Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

East gales to 35 kt. Wind waves 17 ft. Scattered showers.

Its time to DIVE

Bishop posted:

/\ Thanks! /\
EJECT! EJECT! (poo poo isn't cheap, I'll have a more substantive response when I have time later :) )

You guys are dangerous! LOL!!
And yes it is not cheap..

Bishop posted:

I think divers that often dive dry like jets more because they offset some of the weight. When diving wet, I've always found jets too heavy. They tend to make me drop my fins too low. I could probably get used to them but why do it when another spring heel stiff fin is out there made for tech divers. Plus I think it generates more power due to being longer than the jets. I also can't see the difference in length being an issue in any overhead situation. If "poo poo I can't fit through here because my fins are too long" enters your head, you probably should not be going through that restriction.

I am so rear end heavy anyway without jets its stupid.. But I just do what I do. I may try some other fins later and see what happens but I love my BLADE WARS WITH WATER!!! I feel like I am hunting water with my jets.

As for restrictions yeah I dont enter those kind of holes.. Claustrophobia SUCKS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macado
Jun 3, 2003

How to keep an idiot busy, Click here.

SlicerDicer posted:

Pfft what kinda tec diver does not use jets. :)

And yes they are heavy as all hell my buddy keeps trying to convince me to use the plastic OMS variant.

I'm a big fan of OMS Slipstreams and I don't really like a lot of OMS gear, especially their huge bungee wings of death but I absolutely love their fins.

The OMS Slipstreams are made of monoprene and are pretty much neutral in the water. They are basically jetfin clones made of a lighter material.

They're great for wetsuit diving but I even use them with my drysuit. I have very heavy legs (big calves) so I don't need the extra weight that the jets provide. I'm also a huge fan of Hollis F1s. Heavy and longer than jet fins. Awesome fins all around.

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Ask me how I gained back all the weight I lost by eating your pets.
Well, I meant to post this earlier in the week but I forgot. Last weekend I completed my advanced open water with Nitrox, and my husband completed his basic open water. Yay! There are pics from that, but I'll post them later because I'm on a much needed Facebook hiatus right now. But, our deep dive for AOW sucked--we passed through two thermoclines on the way down to 60 feet, and even with layered wetsuits, a hood, and gloves, I was still shivering in the deepest one. I also was getting over a cold, so clearing my ears was a bitch on the way down even though I took Mucinex well beforehand (it took me like 15 minutes to go all the way down the line...one of my friends stayed with me the whole way who is a total saint). I now have all the prereqs for getting dive master--which I'd like to have in the near future, so I'm going to keep working closely with my usual instructor since he goes out like every other day and I'm about to be out of school for summer, so I'll have nothing but time to learn more and play.

I've been looking more into dives to do in Belize in July, and apparently the dive center at the resort we will be staying at is terrible. We are staying here, and if you click the linked text and scroll to the reviews that mention the dive ops, you'll see why. Some people mentioned going through another outfit called Avadon Divers that is nearby that is much better/safer, and when I looked at their prices they are also a little bit cheaper than going through the resort and will send a free taxi to pick you up wherever you're staying. So I think that's what we will do (plus avoid whale shark dives since reviews also say no one ever sees them).

Finally, does anyone have this camera? I want it so bad for our trip, and need to order soon because we leave July 3! :dance:

http://www.divers-supply.com/Intova-14MP-Digital-Camera-IC14-P109433.aspx

Hip Hoptimus Prime fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 31, 2013

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

macado posted:

I'm a big fan of OMS Slipstreams and I don't really like a lot of OMS gear, especially their huge bungee wings of death but I absolutely love their fins.
Ah, it's good to have someone else say it first. OMS wings are insane. I'll dive with people using them as long as they are good otherwise but their choice of such a lovely wing is troubling. I mean even a layperson could probably tell that an OMS wing is not a good idea just by looking at it.

