Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

Powdered Toast Man posted:

Does anyone actually use frame relay any more? Surely it's so drat slow at this point that it is no longer useful.

It's very common to have Frame Relay T1's at smaller remote MPLS WAN sites here in the Midwest. I worked for a MSP that sold a ton of Frame Relay T1's still even just last year. The further out a business is from a cities' metro area the more likely it is that their only option is going to be T1's (99% of them delivered via FR).

My current outfit has Frame T1's out at their sales offices (~50 of 'em) - they just install a Cisco WAVE device and it works just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
So it looks like I'll be getting back into the Windows world (not by choice, believe me, ugh), and I am setting up a Server 2012 VM to gently caress with. I'd like to be able to do some meaningful stuff with it, and that means having users, OUs, etc to play with.

This is sort of a weird request, but...has anyone ever seen a script or even just raw data in a CSV that you can use to quickly populate AD with a bunch of users (with real names) that you can then work with? It would be a lot faster than trying to do it by hand.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I ran across this just yesterday, though you will have to tweak it some, and feed it some names to use in the input file: http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/PowerShell-Create-Active-7e6a3978

I'm in the process of dry-run deployment of AD, Exchange, SQL, a pair of clients and some Lync roles (really just as Lync practice) so sometime this week I'll be futzing around with that script as well.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Sat the new ICND1 100-101 today. Not bad. One of the sims' command outputs was inconsistent compared to the rest of the outputs - a glaring error that was obviously not by design - so I got tripped up for a few minutes trying to figure out what the gently caress was going on. Hopefully they do a review cycle soon and catch it.

It was fairly easy for someone who suffered through Odom's new book (admittedly better than the last edition) and supplemented it with CBTNuggets. If you're starting from scratch, I recommend doing the new one. Plus, you're not being rushed to make the September deadline - but then again, some people work best under pressure, so who knows.

Time to start hammering out ICND2.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

This is sort of a weird request, but...has anyone ever seen a script or even just raw data in a CSV that you can use to quickly populate AD with a bunch of users (with real names) that you can then work with? It would be a lot faster than trying to do it by hand.
This guy created a PS script that will import 25k users into AD along with attributes filled from Fake Name Generator.

http://www.wictorwilen.se/how-to-use-powershell-to-populate-active-directory-with-plenty-enough-users-for-sharepoint

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
So I guess I'm terrible at the internet, but I just discovered that Cisco basically lists everything you could possibly want to know about their supported routing protocols on their website, including case studies that may or may not be extraordinarily useful on certain exams.

Although in my defense, Cisco makes it practically impossible to find any of their documentation.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

psydude posted:

So I guess I'm terrible at the internet, but I just discovered that Cisco basically lists everything you could possibly want to know about their supported routing protocols on their website, including case studies that may or may not be extraordinarily useful on certain exams.

Although in my defense, Cisco makes it practically impossible to find any of their documentation.

I always assume that all the good cisco info and tools are always behind a paywall.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Sickening posted:

I always assume that all the good cisco info and tools are always behind a paywall.

Yeah, I had to double check to make sure I wasn't logged into CCO and accessing some super-special information.

e: So that documentation is almost too in-depth for the CCNA, but it's perfect for ROUTE.

psydude fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 4, 2013

Tasty Wheat
Jul 18, 2012

inignot posted:

What VSAT system are you using that speaks frame relay?

These days they are called Harris CapRock Communications.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

Ozu posted:

This guy created a PS script that will import 25k users into AD along with attributes filled from Fake Name Generator.

http://www.wictorwilen.se/how-to-use-powershell-to-populate-active-directory-with-plenty-enough-users-for-sharepoint

This is sexy and I'm totally gonna try it. :circlefap:

forever gold
Jan 14, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I hit a snag in my CCNA studies...I've spent about 6 days on Lammle's chapter on VLANs...maybe I'm just burned out. Is that the hardest topic on the syllabus?

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Does anyone actually use frame relay any more? Surely it's so drat slow at this point that it is no longer useful.

I know of one major too big to fail bank that still uses it.

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

CheeseSpawn posted:

I know of one major too big to fail bank that still uses it.

9-1-1 services still deploy and use frame relay for ALI services.

Tasty Wheat
Jul 18, 2012

forever gold posted:

I hit a snag in my CCNA studies...I've spent about 6 days on Lammle's chapter on VLANs...maybe I'm just burned out. Is that the hardest topic on the syllabus?

Always though that subnetting was the worst

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Tasty Wheat posted:

Always though that subnetting was the worst

I've always heard subnetting to be the worst. I suspect it's because every trainer has their own little method for it, and most all of them are god-awful. :colbert:

Right now I'm bashing my head against the STP chapters in Odom's 200-101 book. Not because it's hard and I don't get it, mind you, but because it's so incredibly tedious and I know I'll just gently caress myself over come test time if I jump past them.

