade on the AMD side you'd need at minimum a 7950, and maybe a 660ti on the Nvidia side. Going to a 560ti or 7850 wouldn't change performance at all really. If it's because of the reference fan on the 6950, you could always replace it with aftermarket if it bothers you or something (that's what I did with mine because the reference fan is a piece of poo poo).

The Flashed 6970 I have, 1) won't fit in my new case, 2) I doubt my 460w PSU won't power it, 3) is a small space heater.

I sold off the parts of the PC it was originally in to build my ESXi server, I'm actually running off a 8600GTS right now.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 2, 2013

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Well did some googling and watched some youtube and got a 190 mhz overclock on the gpu clock and 280 mhz on the memory overclock for my 780. Might me able to push it further because it was totally stable and temps never went above 70 degrees.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Nondescript Van posted:

That is the exact opposite of a phantom.
That refers to your bank account, silly.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Corvettefisher posted:

The Flashed 6970 I have, 1) won't fit in my new case, 2) I doubt my 460w PSU won't power it, 3) is a small space heater.

I sold off the parts of the PC it was originally in to build my ESXi server, I'm actually running off a 8600GTS right now.
Well performance-wise either the 560ti or the 7850 would run the same relatively. You can probably get a used card from [H] or the anandtech forums (or overclockers.com if you have access) for cheaper than new. 7850's run around $150 used at any rate so you could basically exchange the 6950.

I'm almost tempted to see if I can flip mine to bitcoiners, but I don't know if I want to go through that much :effort: for more videocard noise and a minor performance upgrade. If I was limited by case size like you I'd probably be more likely to look into an exchange.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

cheesetriangles posted:

Well did some googling and watched some youtube and got a 190 mhz overclock on the gpu clock and 280 mhz on the memory overclock for my 780. Might me able to push it further because it was totally stable and temps never went above 70 degrees.

First, you have some INSANE ideas about how to go about making games look pretty, unless I'm misunderstanding you - for real, games look better downsampled from an absurd resolution as opposed to high levels of conventional or more modern AA methods that aren't quite so demanding? I mean, godspeed if that's your roll, just, woooah. I thought I was nuts for scouring the net for SGSSAA compatibility bits for any game that doesn't support TXAA (my new favorite in-practice AA method, that guy is so good at making games look great - performance hit closer to 4xMSAA thank 8x with graphics that can't really even be compared to any MSAA because it's a whole different *look* entirely, I'll take it over SMAA or FXAA or MLAA any chance I get. I wish I got more chances.)

Second, I would be careful to call it stable 'til you've played a lot of games with it. Seriously, video card overclocking is way more situational thanks to video card drivers and videogame engines basically being a whole bunch of rather specific hacks that work with the logic in this or that very specific way. And the DX9, DX10, DX11, and OpenGL stuff may or may not be stable at the same clocks. I wish it were as easy as CPU overclocking where you've basically got two or three utilities and you can say with a very, very high degree of confidence that all is working as it should, there just aren't things like that for GPUs. The stress tests and tech demos help but they aren't definitive and artifacts can pop up in unexpected places. But hopefully your OC holds - what kind of performance increase are you seeing relative to clockrate increase on the GPU especially?

Agreed fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jun 2, 2013

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Well I didn't really record any FPS from before the overclock. I have been playing a wide variety of games all night and didn't have any problems but I understand what you mean. We will see if it holds. I decided to give up on OGSSAA because it wasn't giving enough benefit for the performance hit. Just gonna stick with SGSSAA. Games do really look insane when downsampled however. Check out the NeoGaf bullshot thread for some examples.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

cheesetriangles posted:

Mind posting the video and the model of the card that you have?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184701
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDfIxE8gQbY

EVGA GTX 780 standard edition.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Corvettefisher posted:

If you're worried about space and power consumption but can afford to put in a little extra money for an actual upgrade, there's this 670. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121768&Tpk=670%20mini&IsVirtualParent=1

It pulls less power than your old 6970 neé 6950.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

I'm not sure if this would go better in the Haus of Tech Support, but I recently decided that I wanted to move my computer from the gigantic case it's in currently to a mini-ITX case instead so it takes up less room on my desktop. I've used everything I had previously except the motherboard (including a full size Geforce 670) and now the second I install the drivers downloaded from Nvidia's site and restart, the picture on the monitor will switch off about 5 seconds after Windows loads and then will occasionally flicker back on for half a second every so often. It does this in both Windows 7 x64 and Windows 8 x64 and with all of the drivers I've tried (306.97, 310.70, 310.90, 314.22 and 320.18) and I'm tearing my hair out trying to figure out what the hell is wrong since I had this card working with no issues previously.

