Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PastaSky
Dec 15, 2009
This show is very fun :). The blonde bomb girl was very entertaining. I hope we see more of her.

I want her and Misaka to hang out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

I was disappointed that Frenda didn't use a stuffed Gekoto doll for one of the bombs. Now that would have pissed off Misaka something fierce.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I just wonder how they will wrap this arc up, seeing as the end of the Radio Noise / Sisters arc was already covered in Index.

How about a Fallout style ending slides? :v:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Falken posted:

How about a Fallout style ending slides? :v:

One for each of the 20,000 sisters?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'd rather not read an obituary, thanks.

Wili
Apr 7, 2010

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttppp!
The first season, I hated the filler episodes because I wanted to get to what we are watching now. This season however, I am looking forward to the potential filler arcs. There is a lot of stuff that could be great between now and the next big arc.

I want an straightforward slice of life episode set during Angel Fall. I want an extended Etzali arc with Kuroko and the rest chaperoning/stalking on Mikoto's date. I want hijinks involving the Sisters.

Mason Dixon posted:

I was disappointed that Frenda didn't use a stuffed Gekoto doll for one of the bombs. Now that would have pissed off Misaka something fierce.

This manga omake may interest you.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

I'd be okay with the filler junk this season if it wasn't entirely "Mikasa angsting and brooding while her friends awkwardly look on without actually prying enough to figure out what's up/help out." It's loving boring.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

I'd be okay with the filler junk this season if it wasn't entirely "Mikasa angsting and brooding while her friends awkwardly look on without actually prying enough to figure out what's up/help out." It's loving boring.

If they really did bring in Mikasa for anime filler, that'd make it the best anime filler across all of the Raildex seasons.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

JosephWongKS posted:

If they really did bring in Mikasa for anime filler, that'd make it the best anime filler across all of the Raildex seasons.

The titans are an Academy City project gone rogue! :science:

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
I don't think I'm ever going to get tired of people mixing those names up.

(I just use her first name to avoid ambiguity, what with the whole Sisters thing kind of encouraging that anyway :v:)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

JosephWongKS posted:

"My specialty is chopping up screentime."

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Relambrien posted:

I don't think I'm ever going to get tired of people mixing those names up.

Clearly, we should just refer to her as Biribiri to avoid confusion.

In the meantime, I'm gonna enjoy all the Misaka/Mikasa fanart:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

:siren:This Post Contains Mild Spoilers From The Index Novels.:siren:

I agree that it's dumb and silly. But that's EXACTLY what she does in the Index novels, at least. Railgun (I'm going to call her that to prevent mixups with Attack on Titan) does everything possible to keep Kuroko, Uiharu, and Saten from ever learning about the Sisters or her adventures outside of Academy City with Touma and Index.

JosephWongKS posted:

"We are the Gekota and they are the Espers". Or however that opening segment flows in German.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009

Redcrimson posted:

The anatomy on that fanart is really terrible.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cubemario posted:

The anatomy on that fanart is really terrible.
The most generic statement in the world.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Kuroko is technically working for the city. Pretty much every major event in the franchise involves major illegal activities on both sides. Keeping her out of it is pretty sensible, actually.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I've spent the better part of the last couple of weeks plowing through the entire Index novel series. I didn't want to start it because it's so massive, but I decided to give it a go. All because of this particular anime.

In the series, there's no indication at all that Mikoto (let's use her first name so we don't confuse her with Mikasa from Attack on Titan) ever actually encountered Accelerator at this juncture in the storyline. I found the scenario rather jarring as :siren: (light novel-Index Anime spoiler) I got the distinct impression from the light novels that when Mikoto does finally decide to confront Accelerator, it's the first time but she knows she's bound to lose.

Of the seven level 5 esper's in Academy City, Mikoto is ranked number three and Accelerator is ranked number one. This information is clearly spelled out, multiple times -- I mean a lot, really a lot, in the light novels. There's no reason to think Mikoto encountered Accelerator and barely survived this encounter (same light novel--Index Anime spoiler again) prior to her decision to engage Accelerator and make him stop killing the clones. The difference between the two of them seems clear enough from the get-go that that encounter wasn't required.

That doesn't mean the encounter we saw couldn't happen. I just didn't expect it. I thought, "Wait. This didn't happen. Huh?" Then, "Well, I guess it could've occurred."

With that said, seeing ITEM appear was an extremely pleasant surprise. The light novels have a good deal of information regarding ITEM and one whole volume is dedicated to ITEM as well as other (there is no Kamijou Touma in this volume at all).

About 13 minutes into Episode 17 of Index II, I found a true gem regarding Mikoto and Kuroko. I'll leave you with this, but the entire scene is terrific:

If I were going to change my SA avatar, I think this would be it -- minus the text.

