Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I would throw The Blob, Friday the 13th, and maybe Invasion of the Body Snatchers into the mix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

SlenderWhore posted:

Are there any horror movie remakes that are better than the original? I got into a discussion with a friend today who insisted that there weren't any, but I could think of The Hills Have Eyes and Dawn of the Dead, which were at least on par wit the original (if not better). Any others?

Evil Dead 2. The Ring.

Also it's not "better" than the 1931 version but the world would be a more dismal place if Dracula (1992) were never made.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The idea that this is a remake has always been pretty spurious. It's a sequel that includes a less-than-10 minute recap of the original at the beginning.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
My issue with that question is always that the person asking it seems to be implying that the remake had better make the original non-essential to be worth your time.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

My issue with that question is always that the person asking it seems to be implying that the remake had better make the original non-essential to be worth your time.

Yeah, I should point out that I very much enjoy the original versions of all three remakes I mentioned.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

I feel exactly the same way. I think that a good movie can be enjoyed regardless of how it stacks up in comparison to the original. The 00's Texas Chainsaw Massacre wasn't as "good" as the original, but I still found it to be a fantastic film in its own regard.

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

The idea that this is a remake has always been pretty spurious. It's a sequel that includes a less-than-10 minute recap of the original at the beginning.

But it doesn't make much sense if we don't take it as a remake. Why would Ash return to the cabin? And replay the tape? He acts as if he has never seen it before. I was ridiculously confused as a result when I watched it back in the day without realizing it was a remake of the first.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

SlenderWhore posted:

But it doesn't make much sense if we don't take it as a remake. Why would Ash return to the cabin? And replay the tape? He acts as if he has never seen it before. I was ridiculously confused as a result when I watched it back in the day without realizing it was a remake of the first.

The explanation in the commentary is that Ash is just that stupid.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
It's both a remake and a sequel. It's fair game in discussions about either. :sun:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

SlenderWhore posted:

Like I just said: the first ten minutes are just a quick slimmed-down recap of what happened in the first one. Everything after he kills Linda is totally new. If you insist on calling it a remake because of that, sure, I guess, but there's about 7 minutes of remake to about 80 minutes of sequel. And it's got a big fat 2 right there in the title. It's right in the opening credits, you can't miss it.

axleblaze posted:

Also, according to Sam Raimi, this.

If you haven't listened to the DVD commentary for Evil Dead II, do it right the hell now.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

axleblaze posted:

I like that.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Also, if you want a non-diegetic explanation, Sam Raimi wanted to just use footage from the first Evil Dead instead of re-filming all that stuff, but he literally couldn't afford to get the rights to his own movie, which is just one of my favorite filmmaking stories.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

SlenderWhore posted:

Are there any horror movie remakes that are better than the original? I got into a discussion with a friend today who insisted that there weren't any, but I could think of The Hills Have Eyes and Dawn of the Dead, which were at least on par wit the original (if not better). Any others?

Herzog's Nosferatu is as good as the original.

House of Wax 1953 is way better than Mystery of the House Museum even with the goofy yoyo wooo 3d scene.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
The Night of The Living Dead remake from 1990 is worth watching. Despite following the same plot/premise, it changes who the central protagonist is, and creates a very different film as a result.

Edit: Drag Me to Hell uses the same premise as Thinner but it is a million times better.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

The Amityville Horror remake is better than the original but that isn't really saying much considering how bad the original is.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

I like the Cat People remake more for all of the wrong reasons. The Blob remake is much better as well, it's vicious for a movie about pink goo.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Want to, with a few caveats, recommend Uninhabited, on Netflix Instant. It's about a couple who go on a camping trip on a desert island and spooky stuff happens.

The male lead is terrible (his accent hides this a bit) and the plot is rote with few surprises. That being said, I watched it alone at night and it really creeped me out. Lots of the creepy stuff happens on a brightly-lit beach, which you don't see very often, and I found it very effective.

It's a very low-key movie that isn't trying to reinvent the wheel, but I enjoyed it.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Keanu Grieves posted:

(Dark Skies spoiler) When everything gets trippy in the last ten minutes and Jesse slips into the house his mom is trying to sell, the wallpaper is this fabulously awful yellow-orange-brown floral print that reminds me of my own childhood home.

Set decorators take note: Wallpaper is very important when establishing atmosphere.
A Tale of Two Sisters (2003) is one of the best Wallpaper Horror films

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Everyone's going to say stuff like The Fly, The Thing and so on. I'll just say that The Crazies is far better than the original.

