Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Petey posted:

(sorry for tripleposting)

Guess who gave $3,000 to the Richard Family Fund?

Uncle Ruslan.

Wow, what a guy.

It's too bad the rest of this guy's family is estranged from him. Things could have gone a lot differently if the two brothers had actually listened to their uncle instead of taking the path they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It's the whole empathy vs sympathy situation again. Is it sad that a seemingly normal kid was pulled into a life so hosed up? Yeah, definitely. I wish he would have gone in a better more peaceful direction in his life. That doesn't make anything okay though. You have to be held responsible for your actions regardless of how sad your story is. It has to be very, very clear that there are no excuses for bombing innocent people or doing similar acts in the name of anything. So many other good people deserve that too often misplaced sympathy.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

demonachizer posted:

Whenever someone says things like his brother pushed him into it etc. I like to point out that he knowingly and willingly set a bomb feet away from a family including their two young children. He had choices left to himself from start to finish and he chose to murder children knowingly.

That's even ignoring that one photo of him with the bag behind the kid.

ashgromnies posted:

Not to mention that his brother got killed... in a shoot out with the police... and people all around the world were watching this happen.

How stupid can he be that he thinks anyone will believe he's innocent? He's delusional. He probably only now realizes the consequences of his actions and is making GBS threads his pants. What a douche.

Been a few weeks since I last checked, but is the evidence still that he ran over his brother?

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 31, 2013

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Handsome Ralph posted:

Things could have gone a lot differently if the two brothers had actually listened to their uncle instead of taking the path they did.

The path of: BEING LOSERS!

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
Speaking of which, Tamerlan Tsarnaev was an rear end in a top hat at the gym before the Boston bombing and Dzhokhar couldn't keep his pants up.

quote:

Tamerlan Tsarnaev trained at Wai Kru several times a month, for free, as a professional courtesy to the nationally ranked Golden Gloves boxer. His younger brother Dzhokhar rarely came, showing up just "two or three times" in roughly two years, Michael said.

"We've seen with Western militants, wanna-be jihadists, a real emphasis on physical training, physical fitness, wanting to be prepared for jihad," Cruickshank said.

In surveillance video recorded at Wai Kru and obtained by CNN, the manager -- who was off-camera -- asked the brothers to take off their shoes, as stated on the gym's posted rules.
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, complies right away. Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26, refuses to take off his shoes and argues instead.

The manager later e-mailed the owner asking him to ban Tamerlan Tsarnaev, saying he's arrogant, selfish and never helps anyone else. But the argument at the the gym that day didn't seem to faze Tamerlan Tsarnaev, who was the first to enter the ring. His years of training were evident as he skillfully handled the jump rope.

His younger brother seemed to have more difficulty and less stamina as he struggled to hold up his oversized shorts.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/31/justice/boston-brothers-gym/index.html

The video is kind of amusing. I'm all for showing these two as the selfish dicks and embarrassingly inept loving clowns they are\were, instead of Glorious Islamic Martyrs.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The NOVA episode about how technology made the Boston bomber manhunt possible is up for streaming now.

I haven't watched it yet but I'm planning when I wake up. It looks pretty interesting, and I didn't get to see it when it aired.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

For something positive: I was helping a friend move into an apartment in Jamaica Plain, and one of her new roommates is training for the marathon next year - something she otherwise wouldn't have done if not for the bombings. (and based on my first impression of her, she seems to be someone who follows through) Is anyone else doing this, or know similar people? Is the marathon going to be HUGE next year?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Presumably a little bit more runners, a ton of more audience and millions of reporters and security.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

You have to qualify for the Boston Marathon by getting a fast time in another marathon first. And if too many people qualify for the number of spots, they take the fastest first. I think it is going to be very hard to get into next years boston marathon.

Baron FU
Apr 3, 2009

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

For something positive: I was helping a friend move into an apartment in Jamaica Plain, and one of her new roommates is training for the marathon next year - something she otherwise wouldn't have done if not for the bombings. (and based on my first impression of her, she seems to be someone who follows through) Is anyone else doing this, or know similar people? Is the marathon going to be HUGE next year?

If she only started training for marathons now she won't be getting in 100%. The qualification requirement for next year is going to be brutal.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Yeah but don't they still let kind of anyone run behind the "real" runners? Like without numbers and stuff?

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

Elendil004 posted:

Yeah but don't they still let kind of anyone run behind the "real" runners? Like without numbers and stuff?

No, you dont want a bunch of slow losers spending 12 hours doing a marathon. The last half marathon I was at had a bus that picked up all the slow runners after 3 hours.
Dont get me wrong you can run the course whatever but expect to end up in the back of an ambulance after getting hit by a car when the roads have been reopened.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Limp Wristed Limey posted:

No, you dont want a bunch of slow losers spending 12 hours doing a marathon. The last half marathon I was at had a bus that picked up all the slow runners after 3 hours.
Dont get me wrong you can run the course whatever but expect to end up in the back of an ambulance after getting hit by a car when the roads have been reopened.

yeah but there are people who can keep a pace to finish before reopening who don't run with numbers, right? I mean there used to be.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

Elendil004 posted:

yeah but there are people who can keep a pace to finish before reopening who don't run with numbers, right? I mean there used to be.

