Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

roger wilco posted:

not do business with them on any level after pulling that.
I don't feel slighted,

You sound a bit slighted. Oh well, as long as you can separate the product from the scum that sells it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
maintenance milestone: The original battery in my 06 mustang died today. :patriot:

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

A.o.D. posted:

maintenance milestone: The original battery in my 06 mustang died today. :patriot:

In my mustang, I replace my battery yearly, since I hardly ever drive my car the battery always dies.
Fortunately Walmart has a year long warranty on the batteries I get there, so I get a new battery every year practically
under thier warranty

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

A.o.D. posted:

The original battery in my 07 was still going strong when I sold it a month ago. Motorcraft batteries are the best.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

lazer_chicken posted:

The original battery in my 07 was still going strong when I sold it a month ago. Motorcraft batteries are the best.

My '03 finally died sometime in '11.

That was with approximately 4 years of sitting around doing nothing too, between not having a parking permit in college and unemployment.

Aberroyc
Jul 12, 2007
I killed my battery after a year in my '11. Sounds like the trickle problem is still existent in the S197's. Free motorcraft 3 year replacement though, I'm cool with that.

igv9
Sep 3, 2006
Everything witty I could put here has already been said.

Aberroyc posted:

I killed my battery after a year in my '11. Sounds like the trickle problem is still existent in the S197's. Free motorcraft 3 year replacement though, I'm cool with that.

I killed the battery in my '10 in a little under a year, but the replacement has held up since then.

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

what a long strange thread its been
Man this is nuts. I had the same Autolite battery in 65 comet for 10 years before I finally had to replace it. The new one has been in there about six years now going strong. With an electronic ignition.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The Battery in my '07 died in '11. Not too bad of a run, but not the crazy lengths some of you guys are reporting.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

goodfuldead posted:

Man this is nuts. I had the same Autolite battery in 65 comet for 10 years before I finally had to replace it. The new one has been in there about six years now going strong. With an electronic ignition.

I replaced my 2000 Ranger's original battery this year, it had a good run. I was also pretty baffled when I pulled the dead battery out of my 2006 Buell and it was the original Harley-Davidson unit - that high-comp vtwin is rough on batteries, that it lasted 7ish years is a small miracle.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

After having a total of 7 different mustangs during my years of car ownership I finally tracked down my white whale in an 85 capri with low miles and in great condition for under 4000 dollars. Picking it up tomorrow and more excited about this one then any other car ive bought. Also looked at an 86 svo but it was all junked out unfortunately, probably would have picked that up too just to have it as ive never owned that particular style of mustang but ive had 2 turbo coupes previously.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

I'm getting my MGW shifter in, but I'm losing interest in installing it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGFVtasExTs

Is a shop going to know to go through all these steps? What's that going to cost? My biggest problem is getting to the under car stuff with ramps or jacks.

edit: Just watched an Eric The Car Guy video... I should lift a side of the car, not the front or rear, derp :jiggled:

Longpig Bard fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 4, 2013

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
So a two week update from a guy that drove four mid 90s oldsmobiles for the past ten years: Driving a mustang gt is awesome. My father and brother like it so much that they keep washing it for me and polishing the wheels, I can get used to that.

Heres a question, is it bad for the clutch to start from a standstill in 2nd gear? The car just goes through 1st gear so fast its kind of annoying if Im city driving. 04 GT for reference.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Cage posted:

So a two week update from a guy that drove four mid 90s oldsmobiles for the past ten years: Driving a mustang gt is awesome. My father and brother like it so much that they keep washing it for me and polishing the wheels, I can get used to that.

Heres a question, is it bad for the clutch to start from a standstill in 2nd gear? The car just goes through 1st gear so fast its kind of annoying if Im city driving. 04 GT for reference.

What gear ratio do you have? 3.31 2nd gear lugs a lot, it sounds like a diesel truck because the engine is lugging so much.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

coolskillrex remix posted:

What gear ratio do you have? 3.31 2nd gear lugs a lot, it sounds like a diesel truck because the engine is lugging so much.
I have no idea. I wouldnt say it sounds like a diesel its just deeper, but all the power is still there. It doesnt sound like when I used to accidentally go from 2-5.

Cage fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 4, 2013

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

If I recall correctly, the 04 GT should have the 3.27 rear end, like the 2000. If so, you're fine to start in second - it's not GREAT for the clutch, but it's not particularly bad, and it's not lugging the engine, either.

roger wilco
Jun 22, 2012

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Is a shop going to know to go through all these steps? What's that going to cost? My biggest problem is getting to the under car stuff with ramps or jacks.

edit: Just watched an Eric The Car Guy video... I should lift a side of the car, not the front or rear, derp :jiggled:

Yeah the MGW install vs. Barton + Bracket ultimately made me go with the Barton. I don't know what sort of level car wizard you are, but I'm just a guy who knows about cars and works on them sometimes. If a job is too big i'm not too proud to have a shop do it. The barton install just seemed frankly easier and while reviews generally agree that the MGW is the superior product as it is a complete shifter + linkage replacement (plus that nifty heat shield!) where the Barton/Steeda/FR is just shifter+bracket, it's not like the barton gets panned -- people generally like them, and the throw looked just right to me. Plus (and this was important to me personally) install can be something that a rusty knuckle busting bolt dropper like me and my 16 year old kid can do together on a saturday for an hour or two. I still haven't been able to install the barton stuff yet though since the car is still at the dealer getting fixed blah blah blah but once I get it back I'll put it in and report back. If she ever comes back to me, that is.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

I didn't watch the whole thing but why is he using standard sockets on a car? Why isn't everything metric?