As far as fins, my dive rite fins are as simple as it gets. Stiff, long, spring heel, and that's it. That's what I want and that's what I got :)

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

Hip Hoptimus Prime posted:

But, our deep dive for AOW sucked--we passed through two thermoclines on the way down to 60 feet, and even with layered wetsuits, a hood, and gloves, I was still shivering in the deepest one. I also was getting over a cold, so clearing my ears was a bitch on the way down even though I took Mucinex well beforehand (it took me like 15 minutes to go all the way down the line...one of my friends stayed with me the whole way who is a total saint) I now have all the prereqs for getting dive master
Some other people might say this but in general, it's a bad idea to take decongestants to dive when you can't clear your ears at surface level. Many people (and almost every person that works in the dive industry) take decongestents to dive, but you have to realize that they wear off. A 15 minute descent would be something I'd thumb every time. Sometimes you just feel too lovely to dive.

I took some pseudoephedrine for my last dive so I'm not judging. Hell I even put another pill in a pocket in my wetnotes just in case I felt the need to down another mid-dive.

Also: do a bunch of dives before making divemaster enters your mind. I don't mean that in an insulting way or anything, just dive a bunch before you decide it's time to get all of the C-cards.

Bishop fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 31, 2013

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

We've had people who have never dived come to us saying they want to sign up from open water all the way up to divemaster. You can guess what percentage of those end up being (partial) refunds.

Gindack
Jan 30, 2010
Have my first confined water dive this Sunday, can't wait to get into the water practice not drowning.

Now for my mask I have been using some foam cleaner (forgot the name/brand and I'm at work) to get the film off but I can't seem to get the edges of the lenses to stay clear. Is that normal? Worse comes to worse I take a lighter to it and try not to ruin the skirt.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

I have to say that I've been shocked to the point of embarrassment at the poor diving skills of some of the other DMC's out of my shop. One girl I know has just finished hers(!) - she still can't hover or hold a safety stop. After one 30 metre dive, we were on the SS and being assessed on our hover. She tried, sank like a rock and was still venting on the way down. I went down and grabbed her, brought her back up to 5 metres, let her go again and had to grab her again 5 seconds later to stop her shooting to the surface. I was pretty shocked they actually passed her off to be honest. She's now a DM. She wasn't a zero to hero either. One of the instructors in my shop did that - from non diver to MSDT in a few months. Pretty crazy really - that's where I think the BSAC system of mandating a minimum number of dives before progression really makes sense. He was doing 4 or 5 dives a day on the same site to get up to his 100 dives for the IDC. Not great experience really.

Yeah Macado, the Hollis F1's are the tits - alot of people find them too stiff and hard work but I have cyclists legs :D I'm probably going to have to hold off on the tech stuff as I've just bought a new bike haha! Also the Hollis M1 mask may well be the best bit of gear I own, it's absurdly good!

I was thinking about getting some paint for my F1's to make the tips yellow. Pretty much all my gear is black, so I have a hard time being visible to clients as a DM. Hollis sell a pair like this already, but I don't really want to pay out to replace my perfectly good fins!

Tomberforce fucked around with this message at 12:43 on May 31, 2013

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium

Well, I meant to post this earlier in the week but I forgot. Last weekend I completed my advanced open water with Nitrox, and my husband completed his basic open water. Yay! There are pics from that, but I'll post them later because I'm on a much needed Facebook hiatus right now. But, our deep dive for AOW sucked--we passed through two thermoclines on the way down to 60 feet, and even with layered wetsuits, a hood, and gloves, I was still shivering in the deepest one. I also was getting over a cold, so clearing my ears was a bitch on the way down even though I took Mucinex well beforehand (it took me like 15 minutes to go all the way down the line...one of my friends stayed with me the whole way who is a total saint). I now have all the prereqs for getting dive master--which I'd like to have in the near future, so I'm going to keep working closely with my usual instructor since he goes out like every other day and I'm about to be out of school for summer, so I'll have nothing but time to learn more and play.

