Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I'd just like to repeat that a lot of things said in the anime thread, while perhaps not 100% appropriate for that thread, aren't going to spoil people on their own. It's only when someone posts saying "Hey, that's a spoiler!" that it gets ugly. So, uh, please don't do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Oh kicking Christ, that's just perfect. :allears:
But who would be Hayashida? Mikasa?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

From the anime thread:

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

I was avoiding mentioning that. This is the anime thread, man.
Dude, posting that is way worse than what you were responding to in terms of spoiling things.

Like, what you were responding to was barely a spoiler (it made me a bit uncomfortable, but, eh, Ymir is named Ymir, and the anime thread knows that, even if maybe they shouldn't), but that is a big ol' red flag saying SOMETHING IS UP WITH YMIR!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Bremen posted:

It's only when someone posts saying "Hey, that's a spoiler!" that it gets ugly. So, uh, please don't do that.
This. Stop calling attention to speculation, morons.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Jackard posted:

This. Stop calling attention to speculation, morons.

More importantly, report it and let Zorak make sure the lesson sticks.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Ugh, what a dumb move that was. My first impulse was to send a PM but the guy doesn't have PM, and so I did a stupid thing.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

StrifeHira posted:

Oh kicking Christ, that's just perfect. :allears:
But who would be Hayashida? Mikasa?

Maybe. I threw the mohawk on Reiner before, but it'd be funny throwing it on her. Plus, Armin as Maeda or vice versa would be incredible just because of how snarky and straight-man Maeda is.

As for the anime, it's been such a rush seeing everything in motion. And I was hopping all about when the music from the intro to Episode 1 showed up again. That alone would make me shell out cash for the soundtrack.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Also yeah the Anime thread should know who Ymir is, it was in that stupid "POWER LEVELS" thing that was posted a way back.

Zeikier posted:

There he is!

Freddy!

That looks like Bradley from FMA..

Affi fucked around with this message at 10:08 on May 30, 2013

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I haven't really been into manga/anime in a decade (Save for binging through 60+ episodes of Bleach in about 3 weeks in 2006,) but I saw enough hype about AoT around the internet to pique my interest. I wound up watching all the current episodes of the anime in a single sitting last weekend and read the entire manga run in less than a day this week. Holy crap, this series gets its hooks in you fast. I think a good deal of that has to do with the pacing - I didn't realize this was a monthly series rather than a weekly when I started reading it, so I was bracing myself for a lot of chapters where nothing significant happens.

It actually reminds me a lot of Lost in terms of its economy of story, mixing progression in the main plot with a roughly equal dose of character moments both in the present and through flashbacks. Of course, I say that having been able to go from chapter to chapter without pause. Now that I'm caught up I'm sure I'll find the waiting interminable and feel unsatisfied when I hit the cliffhanger every month. (I'm already tempering my expectations for the next chapter, because I just can't believe that Berholdt and Reiner will get to give even part of their side of the story so soon.)

My biggest "oh poo poo" reaction thus far stems from the relatively brisk pacing: the second appearance of the Colossal Titan. As Eren was giving his big "Humanity's comeback begins today!" speech, I assumed we were in for a short arc of the graduates joining the Scouting Legion and taking a few tentative excursions into Wall Maria territory before the story proper would kick into gear. When the Colossal Titan appeared I was sure it was going to be a figment of his imagination, or a dramatic piece of imagery for the heck of it. Just like the characters, it took me a second to process what was happening. The first of a lot of fantastic moments that totally subvert audience expectations.

Bring Back Noid
Sep 16, 2005

Zeikier posted:

There he is!

+

Bring Back Noid fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 30, 2013

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

They really should revamp Colossus with a Freddie stache.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

This thread's reminded me that I still haven't watched Cromartie High School. Is it as awesome and bizarre as it looks?

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Ugh, what a dumb move that was. My first impulse was to send a PM but the guy doesn't have PM, and so I did a stupid thing.

That's why the report button exists, dipshit.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

U-DO Burger posted:

That's why the report button exists
Yeah, to expand a bit... I've probably made a fool of myself reporting some spoilers that weren't really spoilers in a fit of stupid panic when I read some accurate speculation in the anime thread... but at least in that case only Zorak got to read my stupidity. If you've really got to do something, just report things, for minimum potential damage. I'm glad that's all I've done in the past.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

U-DO Burger posted:

That's why the report button exists, dipshit.