(edit -- added this extremely minor light novel spoiler)
One more :siren: light-novel-only (this is not in any Index anime yet) spoiler :siren: regarding Kuroko's ignorance of the Sisters/Clones: Mikoto specifically decides not to let Kuroko in on the fact they exist because she's afraid of what Kuroko might do to them regarding Kuroko's sexual obsession with Mikoto herself. It might not have started out that way, but Mikoto makes a definite conscious decision in toward this end in the light novels.

Dan7el fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 4, 2013

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Serious Frolicking posted:

Kuroko is technically working for the city. Pretty much every major event in the franchise involves major illegal activities on both sides. Keeping her out of it is pretty sensible, actually.

Add to that Uiharu is also working for the city, and you have both competent friends removed from the equation.

Capability wise it's really an odd group:
Railgun - Superb power, flexibility and finesse, but her personality doesn't help her much when it comes to dealing with the dark side of the city, unless it's something that can be simply blown away.

Kuroko - High mobility and close combat ability, personality also well suited to fighting really. But since she's in Judgement her activity is suppressed.

Uiharu - Apparently the single best hacker in the city, working with Railgun theres probably no system security they can't penetrate. Pretty much completely harmless in combat, plus she's oblivious.

Saten - No skills worth mention other than an uncanny ability to find and jump into trouble. I suppose they need a token normal person.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Saten - Special ability using bats to wreck computers

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Veekie, I think you are selling Saten a timy bit short, she's actually pretty heroic and more than willing to put herself in danger for other people even when faced with bad guys with powers, specifically the first episodes of both Railgun series and the bat to computer action.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Dan7el posted:

About 13 minutes into Episode 17 of Index II, I found a true gem regarding Mikoto and Kuroko. I'll leave you with this, but the entire scene is terrific:

That's really more of a Kuroko/Uiharu scene, since Mikoto is just kinda there waiting for Touma.

Still a great scene, though. :allears:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Dan7el posted:

(edit -- added this extremely minor light novel spoiler)
One more :siren: light-novel-only (this is not in any Index anime yet) spoiler :siren: regarding Kuroko's ignorance of the Sisters/Clones: Mikoto specifically decides not to let Kuroko in on the fact they exist because she's afraid of what Kuroko might do to them regarding Kuroko's sexual obsession with Mikoto herself. It might not have started out that way, but Mikoto makes a definite conscious decision in toward this end in the light novels.
What kind of terrible author deliberately avoids the funniest thing that could possibly happen? :negative:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm surprised the authorities let Misaki wander around freely the way she does. Isn't she far and away the most dangerous Level 5 in the city? Accelerator can only maim and kill you; Misaki can destroy your memories and your identity, enslave you, and make you love her for enslaving you. I would have thought that once you discover someone with mind control abilities, you would immediately lock her in a sealed room instead of going out of your way to develop her powers and make her even stronger.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

JosephWongKS posted:

I'm surprised the authorities let Misaki wander around freely the way she does. Isn't she far and away the most dangerous Level 5 in the city? Accelerator can only maim and kill you; Misaki can destroy your memories and your identity, enslave you, and make you love her for enslaving you. I would have thought that once you discover someone with mind control abilities, you would immediately lock her in a sealed room instead of going out of your way to develop her powers and make her even stronger.
As long as Crowley is somewhere she doesn't know about, I'd bet that he doesn't care and thinks she'd be a great tool. If she leaves a trail of broken lives behind, well, it's great practice for her!

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Well :siren:minor Index light novel Spoiler.:siren: There are machines that either dampen or disrupt ESPer powers, in one of the LN's GROUP have a hard time rescuing musujime's friends because of the ESP disrupters. So it wouldn't be inconieveable that they set those machines up anywhere they don't want her to use her powers

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chillyrabbit posted:

Well :siren:minor Index light novel Spoiler.:siren: There are machines that either dampen or disrupt ESPer powers, in one of the LN's GROUP have a hard time rescuing musujime's friends because of the ESP disrupters. So it wouldn't be inconieveable that they set those machines up anywhere they don't want her to use her powers

"GROUP"? There's seriously a group in the series called "GROUP"? :lol:

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

JosephWongKS posted:

"GROUP"? There's seriously a group in the series called "GROUP"? :lol:
Yup. They're also the "good guy" group and made up of side characters from the earlier arcs of Index so if you follow this series they'll come up a lot.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zettace posted:

Yup. They're also the "good guy" group and made up of side characters from the earlier arcs of Index so if you follow this series they'll come up a lot.

The writer may be pretty creative in coming up with ESPer powers and uses for them, but he's not so good at giving names to collective bodies, is he? Next you'll be telling me there's an organization named "ORGANIZATION" and a school named "SCHOOL".

