Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
That setup is hella goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rsjr
Nov 2, 2002

yay for protoss being so simple that retards can win with it
You guys play a lot of WoW together?

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

rsjr posted:

You guys play a lot of WoW together?

Most people typically don't spend $800 on "cockpits" if they just plan to play WoW. I think I see a few joysticks in one of the photos so hopefully they are at least playing some racing/flight sim's.

Also, how in the world can that company justify $800 for those "cockpits"? That's almost as bad as that $900+ GeekDesk(the one that raises/lowers itself) which basically consists of a $100 table and a $100 motor.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

100% Dundee posted:

Also, how in the world can that company justify $800 for those "cockpits"? That's almost as bad as that $900+ GeekDesk(the one that raises/lowers itself) which basically consists of a $100 table and a $100 motor.
The GeekDesk's awesome. (It's the desk in the pic I posted 2 pages ago) A bit wobbly, but nothing heinous. They can get away with the high price because the competition's even more expensive.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

100% Dundee posted:

Most people typically don't spend $800 on "cockpits" if they just plan to play WoW. I think I see a few joysticks in one of the photos so hopefully they are at least playing some racing/flight sim's.

I don't see them selling motorized standing desks at Staples.

kersonan
Feb 11, 2007
Heh its worse than you think, by the time you add the (extra cost) side tables and the (extra cost) triple monitor kit the price has crept up over 1k NZD. Do I think that's good value?, well yes and no. the things weigh a ton so shipping them down here cant have been cheap. place I brought em from has to make some coin on it. Meh I would have spent the money on crack anyways....

took me over 8 hours to assemble them both and man are they over engineered, solid as a rock. not moving no matter what.

Yes there are joysticks pictured but I'm no hard core flight sim nut, I play War thunder, World of tanks, BF3 etc and the wife and I are into co-op fps games, we don't really MMO much anymore.

I use mine for day to day computer use as well as gaming and I wouldn't go back to a normal desk now. reclining seat ftw

And if you don't like the seat that comes with it, the base takes a standard car seat bolt pattern so you can rock on down to the wreckers yard and grab which ever seat you like and just bolt it on.

Happy to put up some more pics if you guys want to see how its put together and how thick the tube steel and so on is.

cmdrpinky
Oct 1, 2003

Eurocom monster hooked up to two dell 23" ultrasharps.

Desk is a leftover scavenged from my families basement as is the card table. (kinda goony, i'll admit) looking at upgrading to one of those ikea corner desks in the future.

Got lucky with the aeron, my old work was replacing all of their office furniture, so I snagged that guy for free.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

cmdrpinky posted:

Eurocom monster hooked up to two dell 23" ultrasharps.

Desk is a leftover scavenged from my families basement as is the card table. (kinda goony, i'll admit) looking at upgrading to one of those ikea corner desks in the future.

Got lucky with the aeron, my old work was replacing all of their office furniture, so I snagged that guy for free.

Those A2's and that Aeron deserve a nicer looking desk bro. :colbert:

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

100% Dundee posted:

Remind me how much Aeron's cost?

dema
Aug 13, 2006

New desk to replace the rickety old particle board thing I was using before. 8 ft long, 170 lbs, solid maple top, steel legs, adjustable height workbench. Rock solid. Zero movement.

Got a 30" LCD, 15" laptop, printer, speakers and plenty of desk space left over for writing, eating, whatever.

It's rad.

gregday
May 23, 2003

dema posted:

New desk to replace the rickety old particle board thing I was using before. 8 ft long, 170 lbs, solid maple top, steel legs, adjustable height workbench. Rock solid. Zero movement.

Got a 30" LCD, 15" laptop, printer, speakers and plenty of desk space left over for writing, eating, whatever.

It's rad.

That's beautiful. Custom made or did you bought it whole somewhere?

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Thanks, got it from Amazon. Gladiator 8-Feet Adjustable Height Maple Work Bench.

And yeah, I'm sure a handy person could put together something roughly equivalent at half the price.

dema fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 23, 2013

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

dema posted:

It's rad.

Ahhhh I have a university surplus maple slat workbench sitting in my garage just waiting for a refinish. This makes it look so beautiful. I'm thinking about the same sort of finish for the top (and bottom), except that the sides will be black.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

dema posted:

It's rad.

What kind of chair is that? I'm in the market for a new desk chair and that one is exactly what I'm looking for.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

What kind of chair is that? I'm in the market for a new desk chair and that one is exactly what I'm looking for.

I used to own one of those chairs, that is an older version of Wal-mart's cheapest chair with arms, closest thing you can get now is:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Flash-Furniture-Mid-Back-Fabric-Task-Chair-with-Nylon-Arms/17276924

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Yeah, just a cheap leather office chair I got from Costco a few years ago. Works great for me.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Dema's life is essentially perfect, as we all already know.

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff

dema posted:

It's rad.

It's rad indeed and that is the desk I'd like to marry if it also came with the tree on the other side of your window.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
For those of you who got Galant desks: How big are the boxes? Would I be able to fit one of their L modulars in the back of my car or am I going to have to beat someone up to get their truck?

