Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Mister Fister posted:

Boy i hope Dany isn't actually smitten by that Fabio wannabe with his 'silver' tongue and she's just pulling his strings. Hell, i don't even care if she sleeps with him as long as it's to use him for her own ends (plus Jorah being insanely jealous will now never not be funny), but it kinda ruins her character if she's not a hardass who's always in control.

My daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaario arrives :)

Also @redweddingtears also doubles as a great collection of the incorrect use of "literally"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Well, y'know, if they read more books...

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Mister Fister posted:

I dunno, her character is pretty cold, calculating, and in control right now, which is how i like it. It'd be kind of a letdown if she goes gaga over this guy like a justin bieber fan. I mean, I don't mind if her character changes eventually, but I want it to be something traumatic/major, not something so silly and insignificant.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Jesus Christ Ian Glenn

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Leave it to Tumblr to take a six-second .gif of an amazing change of expression and split it in two three-second .gifs cutting right at the most intense moment :ughh:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

NihilCredo posted:

Leave it to Tumblr to take a six-second .gif of an amazing change of expression and split it in two three-second .gifs cutting right at the most intense moment :ughh:

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

You're in the wrong thread if you think we believe reading these books makes you a better person.

I don't know if it makes me a better person, but it definitely makes me a wizard or something.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

So I guess that latter Robb wrote before he died wasn't important after all?

Pretty good episode all 'round, fairplay.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
So, Tasila is also dead.

Made this, posted it in the tviv thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Gn-Aas_cpA

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Between Melisandre and Lady Stoneheart I think the brotherhood might actually be a secret society of masochists who want to take orders from magical women. AKA stand-ins for the reader.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 3, 2013

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Junkenstein posted:

Dear Ned Junior,

I am your dad and, hopefully, still alive when you get this. I am just about to go to your grandnuncle Edmure's wedding with your mum and my mum and great grandnuncle Blackfish and Grey Wind, who won't shut up.

I want to teach you some things you will find useful in life, things my father passed on to me. Like, the man who passes the sentence should carry it out, which is why I am insisting uncle Edmure get married in my place to my first betrothed because OH LOOK HONOUR! Anyway, next week we will be taking Casterly Rock so maybe you will be making GBS threads gold when you are born.

We are nearly at the Twins and I have to go as Winter Is Coming and not in the good way like your mum.

The King in the North

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002

Junkenstein posted:

If it's about legitimizing Jon and making him his heir, he wouldn't do that with a pregnant wife.

Having a pregnant woman to stab in the uterus for the Red Wedding scene is far, far more important to GRRM than the actual plot.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I ran into THE GOONIEST of all RW reaction posts on a foreign site, so much that I felt compelled to:

a) translate it, hopefully preserving the extreme gooniness of the prose

b) post it in this thread of all places

At some points you might find yourself nodding along; I encourage you to wait for the beautiful payoff (as unaccustomed as you may be to such things).

quote:

It's the first time I comment and I wish to emphasise that shocking deaths do not affect me at all, but I just wanted to say that this plot twist, as a non-reader, was ridiculous. A carbon copy of what happened in 1x09, a sneaky little trick to get rid of a whole narrative trunk and in favour of what? More time to be spent on minor and secondary characters which a viewer couldn't give less of a drat about; let's talk about it, like, I should keep watching to enjoy the amazing adventures of Cripple Bran and his pal? Of Chris from Skins, won't even bother remembering his name, getting half-raped by the ginger cougar? Of Osha and that son of Ned Stark I always forget about? Now, that's all fine (ok, not really), but a show (and I repeat, I deliberately did not read the books) NEEDS protagonists, needs a central focus from which a whole series of dynamics and characters can branch out, you can change them along the way alright, but they MUST be there. The rhythm is exasperatingly slow, Dany has been wandering the deserts for millennia growing her dragons and she NEVER gets anywhere (how loving big this realm even is - how convenient...), Arya takes four times as long as anyone else to get from point A to point B (and she is always used for the same plot device, i.e. getting kidnapped/taken into custody/joining up with someone only to arrive too late wherever she needed to go), the Lannisters are standing right there with Tywin being basically the unmatched genius of the whole story (so where the gently caress is his counterpart? since the dawn of time in a story a conflict has to have equal forces clashing out or at the very least, a giant who clashes against someone with the potential to rise to kick his rear end at the right moment). I won't complain about Sansa, Jon Snow, Theon and Tyrion because after all they are painted in a coherent fashion, while the only new characters added since the pilot that I found really fitting and well fleshed-out have been the Tyrells; other than that I really feel like I am staring at a salad of words and characters that doesn't actually lead anywhere except towards making Martin feel like he's the new Tolkien and believe he's written an incredibly epic and dazzling story, FAIL my friend; want a long and well-engineered story with characters who provide strong twists while staying incredibly faithful to themselves and which doesn't bore you in the least as you watch it? It's called Naruto, he should watch it and give it some thought. As a fan of well-told stories, I feel really annoyed by this sort of thing, what bullshit.

