Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Now I have to consider the weird idea of using coins on Mario 3 just so I can wait and buy it at a discount on Wii U.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Are you fuckin kidding me, I just bought Link n' Launch aaaaaaaaaa

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I didn't know anything about Link 'n Launch, but after some web searching, it looks like I'm gonna get me that. It also helps that I already own the other three games on the list. I was getting kind of reluctant to burn through coins in hopes that another expensive limited edition thing would pop up like the gold Nunchuk from a while back (which I did get), but with this Club Nintendo year almost over and all the codes I have on the ready, I think I'll be fine.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Link n' Launch is incredible, everyone needs to own that. In terms of awesome IntSys puzzle games, its DSiWare's Pushmo.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Are you fuckin kidding me, I just bought Link n' Launch aaaaaaaaaa
Now I feel bad for recommending it to you :(

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

elf help book posted:

Now I have to consider the weird idea of using coins on Mario 3 just so I can wait and buy it at a discount on Wii U.

I did that for Super Mario RPG. Worth it even if I have to pay 1.50 for the Wii U version.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Why have I never heard of Link n' Launch before? I'm baffled. I thought I knew the good DSiWare stuff.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Played Link 'n' Launch a bit, and as a fan of puzzle games, this is awesome! Well worth the 150 coin asking price.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

elf help book posted:

I did that for Mario 64 since I figure it's only a matter of time.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Chronojam posted:

I did that for Mario 64 since I figure it's only a matter of time.

I'm probably going to do the same for both SMB3 and F-Zero as its only a matter of time for both.

Yay discounts, or rather just cheap games.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Palmtree Panic posted:

New Club Nintendo rewards are up:

Super Mario 3- Wii VC
F-Zero X-Wii VC
Link n' Launch- DS Ware
Metroid 2 -3DS VC

So pretty decent selection again.

drat it! Just bought Metroid 2! Should I Check out the other DS game?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

homeless snail posted:

Link n' Launch is incredible, everyone needs to own that. In terms of awesome IntSys puzzle games, its DSiWare's Pushmo.

Now I feel bad for recommending it to you :(

Nah, man, it's all good. Just a funny sort of irony to it is all. I'm sure they're be something else to spend coins on soon enough anyway.

Speaking of Link n' Launch, despite going through the Tutorials and even the Advanced Tricks portions, I'm really bad at it. It's well put together, though!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I've been playing it off and on for like a year and a half now and I still can't do the last couple levels . The time limit gets absolutely brutal.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

I don't see much point in buying those monthly games with coins when coins can go towards so much other stuff that's exclusive to there... Rather have that stuff.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES
Is plants vs zombies for the 3DS on parity with the pc version? I know the droid version is lacking a lot of functionality and gameplay that iOS and PC have.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

The T posted:

I don't see much point in buying those monthly games with coins when coins can go towards so much other stuff that's exclusive to there... Rather have that stuff.

That would make sense if there was ever anything worth buying with your coins on the NA Club Nintendo. There was a golden Nunchuk and a Game and Watch recreation, and other than that it's all stuff like stationery and Wii Remote holders.

Still jealous of Japan's SNES controller for the Wii.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Are there any really good 3DS RPGs up on the eShop? I've been poking around but I'm not sure if anything on there is actually worth buying.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Europe got that too, right?

But yeah, still jealous, that thing goes for like $20 or more secondhand.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

DarkHamsterlord posted:

That would make sense if there was ever anything worth buying with your coins on the NA Club Nintendo. There was a golden Nunchuk and a Game and Watch recreation, and other than that it's all stuff like stationery and Wii Remote holders.

Maybe I don't buy enough Nintendo games then, 'cause I've got the 2 G&W Collection DS games and I'm gonna save up for the Ball I think it was recreation.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Emong posted:

Are there any really good 3DS RPGs up on the eShop? I've been poking around but I'm not sure if anything on there is actually worth buying.

Soul Hackers, Etrian Odyssey IV, and if trpgs are your thing, Fire Emblem: Awakening. These are retail price titles; there aren't really any like $10 download RPGs or whatever.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Crimson Shroud is pretty good if you're okay with a D+D-esque game and Denpa Men 2 is supposedly pretty good? Other than that, it's pretty slim pickings when it comes to RPGs right now.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Emong posted:

Denpa Men 2!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

I lasted for exactly 1 fight of crimson shroud. It did absolutely nothing for me and I didn't want to sit through another 5+ minutes of bad text to see another fight. Luckily my friend bought it and I was just trying his copy.

Denpa Men 2 is pretty cool though. Still not sure if there's enough content to justify the relatively high cost (for an eshop title) but it's fun and charming.

I guess Witch & Hero would be considered an rpg. It's kind of interesting for a few bucks. Wouldn't say it's really good though.

There are a few zeldas on the eshop now too. I would go with Link's Awakening since it's a personal favorite.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Artix posted:

Crimson Shroud is pretty good if you're okay with a D+D-esque game

Eh. The problem with this is that a lot of D&D comes down to positioning and spacing, and there's absolutely none of that in Crimson Shroud. It looks like a table-top RPG (and even has an occasional skill check), but that's really where the comparison ends. The actual gameplay just boils down to really bland you-hit-me-I-hit-you JRPG battles.

