Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lady flash
Dec 26, 2007
keeper of the speed force
I have a 10.5 week old - what are/were your bedtime routines at this age? We are having such trouble getting him to sleep this last week (trying for 3+ hours) once he's down he sleeps great (usually 5-6 hours for the first stretch)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!
When my 4.5 month old was that age every night I would bathe her, baby powder her neck folds (they get nasty), rub lotion all over her, then take into my bed and nurse her side-lying. When she fell asleep I would get up and leave, an hour or two later I'd go to sleep on the other side of the bed. At that age she would not go to sleep drowsy but awake, and would wake up as soon as I moved her, no matter how deep of a sleep she'd be in. It was easier to just have her stay sleeping where she fell asleep. At 13 weeks I was able to start putting her down drowsy but awake for naps, and a week later I was able to put her in her crib at night too. Thank god because up until then she'd spent all her naps sleeping on me or my husband and we couldn't get anything done.

Killer_Frost posted:

Ok, hubby is driving me nuts. He barely helps with her (he gets the first feeding of the night, if he's already awake... Sometimes) and he gets upset at me if I mention that I could use a hand with her or feel like I'm doing almost everything. He says, "I go to work all day... Etc" if I say anything about how I'm with her all day while he's at work I get brushed off, and he basically accuses me of saying he does nothing.

I work 6 days a week and my husband is a stay at home dad. I feed and change Adeline in the morning, and when I get home from work I take care of her for the four hours until she goes to bed so my husband can relax or do any housework he didn't get to or chill with us. I bathe her and put her to bed. It's hard to take care of a baby all day and you need time to recharge. I don't think he does realize how hard it is, but I spent the first 6 weeks at home with her and the second 6 working part time so I know how it can be and don't want to dump all responsibility for her on my husband. Maybe you need to take a day trip on one of his days off and let him see that it's not a fun vacation spending all day with her.

I agree with making certain things his responsibility, ask if he can take over her bedtime routine at least. I like to do that because I'm afraid she'll bond more to my husband since he spends more time with her. I want to have a special time that she enjoys spending with me, and she does like her baths. Maybe he wouldn't feel so accused if you framed it that way.

lady flash
Dec 26, 2007
keeper of the speed force

tse1618 posted:

When my 4.5 month old was that age every night I would bathe her, baby powder her neck folds (they get nasty), rub lotion all over her, then take into my bed and nurse her side-lying. When she fell asleep I would get up and leave, an hour or two later I'd go to sleep on the other side of the bed. At that age she would not go to sleep drowsy but awake, and would wake up as soon as I moved her, no matter how deep of a sleep she'd be in. It was easier to just have her stay sleeping where she fell asleep. At 13 weeks I was able to start putting her down drowsy but awake for naps, and a week later I was able to put her in her crib at night too. Thank god because up until then she'd spent all her naps sleeping on me

Thanks, that is our issue he falls asleep on us but when moved to the crib wakes up again. Until a week or so ago this wasn't a regular issue. He is finally asleep now at 930, tonight we started at 6ish. I'm too nervous to bed share, especially right now, my husband brought home a cold and I am sleeping much deeper than normal.

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!
I only bed shared because my husband wasn't sleeping in the bed with us, so she got a whole half of the bed to herself and I wasn't very close to her. I only kept blankets and a pillow on my side of the bed. I would have been way too nervous if my husband had been in the bed too and she was right next to me. I also never move in my sleep and I'm a light sleeper, if I rolled around a lot and slept like a log would never have considered it.

Goobish
May 31, 2011

I am 37 weeks now and I swear my baby likes to attack me internally. Is it normal for them to actually hurt you while flailing around? I had to lay down for awhile today because he was flailing around so hard. And I swear sometimes it feels like he is clawing at my cervix. I cannot believe the force this child has. I'm surprised he hasn't bust open my water himself. I'm pretty sure part of my mucus plug came out today. So that's good news I guess!

Oh and I would also like to mention that I hear strange "pop" like sounds coming from my belly when he is being active. This has been going on for a couple weeks but it was very noticeable today. It's almost like the sounds your sinuses can make when you have congestion, or even like the sound of knuckles cracking.

Goobish fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 3, 2013

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Lyz posted:

It is quite uncomfortable in those last few weeks, but baby showers really only require you to sit in a chair and open gifts and make a fuss over them, so it's not much of a physical ordeal. Plus you'll have plenty of eager assistants. And of course there's tons of food which no pregnant lady would ever turn down. So I think the only ordeal to the whole thing is writing all the thank you cards before the baby comes, cause you'll definitely not have a lot of time or desire to do it after you give birth.

