Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ufarn
May 30, 2009
Another kind of Hackgate is the one going on with Bloomberg, who've abused their Bloomberg terminal client data to find information for their articles:

New York Post posted:

In one instance, a Bloomberg reporter asked a Goldman executive if a partner at the bank had recently left the firm — noting casually that he hadn’t logged into his Bloomberg terminal in some time, sources added.

Goldman later learned that Bloomberg staffers could determine not only which of its employees had logged into Bloomberg’s proprietary terminals but how many times they had used particular functions, insiders said.

New York Times posted:

The news gathering technique appears more widespread than the Goldman incident, which was first reported by The New York Post. A preliminary analysis at Bloomberg revealed that “several hundred” reporters had used the technique, a person briefed on the analysis said. (Bloomberg employs more than 2,400 journalists worldwide. A spokesman declined to comment on the analysis and said no reporters had been fired.)

There are also fears that the monitoring may have gone beyond Wall Street. Banking regulators at the Federal Reserve are examining whether their own employees were subject to tracking by Bloomberg reporters, according to people briefed on the matter. A spokeswoman for the Fed declined to comment.

BuzzFeed: Bloomberg Execs Knew Journalists Were Tracking Clients In 2011.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megiddo
Apr 27, 2004

Unicorns bite, but their bites feel GOOD.
So does this that mean even multi-million/billion dollar companies also don't read the entire license agreement/terms and conditions, or was Bloomberg lying about what data was shared?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Rupert's Twitter posted:

IRS story getting bigger every day. Maybe dominate ewes cycle for some time. Other biggie, Bloomberg reporters spying on financial clients!b

I think he is really excited about this one, it is a great way to obfuscate outrage about his fuckery in the US.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Peter Jukes has put the chapter from his book on Daniel Morgan on this website, and Jack of Kent (David Allen Green), has put together a resource list. There's a lot of people very interested in making the most of the current Daniel Morgan coverage.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

So I assume that despite all of this Murdoch is basically safely suntanning on whatever yacht he's preferring this week?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

It's good to be king.

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

I thought this was a swingers party...

Brown Moses posted:

It's good to be king.

I bet that's what Robert Maxwell was thinking too.

(Obligatory reminder to various constabulary possibly reading this: This is a joke)

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

More movement under Elveden. This just came up on the Graun's breaking news tracker.

quote:

Sun Whitehall editor, HMRC press officer and partner to be charged under Operation Elveden. More details soon ...

Wonder who on the Whitehall team got nicked?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Here's the statement

quote:

This statement is made in the interests of transparency and accountability to explain the decisions reached in respect of cases arising from Operation Elveden, which is the Metropolitan Police’s investigation into allegations involving the unlawful provision of information by public officials to journalists.

"This announcement relates to a file of evidence from the Metropolitan Police Service that was received by the CPS on 14 March 2013.

“We have concluded, following a careful review of the evidence, that Clodagh Hartley, a journalist at the Sun newspaper, Jonathan Hall, employed as a Press Officer at Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC) and Marta Bukarewicz, partner of Mr Hall and not a public official, should be charged with conspiracy to commit misconduct in public office.

“It is alleged that between 30 March 2008 and 15 July 2011 The Sun newspaper paid £17,475 to Jonathan Hall, mostly via Marta Bukarewicz, in exchange for the unauthorised disclosure of information obtained as a result of his employment with HMRC.

"The information provided included details about government plans, including upcoming but as yet unannounced spending and policy decisions relating to the 2010 Budget and the coalition government’s deficit reduction plans. Information also related specifically to policy and decision-making within HMRC, including that relating to job losses and casework.

"All of these matters were considered carefully in accordance with the DPP's guidelines on the public interest in cases affecting the media. This guidance asks prosecutors to consider whether the public interest served by the conduct in question outweighs the overall criminality before bringing criminal proceedings.

"Accordingly, we have authorised the institution of proceedings and all three individuals will appear before Westminster Magistrates' Court on 29 May 2013.

"May I remind all concerned that proceedings for a criminal offence involving these three individuals will now be commenced and that each has a right to a fair trial. It is very important that nothing is said, or reported, which could prejudice that trial. For these reasons it would be inappropriate for me to comment further."

