Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
On the way back to my house my 'new used' motorcycle started cutting out, and I noticed the temp gauge buried on 'cold'

I stopped and looked over my bike, its radiator had sprung a link up front. Huh, why the hell would that happen.

Well what the heck is that thing bottom of the fan shroud....

OH! :stare: It is the fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
:(

Also, "noise while driving"

e:

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jun 3, 2013

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Make a pendant out of that crystal and sell it to some hippy.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Willfrey posted:

On the way back to my house my 'new used' motorcycle started cutting out, and I noticed the temp gauge buried on 'cold'

I stopped and looked over my bike, its radiator had sprung a link up front. Huh, why the hell would that happen.

Well what the heck is that thing bottom of the fan shroud....

OH! :stare: It is the fan.

No poo poo I just spent my long weekend working on my mate's CX400. I knew we should've taken the radiator off and had a look.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

No poo poo I just spent my long weekend working on my mate's CX400. I knew we should've taken the radiator off and had a look.

This is off a 80 CX500D, had quite a few miles on it, don't imagine it would be a supper common thing.

On a side note, to simply remove the radiator cap you basically have to unbolt everything from the radiator except the hoses :wtc: Honda

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 3, 2013

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Willfrey posted:

This is off a 80 CX500D, had quite a few miles on it, don't imagine it would be a supper common thing.

On a side note, to simply remove the radiator on the cap you basically have to unbolt everything from the radiator except the hoses :wtc: Honda

Yeah his one has done 100,000km hence my concern.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Mechanical Failures in the Making: A British Leyland quality control video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRyN4XhJ_ms
TLDR: Our cars are literately murderers.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

stump posted:

I like that they didn't just pick an incident with a pedestrian, they picked one with a pedestrian, AND a smashed infant.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

stump posted:

God, the turn radius on the car the detective gets in to...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

stump posted:

It's like British engineering practice knitted into a cosy, familiar blanket that I can just snuggle up in and have a nap. :allears:

Partly because it's the night shift and I'm in the union.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

MrYenko posted:

I like that they didn't just pick an incident with a pedestrian, they picked one with a pedestrian, AND a smashed infant.

And it kills both Leyland owners in the process.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

"Customer concerned vehicle lost power steering"

Horrible assembly failure. This car had 1800km's on the clock, never been touched. The lines are for the power steering. The clamps literally had never been fitted onto the hoses, they were just chillin' out halfway down so one of the lines just fell off. Someone missed a step in production I guess.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Slavvy posted:

Horrible assembly failure. This car had 1800km's on the clock, never been touched. The lines are for the power steering. The clamps literally had never been fitted onto the hoses, they were just chillin' out halfway down so one of the lines just fell off. Someone missed a step in production I guess.

Must not a Leyland, then.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

What I love about that film is how artlessly it deconstructs all the reasons why British Leyland had hideous quality control issues; most prominently the lovely, production lines, scattered supply chain and workers on the line unable to recognise or having time to flag up issues. Having done all that it then concludes with essentially "It's all about people who persevere and manage to get it right despite the condition and all the other bullshit". Now watch two of our customers and an innocent baby die.

I really wonder how a worker would have felt after watching that...

[e]With the benefit of hindsight and having witnessed the lean manufacturing revolution etc it's kinda staggering to watch.

Munin fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 4, 2013

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

MrYenko posted:

They didn't even show the worst bit getting treated for injuries by the NHS in some ancient slaughterhouse of a hospital

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

CommieGIR posted:

God, the turn radius on the car the detective gets in to...

That my my first thought too. What a terrible turn radius that Leyland Princess has.
I stopped watching after that though.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.

Fo3 posted:

I stopped watching after that though.
Then you missed the gratuitous boob shot and 60's era sexism around 11:12 minutes.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Possibly less of interest to non-Brits, but almost all of the characters in that film were B actors from Brit TV and pretty well known.

I saw:

Poirot (Both Poirot and Inspector Jap)
Fools and Horses (Denzil)
Last of the Summer Wine (Alf)
Are you Being Served (Mr Lucas)
On The Buses (Arthur)

Plus a couple of others from a Carry On and a Sweeney villain.

I can't help but laugh every time they use the word 'quality' in front of a Jag, Princess or other BL car.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

spog posted:

I can't help but laugh every time they use the word 'quality' in front of a Jag, Princess or other BL car.

They seemed to pretty much state "a Jag isn't better quality, just fancier stuff put together with the same inferior British adhesives"

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

Possibly less of interest to non-Brits, but almost all of the characters in that film were B actors from Brit TV and pretty well known.

I saw:

Poirot (Both Poirot and Inspector Jap)
Fools and Horses (Denzil)
Last of the Summer Wine (Alf)
Are you Being Served (Mr Lucas)
On The Buses (Arthur)

Plus a couple of others from a Carry On and a Sweeney villain.