I've been looking more into dives to do in Belize in July, and apparently the dive center at the resort we will be staying at is terrible. We are staying here, and if you click the linked text and scroll to the reviews that mention the dive ops, you'll see why. Some people mentioned going through another outfit called Avadon Divers that is nearby that is much better/safer, and when I looked at their prices they are also a little bit cheaper than going through the resort and will send a free taxi to pick you up wherever you're staying. So I think that's what we will do (plus avoid whale shark dives since reviews also say no one ever sees them).

Finally, does anyone have this camera? I want it so bad for our trip, and need to order soon because we leave July 3! :dance:

http://www.divers-supply.com/Intova-14MP-Digital-Camera-IC14-P109433.aspx

If you're looking to spend a little more you can get some really good deals on some of the older Olympus PEN camera's that would double nicely as a good camera on land too.

http://www.adorama.com/IOMPTEP01.html Housing for $250, could probably get the camera, E-PL1 for as little as $100 off craigslist or ebay.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

eviljelly posted:

We've had people who have never dived come to us saying they want to sign up from open water all the way up to divemaster. You can guess what percentage of those end up being (partial) refunds.
Hell, I'm not a divemaster! Rescue is as high as I've gone with PADI. Life got in the way of the DM course I was signed up for. I still have the course materials and a patch that says "divemaster" though. Good enough for me :cool:

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

Bishop posted:

Hell, I'm not a divemaster! Rescue is as high as I've gone with PADI. Life got in the way of the DM course I was signed up for. I still have the course materials and a patch that says "divemaster" though. Good enough for me :cool:

That hologram is worth some cash...

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Bishop posted:

I am a OWSI doubt I will go any further with PADI just due to my entire thing I do right now with rebreathering its kinda beyond me. Though its nice to be able to certify friends and such. Help out people who cant afford the classes that I know.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

Crunkjuice posted:

Never knew that since i don't dive tec. Looking at the PADI standards now it doesn't specifically outlaw tec gear per se, but standard tec gear violates their equipment standards correct? Only thing i see that violates PADI standards is you need to have a quick release weight system and weights
Yeah our weighting system is basically. "gently caress my rig weighs a lot, how big of a wing do I need to offset it?" Then you have to worry about redundancy. No weight belts required. Drysuit divers might put a V weight on the threads of their doubles, but that's not dump-able. I do get a little positive towards the very end while diving double AL 80s and one deco bottle. Mainly because I've gained weight. That really only starts happening when my backgass is less than 500psi and I'm though most of my deco tank.

One of the things I had to do for a trimix course was swim my entire rig (steel 108s, two deco bottles, lights, and everything else) up from 130' to 100' with my wing completely deflated and that poo poo is hard. I made it to 100', barely. The entire point of the exercise was to show that you can't swim yourself to the surface if your wing fails, so make some backup plans.

Since I don't have a drysuit still, my backup plan involves a 60 pound lift bag and some luck. (E: also dumping a ton of poo poo that hopefully DAN will cover)

Bishop fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 31, 2013

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE
Bishop,

I have seen CCR divers strap 2x4 to their tank to make it neutral LOL

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Less fighting, more diving and photographing! Have an album with the 38 best pictures we took from our 8 dives in St Lucia (also we are both AOW now) over the past week:

http://imgur.com/a/msJii

And some highlight pictures:

There were lots of spotted eels.

Vibrant and colorful reefs:

Near the Pitons, this resort is ridiculously expensive and each room has its own infinity pool apparently. That wasn't where we stayed, FYI.

Mrs jackyl going through Devil's Arch

And its just as impressive going through it, also shallow enough for red shift to not be an issue.

Lots and lots of trumpet fish and spider crabs:

Us at the Lesleen M and I don't think she's throwing up a gang sign, but maybe?

I only included this piture because my camera batteries died immediately after I took it, and we were like 6 minutes into a shallow dive, so you know what that means, right? loving amazing dive coming up. I had no idea. Almost immediately after taking it, the first thing I saw was a spotted moray and lobster hanging out like 6 inches from each other...