EDIT: LOL @ dynamic control heat shield plate material

Lord Gaga fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jun 4, 2013

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Lord Gaga posted:

I didn't watch the whole thing but why is he using standard sockets on a car? Why isn't everything metric?

EDIT: LOL @ dynamic control heat shield plate material

Because :911:, all the bolts on his shifter are standard.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Because :911:, all the bolts on his shifter are standard.

He claimed to be using a 3/8 to remove the original shifter. That's bullshit and they're actually 9mm right?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

This was mentioned a long time ago in this thread, but the main thing I miss, going from Mustang with suck traction control to Challenger, is the feeling that my car is going to just spin out every time it hits a minor bump, and literally drifting sideways down the street on my way to work when there was an inch of slushy snow on the ground. When I first got the Mustang, all that stuff was scary as hell, but towards the end, it was all part of the fun.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Lord Gaga posted:

He claimed to be using a 3/8 to remove the original shifter. That's bullshit and they're actually 9mm right?
It's probably the only 9mm on the car, if so. Then again, it'd also be the only standard bolt, so ...

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Krakkles posted:

It's probably the only 9mm on the car, if so. Then again, it'd also be the only standard bolt, so ...

I guess of the socket is cheap enough or worn out enough it'd work.

roger wilco
Jun 22, 2012
Day 25. They say it will be done tomorrow. I was out and close to the dealership so I pulled in and saw my car just out with the hood popped (but not up) and the center console / shifter out. The console was laying on the floor. This car had been garaged every night since I brought it home, and here it was being blasted by the sun for almost a month. There was a layer of dust on it. It sort of made me sick/sad. I knew too that the whole transmission wasn't even on the car. I felt sick looking at it. There was a pair of channel locks sitting on the seat for crying out loud.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011

roger wilco posted:

Day 25. They say it will be done tomorrow. I was out and close to the dealership so I pulled in and saw my car just out with the hood popped (but not up) and the center console / shifter out. The console was laying on the floor. This car had been garaged every night since I brought it home, and here it was being blasted by the sun for almost a month. There was a layer of dust on it. It sort of made me sick/sad. I knew too that the whole transmission wasn't even on the car. I felt sick looking at it. There was a pair of channel locks sitting on the seat for crying out loud.

If it makes you feel any better it takes about 25 seconds to put the center console on. Should be receiving my MGW shifter with composite knob in the next few days (3~1.5mo backorder) and I will try to take a few pictures of the install but it's pretty widely documented.

Pull the trigger on MGW or at least get the Energy bushing to pick up on the slack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XynDGixQNhs

bowling 4 buttcoins fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 8, 2013

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

roger wilco posted:

There was a layer of dust on it. It sort of made me sick/sad. I knew too that the whole transmission wasn't even on the car. I felt sick looking at it.

Take a deep breath dude: it's a machine, made in a factory, and one of the parts it came with happened to be defective. If you're getting this emotional about it you should probably move to New York or Chicago or Portland where you don't need to own a car and can do all your on bicycle maintenance yourself.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Krakkles posted:

I got in there today to prep to put on my MGW shifter tomorrow, the stock bolts are 3/8, 9mm will fit but loosely.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

roger wilco posted:

Just think about how that car is gonna look in 15-20 years when it's on it's 6th owner.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLVSiuqVh5U

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011

Are you adjusting the lock out at all? I'm a bit curious to see how this effects the 1-2 shift on normal driving as most people are leaving it stock or doing one more twist to 6 rotations.

Whiteline sale!

roger wilco
Jun 22, 2012
yeah I washed the sand out of my chocha and feel a bit better about things now. They still have the car, but I think while they were monkeyinga round with the trans they broke something because they decided friday to just put in a whole new transmission. I have no idea why they didn't just decide this 3 weeks ago, but whatever. I should get the car back tomorrow or Wednesday. With the new trans I don't expect any further issues. Probably just got a dud from the factory. In the meantime I bought a focus ST and I've been tearing it up with that bad boy Mario Kart style while I wait for my stang. Then I'll drive the Mustang and let the wife drive the ST, which is cool because she loves it and I can finally get rid of that dreaded minivan.

roger wilco
Jun 22, 2012
hate to double post but ford says they are willing to do a buyback on the car. I just want them to eat the loan at this point. Anyone had any experience with Ford buybacks?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I believe they owe you the down payment (or whatever your trade in was valued at) plus whatever monthly payments you've made. If you paid cash / bought it outright, they owe you the full purchase price of the vehicle. Whether incidentals (oil changes, tags etc) are included, I don't know. They *may* deduct value from the car in terms of mileage you put on it, damage/dings, etc. Check your states lemon law and possibly talk to a lawyer.