- Naruto_87

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 3, 2013

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
That is a pretty decisive sperg though I quibble the use of the term "ginger cougar" owing to Carice van Houten is three months older than me.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
^ hahahahahaha

narutokun~

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.
Yeah don't talk poo poo about Mel she's a thousand times more interesting in the show than she is in the book.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

quote:

"So - when you eliminate just about every character that I care about, then continue to kill anyone with any sense of moral compass with such vengeance so as to punish them for even thinking that principles mattered, allow the wretched and evil to win over and over again and gain more power, and basically remove any and all hope of anything good ever happening (because how can I enjoy a show when every character I liked is now dead,) why is it exactly that I should continue watching?"

Man, it's like watching our own evolution into a bunch of bitter assholes all over again.

Truly, today all men know the gurm.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, its an important day on the twitters - GRRM is handling it well - new announcement...:

http://grrm.livejournal.com/325780.html

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

kcroy posted:

Well, its an important day on the twitters - GRRM is handling it well - new announcement...:

http://grrm.livejournal.com/325780.html

quote:

Why doesn't George R R Martin use twitter?

Cause he killed all 140 characters.

I'll admit it. I laughed.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Sophia posted:

Yeah don't talk poo poo about Mel she's a thousand times more interesting in the show than she is in the book.

She's certainly a lot smarter.

I can't see ShowMel going "durr I look into teh fire and ask for Azor Ahai, and all I see is Jon, why dat?"

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Does anyone have that extreme high resolution image of the GURM handy? I can't seem to find it on Google and I believe this week calls for it.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

ZearothK posted:

Does anyone have that extreme high resolution image of the GURM handy? I can't seem to find it on Google and I believe this week calls for it.

Honestly now, how big are we talking because

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Not as high res, but I believe it better captures his essence:

stawk Archer
Jun 19, 2004

by angerbot
Tywin the unmatched genius of the show. If only he didn't deliberately not read the books then he'd know that Robb won all of his battles and that Edmure was only a gently caress up half of the time.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Ned Stark read a book too, for all the good it did him.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Winter came. As did I.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
My favorite reaction is one from twitter that was something like "I am balling right now, gently caress this show". It made me visualize someone watching the red wedding and then get pissed off and go down the court to throw down a verboten Chaos Dunk

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Urdnot Fire posted:

Ned Stark read a book too, for all the good it did him.

Whoa there spoilermeister. Davos is learning to read and I don't like what you're implying.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Just watched TRW on youtube. No budget for Catelyn shredding her face as she falls into madness?

The gently caress? FAIL

edit: Also what on earth. (note the "poo poo happens" sticker in the background)

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 4, 2013

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Maisie is the best :3:

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

NihilCredo posted:

I ran into THE GOONIEST of all RW reaction posts on a foreign site, so much that I felt compelled to:

a) translate it, hopefully preserving the extreme gooniness of the prose

b) post it in this thread of all places

At some points you might find yourself nodding along; I encourage you to wait for the beautiful payoff (as unaccustomed as you may be to such things).

Whoa whoa whoa whoa... now I caught a thing or two in there about Naruto or something, but they mentions something about a Chris from Skins and a ginger cougar?

edit: oh he plays Gendry. Which ginger cougar is he talking about (there's at least like 5 in this series) and why does that give me a shameful boner?

Contra Calculus fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 4, 2013

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

quote:

Stars react to the Red Wedding:

Clay Matthews, linebacker for the Green Bay Packers, wrote, "Did You Know: George R. R. Martin's writings are fueled by our tears."

All right, which one of you is Clay? Fess up, now. :colbert:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Simon Draskovic posted:

All right, which one of you is Clay? Fess up, now. :colbert:

That can't be true, because we all know Gurm doesn't write.

Also the part where Roose stabs whatsherface in the baby is hilarious. Props to HBO for going darker on this thing than even Gurm did.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
We all know Gurm wanted to fix his gently caress up. He wrote the Red Wedding too mild. The show was his fix on it.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

IRQ posted:

That can't be true, because we all know Gurm doesn't write.
Maybe he'll start again now. Maybe he only stopped because he had run out of us book-readers' tears, and now he has a fresh supply from show only-watchers.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Guess who's going to win the Game of Thrones.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

thetrin posted:

I feel like what needs to happen is that The Hound needs to train Arya to become a pint-sized revenge machine, and each of the living kids make good on their potential. Bran has a ton of potential, and I'd love to see where that goes. The characters I legitimately like in this show are dying off rather quickly, and I'd hate for the whole thing to ultimately be "horrible people kill good but stupid people: the television show".

Non readers are the worst.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fog Tripper posted:

Non readers are the worst.

The thread really hit critical mass when one poster started referring to literate people as "bookfags"

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

I hope to Azor Ahai she doesn't burn out like every other child actor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

pentyne posted:

The thread really hit critical mass when one poster started referring to literate people as "bookfags"

Nah, Aatrek's nonsensical ban on Canadian future posting was the proximate turning point, I reckon.