... then my wife finds a large starfish, we see a bunch of large crabs then the DM starts doing some crazy sign I hadn't seen before and I was thinking "what the hell, it looks like she is riding a horse??? OH HOLY poo poo" And yeah, a seahorse just chilling in about 15 feet of water that was probably a good 4 inches or more long. Then some flounders and large eels and lobsters and why didn't we charge the camera the night before?

We did get another shot at starfish, but these were smaller and note out in the wide open, so the picture isn't as good. also I didn't even see this, she did and took the picture but couldn't get my attention in time before we drifted past it. :smith:

More spiders

And a friendly turtle mentioned in the dive briefing. One for scale and one for how close you could get:

How could I not take this picture?

And the last underwater picture I took. Also probably the best lobster picture I have taken or ever will take!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

So jealous. The only place I've ever seen coral banded shrimp and sally lightfoot crabs is in the local fish store :(

Looks like an awesome dive!

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

SaNChEzZ posted:

So jealous. The only place I've ever seen coral banded shrimp and sally lightfoot crabs is in the local fish store :(

Looks like an awesome dive!

Gonna go ahead and leave my idiocy there for the world to see, but thanks for the correction! We both talked about working on our fish ID, and we have that section of the AOW book, but I think it only comes with practice, practice, practice.

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Bishop posted:

Some other people might say this but in general, it's a bad idea to take decongestants to dive when you can't clear your ears at surface level. Many people (and almost every person that works in the dive industry) take decongestents to dive, but you have to realize that they wear off. A 15 minute descent would be something I'd thumb every time. Sometimes you just feel too lovely to dive.

I took some pseudoephedrine for my last dive so I'm not judging. Hell I even put another pill in a pocket in my wetnotes just in case I felt the need to down another mid-dive.

Also: do a bunch of dives before making divemaster enters your mind. I don't mean that in an insulting way or anything, just dive a bunch before you decide it's time to get all of the C-cards.

Yeah. Basically, I went down to meet the depth requirement, then thumbed to come back up. My instructor who was leading the class (not the person who buddied with me for that horrid descent) has seen me dive to 60 feet without difficulty on other occasions so it was all good. But I don't plan on doing that ever again (diving with a cold), because it's been almost a week and now I feel like there's an ear infection coming on as a result. Bah. I am gonna go to urgent care tomorrow morning.

I'm not insulted at all by your DM comment! I have to raise my eyebrows a bit at people who go from nothing to DM in like a month, or less. I don't think that's really a good plan. August will be a year since I started diving, so my OW and AOW were spaced out by like 10 months with a bunch of dives in between (and I did rescue/dry suit/full face mask courses in between but spaced out a couple months between each and with lots of inservice dives to keep up skills). I plan on just diving as much as I can during the next year, and see how I feel. I'm feeling like I need a break from certifications and I just want to do fun stuff for a good while. :cool:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

jackyl posted:

Gonna go ahead and leave my idiocy there for the world to see, but thanks for the correction! We both talked about working on our fish ID, and we have that section of the AOW book, but I think it only comes with practice, practice, practice.

In just a hobbyist aquarium nerd with 6 OW dives under his belt :p

I'm still jealous as hell!

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

jackyl posted:

Less fighting, more diving and photographing!
Ok Boss

Nice clam I saw when we took a trip up to ningaloo reef.

We were here to swim with these guys those. Saw two juvenile males, one about 5m long and one about 8m. So graceful and drat fast. Had to power along to keep up. At one stage, after a few times in the water, we were allowed to freedive around the shark, and one guy went right under to try and sex the shark, and I got to see it bank it was awesome.

Saw my first sharks when I scuba dived on the navy pier there. A couple of 2m black tip reefs just hanging out.