I have not been to a half marathon or marathon where the runners did not have numbers. You dont want people running without any identification on them or having stumped up the cash to be able to run in the race.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.
If this is like most other marathons, I am pretty sure there is a second set of people at the end who run for charities and that sort of thing. And I believe they have a later starting time. I am pretty sure most of the charity runners were the people who were crossing the finish line when the bombs went off. Which means most of the people in the crowd were there for charity runners. Which makes the timing of the bombings that much more insidious if you think about it.

Those spots are typically limited as well. Otherwise there would just be too many entries and the marathon would last for days instead for a few hours.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
They're not only limited, you need to raise thousands of dollars for charity, you can't just say "I'm running for cancer," and get in.

Harry Joe
Jan 15, 2006
My name be neither Harry, nor Joe, but Harry Joe shall do

xie posted:

They're not only limited, you need to raise thousands of dollars for charity, you can't just say "I'm running for cancer," and get in.

I sure hope not, no one should support those jerks who run for cancer

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
AFAIK there are three ways to run for the Boston marathon:

1) qualify based on time (lol)
2) raise many thousands of dollars, get a sponsored ticket
3) bandit (just join in and start running, but you don't have a number or access to the support infrastructure outside dire medical emergency response)

However, I wouldn't be surprised if they did something next year to help accommodate the people who might want to run.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Petey posted:

3) bandit (just join in and start running, but you don't have a number or access to the support infrastructure outside dire medical emergency response)

However, I wouldn't be surprised if they did something next year to help accommodate the people who might want to run.

Hopefully they don't preemptively taser anyone running without identification, or shoot them with rubber bullets.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Jack Gladney posted:

Hopefully they preemptively taser anyone running without identification, or shoot them with rubber bullets.

Fixed that for you. Next year's marathon could prove to be quite entertaining indeed.

edit: It's a joke.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
Also the "bandit" runners are generally frowned upon because they are taking limited resources (water, towels, etc) from people who legitimately qualified. It sounds snobby at first but when you think about it, running without qualifications is totally rude...
It's running. You can literally do it anywhere anytime as long as you're outside and not on the freeway. Why go out of your way to get in the way of a serious sporting event? Would you start playing baseball in Fenway during a Sox games?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Not just legitimately qualified, legitimately paid a decent amount of money that usually goes to charities.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
Bandit runners have a tradition in Boston unlike other marathons. As little as 10 years ago they were mostly tolerated but nobody wants to officially acknowledge them. In the last few years they have cracked down a lot and I don't think it's realistic to bandit the course now unless you're skipping large parts of it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Petey posted:

This is true.

I had 3 friends running in it who got in on fundraising. It's somewhere right around $5k USD sponsored to get a ticket.

Huttan
May 15, 2013

Limp Wristed Limey posted:

The last half marathon I was at had a bus that picked up all the slow runners after 3 hours.

In bike racing, that was called the "sag wagon" and it followed the race to collect stragglers and folks whose bike broke down and they couldn't fix it in time.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It would be nice if they had some option for people who want to show support for the Marathon, but have no chance of qualifying. Normally that would be some shorter distance race, but since the Boston course is one way 26.2 miles, it's not very easy to chop it up like you can do with a loop.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

hitension posted:

Also the "bandit" runners are generally frowned upon because they are taking limited resources (water, towels, etc) from people who legitimately qualified. It sounds snobby at first but when you think about it, running without qualifications is totally rude...
It's running. You can literally do it anywhere anytime as long as you're outside and not on the freeway. Why go out of your way to get in the way of a serious sporting event? Would you start playing baseball in Fenway during a Sox games?

Your argument applies against marathons in general.

CatsOnTheInternet
Apr 24, 2013

BEEEEAAOOOORRRRRRRW BEEEBEAAAAAOOOORRWW

Godholio posted:

It's an argument which - up until this year, obviously - a lot of people made against the Boston Marathon itself. It forces a bunch of office closures in the middle of a typical work-week, and not that many people watch it.

Things will be different next year I'm sure.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

CatsOnTheInternet posted:

It's an argument which - up until this year, obviously - a lot of people made against the Boston Marathon itself. It forces a bunch of office closures in the middle of a typical work-week, and not that many people watch it.

Things will be different next year I'm sure.

Semantics, but it's not the "middle" of the work week, is it? My understanding is it's always on Patriots Day, which falls on Monday. So it's a 3-day weekend.