Speaking of thank you cards, what is considered the appropriate time to have them sent out by? I ask because a bunch of individuals never gave me their addresses and I've been exceptionally busy obviously with a baby, full time job and grad school. One guest got fuming mad because I didn't send her a thank you card a week after the party (3 days after Asher was born). I'm just asking because I still haven't gotten all of them done and it's 3 months after the party. Life is hectic, but I don't want to seem like a jerk either. Is there a way I could apologize for getting to it so late?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Looking for some ab rebuilding advice.
We had #3 7 weeks ago and this is my wife's 3rd c-section, she's looking for recommendations for an after-pregnancy workout plan to get her abs back in shape.
She's currently having issues with her back because it's doing all of the work because her abs really aren't pulling their weight.

Does anyone have recommendations for post-partum workout that they've used?

If this would be better in the YLLS world I can repost there.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

tater_salad posted:

Looking for some ab rebuilding advice.
We had #3 7 weeks ago and this is my wife's 3rd c-section, she's looking for recommendations for an after-pregnancy workout plan to get her abs back in shape.
She's currently having issues with her back because it's doing all of the work because her abs really aren't pulling their weight.

Does anyone have recommendations for post-partum workout that they've used?

If this would be better in the YLLS world I can repost there.

Has she been screened for diastasis recti?

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

Goobish posted:

I am 37 weeks now and I swear my baby likes to attack me internally. Is it normal for them to actually hurt you while flailing around? I had to lay down for awhile today because he was flailing around so hard. And I swear sometimes it feels like he is clawing at my cervix. I cannot believe the force this child has. I'm surprised he hasn't bust open my water himself. I'm pretty sure part of my mucus plug came out today. So that's good news I guess!

Oh and I would also like to mention that I hear strange "pop" like sounds coming from my belly when he is being active. This has been going on for a couple weeks but it was very noticeable today. It's almost like the sounds your sinuses can make when you have congestion, or even like the sound of knuckles cracking.

It's normal for movement to be uncomfortable or painful.

The cracking sound is baby's joints popping, just like your knuckles or wrists or whatever. It happened at the end of my pregnancy and it was hella weird.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I hit my nephew yet I don't hesitate to judge other people's parenting skills.
PS MY BABY CAROLINE CAN NEVER SHARE A LAP WITH BALLS. Lol

tse1618 posted:

I agree with making certain things his responsibility, ask if he can take over her bedtime routine at least. I like to do that because I'm afraid she'll bond more to my husband since he spends more time with her. I want to have a special time that she enjoys spending with me, and she does like her baths. Maybe he wouldn't feel so accused if you framed it that way.

I might try approaching it that way. She does seem to prefer to hang out with mom, dad is entertaining but really only for a little bit. He did watch her for a little bit today while I took a shower and made dinner, then he watched her while I ate. I did just have to do the hardest thing and listen to her scream because I'd officially passed her off to him so I can go to sleep. Usually if I pass her off I'm still the closest so I respond the fastest and he gets off the hook because I don't want to try to fall asleep with her screaming.

As for the pops when he's kicking, I had someone tell me that was just her joints popping a bit. Now as an X-ray tech I'm not sure I buy that... They're all cartilage at that stage. There's nothing hard to click... But whatever.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

Killer_Frost posted:

I might try approaching it that way. She does seem to prefer to hang out with mom, dad is entertaining but really only for a little bit. He did watch her for a little bit today while I took a shower and made dinner, then he watched her while I ate. I did just have to do the hardest thing and listen to her scream because I'd officially passed her off to him so I can go to sleep. Usually if I pass her off I'm still the closest so I respond the fastest and he gets off the hook because I don't want to try to fall asleep with her screaming.

As for the pops when he's kicking, I had someone tell me that was just her joints popping a bit. Now as an X-ray tech I'm not sure I buy that... They're all cartilage at that stage. There's nothing hard to click... But whatever.

Joint popping has to do with synovial fluid within the joint, not the bones themselves ;)

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Schweig und tanze posted:

The cracking sound is baby's joints popping, just like your knuckles or wrists or whatever. It happened at the end of my pregnancy and it was hella weird.