I think that is a premium feature anyway. Eh. Or someone removed mine.. wow.. maybe they did?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Affi posted:

I think that is a premium feature anyway. Eh. Or someone removed mine.. wow.. maybe they did?

Yup, the report function comes with Platinum. I'd imagine mods would get flooded by reports otherwise.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

U-DO Burger posted:

This thread's reminded me that I still haven't watched Cromartie High School. Is it as awesome and bizarre as it looks?
Thread got me started on it too, it's really well done.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

U-DO Burger posted:

Yes. Yes it is.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Don't forget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrI7QUJfkvI

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

Oh yes. Funny thing is Production IG worked on Cromartie, and one of their options is working on Titan.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So after discovering this thread I spent a day and a half marathoning my way through it and for the most part I love it. It really hooked me in early on when Eren's mother was crushed under the rubble. There's the classic scene of "forget about me and keep my kids safe" which was expected. What really blew me out of the water though was when she snapped and broke out of that begging to not be left behind. Really pushed the hopeless feel of the comic.

It almost lost me when we discovered that Eren can turn into a titan. I was afraid it was going to go in a horrible direction of "Now that I got this ultimate power, we can save humanity. But my true strength is my friendship with you guys! Now let's Kamehameha wave our way to victory!" The fact that they have totally avoided that at all costs has been a wave of relief.

My one real complaint about the manga is the total blocking of finding out any real information. There's a lot of horror out that works best with out answers but I don't feel this comic is one of them. Mainly because the comic it self hints and points to the fact that there's an actual answer out there but refuses to explain what it is.

There's something in the basement! Let's never go there.
We captured an enemy spy! Oh now she's trapped in crystal and we can't question her.
This politician knows why there's titans in the wall! But he refuses to say why and we're gonna respectfully drop the subject.

It drives me crazy.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Christa is the next goalpost if we don't get any answers in the upcoming chapter.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Which is where the story should have gone next instead of starting this Eren and Ymir are kidnapped storyline. I'm also not entirely convinced that Christa won't get killed or put into a coma before she has a chance to explain anything.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Volume posted:

My one real complaint about the manga is the total blocking of finding out any real information. There's a lot of horror out that works best with out answers but I don't feel this comic is one of them. Mainly because the comic it self hints and points to the fact that there's an actual answer out there but refuses to explain what it is.

There's something in the basement! Let's never go there.
We captured an enemy spy! Oh now she's trapped in crystal and we can't question her.
This politician knows why there's titans in the wall! But he refuses to say why and we're gonna respectfully drop the subject.

It drives me crazy.
It's good to keep in mind just how little time has passed. They took their time preparing for their first expedition outside the walls (for the purpose of going to that basement), but as soon as that ended (badly), they got caught up in their plot to catch Annie (where they learned the priests know about the walls), which was immediately followed by news that the wall had been breached. Even then the priest did say Christa should be able to tell them something, and they in fact made a beeline for her when the current bullshit erupted.

None of these things are dropped plot threads. They're all things that are being pursued with all due diligence. There's just a lot of poo poo going on.

I can't say I mind that balance, even though I really want to know what the heck is going on!

And you're not keeping in mind all the things we have learned. The walls themselves were kind of a mystery for the longest time, and now we know what they're made of, at least, if not how or why. The seemingly intelligent colossal titan and armored titan were mysteries. Eventually it became clear they were like Eren, piloted titans, and then it was a mystery who they were... and god drat was that a reveal!

There is definitely progress being made, and the mysteries are pretty clearly established with an answer in mind, so try and just enjoy the ride. It'll probably be a while before we get the answers, but when we do, that means the story will be over, more or less, so don't be too impatient.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012
^^^ Thankfully it seems that we may be getting some answers soon though. With Reiner and co stuck up in those trees while they recover at least some talking has to get done. Bert also didn't take Historia with him, and since Hanji is too injured to join the pursuit I expect some questioning to be happening on her end at some point too. Whether or not Historia actually knows anything though is anybody's guess right now ...

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Pensive posted:

^^^ Thankfully it seems that we may be getting some answers soon though. With Reiner and co stuck up in those trees while they recover at least some talking has to get done. Bert also didn't take Historia with him, and since Hanji is too injured to join the pursuit I expect some questioning to be happening on her end at some point too. Whether or not Historia actually knows anything though is anybody's guess right now ...