How did you not notice Madeline Smith?

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"
"We can see what figures he's worried about, 38c this month, not bad."

That video really does have it all.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

That is the film version of the whole "horrible little man" routine, with BL management playing the Sergant-Major and the employees playing the lowly private.

Also, it tickles me pink that poor Mr. Gibbs, having just spent the last twenty minutes ripping into the service manager over his shoddy BL car, gets hit and killed by another defective BL product (as if there was any other kind). Does this make me a bad person?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The police then turn up in an All-Aggro themselves. You kind of want someone to come to a halt in a Datsun 120Y or something, just to see how everyone reacts.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Auckland drivers.jpg

It's hard to make out, but this guy ran over not one, but two foot-high rocks placed specifically to stop people driving down the grass. Made an almighty crunch and his sill is badly stoved in.

Before anyone criticizes me for not helping him out with my building full of workshop tools, the guy next door had by this point volunteered his forklift.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Auckland drivers.jpg

It's hard to make out, but this guy ran over not one, but two foot-high rocks placed specifically to stop people driving down the grass. Made an almighty crunch and his sill is badly stoved in.

Before anyone criticizes me for not helping him out with my building full of workshop tools, the guy next door had by this point volunteered his forklift.

I am an rear end in a top hat and I would much rather give you an award for not helping and criticize the guy who volunteered the forklift.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah seriously call a tow truck and pay for your horrible mentalical failure

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

:stonk:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Holy poo poo! :catstare:

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
I'm gonna need more context for that, did the rod come out of the road and how on earth did the driver not get impaled?

Looks like somebody poo poo themselves but I don't see any blood...

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

UraniumAnchor posted:

I'm gonna need more context for that, did the rod come out of the road and how on earth did the driver not get impaled?

Looks like somebody poo poo themselves but I don't see any blood...

I think the might be the seat of the person's pants impaled on the rod on the back of the driver's seat. Looks like lucky seating position.

I presume the rod used to be partially embedded in the road surface which is all torn up.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Found it on reddit, only context was "Driver ran over steel rod"

And yeah, looks like some jeans, maybe some underwear as well. I don't see any blood though.

I wonder how insurance would handle that.. and if it'd wind up being totaled for that or not. How do you even fix something like that?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 6, 2013

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I guess you could call it a Pole Vaultvo.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

I say old chap have you any of the good sort of catnip if you know what I mean... harrumphaarmaammhhhmm

Colonel Sanders posted:

I am an rear end in a top hat and I would much rather give you an award for not helping and criticize the guy who volunteered the forklift.

I'd have volunteered the forklift in an instant, just so I'd get to see the glorious destruction up-close while laughing and saying "you stupid, stupid motherfucker."

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I guess you could call it a Pole Vaultvo.

At least it's not one of those new Polestars :v:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rujo King posted:

I'd have volunteered the forklift in an instant, just so I'd get to see the glorious destruction up-close while laughing and saying "you stupid, stupid motherfucker."

Disappointingly, he managed to free it using the scissor jack. Even more disappointingly, using the scissor jack on a grassy slope didn't result in injury or death.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I saw some econobox solidly parked on a rock like that, except it was under the front subframe and oil pan. Both front wheels were off the ground. The owners were standing around waiting for a tow.

I have no loving idea how they pulled that off, aside from abject stupidity and/or complete inability to drive.

(ironically, I was on my way to a drivers retraining course. To keep from losing my license. Because of a handful of loving INSPECTION TICKETS from driving a hoopty truck. Did you know inspection tickets counted as a point on your license? I sure didn't.)

Also, that steel rod is known as rebar or concrete reinforcement bar. Probably dropped accidentally by a truck making a delivery to a construction project, then happened to kick up and snag something at just the wrong moment. Jesus :stonk:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Solidly parked on a rock you say?

The only wheel touching the ground was the left front one. Why the gently caress do you have that much speed at a McDonalds drive-in?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Solidly parked on a rock you say?

The only wheel touching the ground was the left front one. Why the gently caress do you have that much speed at a McDonalds drive-in?

Missed the brake pedal and hit the gas?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It's not a Toyota. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

EightBit posted:

Missed the brake pedal and hit the gas?

I really want to know how this is possible. You read about it, and hear about it, and see those fluff pieces on the news where some geriatric plowed through the front of a gas station, but how does it really happen? How? You have thousands of hours of driving a car, every car is basically the same, your body is as accustomed to where the brake is as it is to wiping your rear end or turning the tap the right way to make water come out. On top of which, you have to hold down the gas for a sustained period of time AND jam it to the floor to get truly spectacular results.

I don't get it.