:aaaaa: I heard this the other day and couldn't find any source for the sound, and was half sure I was imagining it. Glad to know I'm not going slowly insane.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

Hastings posted:

Speaking of thank you cards, what is considered the appropriate time to have them sent out by? I ask because a bunch of individuals never gave me their addresses and I've been exceptionally busy obviously with a baby, full time job and grad school. One guest got fuming mad because I didn't send her a thank you card a week after the party (3 days after Asher was born). I'm just asking because I still haven't gotten all of them done and it's 3 months after the party. Life is hectic, but I don't want to seem like a jerk either. Is there a way I could apologize for getting to it so late?

I don't know if there's an acceptable limit, I hate doing them so it usually takes me 1-2 months to get them out. I think just getting a thank you card at all is a rarity nowadays and it's kind of tasteless to be mad about NOT getting one (especially a week after, dear lord I hope you don't have to deal with that person often).

For the addresses, I would either check with the person who coordinated the shower, who might have the addresses after sending invites, or ask family or friends. Or just hand it to them in person - I ended up doing all my work thank you cards just putting them on people's desks with a couple pieces of candy to make up for not mailing them.

Etiquette is weird, so just do what you feel shows the appropriate amount of gratitude and hope for the best. I don't think anyone actually knows the proper rules anymore so you kind of have to make it up as you go along. Maybe include a couple baby pictures and be like "here's why this card is late!"

(That reminds me, I have a card to write too, some distant cousin I barely know sent me some stuff for the new baby.)

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
Yeah that's another thing they don't really tell you about being pregnant. You hear about "the baby kicking" and think of this cutesy little flutter or something. Hoo boy. It's like a bag of angry kittens in there sometimes, complete with claws! In my case I wouldn't say it's painful, per se, but definitely uncomfortable at times. He's had his rib jammed up in my right ribcage for weeks now, and is dislocating my bottom rib. A good jab to the diaphragm will make me have to stop and catch my breath, and there's some stretching movement he does that makes it feel like there's a cord being stretched from my cervix to my sternum that's going to snap. Eesh. I was worried he was too active, and asked my OB about it and she laughed and said she gets that question a lot, and that no, it was normal and a good sign. Sometimes a good twitch will make my whole bed shake.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

Schweig und tanze posted:

Joint popping has to do with synovial fluid within the joint, not the bones themselves ;)

My ankle popping is a tendon going over a bone (per my ortho) so its not always synovial fluid involvement. *shrug* this is why I never wanted to be a doctor.

Any who, I did get to see X-rays on a baby when I was in school. (Creepy btw) They used to X-ray to see if the baby was in the right position and to see if moms pelvis would be capable of delivering. The way things change with a couple of decades.

I need to get my thank you notes out. I know I was a little miffed when the girls I work with that I hand made blankets for their babies didn't send a note... One just texted me "thank you." I got the same thing from a friend of mine for her wedding present. I need to get on that.

I'm actually taking goodies to my doctors office nurses and over to the unit. I was going to take goodies with me when I delivered but it slipped my mind, even though I had time because she was induced. Oh well. Thanks at any time to me is better than no thanks at all. Most people, I think, will be understanding.

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Most people with Tourette Syndrome are able to hold jobs and lead full lives. But not you.

Hastings posted:

I'm a big thank you card writer, and I try to keep it to one month between whatever event and when the last of the cards goes out. Less if I just have to write one - like a day or two. I love Lyz's idea of sticking some baby photos in there though - for real! They'll understand that you have a LOT on your plate, and appreciate some cute pictures. It took about two weeks of constant card writing after our wedding to get cards done for my husband's giant family.
Speaking of - holy poo poo am I so thankful he reads this thread, so he better behave when baby gets here!

Our issue right now is my mother hates every baby name we've suggested (which to date is, uh, two. Not a long list here). I am seriously beyond caring what she thinks about anything at this point, but I don't want to alienate my mom by being a bitch. Is there a way to tell my mother to shove her opinions up her rear end without poisoning the water? Is there REALLY anything wrong with Bridgie or Leon?

Edit:

Killer_Frost posted:

Any who, I did get to see X-rays on a baby when I was in school. (Creepy btw) They used to X-ray to see if the baby was in the right position and to see if moms pelvis would be capable of delivering. The way things change with a couple of decades.
Our (total waste of an) anatomical ultrasound creeped me the heck out. Spine and arms everywhere. I work in medical billing so there is REALLY no romance in all this baby stuff for me. Baby wouldn't cooperate that day (but he did flash us!), so we're going back this month. Maybe it'll be less creepy.