This guy was awesome. A QLD grouper that lives under the pier. We jumped in the water, and sat at the bottom while the rest of the other group did their checks and stuff, and he was immediately over and checking us out. Freaking massive fish, probably as long as I am tall (1.8m) and just so solid. I got to pat him as he swam past, and the DM was sratching his chin. So cool.

Apologies for the lovely pics, but it was an afternoon dive and the vis was low and I had no lights on my lovely cameramask.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Yeah. Basically, I went down to meet the depth requirement, then thumbed to come back up. My instructor who was leading the class (not the person who buddied with me for that horrid descent) has seen me dive to 60 feet without difficulty on other occasions so it was all good. But I don't plan on doing that ever again (diving with a cold), because it's been almost a week and now I feel like there's an ear infection coming on as a result. Bah. I am gonna go to urgent care tomorrow morning.

I been diving with a cold for 4 weeks this crap wont go away :(

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
Guys quit posting awesome pics I can't figure out which ones to put in the OP. Let's just argue more or something.

SlicerDicer posted:

I been diving with a cold for 4 weeks this crap wont go away :(
I seem to develop cold like symptoms after about a week of solid deco diving. It might be the water temp, it might just be a sinus issue, or maybe my immune system is starting to slow down. Correlation is not causation and such but it does seem to happen quite often.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Bishop posted:

Guys quit posting awesome pics I can't figure out which ones to put in the OP. Let's just argue more or something.
I seem to develop cold like symptoms after about a week of solid deco diving. It might be the water temp, it might just be a sinus issue, or maybe my immune system is starting to slow down. Correlation is not causation and such but it does seem to happen quite often.

I hear that commercial divers, dudes who deco/chamber hardcore every working day, only stay in water for about a decade due to concerns about the stresses of repeated decompression on the body. I don't know too much about repeated decompression on the body, but if something along those lines is true, then i guess it wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility to feel something after a lot of deco diving?

Love me some recreational dive limits personally

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
I don't know. To be honest, once you get into trimix the science gets very thin. We're not quite sure exactly what the effects of decompression or breathing helium at those pressures hundreds of times are. Things seem to work fine but especially when it comes to helium, we simply have not been diving with it long enough to have good studies on it. I'd love to have someone come drop a study that makes me wrong, but I don't think it exists yet. We are science experiments.

And er, in case anyone did not notice, I'm talking about the dumb stuff that me, slicer, macado, pupdive, and a few others ITT do. Not normal diving.

Bishop fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jun 1, 2013

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Bishop posted:

I don't know. To be honest, once you get into trimix the science gets very thin. We're not quite sure exactly what the effects of decompression or breathing helium at those pressures hundreds of times are. Things seem to work fine but especially when it comes to helium, we simply have not been diving with it long enough to have good studies on it. I'd love to have someone come drop a study that makes me wrong, but I don't think it exists yet. We are science experiments.

And er, in case anyone did not notice, I'm talking about the dumb stuff that me, slicer, macado, and a few others ITT do. Not normal diving.

Well I will be doing about 50 trimix dives a year or more will let you know :P

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

SlicerDicer posted:

Well I will be doing about 50 trimix dives a year or more will let you know :P
Don't worry dude we're going down together if this helium nonsense turns out to be a bad idea.
If anyone is interested in the hard science: The Navy Experimental Diving Unit is a good place to start looking for studies. Also Duke university has a very good hypobaric medicine program.
at a certain point, poo poo just starts getting really complicated. Example:

quote:

In fact, evidence overwhelmingly indicates that the components of gas mixtures breathed by divers conform to Henry's law in aqueous solutions over ranges of gas partial pressure and hydrostatic pressure that far exceed those encountered physiologically, provided that the hydrostatic pressure-dependence of the solubility and gas binding to specific saturable sites on proteins or other solutes in the liquid are properly taken into account.
Now I can parse that sentence (barely, it's a crazy one), but honestly there is nothing I've ever seen that does not boil down to: "you just might get unlucky". Don't do deco diving if you aren't willing to possibly get bent.

