Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steinuh
Nov 17, 2011

Are the Monster Hunter codes for EU players only or can NA players use them too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Much like everything else, they should be region-locked. So, EU-only.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
It's odd, I haven't been following development or hype for Animal Crossing at all, and could have gone either way with playing it, but today after checking my swapnotes and reading some tweets it physically hurts me that I can't play it right now :saddowns:

Steinuh
Nov 17, 2011

Gotta love region locks. Thanks a lot Nintendo:japan:

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
On the topic on that Monster Hunter promotion, I just realised that I never registered my 3DS on Club Nintendo so if anyone has one of those recommendation codes and wants to PM me it then I will be your best friend forever.

InspectorCarbonara fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 4, 2013

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Is that MH3U promotion UK only? I'Ve got a club nintendo account but it's a german one. Can't login on that UK site.

Edit: NM it's on the german page too.

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 4, 2013

monkeyboydc
Dec 3, 2007

Unfortunately, we had to kut the English budget at the Ivalice Magick Ackcademy.
Does anyone have experience with one of those custom skin places that they'd recommend? I wanted to get my fiance one with Geno on it, though that may be difficult when taking copyright stuff into consideration.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Oh wow, Project X Zone is all kinds of confusing. I just do the commands and everyone starts flipping out, and then you hit the supports/solo button and somehow that recharges my regular attacks while everyone goes nuts on the enemy. I feel like maybe that pre-demo tutorial should have been a tad more in depth on how you fight, but it sure looks flashy as all hell when like 5 characters are on screen at once beating the hell out of a guy.

Jawidar
Feb 17, 2007
Just traded my 3DS for an XL and would love a copy of MH3 to break it in with, if anyone has a code going spare :3:

jawidar@gmail.com

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Sticker Star was by an entirely different team you know. Even if you didn't like it, it's quality has absolutely nothing to do with how Dream Team will turn out. The Superstar games have always been distinct from the Paper games.

Completely aware, and I will probably still get Dream Team shortly after release if it is remotely near Inside Story in character and keeps the mechanics of the rest of the series. I'm just illustrating that as someone who has pre-ordered the entire Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi lines, I no longer automatically assume they will be good because Sticker Star was that bad.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
So reviews are pouring in for Animal Crossing: New Leaf, and surprise they're all very positive! I for one cannot wait to get my hands on it.

Is there going to be a thread for it? Or is there one already and it's tagged weird?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

^^^^
there's already a thread

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3546866

Can I just say how loving stupid it is to limit how many times you can launch a demo? I guess it wasn't that bad with the Fire Emblem demo since it had 30 uses, but the project x zone has 5.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Catastrophe! I booted up my 3DS this morning after getting back from a trip and the fucker is bricked.

It's throwing out the black screen "an error has occurred, turn off the system and turn it on again" about 5-10 seconds after it turns on.

I already have a repair order in with Ninty. ($100 repair. Thanks, guys!)

I picked a good time to get an XL. On Sunday. While my system will be in for repairs. :suicide:

Question. I'm getting the Animal Crossing bundle. If I go and play the game when I get it, will that save get wiped when I do a system transfer after I get my old 3DS back?

If so, waiting those 1-2 weeks with the new system in hand is going to be AGONIZING. drat it, Nintendo. 25 years of buying your systems and I never have a lick of trouble with them until this 3DS. What has happened to you?!

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Oh wow, Project X Zone is all kinds of confusing. I just do the commands and everyone starts flipping out, and then you hit the supports/solo button and somehow that recharges my regular attacks while everyone goes nuts on the enemy. I feel like maybe that pre-demo tutorial should have been a tad more in depth on how you fight, but it sure looks flashy as all hell when like 5 characters are on screen at once beating the hell out of a guy.

If you hit X twice while controlling a character (so not in free look) and select database -> tutorial, there's a huge and ridiculously in-depth manual that explains exactly how everything in the game works.

Jawidar
Feb 17, 2007
Man, AciddTripp very kindly passed along his MH3 recommendation code, but apparently I registered my XL two days too early to qualify :rolleyes:. That's what I get for not reading the fine-print.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Doc V posted:

If you hit X twice while controlling a character (so not in free look) and select database -> tutorial, there's a huge and ridiculously in-depth manual that explains exactly how everything in the game works.

Oh, right! I managed to figure most of the game out just through trial and error but this should help with stuff like Cross. Thanks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

zerox147o posted:

Completely aware, and I will probably still get Dream Team shortly after release if it is remotely near Inside Story in character and keeps the mechanics of the rest of the series. I'm just illustrating that as someone who has pre-ordered the entire Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi lines, I no longer automatically assume they will be good because Sticker Star was that bad.

If you say so. It really makes no sense because they're not even the same line. It's like saying "I'm never preordering Smash Brothers again because Mario Golf was awful!" They're closer than those two games but not the same franchise at all aside from having Mario and being RPGs. (It's kinda amazing that Mario sustains two separate RPG lines but so it goes.)

Sticker Star was at worst boring. I can't imagine why anyone would be so vitriolic towards it that they would judge completely unrelated (aside from mascot-branding) games because of it, it isn't like it is Sonic 2006 or something.