Tourette Meltdown fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 3, 2013

New Weave Wendy
Mar 11, 2007

Tourette Meltdown posted:

Our issue right now is my mother hates every baby name we've suggested (which to date is, uh, two. Not a long list here). I am seriously beyond caring what she thinks about anything at this point, but I don't want to alienate my mom by being a bitch. Is there a way to tell my mother to shove her opinions up her rear end without poisoning the water? Is there REALLY anything wrong with Bridgie or Leon?

Haha, oh the baby name fun. We seriously wanted to keep our top pick a secret because everyone in our family has a really strong opinion about every drat thing. We ended up spilling the beans because we'd already started calling her by her name when referring to her and it seemed natural. Surprisingly nobody was offended or weirded out by it or anything. Although after telling them, some people did suggest some "other nice names" for us that we thought we universally awful. I just considered it good practice for the *smile and nod, be on with our day* tactic that I'm sure we will need to refine for all that unwanted parenting advice we have coming our way!

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

Susan B. Antimony posted:

I got pregnant with my youngest when his brother was ten months old; it's hard, no loving lie, but the baby turns one year old next week and I wouldn't change the timing for the world. The first six months were especially hard--but I had heard from other moms of kids close together that the first year is the hard part, and we got through it, and I'm thrilled with my boys. I hope you have a partner and maybe some friends or grandparents to help out; if I hadn't had people to cover for me once in awhile so that I could sleep, I think I would have lost my mind.

Oh man. We have no idea where we will be living next year. I hope I still have friends and family close by if we do move. Ben is such a handful. I have no idea why we decided to do this! He can't walk yet but he's a bully and really headstrong. I hope he mellows out 9 months from now.

travelsized
Feb 21, 2006

sudont posted:

Yeah that's another thing they don't really tell you about being pregnant. You hear about "the baby kicking" and think of this cutesy little flutter or something. Hoo boy. It's like a bag of angry kittens in there sometimes, complete with claws! In my case I wouldn't say it's painful, per se, but definitely uncomfortable at times. He's had his rib jammed up in my right ribcage for weeks now, and is dislocating my bottom rib. A good jab to the diaphragm will make me have to stop and catch my breath, and there's some stretching movement he does that makes it feel like there's a cord being stretched from my cervix to my sternum that's going to snap. Eesh. I was worried he was too active, and asked my OB about it and she laughed and said she gets that question a lot, and that no, it was normal and a good sign. Sometimes a good twitch will make my whole bed shake.

Yeah, for me the kicking and moving got old fast. Now it's just uncomfortable. Mine likes to hang out at the front of my belly, and then just pushes out, like he's trying to pop out alien style. My husband gets very amused every time he hears me tell Sample Sized to cut it out.

I also really wish we had a name already. We narrowed it down to a short list of 6 names, and just yesterday I knocked one off so we are down to 5. But my husband refuses to state preferences, he won't say which of the remaining 5 are his favorite. I'm 31 weeks so although we have time, it's quickly running out. At least we agreed on a middle name.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

travelsized posted:

Yeah, for me the kicking and moving got old fast. Now it's just uncomfortable. Mine likes to hang out at the front of my belly, and then just pushes out, like he's trying to pop out alien style. My husband gets very amused every time he hears me tell Sample Sized to cut it out.

I also really wish we had a name already. We narrowed it down to a short list of 6 names, and just yesterday I knocked one off so we are down to 5. But my husband refuses to state preferences, he won't say which of the remaining 5 are his favorite. I'm 31 weeks so although we have time, it's quickly running out. At least we agreed on a middle name.

We didn't have a name until a day after our little one got here. I had a nickname for her too. I still have a hard time calling her by name. She's still my little Hobbit. I doubt she'll ever out grow that one.

Hubby wouldn't tell me his favorite names either. Every time we'd talk he'd give me joke names. Robocop. Batman. The one I wish I could have gotten him to stick with was Ripley (as in Ellen Ripley from Aliens). I still like that one.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

Tourette Meltdown posted:

Do what we did, decide on a name, and then don't tell anyone until after they're born. Drove my mother nuts, but you can't comment on what you don't talk about.

Then you announce it after it's already on the birth certificate/SSN paperwork... don't like it? Too late!

