Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kristopher
Jun 28, 2006
:mad: You guys just made the son of our father's murderer our BFF. D! King Butt killed our father. We'll kill his son. This is something that distantly resembles justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

FoxTerrier posted:

Just throwing this out there...but F voters: When we're caught sneaking out with Danal, it's going to look like we're untrustworthy at worst and irresponsible/reckless at best. People are going to want to know why the kings son is sneaking off in the middle of the night, and they're not going to blame the 5 year old.

Do we really want to be thought too irresponsible to watch over our only friend?

Us getting into trouble along with Danal is better for our relationship with Danal. At least at 11 years old it appears to the adults that we were being childish, but Danal will like us more if we get in trouble alongside him than squealing on him.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Not A. This is a terrible idea and we know better.

Tudhalias
Sep 7, 2009
J
Shake our head, and pile two things on top of each other. Any two things that come to hand-- a rock and a leaf, a fuzzy-monster turd and a piece of bark, anything. If nothing comes to hand, just scoop up some dirt and shape it into a little hill.
Point at the awesome-cool tower of two things and say "Baitel!"
Then, a foot or so away, pile another tower of any two things. Point at our second tower and say "Zelpah!" Continue piling things on Zelpah. Build Zelpah higher! Ours will be the highest, rockingest Zelpah ever! Better than the real Zelpah, because ours has more moss we scooped off the forest floor! WOW I SURE HOPE DANAL DOESN'T BUILD BAITEL HIGHER THAN ZELPAH!
Motion for him to join in. It is too late for spear tag, but it's never too late to play Legos!

Tudhalias fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 4, 2013

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Zybourne Clock posted:

Partly because fake dad beat us whenever we shirked our duties, partly because we simply didn't know any better. To the best of our knowledge, before we met our saviors, everyone in our village prayed to Asherah and we were destined to become the next priest. Fake dad decided our future for us, and it's not like we had any say in the matter. We worshiped Asherah and accepted our future because it was expected of us.

Jalitha told us a lot of stories, one of which was about Sky Giants saving women and children in need. Even when we were very young, we knew Jalitha and us were different from the rest of the villagers. Other children wouldn't play with us, and we were the only two people in town to receive regular beatings. Then one day this strange guy comes to our town. Fake dad tries to strike him down with a light show, and the stranger simply laughs off the attack. A stranger who glows with golden light and claims to be a servant of the very god Jalitha spoke of. It's been some time since we left the tribe and, as far as we know, the world hasn't ended yet. In my opinion, that makes it very believable for Enkidel to acknowledge that El is the stronger god. It's not that we now deny Asherah's existence, it's that we consider him unworthy of our worship. El has been much nicer to us than fish god ever was, so I don't think the change of religion is strange at all.

Think about, for a forum anecdote, how many economically poor or otherwise disadvantaged people will stick fanatically to the Republican party, or how many homosexual people end up self-hating and adhering rigorously to church doctrines. And then note that a fanatical religious upbringing is exactly what we've had.

Changing religion or deciding that Asherah shouldn't be worshipped is one thing. Doing so immediately, without the slightest reservation, as a little traumatized child, is kind of absurd. Many people come to realize that their ideals and their life-situations don't match up, and reevaluate their beliefs, but it rarely happens quickly, quietly, or easily.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
A is for Adventure.
A is for Audacity.
A is for Awesome.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

I'm ultimately in favour of dropping ashera eventually, but even I agree we can't just drop it right away. At this point we should be feeling confused and conflicted, and unsure of what to believe.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Theglavwen posted:

Think about, for a forum anecdote, how many economically poor or otherwise disadvantaged people will stick fanatically to the Republican party, or how many homosexual people end up self-hating and adhering rigorously to church doctrines. And then note that a fanatical religious upbringing is exactly what we've had.