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Gothmog1065 posted:

For those of you who got Galant desks: How big are the boxes? Would I be able to fit one of their L modulars in the back of my car or am I going to have to beat someone up to get their truck?

Well, I managed to shove one into the trunk of my Kia Spectra many years ago. It wasn't completely in the trunk, and had a good foot or so of the thin part of the L hanging out, but it worked.

I'd say if you're driving anything of reasonable size and don't have an issue with it not fitting in there 100%, you could.

Edit: the packaging is not any bigger than the item for the desk tops.

leedo
Nov 28, 2000

Living like poo poo

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Gothmog1065 posted:

The biggest boxes are almost exactly as big as the large desk pieces, and that's it.

They also have package measurements online, so you can know exactly how big the packages will be.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
So the Herman Miller 15% Semi-Annual Sale started today, and I was planning on picking up an Embody in my ongoing effort to de-Ikea my home now that I have a real job. However, I was curious if anybody had any experience with the Flo monitor arm system HM sells: http://store.hermanmiller.com/Products/Flo-Monitor-Support

They are set up to go with the Embody, so I assume they will be better than other options, even more expensive ones by whatever that other company is. I have a 30" S-IPS or whatever it is monitor that I plan to mount on it. Any tips?

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Damnit. Want a red Eames Aluminum Group Executive Chair. Bummed I don't have the cash laying around for it.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

dema posted:

Damnit. Want a red Eames Aluminum Group Executive Chair.
for looking at or sitting in? because in my experience, it's only good for one of those things.

currently ordering an Envelop and a lounge from DWI. :unsmigghh:

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

TenementFunster posted:

They are set up to go with the Embody, so I assume they will be better than other options, even more expensive ones by whatever that other company is. I have a 30" S-IPS or whatever it is monitor that I plan to mount on it. Any tips?

Under the specs it says that mount is only good up to 20 lbs or roughly a 24inch monitor. I would suggest you weigh your monitor or at least check the spec sheet of it to see if you're even in that ballpark before you spend your money.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

100% Dundee posted:

Under the specs it says that mount is only good up to 20 lbs or roughly a 24inch monitor. I would suggest you weigh your monitor or at least check the spec sheet of it to see if you're even in that ballpark before you spend your money.
whoops. thanks for being able to read, as I am apparently unable to perform basic comprehension tasks. I have one of those Samsung quasi-IPS monitors, which I am told is lighter than normal, but I'll check the specs
weight.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Everyone who is concerned with getting the perfect Chair/table/monitor mounts/etc... your prayers are answered with one device to rule them all.

http://www.mwelab.com/index.php/en/products

The only issue I can see is having to put up with lovely BOSE speakers in otherwise premium products.

I want one of these so badly...

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
yes.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Apparently the Ergotron LX is less expensive than I thought, so I think I might be better off with that over the Flo. Any thoughts?

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

Everyone who is concerned with getting the perfect Chair/table/monitor mounts/etc... your prayers are answered with one device to rule them all.

The only issue I can see is having to put up with lovely BOSE speakers in otherwise premium products.

I think I've seen that before...

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Climbed on top of my arm chair to get a top down shot :haw:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Enjoy watching children on the playground all day? :pedo:

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

How did I not see that coming. :manning:

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000

Gothmog1065 posted:

I had to balance the desktop out the back of the trunk, I've got a Civic, so the trunk is deep but not very wide.

Protip: Ikea gets tons of returns on the Galant desktops, but not the frames. Check the clearance section (especially on Mondays when they put all their returned merchandise out on the floor) I got the top for :10bux: and just made a different frame out of wood.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
Been a while since I upgraded. I'd say 90% of this setup is scavenge. Still can't figure out how to use a camera.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

The Lord Bude posted:

I will have a cheap, shoddy imitation of this goon throne one day when I move out of my parent's basement.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Coredump posted:

I will have a cheap, shoddy imitation of this goon throne one day when I move out of my parent's basement.

You should get a real desk and either a real chair or a standing mat. That sick-rear end posting station may seem cool now, but anything looks cool in comparison to living in your parents' basement. There's a whole world out there and the key to that world is leaving a part of your inner goonlord at mom and dad's house.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

MancXVI posted:

You should get a real desk and either a real chair or a standing mat. That sick-rear end posting station may seem cool now, but anything looks cool in comparison to living in your parents' basement. There's a whole world out there and the key to that world is leaving a part of your inner goonlord at mom and dad's house.

gently caress comfort, you want what is socially acceptable to all those who shall look at your setup! Remember to post pictures so we can coach you on what is and isn't good. You know all those cheap poor people with Ikea Galants? Yeah don't be a loser baby child with baby furniture like them, get yourself a custom built live edge desk. Sure it might cost thousands but really you wouldn't want people to think your a child right? Also you drat well better have a Embody or better or you will be mocked!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

The Lord Bude posted:

I'm sure there's a basement-dwelling goon in all of us that thinks that desk is totally super rad, but I cannot fathom even in the darkest depths of my imagination how embarrassing it would be if I had one and any non-goon learned of its existence in my home.

I couldn't mentally legitimize that thing if I walked into the office of a Fortune 500 CEO and saw one in the corner.

It's like the ceramic dragon-and-wizard statue of desks.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 5, 2013