The full charge is as follows:

Between 30 March 2008 and 15 July 2011, Jonathan Hall, Marta Bukarewicz and Clodagh Hartley conspired together to commit misconduct in a public office.

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

Was wondering where I heard that name before. Turns out she had a bullying complaint against the Sun's whitehall team upheld last year and was on the outs with them. Tom Watson has a piece about it on his website

Tom Watson posted:

This week, editor of the Sun Dominic Mohan, told the Leveson enquiry “it is wrong to suggest that the Sun trivialises offences against women.” That must have come as breaking news to some of the long-suffering employees at the beleaguered paper.

One extremely frightened Wapping-based journalist, who spoke to me on the basis of anonymity, explained she “was terrified of my company.” The journalist explained that at least five female journalists at the paper had been sacked in the last eight years. At least two of the sacked women went on to win compensation after challenging their dismissals.

A company spokes person refused to comment on the sackings. I’d be happy to publish a comment should they change their mind.

Now the Sun’s shocking behaviour towards some of its female employees has reached Parliament. Whitehall editor at The Sun Clodagh Hartley, has recently had a complaint of bullying upheld by an independent adjudicator. According to a number of credible sources, the adjudicator found that her line manager, Sun political editor Tom Newton Dunn, was guilty of bullying. He remains in post. It is not known whether Hartley, currently on maternity leave will be returning to work.

When asked about the matter yesterday, Mr Newton Dunn said that he was unable to comment on the allegations. Warning me to be very careful what I publish, he claimed that all enquiries should be directed to a company press officer. Yet when I telephoned a spokesperson for the company, they also declined to comment, saying that it is a policy not to comment on staff matters. If the company, or indeed Mr Newton Dunn, care to comment on the allegations I would be delighted to publish their response.

“Good girl”

One source in the parliamentary lobby tells me that Newton Dunn told colleagues that Hartley will not be returning to her post when her maternity leave ends. Newton Dunn, who is known to credit his female colleagues with phrases like “good girl”, may not be aware that Hartley has rights in employment law.

The situation will worry The Sun’s editor Dominic Mohan, who has a lot on his plate after the recent arrests of Mike Sullivan, the paper's crime editor; the former managing editor, Graham Dudman; executive editor, Fergus Shanahan; and Chris Pharo, a news desk executive.

Yet to lose Hartley from the political team could cause more embarrassment than Mohan imagines.

One of the paper's biggest ever political scoops was to obtain the contents of the Hutton report into the death of former UN weapons inspector David Kelly before publication. The paper splashed the story with the headline “Hutton Report Leaked” over a photograph of political editor Trevor Kavanagh holding a telephone. Kavanagh, who claimed he had been read the contents of the report over the telephone by an “impartial” source went on to tell the BBC “the source had nothing to gain financially or politically, no axe to grind, no vested interest". Kavanagh's reputation as a doyen of Fleet Street was cemented. The paper collected numerous awards that year including scoop of the year. The story helped Kavanagh collect the reporter of the year award at the newspaper industry’s equivalent to the oscars.

What an embarrassment it would be were Hartley, who got zero credit for the scoop, to reveal herself as the reporter that brought in the story.

The woman who allegedly was the person who brought in the Hutton Report scoop? That's a very, very interesting pick up.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Another Operation Elveden arrest, and my regular Hackgate contributor has put together a look at the issue surrounding the Burnton Inquiry into the murder of Daniel Morgan that's worth a read.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The police undermines Leveson, quelle suprise:

quote:

The Met gagged Leveson Inquiry over claims that one of Blair’s top officers sold secrets to the News of the World

The Met “gagged” the Leveson Inquiry from revealing intelligence that a very senior former police officer passed on sensitive information to the News of the World, the Standard reveals today.

The force claimed a “public interest immunity certificate” to ban the disclosure of a report that alleged the officer was obtaining highly confidential information on decisions taken by Lord Blair when he was Commissioner.

The classified document, which the Met withheld from the Leveson Inquiry until after it could have been usefully raised in the public hearings, suggested the officer — who is not named for legal reasons —passed the leak on to the tabloid for money.

