Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Should we just tell people it's a joke? Without context it does sound totally absurd afterall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

I think you should just not post about it.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

I only take special jobs, if you know what I mean.
Bit too late for that. :v:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
To get away from anime thread spoilers talk a little, I found this amusing on a reread. Remember the drill instructor who Sasha tried to bribe with a quarter of half a potato?

His name is Keith Shadith, and he was the scout commander before Erwin. I wonder if he chose to go into training recruits or if he was shunted there after his public breakdown. Either way, the stress must've been pretty extreme for him to lose all his hair in just a few years.

Also:

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
Upon seeing that one guy ask for confirmation from manga readers, I was horribly tempted to post: "The manga isn't over, there are many things still open to speculation, and a lot of the answers we've received don't really make sense without context, or lead to more questions." But you guys are right, it's better to post nothing and just let it be.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Im thinking being a scout is the type of role in that military where there is a no question asked acceptance to switching to a different corp. Kinda like mortuary affairs in ours.

vvv
Its a horrible translation choice by a group. If they did it seriously then they are pretty bad, but they probably did in jest. Its basically Jotun/Titan/Kyojin.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 4, 2013

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Ugh, this is why I always hated manga people. What possible motivation could you have to post something about the manga in the anime thread? Just post it in the manga thread! This happens way too often and ruins the anime for months or even years for the anime-watchers.

I also am in favor of a thread title update. We don't even get a pun or inside joke. :(

What's this "eoten" joke? Did I miss something? It is no Japanese or English word.

edit: About the thread title, to be fair, it literally says "Manga" next to the thread title while the anime one has a more colorful image tag.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 4, 2013

j4on
Jul 6, 2003
I fix computers to pick up chicks.

Daler Mehndi posted:

Upon seeing that one guy ask for confirmation from manga readers, I was horribly tempted to post: "The manga isn't over, there are many things still open to speculation, and a lot of the answers we've received don't really make sense without context, or lead to more questions." But you guys are right, it's better to post nothing and just let it be.

That was so terrible. Even if they don't believe it, the hint will make everything seem really obvious now because there is so much foreshadowing. Some anime-only guy will "figure it out" and spoil the thread again later with correct speculation. Worst spoiler ever.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Shadow0 posted:

What's this "eoten" joke? Did I miss something? It is no Japanese or English word.
Some of the fansubs for the anime use it for the word "Kyojin". Because it's Germanic in origin and the setting references German stuff.

Even though the official localization from Kodansha USA of the manga has "Kyojin" written out as "Titan".

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

AradoBalanga posted:

Some of the fansubs for the anime use it for the word "Kyojin". Because it's Germanic in origin and the setting references German stuff.

Even though the official localization from Kodansha USA of the manga has "Kyojin" written out as "Titan".

I thought someone pointed out that eoten is not actually German but in fact old English, while the actual Germanic spelling of it would be slightly different.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012
I'm thinking about posting this in the animé thread. Should I? or has the damage already been done and we should all just drop this and agree to remain silent in the future?

::

Me posted:

Davincie posted:

So can a manga person come in to confirm that he is a dumbass or what? Or would that spoil even more by confirming it :shrug:

The agreement we've come to in the manga thread is not to comment on any spoilers that are posted from now on, regardless of if there's any truth in them because doing so will likely unintentionally lead to more. So just keep watching the show so that we can keep pointing and laughing at how right/wrong your speculation is.

At the very least I think we need something that makes it clear that that best way for manga readers to deal with spoilers being posted is not to talk about them, and make the animé watchers aware that our silence is not confirmation or denial in and of itself.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

AnonSpore posted:

I thought someone pointed out that eoten is not actually German but in fact old English, while the actual Germanic spelling of it would be slightly different.

It's not German, the German word for titan is just "(der) Titan" or "(der) Titane".

Sorry Corals
Jan 2, 2010

Pensive posted:

I'm thinking about posting this in the animé thread. Should I? or has the damage already been done and we should all just drop this and agree to remain silent in the future?

Just drop it totally. Maybe when the time comes for that reveal the anime-only posters will play along like it didn't happen and post :stare: a lot, for our sake.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I think what's been posted so far has been enough. Zorak's edited the post, so it's all done.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Reading that post was like reading the Red Wedding from Game of Thrones for the first time; you're just reading along and your mind isn't quite willing to fully process that yes, this is actually happening until you've already reached the point of no return.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Seconding the request for a thread title change. I read both threads but I'm extra extra careful to check which one I'm in before replying to either of them because they're so similar and I don't want to ruin that Dumbledore is secretly the titan that ate Eren's mother or something.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Attack on Titan: Sasha kills Dumbledore

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

RatHat posted:

Attack on Titan: Sasha kills Dumbledore

Sasha eats Dumbledore

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Soulcleaver posted:

Seconding the request for a thread title change. I read both threads but I'm extra extra careful to check which one I'm in before replying to either of them because they're so similar and I don't want to ruin that Dumbledore is secretly the titan that ate Eren's mother or something.

Could literally just swap the current title around and it'd probably be easier to tell apart, since then they wouldn't both start with "Attack on Titan!"