Hold the gently caress up....there was a remake of The Fly?!

Or is the Jeff Goldblum one a remake of an older film?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Jeff Godblum one was a remake of an older black and white film.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Barton Fink makes creepy wallpaper an actual plot point. It also probably counts as a horror movie, sort of, sometimes.

Has anyone seen any of the filmed adaptations of The Yellow Wallpaper?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Xandoom posted:

Jeff Godblum one was a remake of an older black and white film.

And while I prefer the Cronenberg version, the original The Fly is also pretty awesome. I think that was my first Vincent Price movie.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Cronenberg's Fly is definitely among the best, if not the best psychological horror movies I've ever seen.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Cronenberg's Fly is definitely among the best, if not the best psychological horror movies I've ever seen.

It's great, but I definitely wouldn't call it a psychological horror movie. It's insanely visceral. It's pretty much the ultimate body-horror film.

Like, if it were a movie about Jeff Goldblum thinking he's turning into a fly, I'd call that a psychological horror film. But it's a movie about Jeff Goldbum actually turning into a fly, with blood and slime and mucus and vomit and makeup effects everywhere.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 2, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Haha, what the hell, dude. Please watch the 1958 The Fly!

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~

DeimosRising posted:

Barton Fink makes creepy wallpaper an actual plot point. It also probably counts as a horror movie, sort of, sometimes.

Has anyone seen any of the filmed adaptations of The Yellow Wallpaper?

I didn't know there were filmed adaptations! I figured there was but have no clue what movies count as such.

I really loved the story when I studied it in University, and the hallway in my apartment was painted faded yellow with smeary, stretched out gold patterns painted on it wallpaper style. It was, for all intents and purposes, horrifying.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
The arm wrestling scene in Cronenberg's Fly is one of the most disturbing things I've seen in a film.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I need reccomendations as I've been pretty bored lately. How about the best horror movie made within the past year? What do you think it would be? I will watch all your answers.

Craig Spradlin
Apr 6, 2009

Right in the babymaker.

Everyone's going to say stuff like The Fly, The Thing and so on. I'll just say that The Crazies is far better than the original.

What I take away from that was the the original was terrible, because I thought the remake started off okay and then didn't know when to quit. By the end, it was practically a comedy for the absurd degree to which everything escalated.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

RightClickSaveAs posted:

A Tale of Two Sisters (2003) is one of the best Wallpaper Horror films
Man, I need to see this. I love The Uninvited, and I've been putting it off for way too long.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I liked House on Haunted Hill enough, and Thir13en Ghosts is fun in a SciFi channel, middle-of-the-day kind of way.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Xandoom posted:

I need reccomendations as I've been pretty bored lately. How about the best horror movie made within the past year? What do you think it would be? I will watch all your answers.

From 2012-2013, my top five would be V/H/S, Stoker, Berberian Sound Studio, Cabin In The Woods, and Evil Dead in that order (best to worst).

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

Keanu Grieves posted:

You know what I love about Slumber Party Massacre? That a slasher film about a guy who "drills" scantily clad women was written and directed by women, one of whom went on to write Mystic Pizza and Beethoven. Granted, I haven't actually seen Slumber Party Massacre, but that tickles me to no end.

The writer was also a feminist.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Keanu Grieves posted:

Man, I need to see this. I love The Uninvited, and I've been putting it off for way too long.

You extremely need to see it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Xandoom posted:

Paranorman, V/H/S, Mama, The Bay, The Tall Man. Still waiting to see Berberian Sound Studio.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I'd vote Prometheus, Beyond The Black Rainbow, Chernobyl Diaries and The Bay. You could arguably include After Earth as well, but it's more of a blend of genres.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
How could I have forgotten about Beyond the Black Rainbow? And I guess if Alien is a horror movie, so's Prometheus.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Xandoom posted:

According to Criticker, my top horror from 2012-2013 (some of which might not be out) are V/H/S, V/H/S/2, Stoker, Beyond the Black Rainbow, Berberian Sound Studio, Prometheus, Sightseers, Magic Magic, Sinister, Cabin in the Woods, Excision, The Frankenstein Theory, Apartment 143, and The Pact.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

axleblaze posted:

Magic Magic

Every time this movie comes up in this thread I misread it as Magic Mike and I'm all "Geez guys, are you that insecure that a movie about male strippers is a horror movie to you?"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Excision is definitely up there and I am kind of surprised people liked Apartment 143 as much as I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Also I still haven't watched it but everyone who's seen it tells me Resolution is one of the best of the past year.