Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001
Has TWC fixed their issue with their subscribers not being able to watch Adult Swim *gold* episodes online yet?

Because I'm old, it's summer, I have kids, I'm busy, and if I miss this I am going to be pissed if I have to pirate it when I already pay for something everyone else apparently gets for free. I don't like having to do that. I REALLY don't like doing that.

Sorry about the bitter tone. I'm just hoping I can catch the episode tomorrow when it airs. I'm a big fan but the Wife hates it.

*Also, even though I'm not going all in on the Shirt Club, I cant wait to see the designs. I know I'll grab at least a couple.

**Nope, just tried to watch Operation P.R.O.M. Got blocked. Sigh. Still excited for the new episode though.

***If Time Warner owns Cartoon Network, why are they doing this to their subscribers?

Ramen Pride! fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jun 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Jack Gladney posted:

There's also a really well-paced musical scene in the first episode of Season 2 featuring "Everybody's Free" by Aquagen that I thought fit the pace and the mood really, really well. It's a much more obscure song, though, and I one I don't think anybody really likes or cares about.

Haha. It's become sort of a thing for me and my friend. Anytime we watch VB, we start with Season 2. Thank you for reminding me the first musical scene they did. That was so great.

Yeah it was a bit obscure but it worked.

I enjoyed it so much because it played with the thought that Doc couldn't get over the boys. Nope, just him wanting time off.

Considering back then we didn't know if Dean and Hank were clones. It was pretty drat cool. The episode was so great because of the compilation of deaths between Hank and Dean. The best part is realizing how stupid most of their deaths were.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Oh ok. The reverence the interview holds the song to made me think it was some master stroke homage or call back I didn't comprehend.

e; Also I remember going to raves in the early aughts and hearing that "everybody's free" song, so when he tracks down Rusty at a rave it was pretty neat. I also remember being convinced I was going to start families with girls I had just met at raves :coal:

Umph fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jun 2, 2013

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by
Rewatching season 4 made me realize, this is going to be the first season without 24. :smith: 21 and 24 had some of the best conversations in the whole series, it's sad to know that he's (actually) permanently written out of the show.

Speaking of, maybe we'll finally find out if Phantom Limb was telling the truth and the Moppets are really his sleeper agents. They have to wrap up the "who detonated the bomb that killed 24" storyline sooner or later. Tomorrow night can't come soon enough...

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

Rewatching season 4 made me realize, this is going to be the first season without 24. :smith: 21 and 24 had some of the best conversations in the whole series, it's sad to know that he's (actually) permanently written out of the show.

"You can't yell at us for following orders!"

"Or kill us for following orderrrrs."

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.

priznat posted:

Did I hear something about getting the rights to that song was actually pretty expensive? I think it was on a DVD commentary with the guys.

Of course pretty expensive could be relative in the realm of song licensing I suppose.

If I remember correctly, they said they spent a tenth of the entire budget for Season Two just to get that song.

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009

Speaking of, maybe we'll finally find out if Phantom Limb was telling the truth and the Moppets are really his sleeper agents. They have to wrap up the "who detonated the bomb that killed 24" storyline sooner or later. Tomorrow night can't come soon enough...

I'm pretty sure the Moppets are just creepy guys who work for Dr. Mrs. The Monarch. They've been with her ever since she was a solo villian, Lady Au Pair, and they do seem very ... attached to her.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of the Moppets, for $60 you can get this set:

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BBP09083E#.Uatj_5ymXHR

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Bit the bullet and signed up for the whole t-shirt club.

Let's hope I like more of the designs this time around than the first one...so I guess it's a good thing I did a la carte the first time.

I think I was the only person who hated the Dr.Girlfriend and Dean :allears: shirts.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Gentlemen tonight is the night! Ah I can barely contain my excitement.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Less than 12 hours to go!

Just a reminder, tonight there is an hour of Venture goodness!

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

DrBouvenstein posted:

Bit the bullet and signed up for the whole t-shirt club.

Let's hope I like more of the designs this time around than the first one...so I guess it's a good thing I did a la carte the first time.

I think I was the only person who hated the Dr.Girlfriend and Dean :allears: shirts.

You could probably sell the ones you really don't like to people in this thread and you can proudly wear the subscribers only shirt.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

I thought the Monarch said it was him during the Shallow Gravy special?