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I missed all the drama. What were they posting in the anime thread?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Dr_Amazing posted:

That Reiner revealed his and Bert's titan identities to Eren.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Some dude just rolled right up to the thread and went "Oh wow guys, it totally blew my mind the way that Reiner and Bertolt were revealed as the armored and colossal titans, that's so cool, don't you all agree?"

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Dr_Amazing posted:

Some dumbass posted about Bert and Ernie reminding him of psilons [sic] in BSG.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Holy poo poo, I didn't realize the drill instructor was the former scouting corps commander. Where/when was it revealed?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Holy poo poo, I didn't realize the drill instructor was the former scouting corps commander. Where/when was it revealed?
Yea I totally missed the connection in the anime as well. Maybe when this gets an English dub the voice actor will be distinctive enough to notice.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
It will be revealed that though a "Listen All You Zombies" time loop that Eren is every human and every titan. His oldest incarnation is the bearded Linux titan who eats the "Eren" human form, starting the cycle again. The only way to stop it is to realize that the previous sentences are complete poo poo and anything Isayama writes will probably be pretty rad. The next issue gonna own so hard... :ohdear:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

It's not revealed so much as inferred. If you look at this page, Erwin, the current commander, is clearly in the scouts at the time, but on the next page the one giving the orders is Shadith, and in fact he has the authority to give orders to all the teams currently present. Also, when they come back to the city, he takes personal responsibility for the deaths during the excursion.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 4, 2013

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."
I'm not too convinced that it's Shadis. Maybe just a similar design.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Paracelsus posted:

Reading that post was like reading the Red Wedding from Game of Thrones for the first time; you're just reading along and your mind isn't quite willing to fully process that yes, this is actually happening until you've already reached the point of no return.

So basically just like how the reveal happens in the manga? :haw:

:smith:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

AnonSpore posted:

It's not revealed so much as inferred. If you look at this page, Erwin, the current commander, is clearly in the scouts at the time, but on the next page the one giving the orders is Shadith, and in fact he has the authority to give orders to all the teams currently present. Also, when they come back to the city, he takes personal responsibility for the deaths during the excursion.

Oh, I don't doubt that the dude who came back from the failed expedition was the commander, I just didn't make the connect that it was Keith until you said so. Wikipedia says its him, too, so I don't really see any reason to doubt what you said.

I'm liking this revelation quite a lot. Gives him a lot more depth.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Jackard posted:

Just rename this thread back to Shingeki no Kyojin and keep Attack on Titan for the anime thread.

why was this one changed in the first place, none of the translators or mangareaders call it Attack on Titan

The translation that's in stores calls it Attack on Titan.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
Actually when it was revealed that Bert and Ernie were the two titans (before they actually transformed) I was like, wait, what did he say, and re read it like 3 times thinking it was a joke or something. Then they did transform into the Titans and I was like ok this is happening I guess.

Which was basically exactly what happened with the Red Wedding in Game of Thrones when I read it.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

The translation that's in stores calls it Attack on Titan.
Attack on Viewers

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

goldjas posted:

Actually when it was revealed that Bert and Ernie were the two titans (before they actually transformed) I was like, wait, what did he say, and re read it like 3 times thinking it was a joke or something. Then they did transform into the Titans and I was like ok this is happening I guess.

Which was basically exactly what happened with the Red Wedding in Game of Thrones when I read it.

Same here. It was just said so nonchalantly during a more important conversation. Like a simple "Oh by the way" deal. Really seemed to lack the kind of punch you'd expect that sort of news to have.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
Yeah looking at it they literally state it on the left side of a panel in smaller word balloons while the "important conversation" between other characters is going on. I don't know if that's genius or...something.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It was brilliant. It managed to make you experience the bombshell in exactly the same way Eren does, which is a pretty clever feat in a manga.

Scruffy the janitor
Dec 31, 2007

A greater tragedy my eyes have never beheld
Since we're on this subject, I'm wondering how they'd do it if they did a second anime season. Was there another conversation going on at the same time? Then you'd have one conversation up top (Eren, Reiner, Bert) and one at the bottom between whoever as the main focus. I actually think that would work at least as well as the manga version.

I'm thinking in terms of subs, anyway.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I just read through this whole thing in one day, and it was worth every page for INTENSE RATION EATING.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Scruffy the janitor posted:

Since we're on this subject, I'm wondering how they'd do it if they did a second anime season. Was there another conversation going on at the same time? Then you'd have one conversation up top (Eren, Reiner, Bert) and one at the bottom between whoever as the main focus. I actually think that would work at least as well as the manga version.

I'm thinking in terms of subs, anyway.
Yeah, I've been wondering how they'd handle it in the anime. I can't see it working so well when you've got actual voices talking over each other instead of speech balloons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
You could have Reiner giving Eren the news, cut to two/three lines of dialogue from the "main" conversation, then cut back to Eren's reaction. Or cut to the others after Reiner's first line, then just show Eren reacting incredulously in the background, even if we can't make out what he's saying.

To change the subject slightly, what do you all make of this screenshot?

I remember it being presented the same way in the manga. For some reason, the way the titans are juxtaposed reminds me a of mother and father. Possibly there's some theme I'm failing to detect here.