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jun 4, 2013

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Well, there's a group named "SCHOOL" so you're partly right.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

I love the stupid acronym group names, they're so silly. :3: Also yeah, totally mixed up Mikasa and Misaka before. Whoops!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I don't think they are even acronyms. Just random english words in capital letters.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Redcrimson posted:

I haven't watched a single episode of that show yet.

e: I really ought to pick up the light novels, but is Touma as loving boring as he is in the show?

Falken fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jun 4, 2013

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009

Falken posted:

I haven't watched a single episode of that show yet.

e: I really ought to pick up the light novels, but is Touma as loving boring as he is in the show?

Touma is generally not a character, so yes, he's painfully dull.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

JosephWongKS posted:

LN and manga stuff: Most of the true higher-ups are in secure, heavily trapped, isolated and/or hidden locations, possibly even under disguise. Misaki can't affect minds she can't see, meaning she has to be within a certain range to be effective. Additionally, she is almost certainly crucial to some of Crowley's plans, almost all the L5s are too powerful and rare to just discard(Accelerator for Level 6 Shift, Dark Matter for Dark Matter technology, Railgun for Radio Noise(and thus, FUZE=KAZAKIRI), all of them for Five-Over technology), while ALSO being pretty much uncontrollable.

Add to that they have developed effective mental protection equipment, and they have reasonable security available to important areas if you also include the possibility of a Kihara using super genius powers to counter her influence. Finally, it's very likely that she had influenced underlings to play down her danger level.

Also I'd rank L5 mental stability about so(at this time in the show anyway): Railgun > Mental Out > Sogita Gunha > Meltdowner > Accelerator > Dark Matter. Accelerator gets better, Dark Matter and Meltdowner gets worse.
When she's the second or third most stable overpowered nutcase, and probably not going to turn the city into a steaming puddle, keeping her around isn't so bad.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

veekie posted:

Also I'd rank L5 mental stability about so(at this time in the show anyway): Railgun > Mental Out > Sogita Gunha > Meltdowner > Accelerator > Dark Matter. Accelerator gets better, Dark Matter and Meltdowner gets worse.

Spoilering in case even my question itself is spoilery: Aren't there seven Level 5s in the series? I only see six names listed in your ranking above.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
There's a mystery one. I don't think I've ever seen the power or name described.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
You should read this manga chapter. It is a slice of life chapter that happens after index/sisters. It doesn't contain any spoilers that weren't in Index. Except that Meltdown's crew survives the arc.
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/To-Aru-Kagaku-no-Choudenjibou/Vol-007-Ch-043--Negotiation?id=104015

There we are introduced to most of the level 5s.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

tonberrytoby posted:

You should read this manga chapter. It is a slice of life chapter that happens after index/sisters. It doesn't contain any spoilers that weren't in Index. Except that Meltdown's crew survives the arc.
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/To-Aru-Kagaku-no-Choudenjibou/Vol-007-Ch-043--Negotiation?id=104015

I went on to the next chapter as well and oh my god Sogita Gunha is amazing. :allears: I don't even know what his power is but I'd love to have another spin-off series featuring him.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jun 4, 2013

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

tonberrytoby posted:

Best part of that chapter is the Dark Matter imagine spot.

Come to think of it, I wonder if Railgun's Russian hijinks will get animated. It's set well after the Index anime's current point though.

EDIT: Also, in hindsight...where the hell did Frenda stuff all those bombs and igniters. Her outfit doesn't have room for even one of her pocket rockets.

veekie fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jun 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Number Six is still unknown, Gunha is the best character in the franchise, and his power is that he is Amazing. I'm not even kidding, he seems like he can do anything, nobody has any idea how, and his signature technique is called "Amazing Punch". He's only ranked #7 because even he doesn't know how his ability really works. I believe it's stated that if he ever properly figured it out he'd jump way up the Level 5 rankings.

It's too bad he doesn't have very many appearances though.

veekie posted:

Best part of that chapter is the Dark Matter imagine spot.

Come to think of it, I wonder if Railgun's Russian hijinks will get animated. It's set well after the Index anime's current point though.

EDIT: Also, in hindsight...where the hell did Frenda stuff all those bombs and igniters. Her outfit doesn't have room for even one of her pocket rockets.

Dunno about her time in Russia. That chapter of the comic seems to be referring to some time in the past when she gave a demonstration there, but that's the only time I've heard of it. Unless you mean (very light novel spoilers) when she goes there in the later index novels to find Touma. If they do a season 3 of index I kinda doubt they would be able to get that far, there's a lot of stuff between where they are and there. A fourth season might be able to make it up to there, maybe. Wouldn't be in railgun, though.

Frenda having a bunch of missiles, grenades, and igniters up her skirt has been a subject that's come up a lot since the last episode, with slo-mo gifs and such for a closer look. The general gag consensus seems to be that even though she's listed as a Level 0 everywhere, the anime staff changed it so she actually has an ability giving her a 4th dimensional pocket.

• Locked thread