Historia/Christa probably doesn't know anything. The priest is just using a loophole in their pledge of secrecy to divulge information. He's probably going to tell Historia the secrets, and then Historia can tell the rest of the Recon Corps. That way he doesn't break his oath because he did tell a blood relative, after all.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

chami posted:

Historia/Christa probably doesn't know anything. The priest is just using a loophole in their pledge of secrecy to divulge information. He's probably going to tell Historia the secrets, and then Historia can tell the rest of the Recon Corps. That way he doesn't break his oath because he did tell a blood relative, after all.

I got the impression that the priest wasn't talking because, despite seeing the harm caused by titans, he still didn't think it was worth talking (and to the extent that he would be willing to die, so it has nothing to do with potential repercussions he might suffer). That is, I think he's a true believer. He obviously wants to help in some way, or else he wouldn't have mentioned Christa, but at the very least I doubt Christa knows as much as he does and I doubt he's going to tell her anything.

edit: This sort of ties into what I said earlier about expecting there to be some pretty legit reason for the motivations of both the inner-wall sect and Reiner/Bertholm's people.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser
Piggybacking off of the last few posts, here's the page(s) from the manga where the priest is talking about Historia: http://www.batoto.net/read/_/130237/shingeki-no-kyojin_v9_ch37_by_tdx/28

On the first page he says that Historia doesn't know anything but has the right to know/share secrets, on the next page he's all "I bet she already knows the deep dark secrets even I don't know and maybe she'll even tell you". Presumably this is a translation problem, is there a better scan anywhere?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
As excited as I am for the next chapter, I've just got a sinking feeling that we'll just get a debriefing of the people on the wall, with talking about and planning going after Eren or something. It'll probably wind up ending with a group running into trouble as they leave to rescue Eren, and then also Christa will go "Well, here's what I know" but then they'll end it, so we'll have not one, but THREE cliffhangers to wait ANOTHER month for. :suicide:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Pensive posted:

Unfortunately Christa is determined to go on the rescue operation (for Ymir), and so rather than safely being questioned by Hanji while poo poo's going on, there's actually a serious possibility that something will go tragically wrong on this expedition and our precious answers will never be delivered.

Or at least, I could see them using that fear for drama. It feels like it's about time for some answers after this arc.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm wondering how they'll avoid a second battle with Eren against Reiner/Bertholt. I don't see how they'll be able to keep him calm enough to actually listen to them and not immediately flip out.

PowFu
Dec 31, 2010
I figure his exhaustion will play a part in that.

They could also try to reason with him: "You don't know where you are and have no 3d gear. If you turn titan and break these trees you will be stuck outside the Wall Rose surrounded by titans".

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I'm wondering how they'll avoid a second battle with Eren against Reiner/Bertholt. I don't see how they'll be able to keep him calm enough to actually listen to them and not immediately flip out.
Well, remember that Eren's personal driving force is COMPLETE GLOBAL EXTINCTION of Titans, so that gives Reiner and Bertholt avenues of dialogue that can convince Eren to not flip his poo poo and have him hear them out. Will Eren still be irrational and angry? Oh hell yes. If Eren manages to remain calm during all of this, either something was said by Reiner/Bertholt to shut him up....or he's quietly planning his next mass murder by luring his targets into a false sense of security. My money will be on the latter, for the record.

Plus, Eren's probably weakened from his previous transformation, meaning he's not going to transform immediately. Then there's the fact that Ymir is also there, meaning she can play the "keep Eren under control" role while letting Reiner and Bertholt talk.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Zeikier posted:

There he is!

Freddy!

Zettace, in the Anime Thread posted:

Freddie Mercury is that you...?

Tell me your secrets, Zeikier.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!
I find it interesting that the priest says that she may speak to the public about what she knows.

Christa gonna lead a revolution :dance:

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Tell me your secrets, Zeikier.

OHMYFUCKIN'...gently caress! :psyboom:

The Attack on Titan anime is in my head. Should I get it out or leave it in? :tinfoil:

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Zeikier posted:

The Attack on Titan anime is in my head. Should I get it out or leave it in? :tinfoil:
More likely it's in the back of your neck.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Train some small birds to attack your neck whilst you try to attack them and eat them. Make a game of it. That'll sort you out.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

What are some birds that can increase their size on command? Closest I can think of is the transformer owl.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Zeikier posted:

You think you're going crazy? I'm the one who (jokingly) made the suggestion! They're listening to us....I need to protect my neck now. :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

AradoBalanga posted:

You think you're going crazy? I'm the one who (jokingly) made the suggestion! They're listening to us....I need to protect my neck now. :tinfoil:

If you're not doing that already then Wu Tang's lessons have been wasted on you.