You do what you do but it'd be more sensible to be paranoid about it after Partners in Time, not Sticker Star. v:shobon:v

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 4, 2013

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Silver Falcon posted:

You can switch off the wireless if you really want, but I just took mine on a plane this past week (twice, 4 planes total) and didn't bother. I didn't even turn it all the way off when they said "switch off all approved electronic devices... blah blah." I just put it in sleep mode. The plane didn't crash or anything. I also got 4 Streetpasses so yay?

So long as it's an FCC approved device it's really not an issue anymore. The only reason those restrictions still exist is to ensure they have people's (relatively) undivided attention during takeoff and landing, when flight issues are most likely to occur. :ssh:

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Silver Falcon posted:

drat it, Nintendo. 25 years of buying your systems and I never have a lick of trouble with them until this 3DS. What has happened to you?!

I felt the same way when the disc reader in my Purple (WHY NINTENDO?!?!) GameCube died and refused to play games. What really bothered me was that it happened within maybe 2 years of buying it. Luckily, Wal-Mart at the time would return almost anything for any reason, without a receipt, especially if you were just going to exchange it. Everything else Nintendo made has lasted forever. My NES still works.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Silver Falcon posted:

Catastrophe! I booted up my 3DS this morning after getting back from a trip and the fucker is bricked.

It's throwing out the black screen "an error has occurred, turn off the system and turn it on again" about 5-10 seconds after it turns on.

I already have a repair order in with Ninty. ($100 repair. Thanks, guys!)

I picked a good time to get an XL. On Sunday. While my system will be in for repairs. :suicide:

Question. I'm getting the Animal Crossing bundle. If I go and play the game when I get it, will that save get wiped when I do a system transfer after I get my old 3DS back?

If so, waiting those 1-2 weeks with the new system in hand is going to be AGONIZING. drat it, Nintendo. 25 years of buying your systems and I never have a lick of trouble with them until this 3DS. What has happened to you?!

I don't understand, why would you want to do a system transfer from the Animal Crossing XL to the 3DS on repair?

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

pandaK posted:

I don't understand, why would you want to do a system transfer from the Animal Crossing XL to the 3DS on repair?

Presumably he's doing a transfer from his old 3DS (With all his non-Animal Crossing content) to the new AC XL, and he's asking if this action will wipe a pre-existing save made on the XL.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

fount of knowledge posted:

Presumably he's doing a transfer from his old 3DS (With all his non-Animal Crossing content) to the new AC XL, and he's asking if this action will wipe a pre-existing save made on the XL.

Ah, well if they answer ever turns out to be yes, what's stopping you from just keeping the files on your 3DS there and continuing on with the XL? Unless you're one of those people who really likes to resell stuff, that is.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Policenaut posted:

Yeah this game is SUPER Japanese. Wut is goin on.

DrManiac posted:

Can I just say how loving stupid it is to limit how many times you can launch a demo? I guess it wasn't that bad with the Fire Emblem demo since it had 30 uses, but the project x zone has 5.

Yeah its moronic. I could see limiting the uses if the demo was like the whole game, because they were too lazy to make a demo.

But... if its already limited to just the first level or two, then who cares if you play it a bunch? :confused:

It bothered me on the 30 use demos, but I realized even after testing out all the weapons I wanted and beating both bosses on the Monster Hunter demo, I still had like 18 times left, so who cares.

But 5 times? That's just dumb. What if I get interrupted right after I start the demo? You can't get new tries by deleting it and redownloading it, can you? If so, that's really dumb. If not, that's even dumber.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah this game is SUPER Japanese. Wut is goin on.

Yeah its moronic. I could see limiting the uses if the demo was like the whole game, because they were too lazy to make a demo.

But... if its already limited to just the first level or two, then who cares if you play it a bunch? :confused:

It bothered me on the 30 use demos, but I realized even after testing out all the weapons I wanted and beating both bosses on the Monster Hunter demo, I still had like 18 times left, so who cares.

But 5 times? That's just dumb. What if I get interrupted right after I start the demo? You can't get new tries by deleting it and redownloading it, can you? If so, that's really dumb. If not, that's even dumber.

You don't lose usages if you close the DS and open it back up later. If you get interrupted you can just do that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also note a second demo is going to come out. Also yes look up the in game manual. I understood how the game worked right off the bat but I can get some other people would not.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

fount of knowledge posted:

Yes, that was the question.

pandaK posted:

Ah, well if they answer ever turns out to be yes, what's stopping you from just keeping the files on your 3DS there and continuing on with the XL? Unless you're one of those people who really likes to resell stuff, that is.

Uh... nothing aside from the convenience of having everything on one system? That's kind of the point of a system transfer, isn't it? Or am I missing some vital detail?

But yes, my problem is my current 3DS is currently in for repairs, and now on Sunday I'll be getting a shiny new 3DS XL that I will want to transfer everything to, and can't, because said system is getting fixed.