Bishop fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jun 1, 2013

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Spent a glorious, 80 degree afternoon yesterday in the pool with a mask and snorkel on, practicing clearing as I descended down a rope I tied to a 25 pound plate weight hanging off my friends diving board. The deep end was only 10 feet but I got a lot of good practice in clearing with Valsalva, especially upside down. I can now get the right ear, the easy one, to clear all the way to 10 feet upside down, but lefty is still a problem.

I also almost gave his girlfriend a heart attack. She didn't know we were home and when she walked by the sliding glass door into the yard, saw me floating face down in the pool and apparently sprinted halfway there, ready to dive in to save me, before my friend saw her and shouted for her to stop. My snorkel is light blue and hard to see against the pool background and she didn't see her boyfriend tanning to the side (I was sticking my finger above water every now and then to let him know I was ok). I was pretty relaxed and didn't really hear him shout, and surfaced after a good breath hold to find her really upset :smith: Made up for it with a good bottle of wine and we laughed about it latter, but I'll have to be more careful pretending to be a dead body!

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
Awesome. Having easy access to a pool makes working on the basic skills like mask clearing much easier. It's a great way to build comfort. As you get more comfortable, work on removing, replacing, then clearing the mask, and other stuff. It's actually kind of a fun challenge to sink yourself, do a removal replace and clear, then surface while on a breath hold.

Crunkjuice posted:

That hologram is worth some cash...
I don't understand the patch part. Who actually uses them? One of these days, I'm gonna take a wet-suit that is already on its way out and just sew all the damned patches onto it and see the reaction I get. At least the IANTD ones are subtle, basically my avatar minus the wording around it. But they give you a different colored one for each level and I don't even know which one is the most hardcore or whatever.

Er, also I'll start taking bids on a divemaster patch. Or any of them really. No diving experience required.

Bishop fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 1, 2013

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Driving today I think I figured out an important step for me: I was pinching my nose too far up the nostril. Instead of pinching halfway up the nose, above the nostril openings, I pinched at the very bottom and both ears cleared right away. Its not 100% but I can usually seem to get both now. I don't know, maybe that gives more room for air pressure or something?

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

cheese posted:

Driving today I think I figured out an important step for me: I was pinching my nose too far up the nostril. Instead of pinching halfway up the nose, above the nostril openings, I pinched at the very bottom and both ears cleared right away. Its not 100% but I can usually seem to get both now. I don't know, maybe that gives more room for air pressure or something?
In my experience, if you can clear your ears by holding onto any part of the nostrils while at surface level, you are good to go. If something happens and you have trouble clearing on the way down, thumb the dive. If anybody with you tries to give you poo poo about thumbing a dive for any reason ever, don't dive with them. That's one of my hard rules. You can thumb the dive because you have decided that a sticker on my tank looks dumb. Any reason, no debate unless it's brought up much later in the context of what went wrong. I think a lot of accidents happen because people are afraid to thumb a dive. Just ask rockcity, poor bastard drove down to Key Largo to dive with me and I thumbed it 15 minutes in because it was night and terrible vis and I was not going to take any more risks.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Bishop posted:

Just ask rockcity, poor bastard drove down to Key Largo to dive with me and I thumbed it 15 minutes in because it was night and terrible vis and I was not going to take any more risks.

Can you explain how this wasnt a dick move? It couldnt have been a surprise that you were night diving, and on a night dive even with poor vis you should be able to maintain contact with your buddy since you both have flashlights. So basically you made your buddy drive down a long ways and then quit because you were bored of the dive?

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

cheese posted:

You probably weren't closing your nostrils when you pinched up high. If you feel around your nose, the bottom of it where your nostrils are, its soft tissue. Higher up its cartilage, and isn't nearly as flexible. This is one of those experience things that you kind of figure out after diving a while.

eviljelly posted:

Can you explain how this wasnt a dick move? It couldnt have been a surprise that you were night diving, and on a night dive even with poor vis you should be able to maintain contact with your buddy since you both have flashlights. So basically you made your buddy drive down a long ways and then quit because you were bored of the dive?