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
"Fully-articulated" Death's-Head Panoply battle armor isn't show-accurate. :colbert:

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

drat. I really want to subscribe to the shirt club, but I really don't need like 10 extra tee shirts. I just know I'd want to keep them all, too.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

priznat posted:

Did I hear something about getting the rights to that song was actually pretty expensive? I think it was on a DVD commentary with the guys.

Of course pretty expensive could be relative in the realm of song licensing I suppose.

Yes you did. I think AS tried to pull the song because it turned out to be too expensive, I'm pretty sure after they had already ok'd it, but Publick and Hammer had already done all of the animation to go with that song. I was all excited because the only time I've heard the song was when I had to dance to it (very badly) for dance classes when I was 15.

Edit: There is not a "cool story bros." macro. I'm surprised. Also sent a message to sticky this thread for tonight.

Bored fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 2, 2013

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
In celebration of the premiere of Season 5, I'm drawing my favorite characters going from Sergeant Hatered, Doc, Dean,Hank, Brock, Shoreleave (SPINX!) and Hunters. Next day or so will be Monarch and the Revenge Society.

Hopefully I finish by tonite

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car

Bored posted:

Yes you did. I think AS tried to pull the song because it turned out to be too expensive, I'm pretty sure after they had already ok'd it, but Publick and Hammer had already done all of the animation to go with that song.

It was the other way around. The song never got ok'd, they did all the animation set to another similar track, then at the last second got the green light to license the song. That's why the opening, before there's any dialogue, is sped up; the song they made the animation set to was slower than the song they wound up using.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

It was the other way around. The song never got ok'd, they did all the animation set to another similar track, then at the last second got the green light to license the song. That's why the opening, before there's any dialogue, is sped up; the song they made the animation set to was slower than the song they wound up using.

Just watched the commentary on that again, and I misunderstood what they said. So, they had it set to a different song, AS wouldn't pay for it, so Hammer tried writing a similar song to that one which convinced AS to pay for "Everybody's Free" to be used instead, for an 8th of the total budget for season 2? Did I get that right? They never said the song that they were originally going to use, so I got confused.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Preem Palver posted:

I thought the Monarch said it was him during the Shallow Gravy special?

I think he was just referring to the fact that he set the bomb. He couldn't have detonated it because he was vomiting though the skies while the detonator was still on his throne.

Can anyone remember what Dr Girlfriend's confession was at the end of season two / start of season three? Because I've seen it four times now and still don't get what it was meant to be.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It is getting closer, I am so frigging pumped I'm listening to this.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Can anyone remember what Dr Girlfriend's confession was at the end of season two / start of season three? Because I've seen it four times now and still don't get what it was meant to be.

It turns out to (somehow) be the Guild "crucible" thing they have to go through when they get married. The Monarch explicitly calls it out in the pre-credits sequence of the first episode of season three ("...this is the last loving thing I expected you to say!"). It doesn't really make much sense, and kind of felt like they didn't know what the "confession" was when they wrapped S2 and just said "gently caress it" and slapped the explanation onto the start of S3E1 to close out the plot thread when they couldn't come up with anything cool.

Morozko
Dec 21, 2010

Shrek is love
Shrek is life

Shindragon posted:

In celebration of the premiere of Season 5, I'm drawing my favorite characters going from Sergeant Hatered, Doc, Dean,Hank, Brock, Shoreleave (SPINX!) and Hunters. Next day or so will be Monarch and the Revenge Society.

Hopefully I finish by tonite

Great job so far! Keep up the good work.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

The whole album is so, so good.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
Guys, remember how the Venture Brothers handles loose plot threads that people keep asking about.

"Sandow! Ya broke it!"

"She started hanging out with the preppies and is now in rehab somewhere in Florida."

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Are there any dangling threads left?

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Are there any dangling threads left?

How did Jonas Sr. die? Is Myra really Hank and Dean's mom, or their "mom" in the same way that Brock and Sargent Hatred are? Why does the Monarch hate Doc so much (besides him just being really, really easy to hate)?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

How did Jonas Sr. die?

I'm sort of hoping we'll hear something about this around that episode he is the focus on this season.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

How did Jonas Sr. die?

I always figured they'll make this a throwaway joke somewhere around the last episode.