I was wondering if I started business on the new XL (Animal Crossing things) if that would be wiped when I did the transfer.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Zaphod42 posted:

You can't get new tries by deleting it and redownloading it, can you? If so, that's really dumb. If not, that's even dumber.

My friend said he used all 30 uses on theatrhythm and could redownload it for 30 more. I deleted the mutant mudds demo after a few uses and redownloaded it later with the same number remaining so it could go either way I guess.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Awesome! posted:

My friend said he used all 30 uses on theatrhythm and could redownload it for 30 more. I deleted the mutant mudds demo after a few uses and redownloaded it later with the same number remaining so it could go either way I guess.

:psyduck: well that seems about right.

How on Earth could somebody play theatrhythm 30 times? Seemed like a crappy Square Enix IP cash in to me. I'm even a big fan of rhythm games, but that couldn't hold a candle to frequency/amplitude.

Also, thankyou goons, as per your suggestion I'll check out Bowser Inside Story. This makes me suddenly realize that there's never been a proper Bowser game, even though loving Wario gets more than a dozen games. What is that all about? I'm pretty excited to be playing as Bowser now.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

How on Earth could somebody play theatrhythm 30 times? Seemed like a crappy Square Enix IP cash in to me. I'm even a big fan of rhythm games, but that couldn't hold a candle to frequency/amplitude.

What? I've run into a good number of 3DS owners both in and outside of these forums who enjoyed playing Theatrhythm. I'm not even that big on rhythm games, and I personally really liked it.

Besides, Final Fantasy APB was the lovely IP cash-in. :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Because it's actually a well-crafted rhythm game. People expected it to be a cheap cash-in but it turned out to be a good game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Also, thankyou goons, as per your suggestion I'll check out Bowser Inside Story. This makes me suddenly realize that there's never been a proper Bowser game, even though loving Wario gets more than a dozen games. What is that all about? I'm pretty excited to be playing as Bowser now.

Playing as Bowser is great because, as people said, he's got his own fully developed combat style that totally contrasts the Bros. Mario and Luigi have to use their agility and coordination to bounce and dodge around smaller enemies, whereas Bowser's average opponent is the size of a Jeep and his completely normal punch attack deals like 5 times the damage of Mario or Luigi's jump. He's all power, all the time.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Playing as Bowser is great because, as people said, he's got his own fully developed combat style that totally contrasts the Bros. Mario and Luigi have to use their agility and coordination to bounce and dodge around smaller enemies, whereas Bowser's average opponent is the size of a Jeep and his completely normal punch attack deals like 5 times the damage of Mario or Luigi's jump. He's all power, all the time.

Honestly Bowser even feels like the main protagonist. He doesn't really have a clue of what's really going on since that's all Mario and Luigi, but he knows what he wants and nothing's gonna stand in his way. It's great.

Plus the block people all admire Bowser and are like who are these mustachioed dudes get out of here losers.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

^^^^ That all sounds totally :krad:

I really liked Bowser in Super Mario RPG, but they played him up for the opposite comedic effect. He acted tough, but was secretly pretty wimpy. That and spoiler? having Bowser and Mario actually team up was super awesome.

Comeon Nintendo, Bowser needs his own game.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Regy Rusty posted:

Honestly Bowser even feels like the main protagonist. He doesn't really have a clue of what's really going on since that's all Mario and Luigi, but he knows what he wants and nothing's gonna stand in his way. It's great.

Plus the block people all admire Bowser and are like who are these mustachioed dudes get out of here losers.

Actually this brings up a good point; in BiS the block dude hated Mario and Luigi for breaking valuable blocks all the time. What's his attitude going to be like in Dream Team? :confused:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Regy Rusty posted:

And he commands an adorable amount of loyalty from his Koopa Corps or whatever he called them. He rescues the Goombas, and they're so thrilled, because now he can set them on fire and hurl them at the enemy. :3:

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Some guy was telling me that he had heard you can play US 3DS games in a Japanese 3DS by filing down the tab. That doesn't sound right. Is it? Are the carts even a different shape? I have a Japanese 3DS only.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Some guy was telling me that he had heard you can play US 3DS games in a Japanese 3DS by filing down the tab. That doesn't sound right. Is it? Are the carts even a different shape? I have a Japanese 3DS only.

No that's incorrect, the region locks at a software level not a physical level

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I feel like Bowser's (Inside) Story was also a little better than Mario and Luigi's. Like, they had multiple objectives of what felt like middling urgency sometimes, but Bowser just had one thing to do: get all his poo poo back.

Anyway I am super hype for Dream Team, maybe even more so now after Sticker Star was so disappointing. Luckily it looks great and good and if it isn't then I will at least be able to find out in the month between Europe and North America getting it. (But on the other hand, one month :smith:)

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Tusen Takk posted:

No that's incorrect, the region locks at a software level not a physical level

I suspected as much. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Eurogamer has a delightfully written review of Animal Crossing. You should read it if you are at all curious about the game.

Some news:

Mighty Switch Force 2 has been confirmed for a North American release next week, June 27th in Europe. Trailer below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM3OUa-T6iM

Also, Target is apparently cutting the price of the standard 3DS down to $140.

• Locked thread