This time around I'm being less secretive, I told her the name we were considering and it looks like it might end up being the baby's name just because my husband and I are so lazy we probably won't come up with another. Emily's not a bad name anyways. =)

Bubble Babble
Apr 12, 2004

talk talk talk
blah blah blah
HAND ALLIGATOR
We solved our name problem by having no idea what to name it. So when people ask, we truthfully tell them we have no idea.

I don't think you can really name something (someone!) until you've met them. None of my pets had pre-picked out names. We'll have a handful of acceptable names for either sex, but I can't imagine we'll be firm on anything. We are strongly considering giving a middle name that is my husband's 93 year old grandmother's name, but that's it, and it's not even definite.

I don't mind the baby kicking me anywhere except the sciatic nerve. Anytime it switches over to bladder or rectum or ribs or whatever else, I always heave a sigh of relief because yay, at least I can now walk.

Has anyone had their baby have strong reactions to cats? Mine seems to love my little black cat's purrs (soooo many kicks) when she's laying on me, and likes somewhat less my orange cat's purrs. The little one purrs louder, so I wonder if that's it. The poor cat gets punted as badly as I do, but I'm pretty sure it's in good sport.

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
I'm due in 9 days (NOT THAT I'M COUNTING) and still don't have a name picked. I have a small list, but a) I want to meet him first and b) I hate when someone says, "Oh I know someone named X that's such a jerk!" or "That's my dog's name!" or "<wrinkes nose> Really?" Heh. I don't have to compromise with anyone at least, since the father isn't really in the picture.

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Most people with Tourette Syndrome are able to hold jobs and lead full lives. But not you.

Killer_Frost posted:

We didn't have a name until a day after our little one got here. I had a nickname for her too. I still have a hard time calling her by name. She's still my little Hobbit. I doubt she'll ever out grow that one.

Hubby wouldn't tell me his favorite names either. Every time we'd talk he'd give me joke names. Robocop. Batman. The one I wish I could have gotten him to stick with was Ripley (as in Ellen Ripley from Aliens). I still like that one.

We just call him "The Baby". I can't stop thinking this would all be a lot more cute and fun if I didn't work in medicine, haha. I don't think we'll get so attached to a name that we wouldn't change it if it was obviously just not right. One of our pets took weeks to name, and the other was decided before we even MET her. But that was more finding the cat that I wanted, and not finding a name to fit the cat. She was already Delilah, even if the Humane Society thought she was more of a Jasmine.

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.
We didn't tell anybody her name until she was born. I didn't want to hear the standard I-hate-that-name-for-obscure-reason or any "suggestions". I wanted to even keep her sex a surprise to family but my husband unintentionally let it slip.

I know several people, including my midwife and some of the nurses (one in particular had it happen with all of her kids!) went in 100% with a name, saw the baby and things just didn't "fit" so they had come up with something that did.

No one that wants to see the baby (and has a shred of sense) is going to bash the name when there is a cute baby to go with it.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
Both me and my sister in law (we had our daughters 6 days apart) had our mums telling us how much they hated the names we had chosen. I ended up changing the name I liked to a more 'acceptable' name and I regret it a bit - our first choice of Cerys would have gone better with her middle name (Elizabeth) than Eleanor does and I just liked it more. My brother and sister in law didn't tell people the name they had chosen until after the baby was born and they still had her mum calling all the time suggesting alternatives and saying how rubbish the name was. In the end my sister in law had a breakdown on the phone to her mum and that stopped her.

Listening to my mum talking about how terrible my sister in laws mum was being when she had done pretty much the same to me was annoying though. I did point out the irony but she just said 'Oh I wouldn't have really minded what you called her', when all the time I was talking about using Cerys she was googling people who hated having that name and stuff like that. If I could do it all over again I would have stuck to my guns and ignored her.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
We're not telling anyone until she's here, mostly because we want to have something that is our private little secret, but also because that way there will be no comments, at least not to our faces. (also because I want to make sure the name feels right for her, since I'm terrified of announcing the name and then regretting it). But our nickname for her is "little Paprika" (husband is half Hungarian), and since there's a somewhat famous Danish actress with that name, several people have thought that was what we're going to name her, and it's been hilarious seeing the horror in their eyes while they force: "That's nice!" out through gritted teeth.