When it was finally passed to the inquiry, Scotland Yard claimed “public interest immunity” which prevented Lord Justice Leveson from referring to it in public or considering it for the conclusions in his landmark report into inappropriate relationships between the press and police.

Tom Watson, the campaigning Labour MP, said: “These are remarkably serious events uncovered by the Evening Standard. As the Prime Minster has said, this inquiry was supposed to have left no stone unturned but it now appears to have been gagged by the very force it was set up to investigate.

“I’m sure the current Commissioner would wish to urgently review what happened and I will be writing to the Home Secretary Theresa May to ask that she satisfies herself that all seemingly vital documents from the Yard were not withheld from Lord Justice Leveson.”

When the Evening Standard asked counsel to the inquiry Robert Jay QC why he did not raise these matters during the public hearings, he broke a 10-month silence and issued an extra-ordinary public statement.

The senior barrister, who was “gatekeeper” to the inquiry and had a huge influence over what evidence was made public, wanted to “make clear” that he and Lord Justice Leveson were “never shown” the intelligence report until “well after” it could have been used.

He added: “The Met is claiming public interest immunity in relation to any police intelligence report, the contents of which are neither confirmed nor denied.

“I also owe continuing obligations of confidence to the Met and others in relation to information I received during the course of the inquiry. These factors have at all stages limited what I am able to place in the public domain, and continue to do so.”

A source close to Lord Justice Leveson told the Standard the intelligence report would have been used by the inquiry if the Met had passed it over before Lord Blair gave evidence. [cont]

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Brown Moses posted:

The police undermines Leveson, quelle suprise:
Well that was an interesting read.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Here's a fun game, note the file name of the Daily Mail screenshot on this Guido Fawkes article about a scandalous affair at No.10.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Brown Moses posted:

Here's a fun game, note the file name of the Daily Mail screenshot on this Guido Fawkes article about a scandalous affair at No.10.
Way too good to be true.

House of Cards was a TV show!

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
idgi.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
If corruption, incompetence and abandoning his daughter down the pub can't get Cameron then an unmarried couple boinking under the same roof won't touch him.

Worst that will happen to him is Boris Johnson sneaking into his bedroom in the middle of the night and whispering "It's my time now Dave..." while brushing his cheek with sweaty hands.

Then again death is preferable to that.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Andy Coulson And Rebekah Brooks.

Vim
Feb 10, 2006

Gonzo McFee posted:

Allegedly.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Gonzo McFee posted:

That would be just perfect. Doubt it's true though.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Don't think the Daily Mail would put out a story that could damage the Tory party and fellow press scum without evidence.

"Dinnae fire at yer own side unless you've got enough ammo to take em down."

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Gonzo McFee posted:

Don't think the Daily Mail would put out a story that could damage the Tory party and fellow press scum without evidence.

"Dinnae fire at yer own side unless you've got enough ammo to take em down."

I'm guessing they believe those two are down enough already and this way they get to implant the idea in people's heads that Cameron is shagging around, because that's the impression I got on first glance at that headline. (Also I wouldn't necessarily read too much into that headline because Staines is a poo poo-stirrer and likes to occasionally put red herrings in)

Having said that... are either of them actually on trial right at this moment? Or anybody else? If this is information that has come out in an in camera session of a trial it would explain the "legal problems" they have with publishing it.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The alternative theory is it's Alex Cameron, David Cameron's brother, and head of a firm that represents Brooks.

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
No no no it's Alistair Campbell and Brooks.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I hope we find out soon :( The suspense is killing me and I would have liked the MoS to hold off until they could actually SAY something.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
It's a typo, should've been dcrb.jpg

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
I hope the press start doorstepping RB and AC, whoever they are! After all a free and unfettered press is a valiant bulwark against tyranny blah blah blah

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Remember NDS UK Limited from WAY back? Briefly, they were a company who provided the decoder cards for Sky, and were part of News Corp. They set up a website for hackers for intelligence gathering purposes, but then started doing some very naughty things with the information, but nothing really came of it, that is, until now it seems. The annoyingly pay-walled Exaro news is reporting that the Met is now looking into their activities.