Because its safety first. This right here is a prime example of a possible peer pressure situation to push someones limits. Yes Bishop is a tec diver, and a talented one at that, but if he thinks conditions are too poor to dive then he 100% has the right to call the dive, regardless of his dive buddies driving/financial situation. I don't know the story specifically, but he said "night, terrible vis, no more risks". That sounds like a safety issue to me.

Scuba is inherently risky. Hence all the liability forms. Not only is the risk to your health, but to your wallet at times. Sometimes weather fucks up charters and you have to reschedule, or depending on how you dive, are poo poo out of luck. No matter the weather, financial, emotional situation, safety has to come first.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

eviljelly posted:

Sure. I'm a pretty competent boater and very familiar with the waters off of Key Largo. I have a 27 foot center console runabout that is very good in rough seas and I trust it. Because of an accident on a bridge going into the Keys, he did not make it until it was already night. In general, one thing I do is these situations is call someone and tell them, "If I don't call you by X time, call the Miami Coast Guard and tell them that two divers are lost off of [the dive site we are going to]. I also let the dock master know that I am heading out to sea and that they should expect me to return.

I could probably have gotten to the Spiegel Grove wreck just by using flashing markers, but my new runabout has a GPS chart plotter which makes life a million times easier. Basically it shows you a depth chart with your boat overlaid on with the boats exact position. Seas were a bit rough, but nothing insane.

My main mistake was mooring up to the wrong buoy. I have something like a hundred dives on the Spiegel and this was the first time I was on what they call a "crossover buoy". The line splits at about 30 feet. One way goes to the wreck, the other just goes to the sand. I chose wrong and at around 100' knew I had done so. I took us back up to the point where the lines branch off, then took us back down. We got to the wreck but the vis was very bad. Our down line took us to the port aft part of the ship and I tried to keep us along that side of the wreck so I could navigate us back. At a certain point I decided that I was not completely sure I could get us back to the correct line and I thumbed the dive, took us to the nearest line, and surfaced. There were also gas issues. I did not feel that I could do a safe ascent while sharing gas considering what I had left. I was just on an AL80.

I knew that the current was not that bad when we first jumped in so I decided to get to the nearest line and deal with swimming to my boat once surfacing. Left my buddy on the buoy while swimming to my boat because if I could not make it at least someone is still stable on a line.

None of this is as bad as it sounds, I'm just giving you my exact thought process as that dive occurred. My worst mistake was forgetting to take off the dive ladder after we had both gotten back on board. The boat started listing a bit and I briefly thought we were taking on water (and adjusted course towards the shallowest water/land) before realizing that I left the ladder in and it was causing drag.

E: Because of the conditions this was a dangerous dive. I knew it, he knew it, and I thumbed it the moment I thought I might have lost control. I don't give a gently caress about a lot of gear choices but once someone thumbs a dive we're surfacing as quickly as is safely possible. If you give me poo poo about thumbing a dive I never dive with you again. (That's not directed at you or anyone else BTW)

Bishop fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jun 2, 2013

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Bishop posted:

In my experience, if you can clear your ears by holding onto any part of the nostrils while at surface level, you are good to go. If something happens and you have trouble clearing on the way down, thumb the dive. If anybody with you tries to give you poo poo about thumbing a dive for any reason ever, don't dive with them. That's one of my hard rules. You can thumb the dive because you have decided that a sticker on my tank looks dumb. Any reason, no debate unless it's brought up much later in the context of what went wrong. I think a lot of accidents happen because people are afraid to thumb a dive. Just ask rockcity, poor bastard drove down to Key Largo to dive with me and I thumbed it 15 minutes in because it was night and terrible vis and I was not going to take any more risks.