This seems to be a relatively common problem with Nvidia drivers on Win7/8 x64 and Nvidia even have a KB article about it which hasn't helped at all. I can uninstall the drivers from safe mode and it'll work normally immediately but the second I reinstall the drivers either from the Nvidia site or Windows Update it starts flickering again. I've also tried using Driver Fusion to wipe out any traces of the drivers that are left with no luck.

I'm still using the same CPU (i7-3770K), RAM and power supply (850w Corsair) that I had in the old case and the only thing that's really changed is the motherboard, which is now an Intel DH77DF mini-ITX board. Has anyone here run across anything similar?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Have you tried turning off the onboard graphics in BIOS?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

If you're worried about space and power consumption but can afford to put in a little extra money for an actual upgrade, there's this 670. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121768&Tpk=670%20mini&IsVirtualParent=1

It pulls less power than your old 6970 neé 6950.

Ha look at that, I appreciate it but I went with the 7850, the 3 free games and the fact I really don't need that much power for Source based games.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad
How important is the amount of VRAM above 2GB? I am considering a GTX 770, and Gigabyte has a 4GB version that is out of stock everywhere for ~$460 (http://tinyurl.com/n373wp3), where the other options are 2GB and ~$400 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127741). I occasionally do multi-monitor gaming (2 1920x1200) is the extra 2GB of VRAM worth waiting or paying for?

VV Thanks Alereon VV

Hollis Brown fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 3, 2013

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Hollis Brown posted:

How important is the amount of VRAM above 2GB? I am considering a GTX 770, and Gigabyte has a 4GB version that is out of stock everywhere for ~$460 (http://tinyurl.com/n373wp3), where the other options are 2GB and ~$400 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127741). I occasionally do multi-monitor gaming (2 1920x1200) is the extra 2GB of VRAM worth waiting or paying for?
Yes, buying a 2GB card would be a very poor choice if you want the ability to do multi-monitor gaming.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Alereon posted:

Yes, buying a 2GB card would be a very poor choice if you want the ability to do multi-monitor gaming.

You also mentioned earlier in the thread about getting 4GB in general to be a good idea. Is that also because of the prospect of console port games utilizing future systems' shared 8GB of GDDR5 memory?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Hollis Brown posted:

VV Thanks Alereon VV

You can get a Radeon 7970 GHZ Edition for $400 or even a little less after rebates. It's also generally faster. Of course, it has 3GiB.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 3, 2013

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

You also mentioned earlier in the thread about getting 4GB in general to be a good idea. Is that also because of the prospect of console port games utilizing future systems' shared 8GB of GDDR5 memory?
It has nothing to do with consoles, it's because recent and upcoming graphically intense titles can eat all of 2GB VRAM on ultra settings at 2560x1440 right now.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

TheRationalRedditor posted:

It has nothing to do with consoles, it's because recent and upcoming graphically intense titles can eat all of 2GB VRAM on ultra settings at 2560x1440 right now.

I'm graphics-effects-dumb, how much of that can be taken up by the various methods of anti-aliasing? And where does memory bus size come into all of that? I've read a few comments on various 770 reviews somewhat lamenting missing out on the 384-bit bandwidth that came with GK110 cards like the 780 and Titan. Does the blistering 7 Ghz memory clock on the 770 somewhat make up for it?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Memory bandwidth will do squat for high resolutions like 1440p, those pixels are eating the memory.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
If you're still looking for a gtx 780 sc with the acx cooler you'd probably have better luck in the evga store than amazon. They are typically out of stock but go briefly in stock at about 6:50pm eastern for about 20 minutes. I snagged one on Friday and it shipped today.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Nondescript Van posted:

If you're still looking for a gtx 780 sc with the acx cooler you'd probably have better luck in the evga store than amazon. They are typically out of stock but go briefly in stock at about 6:50pm eastern for about 20 minutes. I snagged one on Friday and it shipped today.
Same here; amazon and newegg were leaving me in the cold for a week, then I was able to get one from EVGA direct (no tax, $5 shipping) in 1 day after setting up auto-notify. It'll be here Thursday...