CatsOnTheInternet
Apr 24, 2013

Retail Slave posted:

Semantics, but it's not the "middle" of the work week, is it? My understanding is it's always on Patriots Day, which falls on Monday. So it's a 3-day weekend.

Schools and state offices are closed, sure. But quite a few (if not the majority of) Boston-area businesses are open on Patriot's Day - unless they're located along Boylston in which case they don't really have a choice. Marathon Monday is usually one of the worst commutes of the year.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Schools and state offices are closed, sure. But quite a few (if not the majority of) Boston-area businesses are open on Patriot's Day - unless they're located along Boylston in which case they don't really have a choice. Marathon Monday is usually one of the worst commutes of the year.

Coming from West of Boston traffic is never bad. It only is affected right around the route.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

So as fallout from the fire department's response to the bombing and the fire chief's lack of response (and overall not being liked by his deputies), the chief of the Boston Fire Department is resigning

http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/201...lNjI/story.html

Also, people are still scared shitless around unmanned pressure cookers

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/06/03/abandoned-pressure-cooker-leads-to-evacuation-of-saugus-mall/

Nov 7, 2012
I give terrible advice in E/N and post nothing worth anybody's time.

i might be a social cripple irl

Godholio posted:

Only in the most pedantic way possible. People running outside by themselves doesn't tend to bring in 10M + per year in charity.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

312 posted:

Only in the most pedantic way possible. People running outside by themselves doesn't tend to bring in 10M + per year in charity.

Yeah, but lost productivity might run $10 million.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Eh, a bad storm causes just as much lost productivity and no money for charity.

CatsOnTheInternet
Apr 24, 2013

smackfu posted:

Eh, a bad storm causes just as much lost productivity and no money for charity.

A bad storm doesn't consciously choose to roam through a major economic hub every year on a weekday.

I enjoy the marathon, but it does annoy the bejeezus out of people who have to go to work on that day.

demonachizer posted:

Coming from West of Boston traffic is never bad. It only is affected right around the route.

Which is to say, almost every highway south of Boston. (495, 95, 93... oh, and it crosses Route 9.)

The pike's different, sure, but not exemplary of the traffic

CatsOnTheInternet fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jun 4, 2013

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

The pike's different, sure, but not exemplary of the traffic

Yeah, this. I live on Rt. 9 in Framingham, whole town south of me (with the exception of main routes to the Hospital via Union Ave and Rt 126/Concord St) pretty much shuts down for the marathon. I work at the Trader Joe's on Rt. 9 and because we're so slow on Marathon Monday I can easily get the day off. I did this year and I would have been on the route cheering the runners on at 135 and 126 if I hadn't been feeling like poo poo that day.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

Kilonum posted:

Yeah, this. I live on Rt. 9 in Framingham, whole town south of me (with the exception of main routes to the Hospital via Union Ave and Rt 126/Concord St) pretty much shuts down for the marathon. I work at the Trader Joe's on Rt. 9 and because we're so slow on Marathon Monday I can easily get the day off. I did this year and I would have been on the route cheering the runners on at 135 and 126 if I hadn't been feeling like poo poo that day.

I'm sure sales in the week before and after the marathon more than make up for a slow marathon Monday with the extra 25,000 people coming to town for no other reason than the marathon. Your hotels are also stupid expensive that weekend -- my bill was $900 for 3 nights which is low for anything in the city. It's not even a question: Boston sees a massive economic benefit from the marathon.

CatsOnTheInternet
Apr 24, 2013

Andy Dufresne posted:

I'm sure sales in the week before and after the marathon more than make up for a slow marathon Monday with the extra 25,000 people coming to town for no other reason than the marathon. Your hotels are also stupid expensive that weekend -- my bill was $900 for 3 nights which is low for anything in the city. It's not even a question: Boston sees a massive economic benefit from the marathon.

I'm not sure if you've noticed but Boston isn't Orlando.

Tourism is a piece of the Boston economy just like any other city, but disrupting other industries to boost it doesn't necessarily equate to economic boon. Especially when said industries account for a much bigger piece of the state's GDP pie than hospitality and retail.

CatsOnTheInternet fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

I'm not sure if you've noticed but Boston isn't Orlando.

Tourism is a piece of the Boston economy just like any other city, but disrupting other industries to boost it doesn't necessarily equate to economic boon. Especially when said industries account for a much bigger piece of the state's GDP pie than hospitality and retail.

What industries are being disrupted by the marathon? White collar businesses are closed that day, retail and restaurants see a huge increase in traffic, and the industrial areas east of Boston (i.e. near the port) are completely unaffected.

I'll also add that the people of Boston, however they may be the other 51 weeks of the year, are the most kind and accommodating people the weekend of the race. The city has a great reputation for how well they treat the tourists which kind of implies to me that there's not a lot of disruption.

Andy Dufresne fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 4, 2013

• Locked thread