Changing religion or deciding that Asherah shouldn't be worshipped is one thing. Doing so immediately, without the slightest reservation, as a little traumatized child, is kind of absurd. Many people come to realize that their ideals and their life-situations don't match up, and reevaluate their beliefs, but it rarely happens quickly, quietly, or easily.

For what it's worth, a kid could just as easily decide to just do what everyone else is doing around him, because that is what they're doing and they don't want to get in trouble. That's if you need an in-character justification for this; Enkidel didn't want to get in trouble, so Enkidel prayed to El.

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007
Lets save the risk-aversion for the CYOA about a basket weaver, A.

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.
cool the boring option is winning again what a surprise.

A because D has no shot in hell.

XOXO
Mar 8, 2013

Ask me about being weaker than a 60 year-old British woman.

I was hoping to one day kill the King in front of his son for true vengeance, but this will do.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

SerSpook posted:

For what it's worth, a kid could just as easily decide to just do what everyone else is doing around him, because that is what they're doing and they don't want to get in trouble. That's if you need an in-character justification for this; Enkidel didn't want to get in trouble, so Enkidel prayed to El.

I could get behind that reasoning. If Og/Enkidel is going with these guys because he's trying to keep his head down and not make waves around the guys who just lopped his dad's head off I buy it. I can even get behind Og/Enkidel making friends with the kid because god knows he'll need someone to relate to when he's alone among all these weird foreigners, and a kid is his best shot.

If Og/Enkidel is going with these guys because he thinks they're all totally cool and screw everything he's learned up until now, then he's acting really abnormally.

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

A.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Not A. Something will go wrong, we'll get blamed for it because we're older than Danal and should have known better.

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009
G, wake Barkof. Let's be sensible grown-ups.

baby picture
Aug 7, 2004

I wish I could press a button and a rope would instantly tie around my ankle and I would be hung out of the highest window of the highest skyscraper in the world

"Trip" over someone while yelling "Owwwww."
Take care not to land on something sharp and bronze.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
June04[18:09::20]Tuesday <Diog> He is a physical constant, the speed being: One sojenus falling per sojenus, squared.
Just dropping in to say you might see Sojenus pop up on Ohyo's CYOA some time this year.
I am not making a guarantee.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Even I think option D is a bit far out there this time. In any case, Danals probably way stronger than he looks if his fathers a favored of El. This would be the choice that would lead us to KingChopping. Although this could arguably end up almost as bad if it gets interpreted the wrong way ie; First night at camp, we steal weapons/and lead the kings son to running away into the unknown cannibal forest (what kid in their right mind wants to go play games in the middle of the night after a long hard day of getting their world turned upside down?)

Although in saying that, going back to sleep is boring, A for Asherah Adventure!, "you play your dad I'll play mine" :v:

Also; Eagerly awaiting the skeletons in Els worship closet that show he isn't quite the paragon of justice and mercy everyone seems to think he is.

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jun 5, 2013

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.

Theglavwen posted:

I agree, this indeed how things would work out in the real world. But you shouldn't forget that Jalitha foretold we would be saved by El and his angels, and that Tudiya appeared before us as a literal deus ex machina. Such magic doesn't exist in the real world, so we really don't have a frame of reference to say which reaction is the right one. A sudden change of religion fits the narrative just as well as retaining our old religion does.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

B

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

XOXO posted:

I was hoping to one day kill the King in front of his son for true vengeance, but this will do.

Slake my bloodthirst before it it mashed under the logical heels of adulthood.

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

I like B

UppaTree
May 4, 2013

Well drat, we're traitors. Couldn't even go with an insincere prayer to El, could we?

Ah well, I tried. Given our options, I vore Adventure time!

..So we can save Donal's rear end and impress upon him the might of Asherah.

This is an irresponsible idea, but then, we *are* irresponsible. He's six, we're eleven lots of years old, and our childhood diversions included swimming alone in the ocean, which we wholeheartedly believed was full of a cannibal fishgod's children.

Let's show this kid how we do things back home - only without the cannibalism part.