Pfft, go up 2m and clear go back down and clear! DOOO EEEET... :)

Note: I can pull off diving with sinus issues as I have staying power and can work to surface over a very long period of time. Bloody discharge from the nose is not good, and at worst you blow your eardrums out and never dive again.

eviljelly posted:

Anybody who dives with me knows I will leave any reason I dont feel right. If they do not like it they are free to stay otherwise trust my judgement. I am still alive am I not??

Bishop posted:

E: Because of the conditions this was a dangerous dive. I knew it, he knew it, and I thumbed it the moment I thought I might have lost control. I don't give a gently caress about a lot of gear choices but once someone thumbs a dive we're surfacing as quickly as is safely possible. If you give me poo poo about thumbing a dive I never dive with you again. (That's not directed at you or anyone else BTW)

Agreed, cause when poo poo goes sideways it turns not only upside down but soggy and splattered with unholy amounts of poo poo... and lets face it you cant breathe water.

The above should be in the PADI Open Water Manual LOL

SlicerDicer fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jun 2, 2013

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Bishop posted:

In my experience, if you can clear your ears by holding onto any part of the nostrils while at surface level, you are good to go.
Sounds good, thanks.

Crunkjuice posted:

You probably weren't closing your nostrils when you pinched up high. If you feel around your nose, the bottom of it where your nostrils are, its soft tissue. Higher up its cartilage, and isn't nearly as flexible. This is one of those experience things that you kind of figure out after diving a while.
Ya playing around with it now I think I wasn't making a perfect seal.

Mr.AARP
Apr 20, 2010

I was born after Kurt Cobain died. Now you feel old.

As someone who also has problems clearing, I have to valsavla and swallow at the same time.

I know it's looked down upon, but as someone who has seasonal allergies, I'll usually pop a 12 hour extended release Sudafed prior to diving which greatly helps with equalizing. I know my nose well enough to tell when I'm just stuffed up or have a cold going on and will not dive with the latter.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE
I normally post cool pictures. These are neat but far from cool.. This is something destroying the reef where I dive.

Just decimated rice coral.. this stuff grows SOOO slow..

Looks like somebody poured bleach on reef. Then scoured it.

Some serious spots on there of death... Its just dying

This is just decimated much like bleach above.

gently caress it here is a cool picture..
Baby Hawksbill Turtle with Remoras hitching a ride!!
Super Rare :)

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

I never should have done that 60 foot dive with a cold. I now have the most horrible ear infection ever and I am certain the two are related, because I have never had an ear infection in my life. My left ear is blocked so bad, I can barely hear out of it. I went to urgent care yesterday and they prescribed drops, but the pressure caused by the fluid is pretty uncomfortable. Meanwhile, next week at work I legitimately cannot miss any days because of what we have going on, even if I can't hear out of one ear while it heals.

Not worth it and not doing that ever again (diving with a cold).

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Had two short dives in terrible via and cold water today but loved it. Near then end of my BSAC sports diver now and the two dives were about using surface marker boys and running a line. I was fine with the line when I was letting it run out but reeling it back in while controlling my buoyancy started to task load me abit. Vis went down to practically zero in one part of the lake which was an interesting experience and on a slightly. Quite pleased with my choice of bright line for the reel I bought as it stood out very well in the gloom whereas white was invisible till it tried to tangle fins.

Oh yeah spot all the wrong things in this pic

Loving Africa Chaps fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gindack
Jan 30, 2010
Just got back from my pool dive today and man it was amazing, but I have discovered that I have absolutely no sense of control. On the surface it felt like my BCD want to put my face in the water(think too much weight in the front pockets) and not let me stand straight up. Under the water only way I could hover for the skill check was to do it face down rear end up.

Have to say my favorite part was at the very end when my Instructor had to help another student at the surface I just laid at the bottom of the pool looking up and watching my bubbles break the surface.

Also what do you guys think of the Gopro? Are they a decent entry level recorder/camera? I can get a pretty decent discount through work so I was thinking about picking one up.

Gindack fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jun 3, 2013