Also, after two days of major appearances by every News Corp defendants team at Southwark court discussing various details of the case with the judge, Rebekah Brooks is reported to be planning to plead tomorrow. Legally I can't speculate on what they were discussing.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Brown Moses posted:

Remember NDS UK Limited from WAY back? Briefly, they were a company who provided the decoder cards for Sky, and were part of News Corp. They set up a website for hackers for intelligence gathering purposes, but then started doing some very naughty things with the information, but nothing really came of it, that is, until now it seems. The annoyingly pay-walled Exaro news is reporting that the Met is now looking into their activities.

Also, after two days of major appearances by every News Corp defendants team at Southwark court discussing various details of the case with the judge, Rebekah Brooks is reported to be planning to plead tomorrow. Legally I can't speculate on what they were discussing.
I hope it's related to that previous debacle :allears:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Legally you can't even speculate? Isn't the entirety of the British press run by speculation and heresay?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Libel laws are pretty funky here.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ACanofPepsi posted:

Legally you can't even speculate? Isn't the entirety of the British press run by speculation and heresay?

If it's sub judice then disclosing it is contempt of court, which will get you actual jail time rather than a slap on the wrist.

(Not that it's stopped certain papers owned by certain Australians from reporting stuff so wildly that it's actually led trials to collapse because of the likelihood of the jury being biased by it...)

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

ACanofPepsi posted:

It gets complicated when a source from NDS appeared here and lawyer talk happened. Best not to dig into it unless something goes public.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
We are back to the NDS stuff, oh fun times ahead!!

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

ACanofPepsi posted:

In all this you have to now take into consideration that my blog is widely read and highly regarded by all sorts of people, including pretty much anyone who has a serious interest in Hackgate, so I have to be careful about what I say on certain topics.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Looks like a big day tomorrow, ten pleas are being put in, mostly Brooks and friends by the looks of it:

quote:

Rebekah Brooks to appear in court

Rebekah Brooks, the former News International chief executive, will appear in court on Wednesday in connection with a series of criminal charges in relation to her time at Rupert Murdoch's publishing empire both as editor of the News of the World and editor of the Sun.

She will be asked to tell the court if she is pleading guilty or not guilty to three sets of charges relating to alleged phone hacking, unlawful payments to public officials for stories and allegations that she tried to pervert the course of justice by concealing material from the police at the height of the phone-hacking investigation in July 2011.

Brooks will appear with nine other defendants facing a variety of charges including her husband, Charlie Brooks, the racehorse trainer and friend of David Cameron, at Southwark crown court in London.

He has been accused along with six others including Brooks's former secretary Cheryl Carter and News International's head of security Mark Hanna of conspiring to pervert the course of justice by concealing material, documents and computers from police around the time of Brooks's arrest two years ago. The charge carries a maximum penalty of life, although the average term served in prison is 10 months.

Also in court to enter pleas will be four former staff at the now defunct News of the World who have been charged in connection with allegations of phone hacking including the former NoW managing editor Stuart Kuttner, former news editor Greg Miskiw, former head of news Ian Edmondson, former chief reporter Neville Thurlbeck and former reporter James Weatherup.

They are all facing the criminal trials following the Operation Weeting investigation into alleged phone hacking which led to charges that they conspired to unlawfully intercept mobile voice messages of "well-known people and those associated with them".

Brooks and her co-defendants in the Weeting police operation were charged last July, a year after the News of the World was closed down, and face possible trial this September.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Well, the wheels of justice move slowly but they do move.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Allow me to speculate - no jail time, a small fine, a promise not to do it again for 5 years, nothing happens to people in power.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Comstar posted:

Allow me to speculate - no jail time, a small fine, a promise not to do it again for 5 years, nothing happens to people in power.

Well the police who were sentenced after pleading guilty still got pretty stiff sentences, so it would be notable if the papers didn't get the same level of punishment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

Comstar posted:

It would be an absolute travesty of justice if we sent down everyone except the people whose complete untouchability caused this issue in the first place. If they don't go down it is setting it up for this whole thing happening again in another decade and I for one would be loving livid.

(Also I have a £50 bet with someone that Coulson and Brooks do at least a week's jailtime each. :colbert:)

• Locked thread