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013
Voting C

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
C. I think this is a terrible plan, but the kid seems to be set on it, so we should at least make sure he doesn't get eaten without us.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Mr. Wednesday posted:

Wake Barkof

Regardless of Danal's physical size, his maturity clearly reflects his actual age (~5 years old). Encouraging the king's 5-year-old son to venture off into danger is incredibly irresponsible, and at 11 we'll probably be expected to know that.

Unless infant adventuring is a normal Labarasian stage of development or something.

Voting for the above.

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

I selflessly rescued an abandoned cat during the COVID-19 Pandemic :3:

A reluctant C

We really should wake an adult but its okay if we're going to keep Danal out of trouble, right?

edit: changing my vote!

Natalie Fartman fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 5, 2013

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

Schizotek posted:

A is for Adventure.
A is for Audacity.
A is for Awesome.

This.

We're in the age of legends. Let's live like it.

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009

Mr. Wednesday posted:

Wake Barkof

Regardless of Danal's physical size, his maturity clearly reflects his actual age (~5 years old). Encouraging the king's 5-year-old son to venture off into danger is incredibly irresponsible, and at 11 we'll probably be expected to know that.

Unless infant adventuring is a normal Labarasian stage of development or something.

I like this. Voting wake barkoff, but try to do it in a way that doesn't make our new friend feel betrayed. Act like we want him in the game or something.

Random Idiot
Mar 15, 2001
Look at all of these people who are so terrified of something bad happening that they will vote for the safe and boring option every time. You all need a lesson from Big Teddy R.

Teddy Roosevelt posted:

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

J, as a variation on A where we pretend to be Asherah, hunting to satisfy his great hunger.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Zybourne Clock posted:

I agree, this indeed how things would work out in the real world. But you shouldn't forget that Jalitha foretold we would be saved by El and his angels, and that Tudiya appeared before us as a literal deus ex machina. Such magic doesn't exist in the real world, so we really don't have a frame of reference to say which reaction is the right one. A sudden change of religion fits the narrative just as well as retaining our old religion does.

It's fair enough, I don't mean to come off as though I think it's absolutely unforgivable or anything. I think it's the 'wrong' choice, as in, not as good as the alternative, for a variety of reasons, but it can work perfectly feasibly. I'm not sure that it fits 'just as well', but seeing as the character is, ultimately, a product of the votes, I'm perfectly happy to adopt/make up some justification for why the character's acting the way he is, and continue to vote in keeping with the 'new' character.

It's just that some justifications take a lot more work than others.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
D

We don't have lightning bolts but let's see how many spears in the chest Danal can take. It's time to embrace Ashera. Stop licking the boots of El and Co.

DCBomB
Sep 14, 2008

SerSpook posted:

If we spent time with Pagam I'd have been all over C, but we have lovely forest skills.

I'm still mad about everyone else putting Pagam last.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

SerSpook posted:

Assuming that Shushem told the truth is kind of silly on this topic, considering the reveals we've had regarding parentage. He had every reason to lie about our birth, and no one had any real incentive to tell us anything considering everyone feared him. Jalitha, on the other hand, has seemingly told the truth about most everything. There are other indications beyond her word about the cannibalism, about her being our mother, and the truth of the big villages has been confirmed.

I'm not assuming shushem told the truth about anything in this instance, that was one of the info dumps that came from general knowledge of the village rather than from asking Dad. Diogines, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but I went back to the relevant post and believe that my interpretation is correct.

cxp
Mar 27, 2010
Fun Shoe
A is for Adventure time!

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Random Idiot posted:

Look at all of these people who are so terrified of something bad happening that they will vote for the safe and boring option every time. You all need a lesson from Big Teddy R.

Would Big Teddy R risk a six-year-old's life for fun? :colbert:

If we're going to be heroic, let's do it without endangering innocent lives.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
C. Such a terrible plan, I love terrible plans.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
F