But after reading the last few pages I'm a little worried that the 3GB memory may end up disappointing me when I inevitably go 5760 x 1080 :ohdear:

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

randyest posted:

Same here; amazon and newegg were leaving me in the cold for a week, then I was able to get one from EVGA direct (no tax, $5 shipping) in 1 day after setting up auto-notify. It'll be here Thursday...

But after reading the last few pages I'm a little worried that the 3GB memory may end up disappointing me when I inevitably go 5760 x 1080 :ohdear:

A single 780 will struggle at 3x1080p no matter how much vram you have, unless you start turning things down.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Magic Underwear posted:

A single 780 will struggle at 3x1080p no matter how much vram you have, unless you start turning things down.
Even the ACX 780 SC? Would a 2nd one SLI'd be enough even though they're just 3GB each?

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

randyest posted:

Even the ACX 780 SC? Would a 2nd one SLI'd be enough even though they're just 3GB each?

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU13/578 - A Titan gets 37 FPS in Far Cry 3 Ultra quality @ 3x1080p. Other games are similar, 30-40fps.

SLI 780s would be pretty beastly even at 3x1080p. I think 3GB would be sufficient, but I can't say for sure.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Magic Underwear posted:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU13/578 - A Titan gets 37 FPS in Far Cry 3 Ultra quality @ 3x1080p. Other games are similar, 30-40fps.

SLI 780s would be pretty beastly even at 3x1080p. I think 3GB would be sufficient, but I can't say for sure.
Thanks. I'd be happy with 30fps; the upgrade path to two 780SC's is a nice backup plan for the future. Most likely I'll be sticking with a single 1080p for a while until I find the exact (super skinny bezel) monitors I want, so I expect this will be enough better than my old 570 to keep me happy for a while.

I was just worried about the vram because I understand SLI'd 3GB cards is still 3GB effective, so I'd hate to get SLI two 780's and find I'm memory limited at 3x1080p.

randyest fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 4, 2013

emuporium
Aug 20, 2004
Sacrilicious
EVGA Custom cooled 780 GTX is in stock from EVGA:
http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=03G-P4-2784-KR

Saw it was out of stock at Newegg and Amazon so I'm assuming its a fairly hot item!

emuporium fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jun 4, 2013

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

I'm graphics-effects-dumb, how much of that can be taken up by the various methods of anti-aliasing? And where does memory bus size come into all of that? I've read a few comments on various 770 reviews somewhat lamenting missing out on the 384-bit bandwidth that came with GK110 cards like the 780 and Titan. Does the blistering 7 Ghz memory clock on the 770 somewhat make up for it?
Only super-sampling AA requires additional memory capacity in any significant way. Multi-sampling needs memory bandwidth, and the various post-process types (FX-, TX-, ML-, and SMAA) hit GPU shader performance hardest (also needing memory and bandwidth to varying extents, but less so).

Buying a >2gb card is mostly about the larger textures available in the big PC releases. Personally I'd say it's only a major requirement if you're buying an expensive card that you plan to keep for years. With a midrange 2gb card you might have to lower the game's texture setting a notch from ultra quality, meh. Not a huge deal, I'll keep going with cheaper cards more frequently myself. I'm sure by the time 2gb feels constricting I'll be ready for a new one.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

HalloKitty posted:

You can get a Radeon 7970 GHZ Edition for $400 or even a little less after rebates. It's also generally faster. Of course, it has 3GiB.

I for one will most likely never buy another AMD card regardless of price or performance. It's not worth it to deal with the frame latency issues plaguing AMD cards lately, or the constantly buying a new game only to find that you can't play it properly for three weeks while AMD unfucks their drivers.

I bought a gtx680 when my 5970 died, and have had exactly zero headaches since.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

The Lord Bude posted:

I bought a gtx680 when my 5970 died, and have had exactly zero headaches since.
Dual-GPU cards tend to have weird problems that other cards won't see though. It'd be like someone buying a 7950GX2 and then swearing off Nvidia cards forever for having bad drivers or prematurely dying, when it was really just a bad card. That's not really an excuse for the 5970 of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Klyith posted:

Only super-sampling AA requires additional memory capacity in any significant way. Multi-sampling needs memory bandwidth, and the various post-process types (FX-, TX-, ML-, and SMAA) hit GPU shader performance hardest (also needing memory and bandwidth to varying extents, but less so).
This isn't really true, MSAA certainly doesn't scale memory demands like SSAA does, but MSAA scales the size of the render target by the number of samples, which adds to a good amount of additional memory.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jun 4, 2013