Same with Monarch/Venture. It'll be some tiny slight that Doc doesn't even remember.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Making fun of the monarchs eyebrows and his way too specific poems about monarch butterflies?

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I always figured they'll make this a throwaway joke somewhere around the last episode.

Same with Monarch/Venture. It'll be some tiny slight that Doc doesn't even remember.

Kano offered him a peanut. He choked to death.

The Monarch tried out for the cheerleading squad. Rusty laughed and said it was lame.

Myra used to be a man.

...and so concludes, THE VENTURE BROTHERS!

Edit: I am honestly imagine Doc at a conveNtion, holding a script at penpoint manically screaming "I'LL DO IT - GO AHEAD, ASK ABOUT KIM, ASK ABOUT JONAS SENIOR, SEE WHAT HAPPENS!."

And then Kim turns out to be Jonas Senior.

a cock shaped fruit fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 3, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Didn't Kano kill Jonas Sr. because he tried to discover what ORB was? Same as Sandow, same as Brock was meant to do but eventually didn't need to. Brock asked Kano if he did and Kano refused to answer, so it was heavily implied if nothing else. But Kano was a mute before then, so who knows.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It's never specifically said but it was "I signed us up as a duo" but they keep it vague so you don't really know what the guild is doing til the end of the episode when they change their status from villain and number 2 to partners in crime.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Jonas Senior actually died when Rusty was like 9. However, he had previously invented and was using a less successful cloning system, and so from then until his "real death" while Rusty was in college, Jonas Senior was a succession of clones that each could only survive for about 12 months outside of the cloning tanks before falling apart. He's declared dead for good when the clone blanks run out.

Rusty of course goes on to fix the cloning system, although not being aware that his father had been clones for a good 11 years or so.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Bloodnose posted:

Then there's Hadji, who seems to have turned out okay, compared with Hector, who's in some state of arrested development. I guess we don't seen enough of Hadji to make a good comparison though.

Hector is a former pro boxer, so he is just punch drunk. Which is the polite boxing term for having brain damage.

Red posted:

Teefury.com will have these shirts on sale at midnight:

Man, they really missed a big opportunity. "Butter-cream frosted murder cake" would've been so much better.

Bondii
May 31, 2003
King of The Cider Farm

Internet Webguy posted:

Hector is a former pro boxer, so he is just punch drunk. Which is the polite boxing term for having brain damage.

Hector was the boy that adventured with the Ventures, like Hadji was for the Quest's. http://venturefans.org/vbwiki/Hector_Molina

You're thinking of Swifty.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Internet Webguy posted:

No, no, that's Swifty. Hector is the Mexican kid who accompanied Rusty for years and who Rusty completely forgot about.

e: Bondii! :argh:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Didn't Kano kill Jonas Sr. because he tried to discover what ORB was? Same as Sandow, same as Brock was meant to do but eventually didn't need to. Brock asked Kano if he did and Kano refused to answer, so it was heavily implied if nothing else. But Kano was a mute before then, so who knows.

Kano broke the recording of Sandow confessing that he broke ORB because he couldn't bring himself to kill Colonel Venture.

Because ORB never worked none of the "bodyguards" ever had to kill a Venture.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Guys, remember how the Venture Brothers handles loose plot threads that people keep asking about.

"Sandow! Ya broke it!"

"She started hanging out with the preppies and is now in rehab somewhere in Florida."

They always intended to have the Orb be broken. When it shows Sandow "kill" Colonel Venture, the sound effect is breaking glass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Sash! posted:

They always intended to have the Orb be broken. When it shows Sandow "kill" Colonel Venture, the sound effect is breaking glass.

Strange, that's not what they explained at Comic Con in 2012. :haw:

Edit: Jokes aside, they are very clear on how they respond to people over thinking stuff. Usually, they take a dump on it - in extreme cases they dedicate an entire episode to answering the question and letting it die. The entire 'Invisible Hand of Fate' episode was born from them both musing about how annoying it was that people weren't happy with Billy not knowing where his robohand came from, and how people weren't happy with the 3 explanations for Phantom Limb's Limbs in Victor. Echo. November.

C'mon guys, he was a magician and his arms are on the moon. :colbert:

a cock shaped fruit fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jun 3, 2013