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.
A company was talking about hiring me on, contingent on me getting a Solaris 11 System Admin cert within the first few weeks. 1Z0-821, I'd imagine. Anybody take a Solaris cert before? The only study materials I can find is the official Oracle book.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I don't remember how I learned subnetting. I just kind of got it one day. Once you know it it's super easy, though.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

Sulphuric Sundae posted:

A company was talking about hiring me on, contingent on me getting a Solaris 11 System Admin cert within the first few weeks. 1Z0-821, I'd imagine. Anybody take a Solaris cert before? The only study materials I can find is the official Oracle book.

I did the old ones but stopped doing Solaris stuff before 11 came out. Here are some notes a guy put together for the 10 -> 11 upgrade exam, they might help.

http://simplex.swordsaint.net/?p=73

psydude posted:

I don't remember how I learned subnetting. I just kind of got it one day. Once you know it it's super easy, though.

Yeah it took me a few hours but once it clicked it's cake. This is alright http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/38772-subnetting-made-easy.html and the Todd Lammle method is good too. To practice you can use http://www.subnettingquestions.com/ and http://www.subnetting.net/Default.aspx to practice.

Tasty Wheat
Jul 18, 2012

psydude posted:

I know exactly when I got it, The Bryant Advantage, even had it in college and at a bootcamp.

tl;dr binary math and subnetting, that's how I roll.

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011
I would say subnetting and ACL's give people the most problem in the CCNA courses. However they are not difficult to understand. Subnetting is one of those things that you suddenly just "get", and after a while you can do it in your head. Of course you can use a subnet calc on the job, but knowing how it works is essential. ACL's are extremely easy if you have any programming experience since it is similar.

On that subject, I have recently completed the CCNA courses. Obviously I am going to be taking the CCNA exam. I plan on getting at least one more cert over the summer. If you could have the CCNA and one other cert, what would it be? My focus is system/network administration.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

God, just wait until you get to ROUTE and 3/4 of the damned book is using ACLs or prefix lists in one way or another.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

psydude posted:

I learned it when taking the MCSA, of all things.

Graviolies
Mar 23, 2004

Just out of curiosity is there a Cisco simulator or emulator that can be run from a thumb drive and be portable? I've hit a snag where my netbook I've somehow been using for gns3 finally started refusing to cooperate and now I'm looking at alternatives to learn away from home.

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

Graviolies posted:

Just out of curiosity is there a Cisco simulator or emulator that can be run from a thumb drive and be portable? I've hit a snag where my netbook I've somehow been using for gns3 finally started refusing to cooperate and now I'm looking at alternatives to learn away from home.

Packet Tracer

*edit*

psydude posted:

God, just wait until you get to ROUTE and 3/4 of the damned book is using ACLs or prefix lists in one way or another.

Oh hell yeah, they can get complicated, just like programming. However most people struggle with the fundamentals of ACLs, and I think it's mostly because they've been told how hard it is, like subnetting.

That being said, I'd rather NOT have to write ACLs ever again. Fat chance.

Gweenz fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 11, 2013

Haydez
Apr 8, 2003

EVIL LINK
I like me some ACLs except I absolutely hate wildcards. I came from the ASA world though where at least they're masks. ugh.

I just got the monthly subscription to INE a couple days ago. $99 hurts right now with my first little one on the way in a few months but I really dig it. The CBT Nuggets for the CCNP Security SECURE weren't very good for me but the INE videos are a little easier to keep with.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
JUNOS Firewall-Filters for life!

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
I really don't understand why subnetting by hand/in your head is even a thing on tests any more when everyone has a smartphone now and you can just use a subnet calculator on there...

Against my will, it appears that I'm back into Windows sysadmin. Now, on the plus side, I have an employer that will pay for (passed) exams for now.

I'm thinking I might do something like this to get my certs up to date (even though I already have the skills; my MCSE is in 2000): MCITP/MCSA 2008 --> Upgrade to 2012 test (I forget which exam # this is but I know it exists).

I used to have all three of the MS books for the MCITP 2008 but I lent the 70-640 book to someone and never got it back a couple of years ago. I've heard good things about the Pearson 70-640 guide; does anyone here have it that could comment?

Gweenz posted:

Packet Tracer

It should be noted that unless you are a Cisco Academy student, the only way to get this is :filez:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Against my will, it appears that I'm back into Windows sysadmin. Now, on the plus side, I have an employer that will pay for (passed) exams for now.

Congrats on finding work again so fast. Hopefully this place is less of an rear end in a top hat to you :unsmith:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

routenull0 posted:

JUNOS Firewall-Filters for life!

We are about to forklift core switches, distribution switches and firewalls all to Juniper. Been impressed working with them so far.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Do you guys have a place that you have had good experiences with in the Boston area? I am looking to do my coursework for a VCP and there are a few outfits that seem to offer the courses. Also is there a better way to search for providers than the vmware search? It is loving terrible. The finest search you can do is country + time zone which gives me NYC and others when I just want Boston and surrounding area.