The name is totally stuck, though, I'm probably going to call her little Paprika until she goes off to university.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Sockmuppet posted:

We're not telling anyone until she's here, mostly because we want to have something that is our private little secret, but also because that way there will be no comments, at least not to our faces. (also because I want to make sure the name feels right for her, since I'm terrified of announcing the name and then regretting it). But our nickname for her is "little Paprika" (husband is half Hungarian), and since there's a somewhat famous Danish actress with that name, several people have thought that was what we're going to name her, and it's been hilarious seeing the horror in their eyes while they force: "That's nice!" out through gritted teeth.

The name is totally stuck, though, I'm probably going to call her little Paprika until she goes off to university.

When I was pregnant with Åsmund, before we had picked out a name I had a dream that we were calling him "Bugg" (a chewing gum that was popular in the eighthies). We called him Bugg long after he was born. Now we've changed to other nicknames :v: Mostly Dådun, it's what he calls himself :3:

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I gave in on her name. I had several that I had been fighting for and ended up giving in because we were able to name her after several family members in many ways and it made him very happy.

People were convinced that we had a name picked and just weren't telling them, but after I had a couple people at work give me the "eew, really? You like that name?" I stopped telling people my choices.

I'm really tired today, but we go to our appointments tomorrow so I'm making cookies to take to my doctor's office (my doctor is pregnant, she was about 10 weeks behind me) and some over to L&D for the nurses. It feels good to do something "normal". I'm just glad she's asleep right now while I'm finishing the baking.

Chicken Biscuits
Oct 17, 2008
It's kind of cute that people think they're "helping" by suggesting names when you say you don't have a name picked out yet. My clients have been doing it, and all I can do is smile and nod. We did decide on Allison Claire, and so far everyone seems to like it. :)

I kept telling my husband that if it was a boy, I wanted to name him James Tiberius. I'm not sure if he could ever live up to that legendary name, though.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

Chicken Biscuits posted:

It's kind of cute that people think they're "helping" by suggesting names when you say you don't have a name picked out yet. My clients have been doing it, and all I can do is smile and nod. We did decide on Allison Claire, and so far everyone seems to like it. :)

I kept telling my husband that if it was a boy, I wanted to name him James Tiberius. I'm not sure if he could ever live up to that legendary name, though.

Yeah it is funny that people think they're helping. His sister would text me like 12 names a day. A girl I worked with would have 3 or 4 names for me every time she would bring me a patient. One day I swear she had suggested 100 or more names by the end of the day.

I kept suggesting super ladies names. Dinah and Laurel were my favorites... Both from Black Canary. I also caught for Mera (Aquaman's wife). He hated them all. :( I like James Tiberius, before the 2009 reboot I probably could have snuck that one by hubby. Lol

I like Claire, that was on our short list.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.

Killer_Frost posted:

I gave in on her name. I had several that I had been fighting for and ended up giving in because we were able to name her after several family members in many ways and it made him very happy.

Hello, red flag. He bullied you into names you weren't keen on and now won't help with basic parenting. You need to work on this poo poo, man. Or you'll be seeking advice on custody arrangements for your divorce in a couple years.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Killer_Frost posted:

Your husband sounds like the biggest dick on the planet. I'm sorry, but she came out of your body. He should at least be open to your final say and out put. Especially since he's refusing to parent.

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006
Once I was a real Turtle.
I got so sick of people asking me incessantly what their names would be and suggesting horrific abominations of names that I sat my man down and told him that we are picking sooner than later.

I am also bad secret keeper so of course as soon as we came up with names I told anyone who asked. Mistake.

For our daughter we chose Natalie Jane. No one had a problem with Natalie (which has no real significance in the family) but Jane for some reason was the part everyone commented on. It's my grandmother's middle name and even she started suggesting all these other middle names that went with Natalie. WHYYYYYY does anyone think suggestions are going to change anyone's mind? It's not up for discussion anymore. We chose already.

For our son we chose William Joseph (both family names). I tell the name and then I specify RIGHT AFTER that he will go by Will and William is just for official "preserve this family name" purposes. Not one second later the comment is always "BILLY JOE" :downs:. No. Will is for all intents and purposes his given name - I JUST SAID IT! :argh:

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

My thing with the name was that he had a real urge to honor the women of his family. My family is crap so all of my choices were less emotionally rooted. I wish he'd shared that sooner, but it took her getting here to pry that out of him. The only name I hated is the middle name. Ann because my middle name is Anne and I was named after an aunt who disowned me when my parents got divorced. BUT Ann is his mothers middle name and his grandmothers middle name, so that I caved on. Besides, how often do you use your middle name? It's the same but its not. So my family sucks, but then she's not named after me and my family so...