Tide fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jun 11, 2013

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

roger wilco posted:

hate to double post but ford says they are willing to do a buyback on the car. I just want them to eat the loan at this point. Anyone had any experience with Ford buybacks?

I think your only option is a ZL1 or Z28 now. There is no turning back.

roger wilco
Jun 22, 2012
now they've changed the story. Since the trans was backordered until July they ordered the new bearing and were able to get the car back together again. They are "driving it now" and said it should be ready either late today or tomorrow. I don't want to wait any longer -- I'm tired of waiting and I'm upset that the whole trans wasn't replaced. I'm upset because now I'll have no faith in the trans for the entire time I've owned the car since they "fixed it" and didn't replace it.

Also I know now that if I install the barton + bracket that I have waiting then they will do everything they can to void my warranty. I can't really risk that with a car that's already had trans issues. So now I'll be stuck with those long-rear end stock throws forever, and that was always something I'd planned on replacing. Such BS. Now my panties are in a twist thinking about the whole thing and I'm in sperg mode so I'll stop.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

roger wilco posted:

Also I know now that if I install the barton + bracket that I have waiting then they will do everything they can to void my warranty. I can't really risk that with a car that's already had trans issues. So now I'll be stuck with those long-rear end stock throws forever, and that was always something I'd planned on replacing. Such BS. Now my panties are in a twist thinking about the whole thing and I'm in sperg mode so I'll stop.

Why not install it, and if you have any issues with the car in the future, just swap it back out with the stock shifter?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Devyl posted:

Why not install it, and if you have any issues with the car in the future, just swap it back out with the stock shifter?

This, plus a healthy dose of :chillpill:. Don't obsess over what parts were or were not replaced. When you get it back, drive it the way it's meant to be driven and see if it's fixed. If not, start lemon-law proceedings. If so, drive it a while longer to make sure it hasn't come back, then put the shifter on. If it returns, swap the shifter back off and do your best to replicate it, then take it back / start lemon-law proceedings.

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011

roger wilco posted:

now they've changed the story. Since the trans was backordered until July they ordered the new bearing and were able to get the car back together again. They are "driving it now" and said it should be ready either late today or tomorrow. I don't want to wait any longer -- I'm tired of waiting and I'm upset that the whole trans wasn't replaced. I'm upset because now I'll have no faith in the trans for the entire time I've owned the car since they "fixed it" and didn't replace it.

Honestly I don't think the fix you're looking for can be had with the Barton 2 post shifter. Never been in a MT82 with one yet but if you're looking for more than a shorter throw, if not peace of mind go with a MGW.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Couple things...

First, I would insist on an extended warranty, at least for the drivetrain. Get this in writing, preferably from your Ford rep and not necessarily from the dealer. Take it as high as need be to get an answer to your satisfaction.

Two, try and get in writing (from Ford) that an aftermarket shifter will not void your warranty in accordance with the Moss Magnuson Act. This is a longshot, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Anecdotally, in more than a decade in participating in automotive forums, I've never heard of a shifter voiding the warranty by any dealer/manufacturer, but there's a first time for everything. If they won't put it in writing (I wouldn't if I were them), no big deal.

Treat the car this point forward as if you didn't have the transmission issue until you have the issues again - at which point follow IOC's advice and start lemon law proceedings with the help of a lawyer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roger wilco
Jun 22, 2012
this morning the guy at the dealership called me and said that actually they do have a trans they can put in, but it doesn't have some "lock out" component in it that the MT82 that my car has came with. He said other than that it's the same trans. I said "You mean like when it locks me out from 2nd to 3rd sometimes?" (a LOT of people complain about this) and he goes "yep." So I think they put something in the trans that closes the gate the 3rd under certain circumstances. I also can't help but wonder if it wasn't part of the reason the synchro went.

As for the car, Once I get it back they have offered to make a car payment and do the 5 year - 125k mile platinum care plan for the car. The thought of never paying for another oil change appeals to me, but the thought of having another trans issue with a different trans does not. Luckily I'm waaaay past lemon law at this point so if the car has to go in the shop for ANY OTHER ISSUE - not trans - I can claim relief under the lemon law since they've had the car for so long at this point:

MI Lemon Law posted:

Q. What is considered a reasonable number of repair attempts?

A.It is presumed that a reasonable number of repair attempts have been taken if one of the following occurs:

(a) The same defect or condition continues to exist even though the car has been subjected to repair a total of four or more times within two years of the date of the first attempt to repair the defect or condition.

(b) The vehicle is out of service because of repairs for a total of 30 or more days or parts of days during the term of the manufacturer's express warranty or within one year from the date of delivery to the original consumer, whichever comes first. This option does not require the same problem to be the cause of the days out of service.

So no matter what I think I'm in good footing here. If they put a new trans in it and it works fine for the rest of the time i own the car, no harm no foul I guess. Just pay the payments I had to make while the car was in service + the warranty. Seems fair.