EDIT: I have heard negative things about New Horizons. Not sure if others can corroborate.

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jun 12, 2013

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Moey posted:

We are about to forklift core switches, distribution switches and firewalls all to Juniper. Been impressed working with them so far.

Only Cisco we are deploying is the required Cisco CBS-xxxx models in the Dell / HP Bladecenters, our Edge - Juniper M/MX/T Series, Core - Juniper EX8200/EX9200, Distribution - Juniper EX4500, Access that isn't Cisco - EX4200/3200. Security wise we deploy SRX/ISG2000/Netscreen5400

Every vendor has their strengths when it comes to their software/hardware, but after cutting my teeth on CATOS and PIX years go and transitioning up through IOS / IOS-XE / IOS-XR and now NX-OS, I'd have to say, if I had to choose based solely on OS, I'd go Juniper JUNOS. ScreenOS isn't true Juniper as it was an acquisition via Netscreen (obviously), but they have ported the majority of the zone-based firewall features into the SRX lines (and a few others like the older J-series) if you are running them in flow-based mode instead of packet-based.

I don't particularly care for how JUNOS handles some of the settings when it comes to L2 switchport configuration, but that could be because IOS makes configuring a switchport stupid easy and everything related to that interface is right there. For example in IOS, your switchport port-security settings are under the interface itself, but in JUNOS it is in a separate part of the config.

The majority of my complaints for IOS/JUNOS are almost 100% configuration implementation/change related, each does something amazingly well that the other just hasn't caught up with yet, and they each have their reasons why. Cisco IOS-XR has made leaps and bounds from "classic" IOS and has moved to a more modular based configuration from what I've seen, so I have high hopes.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I took the 70-336 Lync deployment test yesterday and it's a doozy. Really not looking forward to the 70-337 if they used to be all in one cert. I consider it a fair test, one that really highlighted my ill-preparedness. It doesn't help that Lync is a big complicated package of software, and sometimes things aren't intuitive. I use Lync all the time, but the deployment process, the troubleshooting, which type of policy governs setting x, etc. is still so much esoterica. You would just have to know the product to pass the test, which I guess is a testament to its quality.

jgamer
Oct 21, 2010
I'm looking to sign up for the A+ cert, and even took a course a few years back in high school, though I never took the exam and wound up doing other things for the past few years. Should I be taking the 700 or 800 exam?

penga86
Aug 26, 2003

GIG 'EM

jgamer posted:

I'm looking to sign up for the A+ cert, and even took a course a few years back in high school, though I never took the exam and wound up doing other things for the past few years. Should I be taking the 700 or 800 exam?

CompTIA A+ 220-801 covers the fundamentals of computer technology, installation and configuration of PCs, laptops and related hardware, and basic networking.

CompTIA A+ 220-802 covers the skills required to install and configure PC operating systems, as well as configuring common features (e.g. network connectivity and email) for mobile operating systems Android and Apple iOS.

The previous version of the CompTIA A+ certification, exam codes 220-701 and 220-702, will be available through Aug. 31, 2013. You can take either the two 700 series exams or the two 800 series exams to become CompTIA A+ certified.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Was getting set to take the A+ tomorrow, but it seems like all the testing locations listed in my area (columbus oh) are tech schools that don't allow nonstudents to test there. I have to be missing something here.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

BKPR posted:

Was getting set to take the A+ tomorrow, but it seems like all the testing locations listed in my area (columbus oh) are tech schools that don't allow nonstudents to test there. I have to be missing something here.

Pearson VUE was where I did my testing for A+, did you look at their site?

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Yeah. The five centers it listed were a community college and four tech schools. the site for the community college made it seem like the facilities were only for students and employees, and the one tech school I could get a hold of by phone said the same thing. Suppose I should just try expanding the search.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I took my CCNA at a community college and my S+ at a university. I wasn't a student at either. But depending upon where you live you may need to drive farther.

SilentGeek
Jul 24, 2011

BKPR posted:

Yeah. The five centers it listed were a community college and four tech schools. the site for the community college made it seem like the facilities were only for students and employees, and the one tech school I could get a hold of by phone said the same thing. Suppose I should just try expanding the search.

Were you not able to schedule the test through the Pearson VUE website? That's how I scheduled mine, though the earliest slot I could get was a couple of weeks in the future because the testing centers were already booked up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
I decided to see if my local community college has any interesting IT related courses since my courseload is going to be lax fairly soon and....

18 credit hours for a CCNA class spread over 3 semesters? What?

code:
First Semester
CPT 102 Basic Computer Concepts 3
IST 201 Cisco Internetworking Concepts 3
IST 220 Data Communications 3
Total 9
Second Semester
IST 202 Cisco Router Configuration 3
IST 203 Advanced Cisco Router 
Configuration 3
Total 6
Third Semester