He actually has stepped up the last couple of nights. He got a taste of "have to hold her to keep her asleep" for 4 hours last night. Today when he came home from work he asked if I needed a break or anything before he went to lay down for a bit.

Getting a taste of her worse moods I think helped quite a bit. He's really only dealt with her happy and quiet before that. I think she gave him the kick in the pants he needed. When he came to bed he was tired and frustrated because she was still crying and he couldn't figure out why and basically begged me for help.

I seriously high fived a baby at 3 am. Lol

She did better at driving home "mom needs your help" than I ever could explain to him. Tonight he took baby duty without complaint and even asked if I wanted him to watch her so I could take a bath.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Killer frost, I'm really glad to hear things are improving for you :)

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
I appear to be on the Gestational Diabetes boat. What fun. Any advice there? I've got the glucose tolerance test coming up in a couple weeks, but according to my lady, I'm 'a little bit diabetic'.

We were also supposed to find out what it was yesterday, but no dice. Gynecologist said 'you weren't expecting to know, were you? Because I have no idea'. I love her, but she's weird.

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Killer_Frost posted:

Yeah it is funny that people think they're helping. His sister would text me like 12 names a day. A girl I worked with would have 3 or 4 names for me every time she would bring me a patient. One day I swear she had suggested 100 or more names by the end of the day.

I kept suggesting super ladies names. Dinah and Laurel were my favorites... Both from Black Canary. I also caught for Mera (Aquaman's wife). He hated them all. :( I like James Tiberius, before the 2009 reboot I probably could have snuck that one by hubby. Lol

I like Claire, that was on our short list.

Aw, crap, James Tiberius would be an awesome name. I could totally slip that past most of my family, too, but not my dad.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

Molly Bloom posted:

I appear to be on the Gestational Diabetes boat. What fun. Any advice there? I've got the glucose tolerance test coming up in a couple weeks, but according to my lady, I'm 'a little bit diabetic'.

We were also supposed to find out what it was yesterday, but no dice. Gynecologist said 'you weren't expecting to know, were you? Because I have no idea'. I love her, but she's weird.

Thanks Bee. I've gotten good sleep the last couple nights and we don't hate each other for "getting stuck with the baby."

Weird doctor story.
There are brothers in my gyns practice. I had to see them both in case they delivered my wee one. The first brother I saw when my GD results came back. He comes into the room and says, "your sugar numbers were great. Awesome!" *puts arm out for a fist bump* I looked at him for what felt like a minute before I processed what it was he wanted. I'm 30, if I'm too old for a fist bump "bro" then you definitely are. Lol

I hope your numbers end up being geed when you get your test back, but a friend was GD. She basically ate low-carb and did great. You can get yummy bread and pasta that are both low carb, I know when I was eating low carb I never felt like I was depriving myself. Dreamfields pasta and healthy life bread... Both are awesome. Fingers crossed you don't have to worry about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

Killer_Frost posted:

Thanks Bee. I've gotten good sleep the last couple nights and we don't hate each other for "getting stuck with the baby."

Weird doctor story.
There are brothers in my gyns practice. I had to see them both in case they delivered my wee one. The first brother I saw when my GD results came back. He comes into the room and says, "your sugar numbers were great. Awesome!" *puts arm out for a fist bump* I looked at him for what felt like a minute before I processed what it was he wanted. I'm 30, if I'm too old for a fist bump "bro" then you definitely are. Lol

I hope your numbers end up being geed when you get your test back, but a friend was GD. She basically ate low-carb and did great. You can get yummy bread and pasta that are both low carb, I know when I was eating low carb I never felt like I was depriving myself. Dreamfields pasta and healthy life bread... Both are awesome. Fingers crossed you don't have to worry about it.

I think I'd probably have an easier time low-carbing in the US- they don't even really do low-fat here (Can I tell you how much I miss skim milk? Rag on it all you must, but drat. Also, the French dietetic stuff is called 'Gaylord'. Really.). I doubt I'll see good numbers, as my fasting bloodsugar is right at the limit (1 g/l). She's telling me to avoid a lot of fruit and eat more dairy/crackers, but that doesn't seem to jibe with the glycemic index stuff I've been reading in English.