I wasn't a fan. I say skip it, even for the $5 sale price.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Sarchasm posted:

Eh. The problem with this is that a lot of D&D comes down to positioning and spacing, and there's absolutely none of that in Crimson Shroud. It looks like a table-top RPG (and even has an occasional skill check), but that's really where the comparison ends. The actual gameplay just boils down to really bland you-hit-me-I-hit-you JRPG battles.

This is a really important point and I wish some of the reviews had mentioned it. I bought it because of all the hype about it being a table-top RPG in video game form, and was sorely disappointed. I lasted about an hour of gameplay hoping something would change, and it didn't. It's window-dressing on the standard JRPG gameplay, that's all. I think a lot of the reviewers who made these comparisons don't actually have much (if any) experience playing table-top RPGs.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

petewhitley posted:

This is a really important point and I wish some of the reviews had mentioned it. I bought it because of all the hype about it being a table-top RPG in video game form, and was sorely disappointed. I lasted about an hour of gameplay hoping something would change, and it didn't. It's window-dressing on the standard JRPG gameplay, that's all. I think a lot of the reviewers who made these comparisons don't actually have much (if any) experience playing table-top RPGs.

As a counterpoint, I bought it because I'd only heard it was a pretty solid little JRPG with some dice, and I'm really enjoying it.

I guess expectations really do have a bigger role in your experience than you might think.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Palmtree Panic posted:

New Club Nintendo rewards are up:

Super Mario 3- Wii VC
F-Zero X-Wii VC
Link n' Launch- DS Ware
Metroid 2 -3DS VC

So pretty decent selection again.

Kills me that the last two games I bought with my Wii Points were Super Mario RPG and F-Zero X, and both were just offered with Club Nintendo!

Oh well... 200 coins expiring and I still haven't picked up Super Mario 3. Suppose I'll get that.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

The Project X Zone demo is up on the NA eShop now.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Woo, time to see how much it feels like Namco X Capcom and then feel disappointed because I know I'm going to buy it and endure a horrible slog halfway through it.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Also wow, only 5 uses on the demo. Stingy.

Myrmeleo
Jan 27, 2010

If only I had Earth Power...

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Me and my brother played it just now and enjoyed it. I preordered a physical copy of it for him because he wanted it really bad, but after playing the demo, I want to play it too.

Does anyone know if the game supports multiple save files or not?

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Also wow, only 5 uses on the demo. Stingy.

Ahaha, really? The PAL version has 30.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Oh, hey, Mario 3! I'd love to have that on my 3DS! Usually when there's a great game I want for VC its SNES but this one is NES so I'll totally get that...

... what do you mean its for Wii? :smith:

God damnit Nintendo.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I just played through the Project X Zone demo once. I can see where people are coming from with regards to it getting repetitive in a bad way later on, but just playing one level felt fine and fun. There is a lot to take in in the game, and I honestly didn't understand some of the gameplay systems, but what I did understand was using the third "Solo" character in a group (e.g., Devilotte with Ryu and Ken) and/or another pair close enough on the map as a "Support" attack both helped open up the enemies' guard so they'd actually get juggled and take damage.

Now that I have the flow of battle down somewhat, I think I'll want to try it again in a little while and see if I can start understanding things like how best to apply the Skills each team has (think Seishin/map skills in Super Robot Wars) and which combo patterns work best for maximum damage and XP building.

Speaking of, one annoying thing is the presence of EXP as experience and XP sort of a mana pool that you can use on those Skills and on doing what basically amount to super attacks in battle.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Annath posted:

I guess expectations really do have a bigger role in your experience than you might think.

It's less to do with expectations than preferring one style of game over another.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Man, Nintendo should put the GBC Dragon Warrior Monsters games out on the Virtual Console. I'd buy them a 2nd time each.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Annath posted:

Man, Nintendo should put the GBC Dragon Warrior Monsters games out on the Virtual Console. I'd buy them a 2nd time each.

Wish they translated the DS remake as well. :smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I just played through the Project X Zone demo once. I can see where people are coming from with regards to it getting repetitive in a bad way later on, but just playing one level felt fine and fun. There is a lot to take in in the game, and I honestly didn't understand some of the gameplay systems, but what I did understand was using the third "Solo" character in a group (e.g., Devilotte with Ryu and Ken) and/or another pair close enough on the map as a "Support" attack both helped open up the enemies' guard so they'd actually get juggled and take damage.

Now that I have the flow of battle down somewhat, I think I'll want to try it again in a little while and see if I can start understanding things like how best to apply the Skills each team has (think Seishin/map skills in Super Robot Wars) and which combo patterns work best for maximum damage and XP building.

Speaking of, one annoying thing is the presence of EXP as experience and XP sort of a mana pool that you can use on those Skills and on doing what basically amount to super attacks in battle.

Yeah, it isn't clear but EXP is Experience and XP is Cross Points. It's one of those things which really makes the interface more unclear than it should be.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Rirse posted:

Wish they translated the DS remake as well. :smith:

Apparently, some lone hero is translating the PS1 compilation of DWM1, Cobi, and Terra.

Talen_Soti
Mar 30, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

PAL update (week of June 6):

Lots of price reductions, not a whole lot of new stuff.

PaletteSwappedNinja, do you have the NA updates yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Myrmeleo posted:

Does anyone know if the game supports multiple save files or not?

I think it has like 15 slots.